Telltale's Jurassic Park and Ideas for A True JP RPG

edited November 2010 in Jurassic Park
What does Telltale Games have in store for us with the release of its new take on JP gaming? I hope like I believe many others will that it is not anything cartoony, or off-beat like many of the knock off games that have been released since the JP phenomenon really kicked off after the release of the first movie. What is it that really needs to be done to Revamp the franchise and is it even something Telltale has the ability to pull off?

Many JP games have fallen short of fans expectations, my only accepted ones being the Genesis games, the pinball machine JP, and Lost world for playstation. Trespasser was by far its own entity with a game engine before its time, and a plot loosely based on JP. It was a great experience for those of us who actually had a computer powerful enough to keep up with the game, but was virtually unplayable for anyone else.

I feel that a great JP game must bring us back to the setting for the first film but let's make it 10 yrs down the road. An open world RPG that makes us feel like we are a part of the adventure, and that we can explore anything on the island(C'mon you know you want to!) A plot that leads us to iconic Images from the film( a Torn up rex paddock with goat stake and dangling chain, A rusted overgrown JP touring Explorer laying at the bottom of the paddock and the other one still on the track doors still open, Nedri's I'll fated last resting place with his jeep canopy torn and mangled and his decayed skeletal remains scattered inside the overgrown rustbucket(a plastic nametag clipped to a torn and destroyed raincoat is all that identifies him) The Raptor Paddock Decayed and EMPTY, A destroyed Main Lodge lays antiqued by weather, time, and of course the Wildlife, A maintenance garage with JP touring Explorers that never hit the track and GP jeeps that never got to see the open terrain and to arrive at the Island you would HAVE TO land at the Heliport beside the waterfall)

This Idea really has so much potential to do the franchise justice, and there are many Ideas that could make it a great game. However this game can really only be what any of us expect if its done by a true fan with attention to detail for the movie, and the ability to take that detail and apply it to a game. I wish I had a say in it, I've had game ideas for years for JP.

Telltale may have a true project ahead of them and I hope they are up to the task, although I know they will not meet my expectations for what I have envisioned, I'm sure that they will spin an interesting adventure that all of us "must-play" but maybe won't be thrilled about afterwards.

If you have any plot ideas for games or ideas post em

My Idea envisions Tim Murphy 10 years down the road from his first adventure on the island. He inadvertently finds himself following in the footsteps of his 2nd cousin Peter Ludlow. He decides after overcoming his fear and frightful memories of the island, that its time InGen takes back what it owns once and for all.
My game would open with the word InGen and the sound of helicopter blades, the camera slowly zooms out to reveal the whole helicopter flying gracefully over the ocean(inside Tim Murphy talks to his pilot) the Pilot explains to Tim that he will not be touching down on this island as he's worked for the company 15 years and knows whats waiting there. Tim reluctantly accepts to "step off" at the Heliport. The Pilot then mumbles "There it is" as Tim slowly pulls himself alongside the passenger seat to take a look( camera zooms out to show helicopter approaching island and JP theme song fades in as credits float across the screen and we are teased by astounding views) The scene cuts to the heliport as the theme song ends and we see the helicopter drop low to the ground without touching down. Tim yells to the pilot "I'll be in touch" The Pilot responds "Good Luck Sir" and Tim Jumps off the helicopter falling the 5 ft or so to the ground(camera starts at feet and pans upward to reveal a much more manly, buff, Badass version of Tim Murphy) At this point you take control of the character for the first time and run through a brief tutorial on movement, gadget and weapon usage, and a few hints as to where you should go from here. The tutorial takes you through some gadgets such as your Laptop(To communicate with Field Experts and maybe some "Old friends") and a camera Which you can use to photograph the "Wildlife" in this open world RPG( a trophy would be awarded for certain photographs and an easter egg unlocked if you photograph all the species) Other tools would be found throughout the island at Arms Locker shed and the R and D building adjacent to the main lodge, where as you progress through the game certain special Gadgets will be unlocked) After this tutorial Your grandfather Vidlinks you on your Laptop and you use this tool for the first time to hear him tear you up for making a big mistake in going back to the Island and trying to do what Him and Ludlow failed to do. You of course are a hardened frightless version of Tim now, and hang up on him and Fully begin the game. Your overall goal being to visit the many power stations across the island and re-starting the Geo-thermal power grid so that your InGen team can actually have a chance to re-take the island(as they failed to do in Lost World on Site B) and as Tim you feel Its your responsibility to "go it alone " at first due to the loss of life in these endeavors in the past.

As you adventure across the Island in this open world RPG you encounter all for-mentioned icons, sights, & scenes. and are in constant contact with advisors and experts on your headset. You also receive messages or vidlinks from past stars of the franchise(Malcolm, Dr. Grant, Van Owen, Dr. Sattler, Dr Wu, Grandpa, and of course your Sister Lex who is nothing more than an earful when she manages to get a hold of you. Roland Tembo also makes an easter egg appearance on your laptop in your E-mail declining to be any part of this operation and re-stating his belief that InGen is the "company of death" You see the Aged park and explore it first hand on foot or by perhaps using vehicles found on the island that you can actually get started(Hint Hint)

Using the proper game engine for this game would be key to keep Tim's motion and the motion of the Dinosaurs Fluid and artistic.

My idea would be a darker version of the JP franchise and as the game is based on powering up this island again, It would be titled Jurassic Park: Dark

I have no idea who to send a script to and to tell you the truth I wouldn't trust anyone to do it justice if I wasn't there…..

Anyone got Plot ideas or versions of Games they have come up with It would be fun to hear what kind of stuff other people come up with, or if you want to add on to mine Im open to suggestions. My full plot is not available to this thread for obvious reasons, but i feel like I gave you enough of a taste to peak interest.

POST!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Um at this time Peter Ludlow is dead as the second film takes place 4 years after the first one. Try Lewis Dodgeson instead.
  • edited November 2010
    An open world RPG that makes us feel like we are a part of the adventure

I stopped reading after this.

Telltale shouldn't make open worlds/sandbox games. >.>
  • edited November 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    Um at this time Peter Ludlow is dead as the second film takes place 4 years after the first one. Try Lewis Dodgeson instead.

Unless you count the new Jurassic Park comic books. They take 10 years after the first film and Ludlow is still alive (although badly mangled and in a weel chair) and he's ploting aginst InGen and Tim because he went crazy in the head and blame InGen for what happened to him.
  • edited November 2010
    Uhhh, a great artist is born here!!! Good choice not to tell us more, I think anyone would instantly steal it and sell your genius plot for ten million dollars. :rolleyes:

Seriously, your plot idea reminds me of JP: Redemption and is kinda cliché (a badass version of Tim, lol.). The scenario would feel like the second or the third movie with all the decayed buildings, and we saw ENOUGH of that! Any true JP-Fan would want to visit and experience the first movie, and thats the only way to get drama and story in it, a man alone on an island wouldnt be cinematic enough, there wouldnt be enough other characters for a RPG. Oh, and Jurassic Park: Dark sounds like a gothic version of JP with vampire dinosaurs :D

Also, why does everybody think openworld and RPG is the ultimate game design, same thing in Bttf. It suits for some scenarios, but not for all and definetly neither for Jurassic Park nor for Bttf. Yeah it would be cool to explore the park as a visitor, but that would be an own project or maybe a side feature, but it wouldnt be a good game! Why? Because JP needs characters, certain and well designed situations with scripts, and thats something openworld games cannot do, the player would have too much control and the possibility to not experience a situation like the designer intended it, like a T-Rex outbreak or something. Also the island does not offer so many interesting locations to justify an openworld-RPG, telltale should concentrate on the important locations from the movie.

My only request on Telltale is to pay attention to all the details, use enough technology to get appropriate graphics, do the FIRST movie and create situations that are playable (some sort of third person stealth and survival elements) but yet reminding of the famous scenes from the movie like the raptor hunt in the kitchen ot the T-Rex outbreak etc...

And PLEASE use the original soundtrack, I dont know if there are license issues but I want the original tracks from the first film
  • edited November 2010
    I like your ideas, but there's something you should know, since it seems you're unfamiliar with Telltale.

Telltale specializes in point-and-click adventure games. Almost all of their games have been point-and-click adventures. The only exceptions have been Telltale Texas Hold 'Em and the upcoming Poker Night at the Inventory (both poker games), and Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (Professor Layton clone), and even those were designed with their Telltale Tool engine (which exists specifically for, well, point-and-click adventure games). Most of their games have also been episodic. Rather than release a large, full-length game, they prefer to release a series of small connected games within a short span of time (usually a new episode each month) that create a full game when seen as a whole.

Even if Telltale wanted to, they couldn't make Jurassic Park into a free-roaming sandbox game. They would need to either use a different engine that they're unaccustomed to, or alter the Telltale Tool to the point that it barely resembles its usual self.

That said, I believe an interview with a member of the Telltale Team (Dan Connors?) from a while back said Jurassic Park would be something of a departure from Telltale's standard formula, and the sneak peek of the Velociraptor model we saw at PAX had a realistic look. So while it might not be the intense action game you're picturing, I'm sure they're doing everything they can to make sure their Jurassic Park game is, well, a Jurassic Park game.

(Also, how come both of the upcoming Telltale/Universal games have all these people saying it should be a free-roaming sandbox? :confused: )
  • edited November 2010
    Unless you count the new Jurassic Park comic books. They take 10 years after the first film and Ludlow is still alive (although badly mangled and in a weel chair) and he's ploting aginst InGen and Tim because he went crazy in the head and blame InGen for what happened to him.

And one of them said Muldoon survived the raptor attack and discovered they were just playing and he lived on the island with the raptors.

I consider those non-cannon with the series.
  • edited November 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    And one of them said Muldoon survived the raptor attack and discovered they were just playing and he lived on the island with the raptors.

I consider those non-cannon with the series.

I do whole heartily agree that Muldoon survived, because well he is awesome, and living on the island with the raptors is kind of well dumb.
  • edited November 2010
    I like your ideas, but there's something you should know, since it seems you're unfamiliar with Telltale.

Telltale specializes in point-and-click adventure games. Almost all of their games have been point-and-click adventures. The only exceptions have been Telltale Texas Hold 'Em and the upcoming Poker Night at the Inventory (both poker games), and Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (Professor Layton clone), and even those were designed with their Telltale Tool engine (which exists specifically for, well, point-and-click adventure games). Most of their games have also been episodic. Rather than release a large, full-length game, they prefer to release a series of small connected games within a short span of time (usually a new episode each month) that create a full game when seen as a whole.

Even if Telltale wanted to, they couldn't make Jurassic Park into a free-roaming sandbox game. They would need to either use a different engine that they're unaccustomed to, or alter the Telltale Tool to the point that it barely resembles its usual self.

That said, I believe an interview with a member of the Telltale Team (Dan Connors?) from a while back said Jurassic Park would be something of a departure from Telltale's standard formula, and the sneak peek of the Velociraptor model we saw at PAX had a realistic look. So while it might not be the intense action game you're picturing, I'm sure they're doing everything they can to make sure their Jurassic Park game is, well, a Jurassic Park game.

(Also, how come both of the upcoming Telltale/Universal games have all these people saying it should be a free-roaming sandbox? :confused: )

They announced the Jurassic Park game wont be point and click adventure.
  • edited November 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »

Yes, it'll be a click and drag adventure :3
  • edited November 2010

Really? Do you think you could get me a source for that?
  • edited November 2010
    Really? Do you think you could get me a source for that?

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=399961#post399961
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    That doesn't confirm it won't be a point and click adventure.
    It insinuates that it will be different from the usual point and click games TellTale has done op to this point.

So there will still probably be point and click gameplay but with a lot of new gameplay elements thrown in. QTE events, 3rd person survival-horror game elements, timer that is running out.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    That doesn't confirm it won't be a point and click adventure.
    It insinuates that it will be different from the usual point and click games TellTale has done op to this point.

So there will still probably be point and click gameplay but with a lot of new gameplay elements thrown in. QTE events, 3rd person survival-horror game elements, timer that is running out.

That's just getting picky though. BadCompany 2 is technically a point and click since you're pointing at someone's head and clicking to fire. Unless I read that post entirely wrong, and if so, my bad.
  • edited November 2010
    If there were 3rd person survival-horror passages in the game, why would you use for the rest an old point & click interface??? You could do puzzles with third person gameplay too!

And when there only were QTE (hope not !!!!!!) and puzzles with a timer (would not be that much of a difference between telltales games so far), why would it not be a point&click-game?
  • edited November 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I do whole heartily agree that Muldoon survived, because well he is awesome, and living on the island with the raptors is kind of well dumb.

Well Muldoon surviving is cool but the fact that he goes from hating them so much to becoming their best friend just really sucks.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't think a buff, badass, well-equipped, and well-prepared protagonist would be very true to the franchise. The main character should be more of an everyman type who has to rely on wits and quick-thinking to survive.
  • edited November 2010
    The main character should be more of an everyman type who has to rely on grenades and an M60 to survive.

I agree.
  • edited November 2010
    I agree.

So, like Marlow from BadCompany?
    And I agree aswell.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't know...I like Jurassic park with out guns...and shooting...it's not an action movie series, it's about survival and how powerful nature really is.
  • edited November 2010
    it's about murdering innocent reptiles for no reason and how powerful automatic weaponry really is.

I agree. :p
  • edited November 2010
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    If there were 3rd person survival-horror passages in the game, why would you use for the rest an old point & click interface??? You could do puzzles with third person gameplay too!

I didn't mean the controls. I simply meant some elements that are familiar with that genre. Like for instance, very limited amount of shells/bandages.
    Or starting of with a melee weapon and gradually becoming equipped with stronger weapons. Maybe upgrades.
    Very hard to kill enemies. Most encounters only end up in slowing down the dinosaur rather than killing it.

I dunno. lol
  • edited November 2010
    I feel like Shoda knows something we don't.
  • edited November 2010
    No, no he doesn't.
  • edited November 2010
    I feel like Shoda knows something we don't.
    No, no he doesn't.

Or do I?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... no, no I don't. ... :(
  • edited November 2010
    I expected you to change it again to "yes he does".
  • edited November 2010
    I expected you to change it again to "yes he does".

I'm an unpredictable maniac. :p
  • edited November 2010
    But my second favorite one at that!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.