The Last of Us Discussion Thread

Comments

• I like the story in TLOU2. Beyond Two Souls was a trashfire of a game that has a promising concept that gets shit on.

DabigRG posted: »

So which do you think made for the weaker story: this or Beyond Two Souls?

• oh dude, even if i hated the last of us 2, beyond two souls will always be worse. david cage is an absolute nightmare human with an awful idea of storytelling that's borderline offensive, and his behavior towards elliot page was gross

• My main problem with The Last of Us 2 is that I didn't care about most of the new characters and the ones I did care about were treated like scum (I'm not even talking about Joel). The only real interesting thing it does with it's "revenge bad" plot was Abby's father, but really he could've been anyone Joel killed. Other than that it doesn't do anything that either you wouldn't expect, is outright emotionally manipulative or both

David Cage doesn't make original stories as much as he regurgitates whatever movies he's into onto a choose-your-own-adventure script. Beyond: Two Souls isn't a good story, it's not even as much a "so bad it's funny" as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. It's a mess with David's usual brushstrokes that more often than not take me out of the game and make me concerned for his psyche.

I'll give it to The Last of Us 2 for the sake of having a cohesive story.

• Kept you waiting, huh?

• I'd say it was interesting to see how one sided that is, but not really.

It makes some sense

• @AChicken yo Bella Ramsey (the voice of Hilda) has been cast as Ellie in the Last of US HBO series.

For those who don't know, Bella Ramsey previously played Lyanna Mormont in Game of Thrones and currently voices Hilda in the Netflix animated series Hilda. That's a pretty good get, though I wonder how well she can do an American accent.

• I forgot there was gonna be an live action series. Wth

Also, way to go casting a British actress to be a white teenager from Tennessee or wherever

lupinb0y posted: »

@AChicken yo Bella Ramsey (the voice of Hilda) has been cast as Ellie in the Last of US HBO series. For those who don't know, Bella Ramse

• edited February 2021

I mean it's not exactly uncommon for English actors to play American roles.

Peter Parker, a boy from Queens is currently played by English actor. Rick from The Walking Dead is a Georgian character played by Andrew Lincoln who is also English. Daniel Kaluuya, another English actor, played an American in Get Out. Christian Bale has done a number of American roles.

I forgot there was gonna be an live action series. Wth Also, way to go casting a British actress to be a white teenager from Tennessee or wherever

• I kinda wish they weren't making a live action series of seemingly the same characters. Its not like adapting a book to a film, its taking a visual medium and adapting it to another visual medium. Obviously there are some exceptions like taking a video game that isnt very story focused and making a show in that direction, but I find it kind of silly to be adapting video games that are already super story rich with cutscenes that are directed with the same quality of a blockbuster movie then getting a film or tv show adaptation. Like wow, its The Last Of Us but now Im not even playing it!

• edited February 2021

I'm pretty sure they confirmed that they'll be using stuff that couldn't make it into the original game and expanding on certain things so it's not going to be a 1:1 adaption at the very least.

Poogers555 posted: »

I kinda wish they weren't making a live action series of seemingly the same characters. Its not like adapting a book to a film, its taking a

• The TV adaptation sounds like a goddamn cash grab. Ok, I know you are all tired of my hate for TLOU2 but that doesn't matter because even if I loved the game, I still would have thought a TV adaptation was a bad idea.

What the fuck is the point? This is basically the same situation as the Netflix Live Action Adaptation for Avatar The Last Airbender. They are basically going to re-tell the same goddamn story with just different actors and I have to sit instead of playing get experience story.

And if I am being honest, even if that's not completely the case, after TLOU2, I could care less about new stories put in that universe because Joel is dead meat, Ellie became a one-dimensional idiot, Tommy is all over the place with his different feelings about his own brother's demise, Maria is useless and Abby didn't do shit to earn my respect. I don't care to learn more backstory about Joel and Tommy in their time as hunters/smugglers in 2 decades of apocalypse because their characters arcs will end up butchered anyway. No wonder why Solo: A Star Wars Story was a huge flop despite being part of a blockbuster franchise.
    I don't think Druckmann would care to change something in the show for a lot of people to love because dividing fanbases became his new hobby for some reason.

The Uncharted movie, as much as I'm still skeptical about it, at least has a story which we have never seen in the games. No adaption of a game's story to live-action whatsoever. Whether it ends up bad or good, I would still respect the filmmakers for not intending to do the same thing as the Psycho remake.

• edited February 2021

Oooh, now that's kinda excitng! Here's hoping she can get a good American accent down.
    (From other fan consensus 'round the net, some people are weary or hopeful that this is good casting, as Ramsey played a more serious role in Game of Thrones more akin to the themes in TLOU. I wouldn't know as I haven't seen it, but hopefully she can adapt to this project with that same style.)

Still pretty weary about making this game into a tv miniseries, especially with the same plot and characters... HBO's got good money though and tons of connections, hopefully they get the right team consultants from the game to make it faithful and expand on areas that they feel the need to. (I'd love to see a bit more of Ellie in that Fall-->Winter time skip, or some Joel and Tess action.)
    TIL Christian Bale is not American. Wow.

Edit: Lol and clickbait news outlets are trying so hard to capitalize on this official casting, throwing names around for Joel like Pedro Pascal or even Mahershala Ali alongside this.

@AChicken yo Bella Ramsey (the voice of Hilda) has been cast as Ellie in the Last of US HBO series. For those who don't know, Bella Ramse

• Pedro Pascal has officially been cast as Joel.

AChicken posted: »

Oooh, now that's kinda excitng! Here's hoping she can get a good American accent down. (From other fan consensus 'round the net, some peop

• Ohh really? Jeez, he's been getting a lot of major gigs lately. Good for him.

I... don't know what to expect other than him being a pretty good actor, so that's cool. He plays his roles well, so I've got faith he can do a good TV Joel.

Pedro Pascal has officially been cast as Joel.

• Yeah I agree. Especially with Part II. What makes that game interesting is that it's a video game. If it's just a tv show then what's cool about it? Oh no, now we have to watch Abby for half of the season!

Poogers555 posted: »

I kinda wish they weren't making a live action series of seemingly the same characters. Its not like adapting a book to a film, its taking a

• edited February 2021

Not everyone plays video games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ghetsis posted: »

Yeah I agree. Especially with Part II. What makes that game interesting is that it's a video game. If it's just a tv show then what's cool about it? Oh no, now we have to watch Abby for half of the season!

• I am hyped for TV Show thing. Though I hear a lot of live action adaptations end up being cringy!

The cast and director seem good tho so here's hoping.

Oh and I always wanted the TLOU universe expanded more than anything. I think the universe has a lot of potential for the future even if the zombie thing is kinda tired in media after The Walking Dead's loooooong run.

• this game sucsk!!!

• Woah!! What a way to return to this forum.

Deltino posted: »

this game sucsk!!!

• Holy shit, the Bossman leans!

Deltino posted: »

this game sucsk!!!

• There are so many video games with great stories that would make kickass tv shows: Deus ex, dishonored, vampire the masquerade bloodlines, mirror’s edge, and many more rich with lore to be explored and expanded upon.

The last of us might make a decent tv show, but it’s really just zombies again. I don’t know how the actors will do, I’m sure they’ll do good with what they’re given, but Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are Joel and Ellie to me. If he doesn’t have Troy Baker’s low southern impression it isn’t Joel to me.

Still I’ll probably give it another look when it releases.

• edited March 2021

The answer we never knew we wanted:

Here's why Abby uses a Golf Club in TLOU2

The discourse around Joel’s death has simmered down over time, but there was one question that never got answered, or probably even asked: Why a golf club?

“The Last of Us” games have been very intentional about their imagery and how they tie into the overall themes of the game. Director and writer Neil Druckmann, now co-president of Naughty Dog Studios, has been very open about how the game reflects his childhood and young adult life. The golf club also has a connection to his youth.

Druckmann told The Post that at age 16, he was accidentally struck in the head with a golf club, after which he needed 30 stitches. The incident left a permanent dent in his skull, he said.

“Ha. No one asked me about it,” Druckmann wrote in a direct message, mentioning that he wasn’t an avid golfer. “My friend was into it. He invited me to go to a driving range. He was showing me the ropes. I stood behind him, and got smacked on the back swing. Blood everywhere.”

The decision to use a golf club to kill Joel was made later in the writing process, according to Druckmann.

“For a long time, Abby stabbed Joel in the back then twisted the knife to paralyze him,” Druckmann said. “But knife felt more like an Ellie thing. We wanted something different.”

Lol here we go...

• There is nothing wrong taking inspiration from your own horrible experiences but I don't think this excuses Abby's group lacking melee weapons (Like bats, pipes, machetes) considering they come from a large ass faction. Also, that golf club was OP as fuck. Like how many times did she swing it on Joel's head without breaking it? Pipes and machetes can't even last 10 hits without attaching scissors to them.

The answer we never knew we wanted: Here's why Abby uses a Golf Club in TLOU2 The discourse around Joel’s death has simmered down o

• Good point about melee weapons. Considering they break a ton in the game, it might have felt strange to have Abby's allies use unbreakable pipes or bats though, or if they'd be able to pick up weapons from the environment, that could be a hassle to the player.

Pipes and machetes can't even last 10 hits without attaching scissors to them.

ah shoot. you've reminded me of this fun comic

AronDracula posted: »

There is nothing wrong taking inspiration from your own horrible experiences but I don't think this excuses Abby's group lacking melee weapo

• Dang, beat everyone to it, eh? :lol:

But yeah, I can see that--the weird date rapey scenario made more sense if there's a blade involved rather than a fairly loud golf club.

The answer we never knew we wanted: Here's why Abby uses a Golf Club in TLOU2 The discourse around Joel’s death has simmered down o

• Back with more

• Still churning em out, huh? Dang, video editing takes a long time.

• edited March 2021

Yep. The editing is a pain in the ass. I was actually planning to cover Ellie's whole journey in Seattle in one video, same with Abby and the epilogue but considering how long it took me to edit my cover on the prologue of the game, I decided to make multiple parts.

Still churning em out, huh? Dang, video editing takes a long time.

• edited March 2021

Thinkin about the game again. Mmm and these credits tunes are great.
    Beyond Desolation (mmm that banjo)

Wayfaring Stranger (Ashley and Troy can sing, hell yes)

I've got a lot of positives and negatives about the game. The first game is undeniably perfect, I could play and replay it till the sun dies out.

Though the sequel is fascinating in how impactful it was (and still is -- still seeing debates pop up in comment sections) in that it was a AAA Sequel that didn't aim to please the fans in all the expected ways.
    I don't think it's just good or bad. It's a mixed bag.

• I enjoyed the story, but the structure, pacing and insane length is a drawback for replayability and enjoyment. The writers' ambitions were way too high, IMO.
    • Not the sequel I wanted (as I'm sure many people would agree) but it's one that I'm interested in where they go from here. Ellie's lost a lot, the game is so bleak. Are we gonna have some hope in the next one? Please? (But I don't want a next one for another 7 years, please. Let it rest.)
    • Joel's death. It is what it is.
    • Abby's side of the story is... Good. I see what they intended to do, but the fact that both it and Ellie's half of the game are so long is just hard to keep engaged.
      Cutting out the climax of Ellie's half to make it Abby's climax of the story just kills the momentum of the game halfway through. Not fun.

• The epilogue set in California was cool. Finally, a drastic change in scenery. Wanna give the art department a high-five for that.

• The game is the PS4's technical swan song. It runs so damn well on the console, and really looks so next-gen and on another level of detail I haven't seen in a game.
      Was it worth the crunch and obscene about of time it took for the game to come out? No. Had the game been shorter, I'm sure the employees wouldn't have had to suffer such an intense load and strain.

• The gameplay is so fun and smooth (too bad the length of the game is putting me off from starting it back up again). I cannot wait for the Multiplayer expansion. Factions 1 is my most played MP mode in the last 6 years (and still is). Hopefully that one hits all the right and expected buttons and actually aims to please fans rather than flips the table on it all.

[insert Marge Simpson - "I just think it's neat!"]

• It doesn't run so damn well on the console, I'm sure on a PS5 it would though.

Thinkin about the game again. Mmm and these credits tunes are great. Beyond Desolation (mmm that banjo) Wayfaring Stranger (Ashley and T

• What do you mean? It ran pretty damn well for me (at 30fps, but I don't mind it.)
    There were some visual bugs and issues with in-game cutscenes when I first played it in June, but when I revisited the game a few months later for a NG+, I don't remember seeing as many in the same places.

It doesn't run so damn well on the console, I'm sure on a PS5 it would though.

• I mean with the PS4's jet engine issues.

What do you mean? It ran pretty damn well for me (at 30fps, but I don't mind it.) There were some visual bugs and issues with in-game cuts

• Ah, yeah, that.

I mean with the PS4's jet engine issues.

• https://www.polygon.com/22375435/the-last-of-us-remake-ps5-release-dates-rumor-naughty-dog-days-gone-sequel

Jesus, are you fucking KIDDING ME??? Lost my interest on the franchise ages ago, I know but I never expected this at all. I don't think I've ever heard ONE single person asking for remake of the first game. I mean sure the gameplay is a little bit dated but not as dated as any games from the 90's or 2000's. TLOU isn't even 10 years old, goddammit.

The only reason I could think of for this is to fix the continuity errors they created in the second game. Like Jerry who is black in the first game, but white in the second. Marlene doesn't show any concern for Jerry who is the one who came up with the vaccine while confronting Joel and her beg for Ellie seemed pointless because what was she gonna do with her if the doctor is dead?

This is just a lazy cash grab. It feels like another Lion King situation.

• i agree with this post (just less angry)!

I wonder if they'll add onto the story or just drastically change gameplay, but regardless, I don't see why they're doing this over just making a different game? Could this be to carry over to the game whatever they're adding onto the story with the TV show?

https://www.polygon.com/22375435/the-last-of-us-remake-ps5-release-dates-rumor-naughty-dog-days-gone-sequel Jesus, are you fucking KIDDIN

• Yeah, weird choice. I am assuming this is basically going to be TLOU Remastered -Deluxe- and visually it'll look more like TLOU2. It is an older game but none of the mechanics I feel can be defined as outdated imo. Really that PS3/Xbox 360 era was when games found that groove where everyone knew what worked and what didn't. TLOU plays pretty much the same as TLOU2 in terms of mechanics so the only remake aspect I can think of at that point is making it look like TLOU2 in visuals (and other things like animation and physics.)

Just seems a bit silly but people will buy it anyway which end of the day is what drives these choices.

i agree with this post (just less angry)! I wonder if they'll add onto the story or just drastically change gameplay, but regardless, I d

• I feel like they are gonna ruin Joel's character again, just like how Disney did with Mufasa's death in Lion King remake.

• Lol I doubt they're gonna mess with the continuity too much/at all.

I'd say a substantial visual upgrade at the least, and possibly adding in some gameplay elements from Part II at most.

I feel like they are gonna ruin Joel's character again, just like how Disney did with Mufasa's death in Lion King remake.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

You are far too paranoid, dude.

I feel like they are gonna ruin Joel's character again, just like how Disney did with Mufasa's death in Lion King remake.

• edited April 2021

Am I wrong to feel upset that a studio that I grew up with up turned into one of the most cliched tropes in modern media? First Telltale and now Naughty Dog. What do I do to deserve this?

dojo32161 posted: »

You are far too paranoid, dude.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.