No, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Maybe. I was never a hardcore LucasArts fan, truth be told. I was more of a Sierra fan. So I never latched onto LucasArts as much as others here obviously have. But that doesn't mean you treat all other game devs the same way. I mean, for crying out loud, half the people who work at TTG are there because of what happened at LA.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey, I never said it was an entirely logical reaction, just that it might be an underlying cause.
  • edited June 2010
    PariahKing wrote: »
    something changed on the internet dear god all life is over
    seriously the adventure game fan base is one of the worst ever

Whaa-? Something changed on the internet? :P

Seriously though.. The adventuregame genre has been quite fragile the last 10-15 years. That's why most of the fanbase have grown largly protective of it. Maybe too protective of it, but that makes it hardly the "worst fanbase ever"!

When your favourite adventuregame company is changing their scope, you have a right to be a little worried. We don't want Telltale to "turning all LA" on us do we?? :P

But as as I said; Though sceptical, I'm hoping for the best!
  • edited June 2010
    "Turn into LA"

But LA is still working on and selling adventure games. Yes, I know I can already hear the "but but but" BUT the special editions count.
  • edited June 2010
    Updating graphics and adding voices hardly counts as working on adventure games. Until I see a new adventure game come out of LucasArts, I still won't consider them capable of producing them again. With all the employee turnover, it might as well be a different company from the one that produced all our favorites. It just happens to still own the rights to those games and therefore the ability to shine them up, which is a totally different skill set from actually making those games in the first place.

So yeah, the verdict's still out on what the current role of LucasArts is in the adventure games market.
  • edited June 2010
    Funny, I saw the LucasArts logo at the start of Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, they licensed it to Telltale, Telltale made the game, and LucasArts got to stamp their name on it because they still own the property. And leadership has changed since that licensing deal occurred, so nobody knows what the new management is going to do in regards to adventure gaming, other than that MI2:SE hasn't been canned.
  • edited June 2010
    Then again, while disappointed, I guess I never jumped so fast on the LA hate bandwagon. I HAVE badmouthed them for it, but I've never truly hated them for it. I still had a lot of great games by them to play.
  • edited June 2010
    I've never said I hated them. I've spent the majority of the last decade disappointed in them, but I never hated them.

Now Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, that I hated.
  • edited June 2010
    Outside of Battlefront I and II, eh, none of their Star Wars games were that great. Force Unleashed had a great story but awful gameplay, and Empire At War was great fun at first but quickly got tired after a while.
  • edited June 2010
    I enjoyed Episode 1: Racer okay (and the arcade game of it is pretty cool), but Bounty Hunter (the last of the three Star Wars games I own) was pretty mediocre. Also, the end was ridiculously hard, though I may have missed something or just lost interest, since my dad managed to beat it before I could.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, that description makes me want to play it. I love ridiculously hard games. You know, the kind that are so hard they become no fun after a while but just frustratingly impossible to most? I thrive on those. You're lookin' at the guy who almost beat Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde for NES, which also turned out to be the worst gaming experience of my life.

Another Star Wars game people tell me is amazing is Knights of the Old Republic, but I haven't been able to try it yet. It does sound up my alley though, from what little I've heard.
  • edited June 2010
    You know what game you would absolutely love? E.T. That game was so hard I almost snapped my Atari joystick in two before finally giving up.

Seriously, though, I don't think I own a game that I've disqualified on my list for being too hard. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is tempting, but I've hardly given it a try yet, so we'll see. Honestly, the hardest game I've finished in recent memory is Rogue Squadron, a game that took me a decade to force myself through. Some of the missions in that game were just outright ridiculous. I'm sure I've beaten harder, but that was just an enormous thorn in my side for a long time and I'm finally done with it.
  • edited June 2010
    I think that the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series and KOTOR are great Star Wars games. All of them.
    Republic Commando and a few more were just OK.
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace was real crap, though
  • edited June 2010
    I owned E.T. when I was a kid, but those cartridges are long lost. I only have one left now, but no console. My grandparents sold it. Probably for ten bucks. I always thought Raiders of the Lost Ark was much much worse.

The hardest games I've ever played are mostly from the NES like Metal Gear, Ninja Gaiden, or Power Blade. Gah, they were so tough. But nothing was as bad as Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde. It's almost unplayable; it's worse than E.T. And it's an NES game. Yeah. Another Nintendo game I tore my hair out at was Earthbound. The game has the hardest difficulty curve I've ever seen at the very beginning of the game and it gets HARDER. That game was a nightmare. The most recent ultra tough game I played though is Half-Life 1. It makes Half-Life 2 look like Pong slowed down in the difficulty department. As far as adventure games, the most difficult I've ever played are Quest For Glory 2, Shadow of the Comet, and The Dig. Those also happen to be some of my favorites; I love them.
  • edited June 2010
    I own two copies of E.T. and two Atari systems. Well, my dad does, but I've pretty much inherited one of the consoles and all of the games.

What's really sad is that if I'm really honest with myself about it, the hardest out of my 17 NES games is probably Wall Street Kid.
  • edited June 2010
    Outside of Battlefront I and II, eh, none of their Star Wars games were that great.

Oh no you didn't!

Plotless stupid Battlefront games are the WORST!
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Oh no you didn't!

They don't need a plot to be fun.
  • edited June 2010
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace was real crap, though

You're doing it wrong; Mos Espa, Home Of The Greatest Hunter The Galaxy Has Ever Known
  • edited June 2010
    Oh no you didn't!

They were fun because some of my best friends had them on the XBOX and we'd constantly compete in them and stuff. When you're playing with friends, games tend to be a lot more fun and take on a whole new light. Otherwise nobody would ever buy Wii Sports.
  • edited June 2010
    Fair call. I prefer the X-Wing series and the Jedi Knight series (plus KOTOR) for my Star Wars kicks.
  • edited June 2010
    I honestly enjoy all the star wars games, the only one i didn't enjoy was galaxies, but I know I'll enjoy old republic.
  • edited June 2010
    When you're playing with friends, games tend to be a lot more fun and take on a whole new light.

That's the only way that I'm currently getting through Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I started to give up on that game even more quickly during my recent second attempt at it than I did the first time I tried to get through it. Then I got my friend to agree to go through it with me, since I played human walkthrough and forced him through Majora's Mask (which shouldn't have been so much of a struggle, since the game is awesome). The game is so much more enjoyable when you're laughing at your friend naming himself "Potato" and you don't have to deal with a Moogle NPC whining about being too tired to keep carrying the chalice.
  • edited June 2010
    I love Majoras Mask, but I couldn't make it through it without a walkthrough. The time thing is just too nervewracking. Otherwise I'd never use a cheat guide for it.
  • edited June 2010
    I've never worried about the time limit at all, but I do still prefer to use a guide, mainly because of the stray fairies. However...

During my friend's run, the game locked up when he had nearly completed the Stone Tower Temple, and he was doing the Anju and Kafei sequence in the same three days. I volunteered to redo it for him and save where he'd locked up, and I managed to get to the same point he was at about 12 in-game hours faster than he did without using a walkthrough. Of course, I'd just seen him do it while being guided by me and my player's guide, but it was still pretty awesome.
  • edited June 2010
    I played the first Crystal Chronicles with my brother and his friends, good times! We never did finish it (logged a load of hours in that game) and his friends weren't quite as adept at playing it as my brother and I were at first, but our Yuke got used to his magic fairly quickly. My brothers other friend just ran around like a crazy man and was constantly dying on purpose, which was actually hilarious rather than infuriating. We'd yell "Baby leash!" every time he wandered too far off, and cheered every time he managed to get out of the miasma without dying, even when he was far off screen. During boss fights his job was to get attacked the most since his dying would do the least harm. *sigh* I miss luggin' that bucket around ...
  • edited June 2010
    The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, X-Wing/Tie Fighter, and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds are all excellent series. That was when Star Wars games were good and half-decent. Episode 1: Racer was also great. And I may be alone on this, but I loved Star Wars: Demolition which used the Vigilante 8 engine (also a great game).
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    So, I just want to chime in and make a few points about this direction people seem so frightened of from TellTale. This is my opinion and observation as the newest Designer in the company, and not an official stance from TellTale:

We're committed to characters, stories, and a cinematic gaming experience.

We have these licenses now, and we have people in the studio excited about these licenses. So now we're hard at work coming up with characters and stories that bring us back to the enjoyment and wonderment of these properties.

The thing is, for us, great characters can go on great adventures that feature great action. "Action" does not require a first person shooter framework. You're likely not going to see any first or third person shooters from us anytime soon, but we really enjoy action scenes like the original escape from the T-Rex and the tandem trailers hanging over the cliff, and we want to find a compelling way to make experiences like that playable.

We are passionate gamers/movie-o-philes just like most of you guys. We aren't selling out. We genuinely want to make a great game about cloned dinosaurs eating interesting characters!

...I mean... interesting characters trying not to get eaten by cloned dinosaurs.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you for posting. Hugely appreciated. And welcome.

Next time you read this thread it will probably have derailed into something like the best techniques for installing drywall during house renovations.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Thank you for posting. Hugely appreciated. And welcome.

Next time you read this thread it will probably have derailed into something like the best techniques for installing drywall during house renovations.

Oh, snap! I'm renovating my house... derail away!
  • edited June 2010
    Orange chicken is awesome! Discuss.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer my chickens subservient.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer my chickens to have dormant ancestral genes activated in an attempt to retro-engineer and recreate the Velociraptor-like monsters from which they evolved:

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/apr/27-jack-horner.s-plan-bring-dinosaurs-back-to-life/

Ha! Bet you didn't think I could get this thread back on topic so quickly!
  • edited June 2010
    Jerk. Try this one.

Cap'n Crunch is awesome! Discuss.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer my Cap'n Crunch subservient
  • edited June 2010
    I really wish you guys wouldn't do that. It's even against the rules, look:
    IV. Don't attempt to destroy a discussion because you don't think it's worth discussing.

This basically covers the times where someone spots a thread they don't think should exist, and then does whatever they can to shut down any kind of constructive discussion that might occur there. This can include (but is not limited to) overtly asking why the thread exists in said thread, being mean to the original thread poster or respondents, deliberately trying to steer discussion towards something unrelated to the original topic, posting super-negative responses without a good reason (i.e., if it doesn't match the tone of the thread), or requesting a lock/deletion publicly while others are still trying to have a discussion. This does not mean you can't get in touch with us if you have a problem with a thread.

The quality of threads on our forums will vary, but please leave it up to the Telltale Team to judge a discussion's ultimate fate, and don't try to artificially make it a bad thread through non-constructive posting. Even if the subject matter is somewhat weak, you're not doing us a favor by making the thread tank. If you don't really have anything positive or relevant to contribute to a discussion, feel free to ignore it.
  • edited June 2010
    And there we go. Discussion gets back on track if it needs to. Telltale forums have a pretty unique vibe. I wouldn't want to moderate against that, unless the derailing was done constantly and with bad intent.

Normally here it's tangents that change a threads topic, not a deliberate trollish post.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah. Considering that this is the thread in the JP forums where the subject is in line with my feelings on the game, I'm the last person to think that it's "not worth discussing". We were just making fun of the forums' tendency to go off in crazy directions.

Besides, the thread was effectively dead anyway, the discussion totally talked out, and if someone had something new to say, it would've gone right back on track.
  • edited June 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Oh, snap! I'm renovating my house... derail away!

I'd say to make sure the drywall is attached so that there is 1/2 in gap between the bottom of the drywall and the floor, especially in "wet" situations, for example, behind a sink, dishwasher or in a bathroom. This will help prevent the drywall from getting wet in case of a leak in such an area, and the space will not be visible after you install baseboards or cabinets. It also pays to paint as well as texture your drywall; it adds another layer of moisture protection.
    Sinaz20 wrote: »

We are passionate gamers/movie-o-philes just like most of you guys. We aren't selling out. We genuinely want to make a great game about cloned dinosaurs eating interesting characters!

...I mean... interesting characters trying not to get eaten by cloned dinosaurs.

I want to play as a dinosaur! Please, please, please, please? Just for one little section, maybe? Like, a "Rampage" homage or something?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.