Tales from the Borderlands 2 - Concept Trailer - [Unofficial]

edited July 2020 in General Chat

Do you like to cringe and not cringe at the same time? Then I got the video for you!

Yes I made another one. Forgive me. But hey different game this time! You'll probably notice right away the focus on this one is not so much gameplay innovations unlike the other ones. Instead this one is a lot more focused on direction. So if you ever wanted to see Tales from the Borderlands but with bad animation, you're welcome!

Q&A:

Q: Poogers, these concept videos give me physical ailment. Please stop. The cringe is too much. You are killing everyone at a rapid pace. Why continue? Please stop making us suffer.

A:

ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵃⁿ ʳᵉᵃᵈ ᵗʰᵉ ᵈᵉˢᶜʳᶦᵖᵗᶦᵒⁿ ᶦᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᶦⁿᶠᵒ ʰᵃʰᵃ...

Hello and welcome to part 2.

Q: Stop.

A: Sorry.

Q: You can read description

A: If you want more info.

Comments

• Great stuff, enjoyed watching it!

Tweet it at Randy Pitchford. He responds a ton on Twitter.

• Damn dude, that was really well done. I think you captured the TftB feel perfectly. You got me hooked, really made me curious how would the story continue. :D

Also kudos to the voice actor, he did a great job.

• I kinda wanted to make it keep going but it was getting to be a bit too much work sadly. And yes the va did a great job, super chill dude!

Pipas posted: »

Damn dude, that was really well done. I think you captured the TftB feel perfectly. You got me hooked, really made me curious how would the story continue. Also kudos to the voice actor, he did a great job.

• Top 10 bumps of shame in its purest form of all time: Number 1

• This is really good! 10/10 choice in music and I love the bit with Gortys at the end.

What is it that Vasquez says in 1:05? I found it pretty hard to make out.

Poogers555 posted: »

Top 10 bumps of shame in its purest form of all time: Number 1

• edited July 2020

I agree the Vasquez part is not that easy to make out. At 1:05 he says "If you're seeing this, I'm probably dead.."

ᵃⁿᵈ ᴵ ᵈᵒⁿᵗ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ʷʰʸ ᶦᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵒ ʰᵃʳᵈ ᵗᵒ ˢᵖᵉᶜᶦᶠᶦᶜᵃˡˡʸ ˢᵃʸ "ᵖʳᵒᵇᵃᵇˡʸ ᵈᵉᵃᵈ" ʷʰᶦˡᵉ ᵗʳʸᶦⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵈᵒ ᵃ ⱽᵃˢᵠᵘᵉᶻ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ, ʷʰᶦᶜʰ ᵃˡˢᵒ ᵈᶦᵈⁿᵗ ʰᵉˡᵖ ʰᵃʰᵃᵃᵃ

(Also I am glad you like the Gortys bit at the end cuz I was kinda iffy on it once it was in practice)

lupinb0y posted: »

This is really good! 10/10 choice in music and I love the bit with Gortys at the end. What is it that Vasquez says in 1:05? I found it pretty hard to make out.

• This is epic. Great job as usual! I didn't know I needed dancing Vasquez until now.

(I've also noticed Fiona with a spork. Whose eyeballs is she planning to scoop this time?)

• tfw theres extra Vasquez footage that was honestly the longest and most difficult clip to make for the video and I only used like 1 seconds of it

ᵃⁿᵈ ʸᵉˢ ᶦᵗ ᵗᵒᵒᵏ ˢᵒ ˡᵒⁿᵍ ᵇᵉᶜᵃᵘˢᵉ ᶦᵗ ᶦˢ ᵃᶜᵗᵘᵃˡˡʸ ᵃ ʳᵉᶠᵉʳᵉⁿᶜᵉ

This is epic. Great job as usual! I didn't know I needed dancing Vasquez until now. (I've also noticed Fiona with a spork. Whose eyeballs is she planning to scoop this time?)

• Dude, Telltale really should hire you!

• Yeah- imagine that...

Dude, Telltale really should hire you!

• Figured I would join the bandwagon and make my own TFTBL fake-concept thing! Inspired by that one scene you've got in your own trailer. This shit's actually pretty fun to do!

• Okay so. This is really fucking good, dude. One thing I struggle with when making these is making the animation smooth. (I'm not an animator and I know for a fact I take the worst turns when it comes to my animations lmao. Some serious makeshift shit) which leads to it feeling shaking, but this is really just wow. I love how smooth and clean it looks and I like how you were able to expand on the scene from the original trailer I made in your own way!

Just super cool all around, great job! Honestly making me want to make another one of these lol

(also what did you use for the light settings? SFM is always a pain with lighting imo)

Figured I would join the bandwagon and make my own TFTBL fake-concept thing! Inspired by that one scene you've got in your own trailer. This shit's actually pretty fun to do!

• also at this point

• Thank you so much dude!! I've been using SFM for a couple years, but I've never really done anything big like scenes like this. You're a huge insp dude, you've got dedication in everything you make!! As for the light settings, I just used the default lighting of the Big_Stage map with an added rimlight behind them. It looks pretty dumb from afar lmao.
    There is an alt version rendered of this scene with my own lights, but I redid all the lighting after I realized SFM's lights were ruining the scene. Here's a couple screengrab from that ALT version. The lighting worked great on Fiona, I guess lighting just doesn't agree with BL3 Rhys very well lmao. Working with SFM really means just beating SFM up until it does what you want it to lmao

Okay so. This is really fucking good, dude. One thing I struggle with when making these is making the animation smooth. (I'm not an animator

• well.....

also at this point

• Ah, very cool. Yeah I dont know what it is about Fiona in SFM. For some reason she always looks kinda dopey from the lighting, but in your video she looks great. But damn SFM is really something else, its basically a 24/7 struggle lmao

Honestly been thinking of just making a compilation video of all the videos I've made behind the scenes showing how trash SFM is with how everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

But I do love how goofy a ton of this stuff looks from angles you aren't meant to see (or just general sfm fucker-y)

Image stuff in spoilers

Thank you so much dude!! I've been using SFM for a couple years, but I've never really done anything big like scenes like this. You're a hug

• LMAOOO. There's something magical about watching how fucky animations actually are when seen from afar. SFM really is a fucking beast. Here's one of my own and how fucked up it actually is. BIG fan of Bigby's newfound stairs-levitation powers.

https://i.gyazo.com/379b8d61620b5f94915b9906855328b4.mp4
    https://i.gyazo.com/2691fd9c47c0e438b2712d69f76fbbbf.mp4

(Also, Fiona's model has a bug that makes her eyes transparent with ambient occlusion, which may explain why she looks pretty fucky in scenes with AO.

its pretty terrifying when you show AO in the settings.

The only way to really fix it is to fuck around with her models VMT file with VTFEDIT)

Ah, very cool. Yeah I dont know what it is about Fiona in SFM. For some reason she always looks kinda dopey from the lighting, but in your v

• new career path: making the sfm tftbl 2 content the world wants to see

• Im really impressed with how fast you are producing high quality animation. Great job!

new career path: making the sfm tftbl 2 content the world wants to see

• My dumb ass totally forgot I did this one too. Did this one a couple days ago when I was still learning how to get the subtitles to work right.

• bro you really gonna inspire me to spend way too long making another one of these in an attempt to match this quality while I have too many other and more important responsibilities but I will push them aside just to make another video in an unhealthy habit, huh?

why is it so good?

My dumb ass totally forgot I did this one too. Did this one a couple days ago when I was still learning how to get the subtitles to work right.

• im so sorry ive infected you with a tftbl sfm disease. its gonna be terminal bro. i gotta blame u tho since none of this wouldve happened if u didn't inspire me with those OG concept vids you made. That shit blew my mind.

bro you really gonna inspire me to spend way too long making another one of these in an attempt to match this quality while I have too many

• well well... looks like we've done nothing here but created a black hole for ourselves

im so sorry ive infected you with a tftbl sfm disease. its gonna be terminal bro. i gotta blame u tho since none of this wouldve happened if u didn't inspire me with those OG concept vids you made. That shit blew my mind.

• well. be the change you want to see in the world ..........

well well... looks like we've done nothing here but created a black hole for ourselves

• edited November 2020

i ship it :p

• well......... time to teach myself to stay focused on a single task for a prolonged time. bc tftbl s2 isnt gonna make itself

• WELL! A continuation of my first scene, where Rhys, after turning Fiona down, comes down to Pandora and. Idk. Saves the day and helps her up. FT. Some fancy UI shit!

• I like what is happening in this thread.

• This is... dare I say...

a poggers moment???

(Really love the camera angles- feels very true to a Telltale game)

WELL! A continuation of my first scene, where Rhys, after turning Fiona down, comes down to Pandora and. Idk. Saves the day and helps her up. FT. Some fancy UI shit!

• Anyone else want to hop on to the "Let's make our own Tales from the Borderlands 2" train?

I like what is happening in this thread.

• and heres a concept for the beginning! inspired by how the final season of TWD handled its choices. Interactive opening narrated by marcus!

• Jesus Christ dude I have no idea how you can pump out this high quality stuff so fast but here you are lol

And I really love it! If a Tales 2 ever happened this is pretty much exactly how I would have expected the story generator/recap to go down.

and heres a concept for the beginning! inspired by how the final season of TWD handled its choices. Interactive opening narrated by marcus!

• That's not fan art that's gotta be a fucking leak

and heres a concept for the beginning! inspired by how the final season of TWD handled its choices. Interactive opening narrated by marcus!

• if we all band together can just make our own Tales from the Borderlands 2. Gearbox has fallen silent, the rights are in a difficult place, but together through pure commitment we can put together a team to make it reality.

all we require is top talent in a multitude of departments and a whole lot of money but damnit surely we can get that all together with absolutely no problems in any way shape or form.

Then we start development with our newly acquired team of top tier professionals (with days of experience!) to get cracking on this masterpiece. We work hard and 2 years later we release Tales from the Borderlands 2. Sales skyrocket. Reviews are high. Awards coming in. Sued by Gearbox and spend the rest of our days in jail for blatant copyright infringement. Damnit, a man can dream. Let's fucking do it!

• @HeliosHellion
    You have brought me back.

ᵃˡˢᵒ ʷᵒʷ ᵗʰᵉˢᵉ ᵍᶦᶠˢ ᵃˡʷᵃʸˢ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵒᵘᵗ ˢᵒ ˡᵒʷ ᵠᵘᵃˡᶦᵗʸ

• HELL YES DUDEEE POGGERS MOMENT. already im invested in this. really good ambient mood you've got dudeee. mad excited

@HeliosHellion You have brought me back. ᵃˡˢᵒ ʷᵒʷ ᵗʰᵉˢᵉ ᵍᶦᶠˢ ᵃˡʷᵃʸˢ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵒᵘᵗ ˢᵒ ˡᵒʷ ᵠᵘᵃˡᶦᵗʸ

• NOW you're talking dude. now all thats left is to make a kickstarter that we never update and then quietly delete after it reaches its goal. being in jail for life for trying to make a tftbl s2 is definitely the way i wanna go out. better start learning how to code

if we all band together can just make our own Tales from the Borderlands 2. Gearbox has fallen silent, the rights are in a difficult place,

• s l i d e s h o w

I get the idea of it though! Great lighting.

@HeliosHellion You have brought me back. ᵃˡˢᵒ ʷᵒʷ ᵗʰᵉˢᵉ ᵍᶦᶠˢ ᵃˡʷᵃʸˢ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵒᵘᵗ ˢᵒ ˡᵒʷ ᵠᵘᵃˡᶦᵗʸ

• you guys are really talented and im jealous

• in a world.... two dudes stand against gbx.... and make their own tftbl 2....

Sign in to comment in this discussion.