Game-Style?

edited January 2011 in Jurassic Park
Hi, Im not very familiar with Telltale games.

How will this new jurassic park look and play?

I mean will it be like an adventure, open-world game like rockstars 'Red Dead Redemption' or 'GTA IV'? In which you can roam around the Island, encounter dinosaurs and complete missions when ever it suits you.

Or will it be more of a click and move game? Something like a PC game.

Could someone with more experience in playing Telltale games please tell me what is likely to be the style of the game? By style I mean what will it look like? Will be a game like red dead redemption? or a game like 'Jurassic park: Operation Genesis' with that click and move style

Sorry if this is a pointless thread, it's just im really excited about this game because Jurassic Park is my all time favourite film franchise.

Cheers x :)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Definitely, not a sand-box game (RockStar's GTA and such)
  • edited July 2010
    It's probably not going to be a park sim like Operation Genesis either. It will almost certainly be released for PC as well as other platforms, and the PC version will probably involve using the mouse and clicking, if you're for some reason opposed to that.

We really don't know that much about the game at this point. Telltale usually makes traditional adventure games, which are different from action-adventure games in that all of the emphasis is on story and puzzle-solving rather than combat and platforming. But they've stated that their Jurassic Park game will be different from their usual games. It'll probably have more fast-paced action-y elements than their usual stuff. But we really don't know.

It's not likely to be free-roaming, because their proprietary engine is more suited for creating smaller enclosed environments with fixed, cinematic camera angles.
  • edited July 2010
    harryisere wrote: »
    Or will it be more of a click and move game with poor graphics? Something like a PC game.

This is your definition of a PC game?
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    This is your definition of a PC game?

Yes it is. In most PC games you use a mouse to click and move.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, if you aren't a PC Gamer, I'd advise you try the Demo for 'Sam and Max Save The World' on Xbox or 'Tales of Monkey Island' on PSN so you can see the type of games TTG makes.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes it is. In most PC games you use a mouse to click and move.

Usually the mouse is used to look and perform actions; rarely is it used for movement. And also, the way your post was worded, "poor graphics" was part of the definition, which is most certainly not the case (Unless you're talking about PopCap's games).
  • edited July 2010
    I'll choose to ignore harryisere's incorrect claims about PC gaming and simply say that in my opinion it will probably be a classic adventure style game with possibly some elements of action, as much as I love point and click adventure games, I simply can't imagine a Jurrasic Park game without some sort of action...
  • edited July 2010
    I mean will it be like an adventure, open-world game like rockstars 'Red Dead Redemption' or 'GTA IV'? In which you can roam around the Island, encounter dinosaurs and complete missions when ever it suits you.
    I thought I wasn't interested in this game, but actually, if it's anything like this, sign me up! That sounds unbelievably awesome! (And reminds me of the Lost Valley from Tomb Raider.)
    Or will it be more of a click and move game with poor graphics? Something like a PC game.
    You know GTA is a PC game right, and that the PC is the only platform for which all GTA games have been released? If it wasn't for the PC, GTA wouldn't even exist!
    xbskid wrote: »
    (Unless you're talking about PopCap's games).
    What's with all the hating? PopCap rocks! They make fun games, sell them at a reasonable price, and open-sourced their framework for everyone to use.
  • edited August 2010
    Well... One thing I know: It's going to be a well written story with drama and tension... A gaming-cinematic experience... TTG are great at that! :D
  • edited August 2010
    SubSidal wrote: »
    Well... One thing I know: It's going to be a well written story with drama and tension... A gaming-cinematic experience... TTG are great at that! :D

That much I'm hoping for. When it comes to Jurassic Park I want and awesome story with drama and tension.

Of course, we still don't know what cannon this game will fall under. If it follows the movies will it take place before the movies or after? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

As for as gameplay, I'm hoping they do go with a different approach than their previous works. I'm going to be honest. I'm just here to follow Jurassic Park. I've played the demos for Sam and Max and Monkey Island. I did not like Monkey Island at all! I did enjoy Sam and Max a bit more but it didn't see like something I would want to pay for.

So, I'm hoping for a gameplay different than that of those two. If they do, I hope it's more along the line of what Heavy Rain was. Because walking around as Sam and Max in that game reminded me a bit of how you walked around in Heavy Rain. I'm well aware that Heavy Rain is not a TellTale game but the similarity is there.
  • edited August 2010
    As for as gameplay, I'm hoping they do go with a different approach than their previous works. I'm going to be honest. I'm just here to follow Jurassic Park. I've played the demos for Sam and Max and Monkey Island. I did not like Monkey Island at all! I did enjoy Sam and Max a bit more but it didn't see like something I would want to pay for.

So, I'm hoping for a gameplay different than that of those two. If they do, I hope it's more along the line of what Heavy Rain was. Because walking around as Sam and Max in that game reminded me a bit of how you walked around in Heavy Rain. I'm well aware that Heavy Rain is not a TellTale game but the similarity is there.

Which Sam & Max demo did you try? I'm wondering if you tried an older one (Season 1 or 2), which had a different mechanic for moving the character. The latest Sam & Max has the same mechanic as Tales of Monkey Island, and I would have to guess that if JP is using the same engine it will use the same input style as well. Was it just the mechanics of the game, meaning how you get your character to do what you want it to do, that bothered you? Or the actual gameplay, ie. figuring out what the character is supposed to do to advance in the game. I'm not familiar with Heavy Rain, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Given that JP is not a comedy (I hope that's a safe assumption :D) and doesn't have the kind of history that S&M and MI have in the adventure game genre, Telltale has a lot of room to innovate in terms of gameplay. And their comments have indicated they intend to do so. But how much and in what direction is a big unknown. I'm really quite curious to see what they come up, but we're not going to know about game-style until they tell us.
  • edited August 2010
    The Sam & Max demo I played was for what I think was called "The Peno Zone" or something weird like that. lol

You're right though, the basic layout was the same but walking in Sam and Max felt more fluid while in Monkey Island it seemed more slugish. In the sense that when I wanted the guy to go one way it didn't always seem to respond in the way it was supposed to.

The way you get the characters to progress the story didn't bother me as much. The only thing that really got to me was that there was no real sense of urgency. When the monkey guy was getting sucked into the portal thing the game gives you time to figure out what you have to do. I could have left the game there, went go use the bathroom, take a shower, get something to eat, go see a movie, then come back and the monkey would still be there hanging on.

Jurassic Park is suspensfull. Especially the novel and original movie. But if there's no risk then there's no suspense. I'm hoping they change that from their previous games.

For example, we don't know what the game will be like so let's just say it's a remake of the first film and the level we were on was the raptors in the kitchen scene. If gone the Sam and Max route the raptor would stay by the door and not move untill you found a way out of the kitchen with out being seen.

Done in a different, and more suspensfull way, the raptor would actually move around the kitchen and you would have to crawl and stay behind cover so that the raptor doesn't see you as you look for an exit. And if the raptor does see you it chases you and game over.
  • edited August 2010
    The Sam & Max demo I played was for what I think was called "The Peno Zone" or something weird like that. lol

You're right though, the basic layout was the same but walking in Sam and Max felt more fluid while in Monkey Island it seemed more slugish. In the sense that when I wanted the guy to go one way it didn't always seem to respond in the way it was supposed to.

The way you get the characters to progress the story didn't bother me as much. The only thing that really got to me was that there was no real sense of urgency. When the monkey guy was getting sucked into the portal thing the game gives you time to figure out what you have to do. I could have left the game there, went go use the bathroom, take a shower, get something to eat, go see a movie, then come back and the monkey would still be there hanging on.

Jurassic Park is suspensfull. Especially the novel and original movie. But if there's no risk then there's no suspense. I'm hoping they change that from their previous games.

For example, we don't know what the game will be like so let's just say it's a remake of the first film and the level we were on was the raptors in the kitchen scene. If gone the Sam and Max route the raptor would stay by the door and not move untill you found a way out of the kitchen with out being seen.

Done in a different, and more suspensfull way, the raptor would actually move around the kitchen and you would have to crawl and stay behind cover so that the raptor doesn't see you as you look for an exit. And if the raptor does see you it chases you and game over.

This is a really great post. Even though you're new to Telltale, you've managed to perfectly summarize all of the big questions that we've been having about the game. So far everything Telltale's ever made has followed the classic LucasArts adventure game design philosophy, which means that it's impossible to die or screw up in their games. Obviously most of us here like those sorts of games or we wouldn't be here, but I agree that the Jurassic Park franchise is going to require something more suspenseful. All Telltale's said so far is that the gameplay will be somewhat different from their usual games, and we're all eagerly waiting to find out what that means.

Also kudos on doing some research about the sorts of games that Telltale makes, rather than just showing up and demanding a Grand Theft Auto clone like certain people on the Back to the Future forum. :P
  • edited August 2010
    Well, thank you. :)

Yes, I like to do my research. The moment I heard that TellTale had gained the rights of Jurassic Park (one of my top 3 favorite franchises of all times) I jumbed on the computer to figure out just who the heck these TellTale people were. lol And when I learned that two of there demos were on the PSN I jumped on that to see how their games were.

Like I said before, I didn't enjoy Monkey Island but had a better experience with Sam and Max. So it did make me raise an eyebrow. All the Jurassic Park games made so far, except for Operation Gensis of course, were mostly shoot em' up games. I was having a hard time seeing a Jurassic Park game being devoloped like the demo I was playing. I'm not giving up hope though. From the looks of things TellTale games seem to be story driven and also very puzzle based. And those two mix very well with the Jurassic Park universe.

Even though the Jurassic Park games were heavy on action there was always puzzle elements to them. In the SNES version of Jurassic Park you had to find key cards and turn the power back on. In Jurassic Park: Trespasser you had simple phisic based puzzles and some key card puzzles you had to figure out.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to what TellTale can do with Jurassic Park. Which brings up my next question. Anyone know when the next bit of news will come out on this game?
  • edited August 2010
    Out of curiosity, what was it about Monkey Island that you didn't like and that you think Sam and Max did better (other than the controls)?
  • edited August 2010
    Probably Sam and Max themselves. I thought they were great characters.

I played Monkey Island first. And the three character in the demo are the main guy, his wife, and the zombie pirate. The main guy was really annoying me. lol I can't quite put my finger on it but he just did. His wife wasn't any better. I found her annoying as well even if she did seem smarter than her husband. The zombie pirate was alright but I don't know. The game just didn't click with me and I think it's because of the characters.

Sam and Max I can deal with. I only played the demo once but I can tell you that the most enjoyable part was listening to Sam and Max's conversations. I also liked the Twilight Zone looking guy who did the narations.

Honestly, and I don't mean to make anyone mad this is just my opinion, I felt the characters in Monkey Island were too stupid to make the game enjoyable for me. Granted, Sam and Max aren't exactly smart themsleves but there's a difference between a silliness that's just silly and a silliness that has wit too it. Sam and Max had wit. Monkey Island did not. In my opinion anyway.

I think I see why you would question me though. If you look at Monkey Island and Sam and Max they look almost the same. In a way they are just with different characters and story. So if you take into account that those are the only differences. Then I like Sam and Max better because of it's characters and story.

Edit: Let's not forget it was the demo I played and I just started checking out TellTale games. I may just need to invest more time in them. I know Monkey Island got a lot of praise and I believe it was mostly directed at the story part of the games though. And the demo doesn't really show much on the story.
  • edited August 2010
    No worries. :) Your opinion is valid, and your criticisms are completely legitimate.

And I realize now that my question was kind of stupid. It was a bit like asking, "Why do you like this movie and not that movie when they're both movies?" Well, obviously because of the story and characters so forth. >.<
  • edited August 2010
    waroftheworlds01, I will have to admit, reading your posts had me conflicted at first. I have the fanboy side of me that loves playing TellTale games, anything with Sam & Max or Guybrush (the husband character you saw in the Monkey Island demo), and adventure games in general and it just wanted to defend the games I love from someone that just doesn't "get" what makes them great in the first place. And then I took a breather and finished reading your posts. :) So yes, my more temperate side won out this time. ;)

But I totally agree with thesporkman. You did a great job of actually researching what TTG really was all about. From my experience with TTG, they will always work with original writers, voice actors, and companies involved when making their own products. Sadly, Crichton isn't with us any longer, so consulting him won't be possible, so all we can do is hope they capture the essence of JP like they have so many times in the past with more comical roles.

Honestly the one thing that concerns me the most is whether they go with episodic content for JP. While it worked for a comical game, using it on a game that needs suspense to feel "right" could really take you out of the feel of danger. I believe the games will have to give you a sense that you can die and have to try again, and actually give you consequences for failure.

Crossing my fingers!
  • edited August 2010
    detard wrote: »

Honestly the one thing that concerns me the most is whether they go with episodic content for JP. While it worked for a comical game, using it on a game that needs suspense to feel "right" could really take you out of the feel of danger. I believe the games will have to give you a sense that you can die and have to try again, and actually give you consequences for failure.

Crossing my fingers!

Fingers crossed as well. I can see it being episodic story wise. Using the first film as an example again. Let's say we're on the episode that the T-Rex escapes. Here how TellTale could use their style for this scene.

Like in Sam and Max you can switch between characters. Whe the Rex escapes it attacks the first car with the kids in it. While it's attacking the car as Grant you have to search the back of your car, find the flare, go outside, and use the flare to lure the T-Rex away. They you would switch to Malcolm and use another flare to distract the rex while Grant goes save the kids. Then when you finish that scene the next ep is the jeep chase and Grant and the kids walking through the island trying to find the visitor center.

If you mess up though the T-Rex eats you. But that could get frustrating. Hmmm... I can't wait to see some gameplay videos cause i want to know how TellTale is doing this!!! lol

Which is being worked on first by the way? BTTF or JP? Or are they being made at the same time?
  • edited August 2010
    BttF is supposed to come out first. But we don't know if that means they'll release all of the BttF episodes first and then start working on JP or if there will be some overlap and JP will start coming out halfway through the BttF season or something.
  • edited August 2010
    Ah, okay. So it could take quite some time then. Might as well stick around though. i think I'll buy the full version of Sam and Max next week then. Get into the TellTale spirit.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but have you tried Puzzle Agent? Even though it's not completly made by Telltale, it's still a good indication of how Telltale can handle(mostly) non-comedy storylines.
  • edited August 2010
    I haven't. I saw it on the forums here but didn't look into it. Jumped right into Jurassic Park. lol I'll check it out as well though.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010

If you mess up though the T-Rex eats you. But that could get frustrating. Hmmm... I can't wait to see some gameplay videos cause i want to know how TellTale is doing this!!! lol

Which is being worked on first by the way? BTTF or JP? Or are they being made at the same time?

How we're making dinosaurs eat people? Other than just chomp-chomp?

And we're working on both right now.
  • edited August 2010
    That's music to my ears right there :)
  • edited August 2010
    If they want to maintain a "can't die" policy, fine with me. If they want to add "deaths", that's also great. So long as they find a decent balance between adding that sense of peril, and making it so frustrating and repetitive trying to pass a particular scene over and over again you just stop playing and no longer care about it. If you've died thirty times in the same place, that sense of peril is no longer there, anyway. But mostly that depends on the difficulty level and your (as the player) experience and skill, so there's no way to satisfy everyone.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm more excited for the BttF game, but I'm more intrigued by the JP game. BttF is by far my favorite out of these two franchises, but I think I've got a pretty good idea of how those games are gonna work.

JP is a totally different beast (pun not intended). I honestly don't have a clue of what to expect from TT in this game.
  • edited August 2010
    And that just makes it that much more exciting waiting for the game. That and the fact Jurassic Park is a rare title nowdays. Although, can't help but notice it's in the middle of a comeback.

A toyline was released.
    A comic is being worked on with issue one already out.
    And now a TellTale game!

For a series that hasn't had much activity since Jurassic Park /// this is big news!
  • edited August 2010
    Hmmm indeed. Big news, just imagine a jurassic park game with these graphics:

sam_max_consoles.jpg

I think I'll stick with JPOG a 7 year old game with graphics 10 times better.

simjp2010072321214084.png
  • edited August 2010
    That's a pretty old version of the Telltale engine you took the Sam & Max shot from. And that game is SUPPOSED to look cartoony.
  • edited August 2010
    Not to mention that the graphics in that Sam and Max season one screenshot are actually more technically impressive than the jaggie-ridden low-poly low-res nightmare that you posted as a comparison.
  • edited August 2010
    OMG! I hope it looks like this:

ps1trogdor.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Honestly, and this is coming from a huge Jurassic park fan, I would say the picture of Sam and Max is more impressive. Smooth character builds are hard to come by in video games and Sam and Max in the picture is extreamly smooth. I mean, look at them! There's no imperfection at all in that picture!

Now look at the spinosaurus in the second picture. Yes, the textures are more detailed. But look at all the blockyness of the edges. The texture may be nice but the model itself needs work. One of my complaints I had about Operation Genesis was the graphics.

Now, I can see where you're going with this. you're thinking that the game will suck if they look like cartoons. Now, that's just silly. I can think of endless examples of films and games that look cartoonish but are still awesome. Little Big Planet for starters. Conker's Bad Fur Day had cartoonish dinosaurs that were still bad ass. And basicly every Tim Burton movie had cartoonish monsters that were still awesome to witness. The Sandworms and SnakeBeetlejuice from Beetlejuice, the Aliens from mars attacks.

Making something look cartoonish doesn't make it childish. As long as they're presented the same way they were in the movie if the dinosaurs look cartoonish that's alright with me.

EDIT: Oh, and I think your confusing graphics with design. The graphics in Telltale are not bad. You just don't seem to like the design.
  • edited August 2010
    And Telltale is perfectly capable of coming up with more realistic-looking character models. The last time they did it, it looked like this:

csi-deadly-intent-005.jpg

And they've made significant improvements to their engine since then. So please, shut up about the god damn graphics at least until we see some screenshots or a trailer or something.
  • edited August 2010
    Graphics like that would be awesome as well. lol
    I just can't wait to see "something" about the game. Anything right now would be nice. I'm still watching the E3 trailer with the ripples in the water of the rex footprint every now and then to tie me over untill something a new video or screen shot is released. The more I think about the game the more on the edge of my seat I am.
  • edited August 2010
    Not to mention that the graphics in that Sam and Max season one screenshot are actually more technically impressive than the jaggie-ridden low-poly low-res nightmare that you posted as a comparison.

Who gives a fuck about low-res graphics, the game is 7 years old after all, but at least the low poly models have detailed textures.
  • edited August 2010
    evilrex wrote: »
    Who gives a fuck about low-res graphics, the game is 7 years old after all, but at least the low poly models have detailed textures.

Why would a video game based on a comic strip have detailed textures? Do you have any clue what the source material is, or are you just making crap up to rage about now?
  • edited August 2010
    Why would a video game based on a comic strip have detailed textures? Do you have any clue what the source material is, or are you just making crap up to rage about now?

I'm not directly aiming that at Sam & Max, but more rather just the entire of tell tale games' library.

Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Wallis & Gromit. Why only make games that are cartoony? Why take a movie that is not a cartoon and turn it into one within a video game?
  • edited August 2010
    I'm not directly aiming that at Sam & Max, but more rather just the entire of tell tale games' library.

Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Wallis & Gromit. Why only make games that are cartoony? Why take a movie that is not a cartoon and turn it into one within a video game?

They have made games based on properties that they were able to get a hold of and wanted to make, it has nothing to do with them being cartoony. There is no rule that Telltale will only work on cartoony games, as evidenced by the THREE CSI games they've produced over the past 4 years.
  • edited August 2010

Did you miss the CSI screenshot I posted?

Edit: Something I just remembered that's going to drive you crazy. Watch the original Jurassic Park again. Specifically, watch the scene with Nedry and the Dilophosaurus. When Nedry slips and falls down the hill, listen very carefully to the sound effect the foley artists chose for that moment.

Now tell me Jurassic Park isn't a cartoon. :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.