No, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

edited July 2010 in Jurassic Park
I am still on shock. I love Telltale and I have bought all their games because it is the only company devoted to graphic adventures. Now I read these news about a Back to the Future and (gulp!) Jurassic Park games... Why oh why? Telltale has sold to the enemy and now they are going to make action or, even worse... "action adventures".
Does the world need more "action adventures"? No sir. Does the world need more Hollywood-licensed games? Noooo sir. Does the world need more "interactive cinematic movies". Oh, noooo....

Less time, less money and less resources to make good graphic adventures...
Telltale has sold to Hollywood. Now I am depressed... I am going to drink a full bottle of whisky right now... :(

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Megaace wrote: »
    I am still on shock. I love Telltale and I have bought all their games because it is the only company devoted to graphic adventures. Now I read this new about a Back to the Future and (gulp!) Jurassic Park games... Why oh why? Telltale has sold to the enemy and now thet are going to make action or, even worse... "action adventures".
    Does the world need more "action adventures"? No sir. Does the world need more Hollywood-licensed games? Noooo sir. Does the world need more "interactive cinematic movies". Oh, noooo....

Telltale has sold to Hollywood. Now I am depressed... I am going to drink a full bottle of whisky right now... :(

You know what, I was pissed as hell and one of my friends told me to give it a try both movies haven't been heard of in over a decade, wich means. They're still fans craving for it, and beleive me I love Jurassic Park, and there needs to be something done with the franchise because honestly it's a good franchise that has a fanbase.
  • edited June 2010
    Does the world need more Hollywood-licensed games? Noooo sir.
    Um, Telltale's mission since it started was to create games based on licensed properties, including film and TV. From the press release announcing the company's formation way back in 2004:
    "When it comes to storytelling in games, we see a solid foundation provided by the high quality adventure game legacy of Infocom, Sierra, and LucasArts," says CEO Connors. "Our goal is to build on that, with the new and exciting opportunity that is brought to the market by the phenomenal, story focused licenses that exist in film, comics, literature, and television."
    They're just doing what they've always done, albeit at a bigger scale.
  • edited June 2010

Oi.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/telltale-creates-new-game-pilot-program/

Less money? What?
  • edited June 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    They're still fans craving for it, and beleive me I love Jurassic Park, and there needs to be something done with the franchise because honestly it's a good franchise that has a fanbase.

I love Jurassic Park. I love Back to the Future. But I don't want an "action game" or an "action adventure" from Telltale. There are hundreds of companies doing these types of games. I want Telltalle doing what they are the best and the only company: wonderful graphic adventures.
  • edited June 2010
    Where have they said these would be action/action-adventure games? Heck, where have they said anything about the gameplay at all? I think you're assuming a bit much.
  • edited June 2010
    Where have they said these would be action/action-adventure games? Heck, where have they said anything about the gameplay at all? I think you're assuming a bit much.

Honesty, if you do a Back to the Future or a Jurassic Park game hired by Universal, I suppose they expect some action on them... Or are you going to fight with the dinosaurs collecting and using objects like in a graphic adventure?
  • edited June 2010
    Guys who said it was an action game. For all we know it could still be a normal adventure game. How I dont know, but this is telltale. I didnt think there would ever be a mario horror game but luigis mansion is out and popular.
    I didnt think there would be a full motion controller and natal is coming out, so there can be a jurassic park adventure game.
  • edited June 2010
    Honesty, if you do a Back to the Future or a Jurassic Park game hired by Universal, I suppose they expect some action on them... Or are you going to fight with the dinosaurs collecting and using objects like in a graphic adventure?

Why would Universal commission a company to do an action game that hasn't made a single action game in the 6 years they've been around?
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Why would Universal commission a company to do an action game that hasn't made a single action game in the 6 years they've been around?

Well, please, read the press release: "The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay"

As I say, they have sold to the enemy, that is, action or action adventures games... I don't need a "hollywood-licensed action adventure game", thanks...
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale should be trying to do more than just standard adventure games, especially with the way they are getting better at delivering exciting and engaging storylines because at the end of the day that should be the most important part of a game.
    There are hundreds of companies doing these types of games.

There isn't that many and even if there were, how many of them can tell a story like Telltale can? They can't keep doing the same stuff over and over again, they need to try new things and adapt and they can only get better for it.
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, I have no interest in either of the new games. In fact, I laughed when I found out they were really making them, and I probably won't buy them. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong for Telltale to make them. Even if they do turn out to be "action-adventure" games or whatever, why worry about it? It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never make another graphic adventure game. As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale should be trying to do more than just standard adventure games
    Why? They are special for it. A lot of people love them for it. They have sold 5 millons of chapters because they are "standard adventures". If they do action adventure games they suddenly are a one-more company of hundreds.
    This step from Telltale is not new, look at Tim Schaffer with his Brutal Legend, it is a good action adventure game with a story and for what I know, It hasn't sold too well, it was 50% off on my country a month after the release... It is very difficult to compete in the action adventure market.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, please, read the press release: "The agreement broadens Telltale's product offerings into new genres and new styles of gameplay"

As I say, they have sold to the enemy, that is, action or action adventures games... I don't need a "hollywood-licensed action adventure game", thanks...

The phrases you've emphasized might mean that their upcoming projects won't fall under every definition of "adventure game" held by any given person on the internet, but I suspect that, like everything else Telltale has done, it will be a story/character driven experience, which is what an adventure game comes down to in my eyes.

Regarding the notion that Telltale has somehow betrayed their original vision:
    You may be a little off the mark in having us aimed at adventure games. We're not really trying to do that, exactly, we just have a lot of experience making adventure games, and are bringing the things that we learned about storytelling in games from that to bear on the kinds of things we're doing. So we're actually willing to bend away from that and do other kinds of gameplay, as long as we keep the story stuff in focus.

- Dave Grossman, 2006 interview
    This step from Telltale is not new, look at Tim Schaffer with his Brutal Legend, it is a good action adventure game with a story and for what I know, It hasn't sold too well, it was 50% off on my country a month after the release... It is very difficult to compete in the action adventure market.

So which is it? Are Telltale sellouts for potentially moving into territory you don't approve of, or are they committing financial suicide by entering a supposedly saturated market? Or are you just pretending to be concerned with the financial viability of their endeavors in an effort to bolster your point, even though it's not one that makes any particular sense?
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think that new genres automatically means action adventure. I mean, Puzzle Agent is supposed to be a different genre (puzzle adventure like Professor Layton) and definitely looks like a different style of gameplay (brain teaser puzzles instead of combination puzzles), but it's still similar to a traditional adventure game. I think it's much too soon to jump to conclusions.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it'd be great if Universal let Telltale reach into their pockets a little bit and develop an action/adventure engine, similar to the kind used in games like Uncharted. I'm sure at best there will just be some action-y sequences in the games, since I doubt they're going to be building new tools from the ground up for the games, but I am not wholly against Telltale reaching into the action-adventure genre, as I think they'd still be able to pull off very nice high quality games with great stories.
  • edited June 2010
    The first thing I thought of when I heard "Telltale Jurassic Park game" was the survival mechanics that they tried in an early version of The Dig. I could see the point of the game being avoiding the dinosaurs if you have no means of fighting back.
  • edited June 2010
    The first thing I thought of when I heard "Telltale Jurassic Park game" was the survival mechanics that they tried in an early version of The Dig. I could see the point of the game being avoiding the dinosaurs if you have no means of fighting back.

Good call on The Dig as a possible inspiration to look to in tackling a Jurassic Park game. The kinship isn't completely obvious, but it's definitely there the more I ruminate.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Okay, I have no interest in either of the new games. In fact, I laughed when I found out they were really making them, and I probably won't buy them. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong for Telltale to make them. Even if they do turn out to be "action-adventure" games or whatever, why worry about it? It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never make another graphic adventure game. As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.

Seriously what was the point of that?
  • edited June 2010
    ...who's the ENEMY? Why are you HATING Hollywood? It had been a hog by itself, I know, but people did produce some good things by using Hollywood's sources, and now you're saying because they wanted to draw a new path to two of its childs that have a huge fanbase, oh, okay, now they're sold.

[edit: not helpful - jp-30]

And they can make action-adventures. I wouldn't mind playing another Psychonauts, you know, only better, that has the awesome theme of Back to the Future and stuff...
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    As long as they keep making games I want to buy, I don't see why they can't make a few that I don't.

That's the key point, though. Once The Devil's Playhouse is finished, the future's not looking good.
  • edited June 2010
    I really think we can do without the Nazi stuff, okay?
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I really think we can do without the Nazi stuff, okay?

Why? Are you a N..

...okay, sorry.
  • edited June 2010
    That's the key point, though. Once The Devil's Playhouse is finished, the future's not looking good.

Because they have an amazing opportunity to make 2 game series based on franchises that many people are huge fans of, the future isn't looking good? :confused:
  • edited June 2010

For a very small minority of Telltale Fans. But they sure can yell!

How can you say the future's not looking good when they've already put the wonderful Pilot Program in place?
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sold on that either, but I'd never even heard of Graham Annable before Puzzle Agent was announced, so take that for what you will. I'm still willing to give Puzzle Agent a try, and I'll even try to give Back to the Future the benefit of the doubt, but it's going to take a lot to sell me on Jurassic Park.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sold on that either, but I'd never even heard of Graham Annable before Puzzle Agent was announced, so take that for what you will. I'm still willing to give Puzzle Agent a try, and I'll even try to give Back to the Future the benefit of the doubt, but it's going to take a lot to sell me on Jurassic Park.

You've sounded cranky on the last two posts, are you going to need a nap?

It's going to take a lot for me too, but at least I can do is give it a try and if I don't like it, then I don't have to play it ever again.
  • edited June 2010

You're not a very big Telltale fan if you hadn't heard of Annable before last month. :p
  • edited June 2010
    I guess I just don't see Jurassic Park as a worthwhile franchise. The first movie was decent, but the other two went from bad to worse, the book just confused the hell out of me when I attempted to read it (though I may have been too young for it at the time), and the last two video games I've played based on it were not exactly positive experiences. I'd certainly expect Telltale to produce a superior title to those, but...like I said, it's going to take a lot to sell me on anything derived from Jurassic Park, no matter who is making it.
    Pale Man wrote: »
    You're not a very big Telltale fan if you hadn't heard of Annable before last month. :p

No, it's just a severe case of tunnel vision, though I admit that I didn't really cross the line into Telltale fandom until around last November.
  • edited June 2010
    Can I get a "Hell yeah!" now?
  • edited June 2010
    I guess I just don't see Jurassic Park as a worthwhile franchise. The first movie was decent, but the other two went from bad to worse, the book just confused the hell out of me when I attempted to read it (though I may have been too young for it at the time), and the last two video games I've played based on it were not exactly positive experiences. I'd certainly expect Telltale to produce a superior title to those, but...like I said, it's going to take a lot to sell me on anything derived from Jurassic Park, no matter who is making it.

I had barely seen anything W&G related before TTG made Grand Adventures, yet it was a day one purchase and I've never regretted it. I hadn't watched a Strong Bad toon in nearly 5 years when they announced SBCG4AP, yet it was a day one purchase also, and I also never regretted that. I've never watched an episode of CSI yet I have played and completed all 3 of TTG's CSI games, and enjoyed them thoroughly.

As far as I'm concerned, Telltale have yet to disappoint me in anything, even licenses I didn't really care much about or didn't think would make a good game.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    I don't think you have anything to worry about... :)

Expect the unexpected!
  • edited June 2010
    Kevin wrote: »

This appears to be confirmation of Tales of Monkey Island season 2 for next summer.

Or I could just be wildly speculating. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Expect the unexpected!

Oh god, it's a game based on The Biggest Loser, isn't it?
  • edited June 2010
    Give telltale a chance for other types of games guys. Hell it's not like their adventure games are going anywhere and who knows it might kick ass. Just as long as it's not survival horror (I am looking at you dino crisis).
  • edited June 2010

Expect the unexpected!

But I expect these games to be adventure games and I expect Telltale to go on making adventure games. So if I expect that then that means I shouldn't expect that? Or were you referring to everyone else, meaning the one snot expecting that, meaning w should expect that.
  • edited June 2010
    I love Jurassic Park. I love Back to the Future. But I don't want an "action game" or an "action adventure" from Telltale. There are hundreds of companies doing these types of games. I want Telltalle doing what they are the best and the only company: wonderful graphic adventures.

ThisthisthisthisthisohfortheloveofallthatisgoodandholythisTHISTHISTHIS!
  • edited June 2010
    thatdude98 wrote: »

Telltale can make an action adventure...
  • edited June 2010
    thatdude98 wrote: »

Do you own CSI? No? Cool. Not every Telltale game is going to be made specifically to suit your exact interests. Don't play the ones you don't want to, but don't act like they're going to give up on adventure games and classics, because that couldn't be further from the truth.

They were FOUNDED to make classic adventure games, they're not going to turn their backs on it.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think TTG's main focus in their games have ever been solely adventure-based, but rather focused primarily on interactive, cinematic, story-driven games. With puzzles. Period. That doesn't have to mean point&click adventures. Which lately it's really proven that it isn't, what with the new control scheme, Puzzle Agent, and now the Universal licenses.
  • edited June 2010
    If Universal wanted an action adventure, surely they would have gone to a different company?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.