Play as Dinosaurs?

edited December 2010 in Jurassic Park
Will we be able to play as Dinosaurs in this game like the T-Rex?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Given how one of Telltale's biggest selling points in their games is the humorous dialogue, I don't think so.

"Rarrraarr raar!"
    "Raaaaaaaaaeeeeeeyargh!"
    "Skreeeeeeeeeee!"
  • edited November 2010
    Given how one of Telltale's biggest selling points in their games is the humorous dialogue, I don't think so.

"Rarrraarr raar!"
    "Raaaaaaaaaeeeeeeyargh!"
    "Skreeeeeeeeeee!"

I dont think that humorous dialogue will be the biggest selling point in their Jurassic Park-game. Its a more serious franchise with just a few fun moments.

But I also dont think there will be playable dinosaurs, wouldnt fit to the tension and drama!
  • edited November 2010
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    I dont think that humorous dialogue will be the biggest selling point in their Jurassic Park-game. Its a more serious franchise with just a few fun moments.

But I also dont think there will be playable dinosaurs, wouldnt fit to the tension and drama!

Probably not for a whole game, but I could actually see you playing as a dino running from humans, hearing snippets of their conversation, while fleeing both misunderstanding tourists AND the carnivorous dinos.
  • edited November 2010
    Probably not for a whole game, but I could actually see you playing as a dino running from humans, hearing snippets of their conversation, while fleeing both misunderstanding tourists AND the carnivorous dinos.

No, its just anticlimatic, would be a complete break with the human based story and kinda stupid also!
  • edited November 2010
    Not if it was done right. For example, playing as a Raptor in a stealth-based level would be really cool. Instead of just killing everything on your way, you would have to be extremely careful with every step you take and when it's the right time... Strike.

However, I doubt they will make it for this particular game. It would be a very interesting idea for a dinosaur game. It's curious that it hasn't been done before, in a complex way I mean.
  • edited November 2010
    It would be interesting indeed, but for this game it wouldnt make any sense, like you said!
  • edited November 2010
    There was one game where you played as animals with an outside human storyline. Can't remember the name of the game but you played as either a spider or a scorpian and there were humans in the background that told an unfolding story.

It got good reviews just not many people played it. I think it was called Deadly Creatures or something like that.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't think I would want to spend the majority of the game playing as a species that has to spend over an hour laying one big pile of shit.
    I'm kidding
  • edited November 2010
    Well in the Lost World Jurassic Park game for PS1 and Sega Saturn you could play as Dinos and Humans they had Compy,Raptor and the T-Rex. Then for Humans you could be The Hunter then Sara.
  • edited November 2010
    There was one game where you played as animals with an outside human storyline. Can't remember the name of the game but you played as either a spider or a scorpian and there were humans in the background that told an unfolding story.

It got good reviews just not many people played it. I think it was called Deadly Creatures or something like that.

That's the one. It'd be kinda hard to do with JP though. Deadly Creatures was small critters that were affected by their environment. JP would be, in that instance, more about big critters that affect their environment.
  • edited November 2010
    The dinosaurs are just as afraid of you as you are of them, you could spend most of your time running away from the humans.
  • edited November 2010
    No, its just anticlimatic, would be a complete break with the human based story and kinda stupid also!

That was the best part about the previous JP games. Being the humans was boring and stupid. Being the dinos was the most fun I'd ever had.
  • edited November 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    That was the best part about the previous JP games. Being the humans was boring and stupid. Being the dinos was the most fun I'd ever had.

Then you're simply not a fan!
  • edited November 2010
    But the thing is that Telltale's biggest selling point is their dialogue, plain and simple. Jurassic Park probably won't be as comedy-oriented as Sam and Max, but dialogue will still be a big focus. You want to hear what all the characters have to say, and since the playable character is the one you'll spend the most time around, you especially have to make sure he (or she) is interesting.

Sam has fun things to say. Strong Bad has fun things to say. Wallace has fun things to say. Guybrush Threepwood has fun things to say. Marty McFly has fun things to say. A Velociraptor...not so much.

The only way I can possibly even conceive it working is if there's another character around the dino at all times to fill in the dialogue void left by playing as a silent character. And I have a hard time thinking of somebody staying around a dinosaur so long without being eaten. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Then you're simply not a fan!

I'm a fan of Dinos and the movies. Playing as humans in a game is boring for me, especially when Dinos are an option.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm a fan of Dinos and the movies. Playing as humans in a game is boring for me, especially when Dinos are an option.

Then that really limits the amount of games you enjoy. lol
  • edited November 2010
    No, I just enjoy non-humans especially when there's a choice (or should be) for others. Like WarHammer? I play rat people and Or(c/k)s. Mario party based games, usually DK, Yoshi, or Luigi[he's too awesome]. In Disgea my field was mostly Prinnys. All I said is I find them boring, I'm not going to play a game just because it's humans only. HL was good. It would've been bad as an alien because that makes no sense. JP as a Dino makes sense as previous games in the past have done it, and they were always the best parts.
  • edited November 2010
    No, I just enjoy non-humans especially when there's a choice (or should be) for others. Like WarHammer? I play rat people and Or(c/k)s. Mario party based games, usually DK, Yoshi, or Luigi[he's too awesome]. In Disgea my field was mostly Prinnys. All I said is I find them boring, I'm not going to play a game just because it's humans only. HL was good. It would've been bad as an alien because that makes no sense. JP as a Dino makes sense as previous games in the past have done it, and they were always the best parts.

Previous games were simple sidescrollers without story, playing them as humans or dinos is not that of a difference. This is game will be story based and more complex with heavy focus on atmosphere of tension and fear. Playing that as a dino just dont make sense, its a complete other feel and it wouldnt have story or dialogue (listening to humans here and there dont count). So no, there wont be playable dinosaurs in it. But it would be a good idea for an other game!
  • edited November 2010
    Except, you know, you can just do a subtitled game as the dinos? Because in the movies they mentioned the dinos communicating with each other. And it doesn't have to be a full blown out game or anything like that. Just playing as the dinos as a bonus mission or something like that is all I'm saying. Flat out denying the rights of dinos for "story" purposes is pretty stupid, in my oppinion. Also, who says this game will be fear based? Last I hear nothing was announced on this game. For all we know it could be a side scroller where you're Ronald McDonald looking for the Fry Children on the island and Grimmace went crazy from the Hambugler's mind tricks and is now riding some velociraptors trying to capture Ronald so the Hambugler can get Ronald's recipe. With brightly colored and over excentric backgrounds and such.
    Also Ronald McDonald's only weapon is a rainbow colored glow stick in which he must cause the dinos to get into a trance and have them dance themselves untill they're too tired to be a wake and moonwalk past them.
  • edited December 2010
    Except, you know, you can just do a subtitled game as the dinos? Because in the movies they mentioned the dinos communicating with each other. And it doesn't have to be a full blown out game or anything like that. Just playing as the dinos as a bonus mission or something like that is all I'm saying. Flat out denying the rights of dinos for "story" purposes is pretty stupid, in my oppinion. Also, who says this game will be fear based? Last I hear nothing was announced on this game. For all we know it could be a side scroller where you're Ronald McDonald looking for the Fry Children on the island and Grimmace went crazy from the Hambugler's mind tricks and is now riding some velociraptors trying to capture Ronald so the Hambugler can get Ronald's recipe. With brightly colored and over excentric backgrounds and such.
    Also Ronald McDonald's only weapon is a rainbow colored glow stick in which he must cause the dinos to get into a trance and have them dance themselves untill they're too tired to be a wake and moonwalk past them.

Uhmm, no? Jurassic park is nothing but survival, what else should it be? They already said there will be tension elements. Tension + dinos = fear!
  • edited December 2010
    No, other then the game being slower nothing has been confirmed. Just because it's JP doesn't mean it has to be serious, tension, and fear. None of the past ones were. Hell there was a Theme Park Sim. How serious, fearful, and tense is that? It's all upto the people who made it. My point with that post was that nothing is 100%. That the dinos don't have to be out of the option, as I stated, it could be Mcdonalds base. And anygame can have tense moments too. You know how tensed I was when playing the Lion King game, or when playing AH! Real Monsters!. And dinos don't have to be fearful either, that's just prejudice.
  • edited December 2010
    Having the dinosaurs speak to each other with subtitles would probably ruin whatever seriousness this game is supposed to have for me.

It'd remind me of that one Godzilla movie where Godzilla is suddenly able to talk out of nowhere. :confused:
  • edited December 2010
    Well, I'm going off what they said inthe movies of how the dinos speak to each other. Hell even then you can have just a basic one where you work with your clan and try to hunt down the humans and survive from bigger dinos. If your clan gets attacked you try to defend them. That's something that every animal with a clan does in the wild.
  • edited December 2010
    I think it would be awesome if you could play a section as dinosaurs, I'm more interested in getting a solid story with characters but playing as a velociraptor or T-Rex could be a lot of fun.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm more fond of my Ronald McDonald idea now.
  • edited December 2010
    lilbase wrote: »
    Will we be able to play as Dinosaurs in this game like the T-Rex?

Like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Omp2kyQn0
  • edited December 2010
    jannar85 wrote: »

Man...that show freaked me out as a kid! Thanks so much for bringing back the nightmare inducing memories! ;)
  • edited December 2010
    NOT THE MAMA!
    I loved that show.
    Such a sad ending though.
  • edited December 2010
    This should be a Jurassic Park sandbox game...

Either that or like Alien vs Predator where you can pick if you want to be an alien and a predator but in this case a human or a dino..

Will Mr DNA be in this? Maybe we should get to play as him!!!1!!

Lulz
  • edited December 2010
    this thread reminds me how awesome I thought the playstation Lost world game was when I was 16..... I was wrong... it wasnt that great... I like being afraid of the dinos.... its more entertaining than BEING the dinos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i-0wa4fpAQ&feature=related
  • edited December 2010
    Are you kidding! That game is still awesome!
  • edited December 2010
    ...... I should re-read the books.
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    ...... I should re-read the books.

I'm re reading the original right now, I can't believe the book is 20 years old...
  • edited December 2010
    I know.... Crichton is and was one of my all time favorite authors.... Its sad that there will be no more new Crichton books.... I would always buy his books without even having to read what they were about.
  • edited December 2010
    I own all his books. You should check out Pirate Latitudes. It was a novel they found on Chrichtons computer after he passed and then they released it. It's really good.

I heard they're also looking into seeing if they can find more unpublished work. I know he was working on one that he did not finish. I forgot who, but they hired someone to finish writing it.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh yeah I have it... I own them all too.... I really liked PL but you could tell its not something he was finished with... it was not nearly as flawless as his properly released books.
  • edited December 2010
    I got that feeling too. I was thinking it was probably just the first draft and that he was going to add a bit more to it later
Sign in to comment in this discussion.