The Expanse A Telltale Series announced - Collaboration With Deck Nine

Comments

• edited December 2021

Very unexpected but cautiously optimistic. I've never watched the series or read any of the books so I have no idea what it's about aside from being scifi. The fact that it's Deck Nine, who's proven to be competent so far makes me feel more confident about it.

Also nice to see that them using a new engine.

• If this is being announced now then that indicates that Telltale is nearly done with Wolf Among Us.

• I've never watched the series or read any of the books so I have no idea what it's about aside from being scifi.

Same. So I guess I might to watch The Expanse now on Amazon Prime lol

lupinb0y posted: »

Very unexpected but cautiously optimistic. I've never watched the series or read any of the books so I have no idea what it's about aside fr

• Or at least far along enough for them to already be able to work on another game.

patrickrc95 posted: »

If this is being announced now then that indicates that Telltale is nearly done with Wolf Among Us.

• edited December 2021

Exactly

Or at least far along enough for them to already be able to work on another game.

• Well this was a surprise.

• Didn't expect this at all, but I'm willing to give it a fair shot, looks like I'll have to get up to speed with The Expanse via Prime Video :smile:

• Same here. I haven't watch it at all. Heard it was good

Didn't expect this at all, but I'm willing to give it a fair shot, looks like I'll have to get up to speed with The Expanse via Prime Video

• edited December 2021

Color me surprised. Just like any telltale series I know nothing about I guess I'll have to read up on what the fuck an expanse is. I only hope this is not just telltale publishing a deck nine game and an actual telltale game in feel.

• The Telltale Asset Download on the News section has some extra stuff in it, including some interviews with the main character's actress and one concept art piece.

• Hello! Longtime Telltale player since the early Bone & Sam and Max days... and I've been quite enjoying The Expanse of late - both the TV show and the books.

Is this game going to be a similar style to the recent TTG efforts - The Walking Dead, Batman, Game of Thrones, and the like - or will there be some going back to the earlier puzzle-solving games like Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and Back to the Future? I personally much prefer the latter (solving puzzles in creative ways) although I realize that TTG had great success with the former style (story-telling and decision making).

• At this stage, we don't know what it'll be like, but I would guess sticking closer to the former.

Molokov posted: »

Hello! Longtime Telltale player since the early Bone & Sam and Max days... and I've been quite enjoying The Expanse of late - both the T

• I'm glad Deck Nine is expanding.

• I remember seeing ads for the show on SyFy (which is not exactly the pinnacle of art). It's a curious choice for sure, but then again, so was adapting Fables. Hopefully they can make it work.

• I really hope it doesn't fall into GOT territory where the show characters were by far just hindrances to the plot.

Nothing fun about a choose your own adventure game when its "StAb RaMsAy!?"

I remember seeing ads for the show on SyFy (which is not exactly the pinnacle of art). It's a curious choice for sure, but then again, so was adapting Fables. Hopefully they can make it work.

• "The Expanse: A Telltale Series is currently in the early stages of production" looks like Wolf must be wrapping up sooner than later. Different development teams but this is a good sign Wolf is not just vaporware.

• It's funny that Telltale finally managed to do their surprise reveal that they wanted to do for Stranger Things, where they show a game that looks nothing like their usual ventures and then BOOM! A Telltale Series pops up.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

This was totally unexpected.

I liked watching the Expanse (the latest series is out today i think?) so i am looking forward to this.

• I have watched The Expanse. For anyone who is interested, The Expanse can feel a bit like Star Wars but it is much more realistic and mature, the show also has a bit of politics. Maybe something like Game of Thrones in space.

• I see new Telltale is following old Telltale's footsteps and is making a game about whichever series is popular these days. Part of me wishes they'd taken a lesser known IP instead (like with TWAU) or even create their own original franchise. I know that would be a harder sell, but... I just hope they didn't spend half their budget on acquiring the licence or show actors or something. At least it doesn't seem like they're stretching themselves too thin, with them partnering with Deck Nine this time, which is an interesting choice by itself.

With that said, Expanse is a great show and I think Drummer is an excellent choice for a protagonist (and not just because she's my favourite character >.>), so I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Also I'm glad the general response from the internet has been pretty positive as well (although there are stil a lot of comments from people who just found out Telltale got resurrected :D).

• Idk still a good chance that Wolf releases in 2023. The way it was written in the article, didn't seem like they were entirely confident that all the episodes would be finished by next year. I don't think the people at AdHoc have made any bad stuff at Telltale, excluding stuff that was rewritten and worked on by everybody/suffered from big management issues.

"The Expanse: A Telltale Series is currently in the early stages of production" looks like Wolf must be wrapping up sooner than later. Different development teams but this is a good sign Wolf is not just vaporware.

• Can't say I'm not worried with this move, since we all know what killed the company last time. (and why they constantly barely made any profit)

But if this new sustainable development system works to keep the employees from being burnt out and isn't too much of a strain to bounce between projects (was also an issue with the old company), then all should be okay.

Doesn't sound like Wolf 2 is anywhere near completion judging by their comments in the blog post, but the fact that we might be getting a trailer or something substantive to sink our teeth into at least means they haven't scrapped the project for this.
    Hopefully they've got a good marketing budget, because if Wolf 2 comes out first, I want that to be success. It should be a success.

• Honestly I feel like Wolf 2 is in a way better place in terms of how successful it will be at release. Looking at the response to The Expanse and the numbers it is doing is not close at all to what Wolf 2 did in 2019, which is honestly a bit scary to think about because maybe I am just being overly cynical because we saw so much of this happen with old Telltale, I really can't help but feel The Expanse is not going to sell well regardless of quality of the game.

Personally I think they should've went with an original IP for their second game and I really hope for their third they either do that, or follow through on another sequel to a more demanded IP with an established based waiting to play already. Really just don't want to watch the downward spiral of "buy big IP and hope for the best" because The Expanse reveal really did not blow up that much. Anyway, just hoping behind the scenes they have a good plan that we will see closer to release.

AChicken posted: »

Can't say I'm not worried with this move, since we all know what killed the company last time. (and why they constantly barely made any prof

• edited December 2021

Yeah, that's true. Crossing my fingers for an original IP sometime in the future. With Bruner House also following a similar game formula, it looks like... well... they say competition breeds innovation so this should be an interesting turn of events to follow.

Poogers555 posted: »

Honestly I feel like Wolf 2 is in a way better place in terms of how successful it will be at release. Looking at the response to The Expans

• At least the graphics/engine in The Expanse looked much better than the one from Bruner House in Star Trek imo. I still hate how this guy is getting a pass and getting Telltale ex employees

AChicken posted: »

Yeah, that's true. Crossing my fingers for an original IP sometime in the future. With Bruner House also following a similar game formula, i

• edited December 2021

Don't know if we already knew this but on Twitter, Telltale confirmed that the game is being built on the Unreal Engine and that they're developing the entire season at once.

They're also really pushing for people to read the upcoming Game Informer article which will apparently go on to explain their current workplace system and how they're managing to develop two games at once. They seem to be very aware of the comparisons with old Telltale, so it looks like this article might help quell these worries.

• We did know about Unreal and that they're developing Wolf 2 as a full season, so it's not too surprising they're doing it with Expanse as well, but it is good to see.

Don't know if we already knew this but on Twitter, Telltale confirmed that the game is being built on the Unreal Engine and that they're dev

• This looks super cool! Telltale's doing bits.

• Uh, maybe too early to say but this isn't going to do good. Wolf 2's trailers, although 2 years old, have WAY more views and engagement online. I'm not sure exactly why it's doing so bad but most certainly if TT put a Wolf 2 trailer in TGA then it'd get a lot more views.

• Bit hard to accurately judge the numbers because it isn't like we know what Wolf 2's were at the same time other than memory, but I do pretty clearly remember Wolf 2's trailer blowing up very fast on Telltale's channel and on IGN's. If I remember correctly after the first week Telltale's channel had about 250-300k views and IGN's was at about 400-600k views. (But I can easily be mistaken, but whatever that number is, it was much more notable)

As of now, Wolf 2's trailer on Telltale's channel is at 600k and IGN's at 1.2M. So Wolf 2 def hit the ground running. I hope The Expanse does well and is a good game, but I don't think it got as much traction as they were probably hoping for, happening at the pre-show probably didn't help as much either. There is still a lot of time until that game reaches the point where they start to really market it, so hopefully when that time comes it makes a bigger splash.

Ghetsis posted: »

Uh, maybe too early to say but this isn't going to do good. Wolf 2's trailers, although 2 years old, have WAY more views and engagement onli

• Not for me, sorry. I don't know anything about the Expanse franchise. I never even heard of it ever in my life. Wolf 2 is all I care for. Please don't make the same mistakes, Telltale.

• I watched the First Episode of The Expanse on Amazon fairly recently. If you're into things like Star Trek, or other Space Opera-esk series it ain't too bad bruh. As for Telltale themselves, the fact that they're working with Deck-Nine adds some additional credibility in my book cuz Deck-Nine has a good track record.

AronDracula posted: »

Not for me, sorry. I don't know anything about the Expanse franchise. I never even heard of it ever in my life. Wolf 2 is all I care for. Please don't make the same mistakes, Telltale.

• I am a Star Trek virgin so giving it a chance is pretty low for me. Deck Nine is the same dev behind Life is Strange Before the Storm which was pretty much forgotten after a few years. I hope they only work on optimization and graphic design and not have them write the story.

patrickrc95 posted: »

I watched the First Episode of The Expanse on Amazon fairly recently. If you're into things like Star Trek, or other Space Opera-esk series

• They also did True Colors more recently which was much better received, so I think we can be cautiously optimistic they'll do a good job here. Hoping as with some other Telltale games that one can still play and enjoy it without having actually seen the show, same as how Wolf Among Us and Tales From The Borderlands didn't require a mass knowledge of their universes.

AronDracula posted: »

I am a Star Trek virgin so giving it a chance is pretty low for me. Deck Nine is the same dev behind Life is Strange Before the Storm which

• I came across The Expanse around when Season 3 was coming out, watched from first ep and have to say it just gets better so stick with it. Really looking forward to how Telltale deals with it and Camina Drummer!! watch it you'll fall in love with her

• I stopped by and couldn't be more excited by this announcement. <3

• Telltale managed to rope me into TWD and GoT, two franchises I didn't care for beforehand, so I doubt they'll fail me again.

• TelltaleDarrenTelltaleDarren ModeratorVerified

Gonna be honest, I originally slept on The Expanse as a series. For no particular reason. Then, as this new collab Telltale x Deck Nine series became a reality, I dove in. The first season is dense AF - they are explaining a LOT of backstory, but when the show takes off, it really takes off.

For those that haven't seen The Expanse, give it a shot. Worth it (IMHO).

• I'm still in the process of trying to watch the first Season; I'm currently on... I wanna say, Episode 3 or 4 last I checked?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.