Thoughts after seeing the trilogy

edited January 2011 in Jurassic Park
Yesterday, I saw the Back to the Future trilogy in a row. I wrote a few comments on its forum.
Today, I've seen the Jurassic Park trilogy in a row. Now these are my comments for the game:

* I'd gladly see Isla Nublar again. After two adventures on Sorna, returning to the first island would be very nice.
* I don't care what Spielberg, Koepp or anyone else could say: I just don't believe that the T-Rex is the only dinosaur that comes to San Diego on the ship. Even with the suspension of disbelief while you're watching the movie, it's plain impossible that something as big as the T-Rex could kill the people inside the bridge without wrecking the bridge itself. That severed hand hanging from the helm? Come on, there must have been raptors, compis or other smaller dinosaurs on the ship to make that slaughter. Those unnoticed dinosaurs could be a nice starting point for a game story, taking something already on the movies and continuing from there.
* Even if we like or not, there should be kids on the story. For better or worse, the "kids-on-danger" factor is a trademark of the Jurassic Park franchise. I only hope they add the kid on the script better than in The Lost World. Malcom's daughter? Oh, man! And that ludicrous gymnastics scene? That scene is for The Lost World the same as Monkey Kombat is for Escape from Monkey Island... Even in JPIII the kid is better added to the story. Actually, without the kid, there wouldn't be story at all...
* Regarding the playable characters, I think Ian Malcolm and Alan Grant are great characters, but they are a little burnt-out. Nick van Owen and/or Billy Brennan could be a nice idea, though. Or a grown-up Tim (and/or Lex).

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I also would like to see Isla Nublar again. Isla Sorna would be cool only if they add even more to the mystery to the island. I like how it Trespasser as you explore the island you learn more about how it started and things like that.

You have a point about the boat in The Lost World. And it is possible that raptors made it on the boat. In the first novel, raptors made it onto the boat and they had to try and contact them before they made it to the mainland.

Yes, kids in danger is a bit of a Jurassic Park trademark isn't it? I have no problem with that. It never bothered me as much as it did others but I do draw the line at the gymnastic scene. Malcolm could have kicked that raptors ass on his own. lol

I would love to have Ian Malcolm as a playable character. He is by far my favorite character out of the entire series. And Jeff Goldblum is also my favortie actor. So it'll be awesome to have him voice the character as well.
  • edited August 2010
    The Boat scene in The Lost World is just a plot hole. every movie has them. In the movie itself, Ian Malcolm even asks someone and they say that it was the only one. Just a plo thole, nothing more and nothing less.
  • edited August 2010
    There's something seriously wrong with the kid in the third movie. His step dad (or mom's boyfriend or whoever he was) is dead, he's been surviving for eight weeks on a deserted island populated only by enormous carnivorous monsters, and his first reaction upon seeing another human being is, "Oh, hey, Dr. Grant. I read your book. What are you doing here? My parents are here... TOGETHER? WHAAAA?" And then when he's reunited with his mother, and she tells him to be careful, he pushes her away and is all like "Geez, mom. I'm not a little kid. I've been able to take care of myself just fine for the last eight weeks." The kid's got to be a psychopath or something. He's completely incapable of human emotion.

How did his step dad (or whatever) die anyway? He was still hanging in the tree by the parasail straps. He was not eaten by a dinosaur. Did the kid just leave him up there to bleed or starve to death? If he's so resourceful, couldn't he have done something to help him? I think he just left him up there as a decoy for the dinosaurs, so that he could get on with his own selfish survival.

They should have just left the little bastard on the island. Now he's probably going to grow up to be a serial killer.
  • edited August 2010
    The Boat scene in The Lost World is just a plot hole. every movie has them.
    True. But it wouldn't be the first time that a plot hole is used to build up a sequel from there.
    In the movie itself, Ian Malcolm even asks someone and they say that it was the only one.
    As far as they know. They say the T-rex is the only dinosaur on board because it's the only one THEY put on board. If some small dinosaurs came on board as unnoticed stowaways, they wouldn't know that, and their answer would still be that the T-Rex is the only dinosaur on the boat.
    Now he's probably going to grow up to be a serial killer.
    Now, the main character for the Jurassic Park GTA-style game that many people is waiting for!!!
  • edited August 2010
    True. But it wouldn't be the first time that a plot hole is used to build up a sequel from there.
    As far as they know. They say the T-rex is the only dinosaur on board because it's the only one THEY put on board. If some small dinosaurs came on board as unnoticed stowaways, they wouldn't know that, and their answer would still be that the T-Rex is the only dinosaur on the boat.

Now, the main character for the Jurassic Park GTA-style game that many people is waiting for!!!

Well, in the first Jurassic Park Novel there were Raptors getting on board the vessel, but they were shot and Killed, and thrown overboard, but Dinosaurs in the city as cool as it sounds, think about cops have guns, and it would really be hard to hide a Jurassic Park Velociraptor in a city.
  • edited August 2010
    what I want to know is... what happened to Jurassic Park 4? I have heard rumors for ages.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_%28franchise%29
    According to wiki it is in the works (for years) but in development hell. lol hope we see it eventually.
  • edited August 2010
    Masta23 wrote: »
    what I want to know is... what happened to Jurassic Park 4? I have heard rumors for ages.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_%28franchise%29
    According to wiki it is in the works (for years) but in development hell. lol hope we see it eventually.

There is a chance, it will be released after Captain America comes out in 2011, but...I'm weary on this.
  • edited August 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    There is a chance, it will be released after Captain America comes out in 2011, but...I'm weary on this.
    ah I see.. wonder if both Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum will be in.
  • edited August 2010
    Sam Neil is more likely than Jeff Goldblum seeing how he's in Law and Order now.

Although i hope he's able to have at least a cameo because Jeff Goldblum is awesome.
  • edited August 2010
    Right, finished the trilogy. Put off the third installment for ages because I've heard from several people that it's terrible - not so, I really liked it. Thought it was better than The Lost World.

JP3 made me realise that an adventure game could work. The characters are always adding to their inventory - food, flares, parachutes etc.

However, it also made me want film-like graphics and I'm not sure TT are capable of that.
  • edited August 2010
    Right, finished the trilogy. Put off the third installment for ages because I've heard from several people that it's terrible - not so, I really liked it. Thought it was better than The Lost World.
    Thank you, I was thinking I was the only one...
  • edited August 2010
    Nah, your not the only one. I like all three films myself. Although I find it easier to find fault with the last two.

There are worser follow ups. Could you imagin if Jurassic Park ended up like Lake Placid? The first was awesome but then part two became a made for tv movie as well as a part 3 coming out.

I'm glad that didn't happen to Jurassic park.
  • edited August 2010
    It's too bad Michael died. I would of loved to see a Jurassic Park 4. :(
  • edited August 2010
    mikeymang wrote: »
    It's too bad Michael died. I would of loved to see a Jurassic Park 4. :(

I know some have said (like Kathleen Kennedy) that the film series shouldn't continue because of Crichton's death but I think others are wanting to continue with it, like the director of JP3 who wants to start a second trilogy of films.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think the Lost World boat scene was a plot hole at all. It was always heavily implied that raptors were behind the attack. There was no way the T-Rex could have done what happened, and besides, he was still in the cargo hold. The film is unclear about what happened to the raptors. Maybe they jumped overboard, maybe they got into the cargo hold and the rex took them out, maybe they were even killed in the crash. Either way, they obviously weren't on the ship anymore so the T-Rex became the immediate threat. Perhaps dialogue about the raptors was cut, or perhaps it was always meant to be a little vague and mysterious, but it was certainly implied that they were there. (The implication was especially clear to people in the audience who had read the books, where a raptors-on-a-boat scene did take place)

I recently rewatched the trilogy too. I still love the films just as much as I always did, but something did stick out at me this time and it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. The trilogy - especially the second and third films - always treat the dinosaurs as movie monsters instead of animals. What I mean is, each film has the requisite "ooh and ahh" scene where the characters are wowed by the fact that there are dinos walking around, but after that the films seem to go out of the way to show that every dinosaur these people come across is going to try to kill them. Even when they come across the dinosaur equivalents of elephants, ostriches or giraffes, the dinos will try to kill them. Sometimes it makes sense - the gallimimus stampede from the first film I get. But other times, it really doesn't. Why would a huge flock of fish eating pteranodons feel the need to attack a group of humans? Why would a newly-released triceratops stick around to rampage through a human camp instead of just running into the woods? Why would a giant spinosaur with an island full of food take the time to casually stalk a group of barely snack-sized people? Why would a group of tiny scavenger compys attack a healthy full-grown man carrying a machine gun for no good reason? I get the monster movie feel and the excitement of these scenes, but I preferred the first film's slightly more nuanced approach where the dinos acted, for the most part, more realistically. I hope the longer play time of a videogame will allow Telltale to include a larger variety of interactions with dinos, instead of just "this thing wants to kill you" all the time.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think the Lost World boat scene was a plot hole at all. It was always heavily implied that raptors were behind the attack. There was no way the T-Rex could have done what happened, and besides, he was still in the cargo hold. The film is unclear about what happened to the raptors. Maybe they jumped overboard, maybe they got into the cargo hold and the rex took them out, maybe they were even killed in the crash. Either way, they obviously weren't on the ship anymore so the T-Rex became the immediate threat. Perhaps dialogue about the raptors was cut, or perhaps it was always meant to be a little vague and mysterious, but it was certainly implied that they were there. (The implication was especially clear to people in the audience who had read the books, where a raptors-on-a-boat scene did take place)

I recently rewatched the trilogy too. I still love the films just as much as I always did, but something did stick out at me this time and it kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. The trilogy - especially the second and third films - always treat the dinosaurs as movie monsters instead of animals. What I mean is, each film has the requisite "ooh and ahh" scene where the characters are wowed by the fact that there are dinos walking around, but after that the films seem to go out of the way to show that every dinosaur these people come across is going to try to kill them. Even when they come across the dinosaur equivalents of elephants, ostriches or giraffes, the dinos will try to kill them. Sometimes it makes sense - the gallimimus stampede from the first film I get. But other times, it really doesn't. Why would a huge flock of fish eating pteranodons feel the need to attack a group of humans? Why would a newly-released triceratops stick around to rampage through a human camp instead of just running into the woods? Why would a giant spinosaur with an island full of food take the time to casually stalk a group of barely snack-sized people? Why would a group of tiny scavenger compys attack a healthy full-grown man carrying a machine gun for no good reason? I get the monster movie feel and the excitement of these scenes, but I preferred the first film's slightly more nuanced approach where the dinos acted, for the most part, more realistically. I hope the longer play time of a videogame will allow Telltale to include a larger variety of interactions with dinos, instead of just "this thing wants to kill you" all the time.

Well the second movie in my opinion treated them like animals too, and they did show a lot of animalistic behavior. Why the Stegosaurs attacked sarah, was because they saw her as a predator.

The Tyranosaurs were the same.

The Compies attacking dieter, was a little bit of vengence for when he shocked one for sniffing his boot.

The Trike, well you'd be pissy too, if you were man handled and stuck in a cage.

JP III Basically repeats the same as TLW except for the Spino, and the Pointless Rex fight.

The Pteranodons, were protecting their territory and the Raptors saw the humans as theives.
  • edited September 2010
    I've watched all three movies, didn't like the second and really hated the third. It was just one stupid dinosaur chasing scene after the other. And it was so predictable. I remember seeing Sam Neill pick up that Raptor bone flute thingy and immediately knowing what would happen in the end. Really bad writing.

The first one is still one of my favourite movies though. It had really strong themes like the hybris of man, unpredictability and uncontrollability of nature, one old man's dream gone horribly wrong... And still had good action. So I really hope TTG are going to build on that.
  • edited September 2010
    Sam Neil is more likely than Jeff Goldblum seeing how he's in Law and Order now.

Although i hope he's able to have at least a cameo because Jeff Goldblum is awesome.
    Jeff Goldblum is actually leaving Law and Order now! So if they do start making JP4, he might be able to be in it! :D
  • edited September 2010
    whatever the game will be, they should base it off the book, thats where the good stuff is. the movies were alright but the book was fantastic.
  • edited January 2011
    As long as they stick to the first one for incentive, they shall not fail. If any peculiar notes are taken from the sequels, it should strictly be from the novels IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    For the record, Gallimimus is an improper term, it's actually referred to as Ornithomimidae as Gregory S. Paul Suggests.
  • edited January 2011
    * Even if we like or not, there should be kids on the story. For better or worse, the "kids-on-danger" factor is a trademark of the Jurassic Park franchise.
    Looking at the "Jess" concept art, it seems I was right!!
  • edited January 2011
    Drevial wrote: »
    As long as they stick to the first one for incentive, they shall not fail. If any peculiar notes are taken from the sequels, it should strictly be from the novels IMO.

Telltale have the rights to the movies only, not the books.
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    They don't, really-- we have the rights to the films, and the canon of the films. We don't have rights to aspects of the book that were not in the films.

One small example of this-- we have to consider the fates of characters in the movies-- Spoiler (though, I think the statue of limitations has passed)
    for instance, John Hammond and Malcom survived the events of Jurassic Park, as presented in the film, but not in the book.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.