The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• Yes, you still have Left Behind. I'm not going to give away much, but it does go more in detail about Ellie and Riley.

I'm excited to play it, there's a picture of them and a description about the story on the cover of my game.

There arent, Joel lied. Ellie is the only one.

I guess I didn't pay attention, thanks.

ah youre so damn lucky. I remember playing tlou at launch and thinking "god please let there be another one" Now after 5 years of waiting, we finally will.

I can't even imagine your reaction watching the Trailer of part 2 after 5 years waiting.

And yes, please, play left behind. Now. And I suggest you record your reaction for it. You'll want to have it.

I don't think I'll have enough storage haha.
    Wow I saw several people who liked Left Behind more than the main game. Let's see if the same thing will happen to me.
    Question: How long does "Left Behind" last?

• I can't even imagine your reaction watching the Trailer of part 2 after 5 years waiting.

I found out while in the car, my friend told me and I didn't believe them. I did a quick search and all I see is Ellie's older face, I threw the phone and yelled. I actually cried after that I couldn't contain myself. There's a video of me freaking out, have to ask my brother if he has it.

Wow I saw several people who liked Left Behind more than the main game. Let's see if the same thing will happen to me.

I love both dearly but replay LB wayyy more than the first. Both masterpieces.

It's about 2 hours.

MegaXD posted: »

Yes, you still have Left Behind. I'm not going to give away much, but it does go more in detail about Ellie and Riley. I'm excited t

• There arent, Joel lied. Ellie is the only one.

Joel may have lied, but weren't there others at one point? Isn't there an audio log near the final room where Marlene talks about all these other kids who were immune but they all failed on making a serum from them?

Now they won't even try to find a cure, and there are dozens of people with the same immunity as Ellie. There arent, Joel lied. El

• Ah, yes. That ending.
    Did Joel lie?
    Does Ellie believe him?
    Will the fireflies ever bother them again?
    Ahh the memories. The theories...

You do still have Left Behind, so go enjoy that! Best relationship and interactions of the whole game is contained in that little bit of DLC. I adore it.

So... The Last Of Us ends with Ellie saying "Ok" after Joel swears that everything he said about the fireflies is true? What??? Is that all?

• I found out while in the car, my friend told me and I didn't believe them. I did a quick search and all I see is Ellie's older face, I threw the phone and yelled. I actually cried after that I couldn't contain myself. There's a video of me freaking out, have to ask my brother if he has it.

I would pretty much have the same reaction, I finished tlou today and I'm excited af for part 2, I would freak out and die if I was in your situation.

I love both dearly but replay LB wayyy more than the first. Both masterpieces. It's about 2 hours.

Thanks, do you play LB more because you like it more or because it lasts much less?

• Ah, yes. That ending. Did Joel lie? Does Ellie believe him? Will the fireflies ever bother them again? Ahh the memories. The theories... You do still have Left Behind, so go enjoy that! Best relationship and interactions of the whole game is contained in that little bit of DLC. I adore it.

Thanksssss I'm so happy I still have LB
    And yeah I'm with a lot of questions, at the end I was like "what".

• Later is better than never.
    I played TLOU for the first time only last year. I did watch gameplay of the first part of the game though (up until before Tess reveals her bite). I wish I didn't, but I still enjoyed it.

Man, reading your experience of playing The Last Of Us makes me really want to play it again... But I wanted the next time I played it to be with my brother on the PS4, but... I don't know when that'll be.

But yeah, it was cool reading your experience! I'm glad you enjoyed the game.
    But y'know what's weird is how it seems like most peoples reactions and feelings toward the game are so similar, except for everyone's interpretation of the ending.

So... The Last Of Us ends with Ellie saying "Ok" after Joel swears that everything he said about the fireflies is true? What??? Is that all?

• Marlene talks about all these other kids who were immune but they all failed
    on making a serum from them?

* spits out coffee * WHATTHE--?!
    Where did you find that? I've found all the collectibles and I don't remember a recording like that!

AChicken posted: »

There arent, Joel lied. Ellie is the only one. Joel may have lied, but weren't there others at one point? Isn't there an audio log n

• edited January 2018

Again, I could be wrong, I haven't played TLOU in a long time, so I barely remember anything about the collectibles.

Edit:
    Okay, you find this Surgeon's recording near the end of the game:

"April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain."

Though it seems I'm wrong and am just misinterpreting what he's saying. Some people have pointed out the sentence separation of Ellie and "other patients", and the others that the Doc mentions are most likely infected patients - though not immune like Ellie.

"The cause of her immunity is uncertain. [<-- notice the period] As we've seen in all past cases, [referring to Infected, not immune]..."

The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen.

Marlene talks about all these other kids who were immune but they all failed on making a serum from them? * spits out coffee * WH

• edited January 2018

Yeah, that was the recording I was thinking about because the surgeon clearly states that Ellie's case is unique.

I've seen lot's of other people say that Joel wasn't lying because of what one of the audio logs says.
    I always wondered what audio log it is that they're talking about and what it is that gets misinterpreted.

But I can tell Joel's lying anyway. If you watch him carefully, he takes a huge gulp after he says "they've actually... stopped looking for a cure.".

Again, I could be wrong, I haven't played TLOU in a long time, so I barely remember anything about the collectibles. Edit: Okay, you fin

• I certainly hope you weren't driving the car while that happened.

I can't even imagine your reaction watching the Trailer of part 2 after 5 years waiting. I found out while in the car, my friend tol

• edited January 2018

Okay, you find this Surgeon's recording near the end of the game: "April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain." Though it seems I'm wrong and am just misinterpreting what he's saying. Some people have pointed out the sentence separation of Ellie and "other patients", and the others that the Doc mentions are most likely infected patients - though not immune like Ellie.

I found the same recording, and two from Marlene but she doesn't say anything about other immune kids.
    And when I heard the Surgeon's recording I thought he was only talking about Ellie. The other pacientes were most likely "infected" and not immune. He said he never saw something like Ellie's infection.

• edited January 2018

Ok I'm going to start playing Left Behind now, but before, I looked at the stats and it says that I spent 32:13:20 hours playing. I think it took me longer than everyone here lol

• Well, then those were 32 hours well spent. I hope you'll keep going back to it every now and then.

Enjoy Left Behind!

Ok I'm going to start playing Left Behind now, but before, I looked at the stats and it says that I spent 32:13:20 hours playing. I think it took me longer than everyone here lol

• There were never others. Ellie is the only one.

There arent, Joel lied. Ellie is the only one. Joel may have lied, but weren't there others at one point? Isn't there an audio log n

• Ah, yes. That ending.

Did Joel lie? Yes, 100%
    Does Ellie believe him? No, 100%
    Will the fireflies ever bother them again? Yes

Ah, yes. That ending. Did Joel lie? Does Ellie believe him? Will the fireflies ever bother them again? Ahh the memories. The theories

• Thanks, do you play LB more because you like it more or because it lasts much less?

I like them both equally but I find myself wanting to replay LB more.

I found out while in the car, my friend told me and I didn't believe them. I did a quick search and all I see is Ellie's older face, I threw

• Fortunately no

I certainly hope you weren't driving the car while that happened.

• Dont worry, it takes people even longer sometimes. In the year 2017 I played TLOU for over 200 hours.

• edited January 2018

Well, then those were 32 hours well spent. I hope you'll keep going back to it every now and then. Enjoy Left Behind!

Thanks, I definetly will replay a lot times.
    Left Behind, hard mode: I'm currently in the part where Ellie is trying not to fall into the electrified water.
    It was awful trying to kill those Stalkers. Again, I died a lot there.

I was kind of confused at first because I thought Left Behind would only tell Ellie and Riley's story, but we can also know everything she did before arriving at that house with Joel, and I really enjoyed it.

So, Ellie is in a military school or something like that. Riley was there too but she left and became a firefly thanks to Marlene.

Their friendship is very beautiful, I laughed a lot of times. Ellie didn't accept the drink because I was too slow and the option disappeared. (I was going to take the bottle)
    Edit: also, I won the mini competition of breaking the windows of the car asked Riley why she left without telling me anything. Well... she didn't answer my question.
    For now everything is going well, I'm excited to see what's Riley's surprise, maybe a dinosaur haha

• edited January 2018

BRICK...FUCKING...MASTER! And unfortunately, it’s not a dinosaur.

Well, then those were 32 hours well spent. I hope you'll keep going back to it every now and then. Enjoy Left Behind! Thanks, I defi

• Ugh I cant wait till you get to that part

Well, then those were 32 hours well spent. I hope you'll keep going back to it every now and then. Enjoy Left Behind! Thanks, I defi

• edited January 2018

BRICK...FUCKING...MASTER! And unfortunately, it’s not a dinosaur.

Fuck, I wanted a dinosaur.

Ugh I cant wait till you get to that part

You're really making me intrigued

I'll continue to play now . At 3:30 AM lmao I slept all day (I was tired, decided to sleep for 30 minutes, then I woke up at 9PM yay)

• Okay... left behind ended... fuck...omg so many things happened... god I feel so empty... ugh I'm so pissed why did Riley have to die??!!!!!

• Anytime's a good time to play it!
    Screw life, I was playing TLOU at crazy hours too.

BRICK...FUCKING...MASTER! And unfortunately, it’s not a dinosaur. Fuck, I wanted a dinosaur. Ugh I cant wait till you get to t

• If Riley hadn't of died, Ellie would never have met Joel and The Last Of Us would have never happened.
    All the events are connected.

Okay... left behind ended... fuck...omg so many things happened... god I feel so empty... ugh I'm so pissed why did Riley have to die??!!!!!

• HOLY SHIT.
    THE KISS.
    WHAT.
    SO.
    ELLIE IS GAY, SHE LIKES GIRLS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. Or maybe she's bi idk. When Ellie said "don't go" they were so close to each other and when Ellie kisses Riley I was completely shocked, I'm still in shock, I'm so happy too, the kiss was adorable, I always think someone is straight at first but tbh I didn't care about Ellie's sexuality, I don't care about anyone's sexuality, personality is what matters and your sexuality doesn't change anything, so why would I dislike someone bc of this? Now that I know that Ellie is gay or bi I'm so happy I like her character even more.
    But happiness lasts little, so the runners appeared and ruined everything. Where the fuck did they came from.

I won the water guns war.
    The photo scene was really cute, their faces were so funny, especially the "sexy" poses lmao. I chose the three options: cool, friends and romance.

The hardest part definetly was to kill all the hunters that were trying to enter the place where Joel was. I was very stressed in that part. Died a lot of times (again)

If Riley hadn't of died, Ellie would never have met Joel and The Last Of Us would have never happened. All the events are connected.

True, also if Riley wasn't there, I guess Ellie would have killed herself, she wouldn't just wait to turn. (Honestly no one would want to turn, right?) But Riley wanted to spend her last few moments with Ellie, until the last second. And I find this beautiful.

Anyway the end still pisses me off.
    I wonder what happened, did Ellie have to kill Riley when she turned? I think so.

I played hard mode.

• Apparently Ellie is just gay, but if I'm being honest, the first time I played Left Behind, I thought it meant that Ellie was bi. Apparently I'm the only one who saw it this way, but I really thought her and Sam were hitting it off. It seemed like they had a really good connection and I honestly thought they were trying to build something there between them (you know, before he got bit). And I've played through this game and Left Behind multiple times, and I STILL think that her and Sam could have been a thing had he lived. Nothing against Riley because LB did a great job in how it handled their relationship without it coming off as forced or pandering, that was just how I interpreted it.

With that being said, while LB is a great DLC that adds a lot to Ellie's character and the story of TLOU as a whole, I never got why so many people make such a big deal about Ellie's sexuality, as if the revelation that her being gay is what makes the DLC or her and Riley's characters great. Whether she be straight, gay, bi, or even asexual, I don't see how that necessarily enhances or worsens a character. That's not me being homophobic or anything, I think the way Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog conveyed and developed their relationship made the ultimate reveal shocking, but expected. Like I said, it wasn't pandering, the content was there that justifies it and it was beautifully handled and executed (especially the last scene of them together when they decide to wait it out and they end up spending Riley's last moments together), I just don't know why it's such this big thing that Ellie be gay and whatnot, as if that's all there is to her character and nothing else.

I won the water guns war.

You bastard. I always win the brick throwing competition, but I can never win the water gun fight. I don't know how, but Riley always finds a way to beat me, I hate her for this.

I wonder what happened, did Ellie have to kill Riley when she turned? I think so.

I would imagine so, and if this did happen, this would make her conviction to use herself to help and find a cure, even at the cost of her own life, even more important. Like she said at the end of the main game, she's still waiting for her turn.

HOLY SHIT. THE KISS. WHAT. SO. ELLIE IS GAY, SHE LIKES GIRLS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. Or maybe she's bi idk. When Ellie said "don't g

• edited January 2018

Apparently Ellie is just gay, but if I'm being honest, the first time I played Left Behind, I thought it meant that Ellie was bi. Apparently I'm the only one who saw it this way, but I really thought her and Sam were hitting it off. It seemed like they had a really good connection and I honestly thought they were trying to build something there between them (you know, before he got bit). And I've played through this game and Left Behind multiple times, and I STILL think that her and Sam could have been a thing had he lived. Nothing against Riley because LB did a great job in how it handled their relationship without it coming off as forced or pandering, that was just how I interpreted it.

No, you're not the only one. That's why I said "or maybe bi". Because of Sam, when I was playing TLOU, I thought they had really good chemistry and if he hadn't died I think they would have a more serious relationship, if you go to one of my previous posts, I say something about them being a couple, "they could've been great friends, even a couple". But I didn't want to assume anything about it.

With that being said, while LB is a great DLC that adds a lot to Ellie's character and the story of TLOU as a whole, I never got why so many people make such a big deal about Ellie's sexuality, as if the revelation that her being gay is what makes the DLC or her and Riley's characters great. Whether she be straight, gay, bi, or even asexual, I don't see how that necessarily enhances or worsens a character. That's not me being homophobic or anything, I think the way Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog conveyed and developed their relationship made the ultimate reveal shocking, but expected.

As I said before, I personally don't care about Ellie's sexuality. If Riley was a guy, I'd still be happy about it. Before the kiss scene, I was completely enjoying the game. I never thought or said LB was good or not because of that scene and I didn't make such a big deal about it, I was happier and a little shocked because I kinda didn't expect the kiss. ("kinda", for a second I thought they were going to kiss after the photo scene, where they were just looking at each other) and yes it was expected at the dance scene.

You bastard. I always win the brick throwing competition, but I can never win the water gun fight. I don't know how, but Riley always finds a way to beat me, I hate her for this.

lmao she managed to shoot me twice but then I shot her three times in a row.

Like she said at the end of the main game, she's still waiting for her turn

Now that scene makes sense, kinda sad...

• Lol yea, shes either gay or bi, hasnt been stated yet. Best part in the game.

HOLY SHIT. THE KISS. WHAT. SO. ELLIE IS GAY, SHE LIKES GIRLS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. Or maybe she's bi idk. When Ellie said "don't g

• edited January 2018

I am genuinely shocked that you don't know that Neil Druckmann confirmed that Ellie was written to be gay.

Lol yea, shes either gay or bi, hasnt been stated yet. Best part in the game.

• edited January 2018

I thought she was bi at first after playing LB too...

Apparently Ellie is just gay, but if I'm being honest, the first time I played Left Behind, I thought it meant that Ellie was bi. Apparently

• I never thought or said LB was good or not because of that scene and I didn't make such a big deal about it

I wasn’t saying you were, I’m sorry if my comment came off that way, I’m just saying that there are some fans who really make a big deal out of that scene or her being gay.

Apparently Ellie is just gay, but if I'm being honest, the first time I played Left Behind, I thought it meant that Ellie was bi. Apparently

• I wasn’t saying you were, I’m sorry if my comment came off that way, I’m just saying that there are some fans who really make a big deal out of that scene or her being gay.

It's okay, I knew you weren't talking about me, that's why I said "I personally don't care..."
    I can't imagine people's reactions back in 2014, I mean, now the lgbt characters are more common and accepted than at the time, 4 yrs ago.

• I am genuinely shocked that you don't know that Neil Druckmann confirmed that Ellie was written to be gay.

no chance for Sam then lmao

• edited January 2018

I don't she's into the mushroom-people thing.

I am genuinely shocked that you don't know that Neil Druckmann confirmed that Ellie was written to be gay. no chance for Sam then lmao

• I strongly believe that Ellie might have depression in Part II.
    I mean, after all she's been through, who wouldn't?
    That feeling of emptyness that everyone seems to get after completing TLOU, that must be how Ellie feels at the end.

I'd like to see how Neil Druckmann would tackle mental health in TLOU. It's the perfect setting for that.

• I don't she's into the mushroom-people thing

What??

• 'Cause Sam turns into an infected.
    It was a lame, cold joke, sorry.

I don't she's into the mushroom-people thing What??

• edited January 2018

now the lgbt characters are more common and accepted than at the time, 4 yrs ago.

So i could be completely wrong but they were some Lgbt characters way before The Last Of Us i guess Ellie is more popular now but i'm pretty sure other games did that and people weren't complaining about it.
    So yeah it's really weird but right now the only memory i have is in that old FMV game Phantasmagoria 2 that guy Trevor was gay also the protagonist liked him.
    But i'm just being annoying and you probably don't give a damn about Phantasmagoria 2.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.