No, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Not every Telltale game is going to be made specifically to suit your exact interests.

Yeah, I know. But, consider the possibility that Telltale decides that it likes to make action adventures and action games better. Or Lucasarts grows a pair and finally begins to stop making almost every single title they release Star Wars related. Or Valve decides that nobody really needs or wants a Portal 2. Companies change, and I ain't saying that I can't handle that. While it is a very good idea for Telltale to start branching out and getting titles that cater to a wider variety of audiences, why did they choose two film series from the 80's-90's that almost no one has heard anything about in nigh ten, fifteen years? They could have gotten the Brothers Chap to do another Strong Bad season. Or persuaded Wallace and Gromit to come back on board (of course, that wasn't the greatest title that came from Telltale). There are so many other more popular titles out there that they could be doing with a little persistence, but aren't.
    Do you own CSI? No? Cool.

Question is: do you? How about Bone? Or Telltale Texas Hold 'Em?
    Don't play the ones you don't want to, but don't act like they're going to give up on adventure games and classics, because that couldn't be further from the truth. They were FOUNDED to make classic adventure games, they're not going to turn their backs on it.

Yes! Which is why Telltale is so unique as a company. The golden age of Lucasart adventure games is long gone. Who else is there nowadays to make good quality adventure games based on great series we all loved as kids? Did any of the Monkey Island fans expect a new Monkey Island game? Did the Strong Bad ones expect to be able to play AS Strong Bad in a full 3-D game?
    And what about Sam and Max, their first REAL shoot-off into the big time competition? My problem is not "OHHHH! They're taking movie franchises and turning them into games! They're branching off into other genres! OHHHH! Whatever shall I do?" My problem is more, yes, Telltale is making other games, but they aren't taking full advantage of their status.
  • edited June 2010
    thatdude98 wrote: »
    nobody really needs or wants a Portal 2.

Speak for yourself, though I do admit I would've liked to see Episode 3 first.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, Telltale have yet to disappoint me in anything, even licenses I didn't really care much about or didn't think would make a good game.

this
  • edited June 2010
    Why is everybody getting so bent out of shape over this? Telltale, I believe, will put there own twist on these already great franchises, and the out come could possible be good. Why must we all judge the projects before we even see a single screenshot?
  • edited June 2010
    why did they choose two film series from the 80's-90's that almost no one has heard anything about in nigh ten, fifteen years?

Monkey Island hadn't been heard from in 9 years. :p

Yes, I own every game Telltale has ever made (some of them at least 5 times over), and enjoy them all. (except Hold 'Em, because I don't like poker much, but what else was I going to use a free episode coupon on :p)

Did any of the Monkey Island fans expect a new Monkey Island game? Did the Strong Bad ones expect to be able to play AS Strong Bad in a full 3-D game?
    And what about Sam and Max, their first REAL shoot-off into the big time competition?

Did any Back to the Future fans think there would ever be another original story in the BttF world? Did any Jurassic Park fans think there would be a glimmer of hope for another original story involving their favorite dinosaur infested island? I don't see why BttF and JP have any less rights to become games than the rest of TTG's properties.
  • edited June 2010
    Back to the Future 1 was great in the 80s but that's it. I just don't wanna play a game in this world these days. On the other side i'm all in for a Sin City adventure. The franchises just aren't this great and if i want an adventure with an archeologist and dinosaurs then i don't need Jurassic Park as well.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I know. But, consider the possibility that Telltale decides that it likes to make action adventures and action games better. Or Lucasarts grows a pair and finally begins to stop making almost every single title they release Star Wars related. Or Valve decides that nobody really needs or wants a Portal 2. Companies change, and I ain't saying that I can't handle that. While it is a very good idea for Telltale to start branching out and getting titles that cater to a wider variety of audiences, why did they choose two film series from the 80's-90's that almost no one has heard anything about in nigh ten, fifteen years? They could have gotten the Brothers Chap to do another Strong Bad season. Or persuaded Wallace and Gromit to come back on board (of course, that wasn't the greatest title that came from Telltale). There are so many other more popular titles out there that they could be doing with a little persistence, but aren't.

Did you ever think maybe they picked the properties THEY were fans of and wanted to make games of. Why not do what you love making something you love?

Ooh! I do!

Yes! Which is why Telltale is so unique as a company. The golden age of Lucasart adventure games is long gone. Who else is there nowadays to make good quality adventure games based on great series we all loved as kids? Did any of the Monkey Island fans expect a new Monkey Island game? Did the Strong Bad ones expect to be able to play AS Strong Bad in a full 3-D game?
    And what about Sam and Max, their first REAL shoot-off into the big time competition? My problem is not "OHHHH! They're taking movie franchises and turning them into games! They're branching off into other genres! OHHHH! Whatever shall I do?" My problem is more, yes, Telltale is making other games, but they aren't taking full advantage of their status.

Yeah. Getting the rights to make adventure games of BTTF and Jurassic Park, two of the biggest movie franchises of all time isn't exercising their status at all...right.
  • edited June 2010
    Did you ever think maybe they picked the properties THEY were fans of and wanted to make games of. Why not do what you love making something you love?

This could be the case, but not necessarily.
  • edited June 2010
    True, I doubt EVERY Telltale employee is in love with BTTF or JP. I doubt a majority of them dislike the movies though.
  • edited June 2010
    @Secret Fawful When you say "What's the point of this?" did you mean, why did I say it, or why did I laugh?

I laughed because Jurassic Park is a series with tons of fanboys and girls and I thought it was hilarious TTG was making a game for it. I have never gotten into the series, mostly because I couldn't get over the idea that someone would clone carnivorous dinosaurs, but there are tons of Michael Crichton fans out there. If you thought ToMI brought many new, whiny fans to the forums you ain't seen nothing yet.

I was sure someone was going to accuse TTG of "selling out" for handling such a big property. It never occurred to me they'd accuse TTG of selling out for not making an adventure game!

Okay, yeah, but it seemed funny to me ...
    Seriously though, I still think it's way to early to be freaking out about TTG jumping the shark or whatever. We don't even have any gameplay video yet, for goodness sakes. They could be working on "Jurassic Park: The 3D Boardgame! for iPad and PC" for all we know. (You have to admit, it would be unexpected.)
  • edited June 2010
    Oh. Yeah I meant why did you laugh. I completely misunderstood your point though earlier. We all know that with every non-original property Telltale handles it's going to bring a new wave of crazy people to the forums, but it might also bring great ones too. And with two properties as big as these, well. Someday these forums will get so big none of us will recognize it, and in the end, I'm sure some of us will move on. These forums won't always be the homely place where everyone knows who this or that guy is. That started to disappear when TOMI came out.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Jurassic Park is a series with tons of fanboys and girls

That's news to me.

Well...okay, it was news to me when they started coming out of the woodwork yesterday. And to think I used to like some of you people.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, I feel like the crazies tend to disappear after the games are finally released. Yeah the forums are getting bigger, but that also means more cool people start showing up.

But yeah, I've had Crichton fans lecture me in depth about how "accurate" his stories are. To hear them talk you'd think the guy wrote non-fiction ...
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Honestly, I feel like the crazies tend to disappear after the games are finally released. Yeah the forums are getting bigger, but that also means more cool people start showing up.

But yeah, I've had Crichton fans lecture me in depth about how "accurate" his stories are. To hear them talk you'd think the guy wrote non-fiction ...

They've got nothing on Tolkienites.
  • edited June 2010
    Being based on well-known movie franchises won't make the games suck and doesn't automatically mean they won't be adventure games. Why would it?
  • edited June 2010
    I trust that Telltale Games knows what they're doing.

That is all.
  • edited June 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Being based on well-known movie franchises won't make the games suck and doesn't automatically mean they won't be adventure games. Why would it?

Because the press release said that they were branching into new styles of gameplay, and many people pessimistically assume that means something other than adventure games.
  • edited June 2010
    That's news to me.

Well...okay, it was news to me when they started coming out of the woodwork yesterday. And to think I used to like some of you people.

Hey I think I have openly admitted on my profile that it was one of my favorites.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Okay, seriously, I don't have anything against Jurassic Park, I just find it terribly uninteresting.
  • edited June 2010
    I must say I'm also kinda dissapointed in this. Was either hoping for an original IP or an old Lucasarts IP. (Grim or DOTT anyone?)
    I'm sure they could nail it with the adventure genre (especially BTTF), but after hearing about that they wanted to explore "new styles of gameplay" my attitude went from intrigued to VERY sceptical.
    But that's just me!

I'm also a little worried; if this doesn't go well financially in the end - what consequences will this have for Telltale as a company?

Anyways.. Here's hoping for the best.. (*GULP*)
  • edited June 2010
    Jurassic Park was a great ride (no pun intended). A great popcorn flick. All three movies. Yes, the third movie was highly questionable and a little hokey, but it was still fun to watch. Why can't people just enjoy something for its entertainment value rather than nitpicking it to pieces?
  • edited June 2010
    Tbh I can only remember Jurassic Park from the special spicy Cheetos bags that had dinosaur-shaped cheetos. So I'm not really hyped about JP, unless they give a bag of Cheetos with the DVD.
  • edited June 2010
    Too many people are acting like this is somehow equivalent to when LEC announced they were no longer going to make adventure games. It's not. Stop being annoying.
  • edited June 2010
    I must admit I'm looking forward to the BttF game (this license would fit perfectly in a classic adventure game) but part of me is afraid that taking on more "mainstream" licenses causes them to neglect the smaller ones for being "less profitable" (No more MI or S&M for years to come), but I'm hopefull that TTG won't sell their souls...

(And still another annoucement and no Futurama license in sight.. (sigh))
  • edited June 2010
    Gee, you guys. Even if they do drop the ball and become more and more business-minded (I don't see that happening) that's not going to happen any time soon. You're all a very cynical bunch.
  • edited June 2010
    So when I discovered the announcement about JP and back to the future games I had to look at my calendar.
    -Dear God is today April 1st?
    -No sonny, it's not.
    Boys, we are in trouble: this announcement is unfortunately not a joke.

I really really hope that Telltale will still find the time to develop top-notch funny adventure games and not rely solely on big commercial franchises.
  • edited June 2010
    I really really hope that Telltale will still find the time to develop top-notch funny adventure games and not rely solely on big commercial franchises.

They will. Please everyone stop with the doom and gloom. It's not like they were bought out by Activision or something.
  • edited June 2010
    *facepalm*
  • edited June 2010
    Firstly, with the licensing: how is any more of a sellout than when the picked up the wallace and gromit license?

And as for a potential different genre: Like it or not, too much of a genre in the market leads to it's demise. Some people are starting to tire of adventure games, so can you really blame TTG for wanting to branch out a little bit? If the developers were churning out Adventure games non-stop, they would tire, and probably quit, or loose motivation. This way the get to try new things.

Plus, i doubt they will stop making adventure games (they have so much talent there for those games), but i wouldn't be surprised if the money this generates leads to another side of TTG, in addition to the current adventure centric side.

This is, of course, assuming the games are entirely different genres. Personally, i can see them being more like the Bone games were (point&click with some minigames(which will have a bigger role this time) thrown in)
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale is Amazing and I can't wait to see how these turn out. Seriously have they let us down yet? I think not.
    I Love Jurassic Park and have faith it will be awesome. Maybe you will be able to die if you mess up or something like some of the sierra games. Not going to lie, Pretty excited however there is def a little fear as well.

But honestly survival horror adventures are awesome too.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I think I see what bothers me most about this now. Other than CSI (which many of us haven't been exposed to due to its unavailability by digital delivery), this is Telltale's first big step into two areas: realism and the straight action adventure genre. The realism thing could go either way, I think. Telltale making something that's not cartoony isn't the end of the world, or they could go the other route and basically do a caricature out of it, like the BttF animated series.

It's the straight action adventure part that really gets me. One of the things I love best about Telltale's games is the excellent humor, no matter which series they're working on, and that's something that I can't see them successfully incorporating into Jurassic Park. Even Back to the Future, despite having its funny moments, isn't exactly rife with humor.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I think I see what bothers me most about this now. Other than CSI (which many of us haven't been exposed to due to its unavailability by digital delivery), this is Telltale's first big step into two areas: realism and the straight action adventure genre. The realism thing could go either way, I think. Telltale making something that's not cartoony isn't the end of the world, or they could go the other route and basically do a caricature out of it, like the BttF animated series.

It's the straight action adventure part that really gets me. One of the things I love best about Telltale's games is the excellent humor, no matter which series they're working on, and that's something that I can't see them successfully incorporating into Jurassic Park. Even Back to the Future, despite having its funny moments, isn't exactly rife with humor.

I've been anxious to see TTG tackle more serious fare. It's cool to have comedy, but it'd be nice to have a The Dig or Indy and the Fate of Atlantis here and there.
  • edited June 2010
    One of these days I'm going to have to get around to playing those. And Maniac Mansion. And Day of the Tentacle. And Loom.

Okay, really the only LucasArts games I've played are the four Monkey Islands, Grim Fandango, and as of recently, Hit the Road...
  • edited June 2010
    Wow. You haven't even played some of the best stuff yet.
  • edited June 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Can I get a "Hell yeah!" now?

Hell Yeah!

Come on! It's one of the most beloved franchies of all (ey, It's Back to the Future!!) and it's one of the companies which provided us with the highest quality adventure games ever. How can get things wrong? Great Scott!
  • edited June 2010
    Even if the games will be no "real" adventuregames, but action-adventures, telltale hasn't dissapointed me yet (and i own every single game), so i trust them, i'm pretty sure they know what they do.

i don't understand this "NO, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM GOOD OLD ADVENTURE GAMES. YOU WOULD'NT BE TELLTALE ANYMORE!!! YOU WOULD BETRAY US ALL!!!!"-Stuff. It's not like they're doing strategy games or first person shooters from now on. It's just Back to the Future. HELL YEAH, BACK TO THE FUTURE, GOD, DAMNIT!!! *dancing* ... and jurassic park

edit: and the comparison between brütal legend and bttf/jp is kinda out of place, brütal legend is a completey new "universe" without any prehistory (or isn't it), while everyone in the world knows bttf and jurassic park.

btw. i really enjoyed the new ghostbusters game (pc), oh yeah, i just love it
  • OMAOMA
    edited June 2010
    Don't be so scared about this "experimenting with new styles of gameplay"... Sam & Max Season 3: The Devil's Playhouse also has new a style of gameplay (mental toys, etc.) and it's still a graphic adventure, is it? ;-)
  • edited June 2010
    signs2.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Gee, you guys. Even if they do drop the ball and become more and more business-minded (I don't see that happening) that's not going to happen any time soon. You're all a very cynical bunch.
    something changed on the internet dear god all life is over

seriously the adventure game fan base is one of the worst ever
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe it's because we're conditioned to be used to and expect betrayal and neglect.

Ah, LucasArts, you're like the abusive father I never had.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.