It should be sandbox.

edited February 2011 in Jurassic Park
Its going to be way to linear to be Jurassic Park like. The whole thing of Jurassic Park is free form dino's and can come from anywhere at any time. I LOVE that there's a new attempt at Jurassic Park. And massive respect for that, BUT beleive me it will be your biggest downfall if its soooo story based.
Like the very good Ghost Busters game. Only good for 1 or 2 times.

PLEEEEASE maybe take a look at the Grand Theft Auto and Hakuna Matata Games.
They have a great balance of freeform and story. :o

Comments

• edited January 2011
    So it begins. Let's just get it all out of the way.:P

Telltale has dropped incredibly vague hints that the gameplay in Jurassic Park may be something different than their usual style. Still, given episode space limitations, it's unlikely to be completely freeroam. And sorry, but a focus on story is almost guaranteed; this is TellTALE Games. ;)
  • edited January 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    So it begins. Let's just get it all out of the way.:P

Telltale has dropped incredibly vague hints that the gameplay in Jurassic Park may be something different than their usual style. Still, given episode space limitations, it's unlikely to be completely freeroam. And sorry, but a focus on story is almost guaranteed; this is TellTALE Games. ;)

exactly... I mean they have the chance to do what no1 ever has, And make the WORLD FAMOUS Jurassic Park a mega major thing in game form.

I understand Telltale whole thing, But why do they have to limit themselves to just keeping it as episodes and short little 1 off things. I really think they waste a MASSIVE part of their awesome potential by doing this.
  • edited January 2011
    If Universal wanted a free roaming dino shooter then they would have went to someone else, like rockstar, to make the game. But if you look at the history of Jurassic Park games that approach has been taken and failed several times. Sure, Jurassic Park fans like us enjoyed them just fine but it was because we are Jurassic Park fans. Regular gamers didn't enjoy them at all.

That's why I'm glad with the direction that telltale is going. It's going with something different that other Jurassic Park games haven't done before. From the look of things it won't be free roaming and there won't be a lot of shoot em' up moments involving dinosaurs. But what I believe we will get is a strong focus on story and a gameplay style closer to Heavy Rain. These are huge pluses in my book.

I don't think they're wasting potential. I think they're embracing potential that others never chose to take.
  • edited January 2011
    exactly... I mean they have the chance to do what no1 ever has, And make the WORLD FAMOUS Jurassic Park a mega major thing in game form.

I understand Telltale whole thing, But why do they have to limit themselves to just keeping it as episodes and short little 1 off things. I really think they waste a MASSIVE part of their awesome potential by doing this.
    They do it so that you can play it as each part is completed, rather than make you wait the year plus that usually comes (testing, bug fixing, etc) with games released all at once.
  • edited January 2011

I don't think they're wasting potential. I think they're embracing potential that others never chose to take.

I concur.
  • edited January 2011
    Do something no one has done before and make it like Grand Theft Auto?
  • edited January 2011
    Im talking spesifically for jurassic park. Don't make it a shooter.
    But have some form of freeroam otherwise how can it really be a Jurassic park experience if you know whats going to happen all the time.
    Sure have story in it but have some free roam. No they can't because they prefere to take the short episode approach(nothing wrong with that) but in my view it wastes how big they actually could make it.

But hay i guess if people want predictable game play for an hour or so (i say that because the first Back to the Future Episode took about an hour or so) then i guess thats fine.

I just don't think its very different from what we already have and none of them really feel Jurassic Park like eitha. (Operation Genesis is different and captured Jurassic park the best it could).
  • edited January 2011
    otherwise how can it really be a Jurassic park experience if you know whats going to happen all the time.

But hay i guess if people want predictable game play for an hour or so (i say that because the first Back to the Future Episode took about an hour or so) then i guess thats fine.

Jurassic Park presents a story in which I (now) know exactly what's going to happen for the next two hours and I enjoy it just fine. :)

If Telltale can present an experience that's anything like watching the movies, they'll have a real winner in my book.
  • edited January 2011

I understand the whole cheese thing. But why do cheesemakers have to limit themselves to just keeping it as cheese and small little biscuits for the cheese to go on? I really think they waste a MASSIVE part of their awesome potential by failing to make a cheese-themed Grand Theft Auto knock-off, where I can drive cheesemobiles round cheeseboards completely free to choose whether I go to the left or the top or the right or the bottom of the cheeseboard. Dammit, why should I go to the trouble of eating cheese when the makers are morally obliged to create *virtual* cheese for me?! Not to mention this business of only giving the cheeseknife to console users.
  • edited January 2011
    I understand the whole cheese thing. But why do cheesemakers have to limit themselves to just keeping it as cheese and small little biscuits for the cheese to go on? I really think they waste a MASSIVE part of their awesome potential by failing to make a cheese-themed Grand Theft Auto knock-off, where I can drive cheesemobiles round cheeseboards completely free to choose whether I go to the left or the top or the right or the bottom of the cheeseboard. Dammit, why should I go to the trouble of eating cheese when the makers are morally obliged to create *virtual* cheese for me?! Not to mention this business of only giving the cheeseknife to console users.

HUH? Im not a fan of GTA, Im using it as an example. Jeez. And im talking Jurassic Park here man.

But if it delivers it delivers. Hay goodluck with the cheese biscuite thing.
  • edited January 2011

I don't understand what you're getting at. Just because a game isn't sandbox doesn't make it predictable. It's not like you're going to know whats going to happen around every corner. Are you talking about playing again after beating it? If so then I don't think that's a fare judgement.

I mean, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Sold 4 were all basicly linear games. But that doesn't make them any less fun when you go back and play them again.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't understand what you're getting at. Just because a game isn't sandbox doesn't make it predictable. It's not like you're going to know whats going to happen around every corner. Are you talking about playing again after beating it? If so then I don't think that's a fare judgement.

I mean, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Sold 4 were all basicly linear games. But that doesn't make them any less fun when you go back and play them again.

Yeah thats a very very good point.

However i have just a few points on that bud.

1 They are alot longer than what an episode based game can offer.
    2 They aint based on an already well known thing. Jurassic Park is mainly about the roaming Dinos.
    3 There are already story based JP games and didn't fair to well.

Don't get me wrong PLEEEASE, I am very hyped for it, I just think that they have something very special in having the Universal Licence so boy i think they should make the most of it.

They probabily will, Hay they know alot more than me, It's just my opinion and tbh i'm shocked i'm the only one that thinks this way. Oh well lol.:o
  • edited January 2011
    Another kiddie who thinks Sandbox is the ultimate game design :rolleyes:

Jurassic Park is about dinosaurs, not necessariliy about free-roaming dinosaurs. And I think the human part plays a big role too. Sandbox-Games cannot deliver tension and drama as good as a more guided linear game.

And there have been only ONE story-based Jurassic Park game called Trespasser wich didnt even based on the first film, and most of us enjoyed that game
  • edited January 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Another kiddie who thinks Sandbox is the ultimate game design :rolleyes:

Jurassic Park is about dinosaurs, not necessariliy about free-roaming dinosaurs. And I think the human part plays a big role too. Sandbox-Games cannot deliver tension and drama as good as a more guided linear game.

And there have been only ONE story-based Jurassic Park game called Trespasser wich didnt even based on the first film, and most of us enjoyed that game

Why you got to be so Lame about it?

I DID NOT SAY SANDBOX ONLY DID I?

A blend of both thank you, READ BEFORE YOU POST.
  • edited January 2011
    Not sure why you are all taking me wrong or jumping down my throat. Not really any need for it.

Anyway it seems that its going to be VERY much like the Ghost Busters game. A FANTASTIC game (waits for everybody to say it was rubbish) And it strictly followed a story. Great but many many people resold it because it was only good for 1 or 2 times. If it was KIND OF FreeformISH (Like GTA and Hakuna Matata) it would last a much longer time with A number of storys, Maybe triggered by something. Don't anyone agree? I see only good this way not bad.
  • edited January 2011
    sandbox_lrg.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    Hmm, feels like there's something missing there....

Ooh I know!

Here we go...

jpsandbox.png
  • edited January 2011
    HAHAHAHA...

Ok i get the picture... LOL
  • edited January 2011
    I understand what you're getting at. Yes, a freeroam Jurassic Park game where you can go anywhere on the island would be fun. But you're making it sound like the game has to be sandbox in order for it to be enjoyable which isn't true.

Edit: LOL at the sandbox picture.
  • edited January 2011
    I understand what you're getting at. Yes, a freeroam Jurassic Park game where you can go anywhere on the island would be fun. But you're making it sound like the game has to be sandbox in order for it to be enjoyable which isn't true.

Edit: LOL at the sandbox picture.

Am i?

Oh well beleive me thats not my intesion. You are completly right, It isn't true, However a blend of both i feel would be the best to maximize the JP feel ya know.
  • edited January 2011
    HUH? Im not a fan of GTA, Im using it as an example. Jeez. .

Yes, but you are criticising Telltale (or the cheesemakers) for only making Telltale-style games (or cheese). If you want a different kind of video game, like other video game producers make, ask other video game producers.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, but you are criticising Telltale (or the cheesemakers) for only making Telltale-style games (or cheese). If you want a different kind of video game, like other video game producers make, ask other video game producers.

I'm not criticising, Just advising and putting things out there like we all do to get a great game.

I see what you mean, However it is Telltale (Or the Cheese makers LOL) with the Universal Licence not any other game proucers.

Its only suggestions thats all. :o
  • edited January 2011
    Anyway it seems that its going to be VERY much like the Ghost Busters game. A FANTASTIC game (waits for everybody to say it was rubbish) And it strictly followed a story. Great but many many people resold it because it was only good for 1 or 2 times. If it was KIND OF FreeformISH (Like GTA and Hakuna Matata) it would last a much longer time with A number of storys, Maybe triggered by something. Don't anyone agree? I see only good this way not bad.

You heard it telltale and all the other developers out there: NEVER make a linear game that follows a story like all that stupid movies and books out there, because you cant play it 100 hours then wich wouldnt be worth the 20 bucks!

@ the probably 12 year old hyperactive Hyper-Trance, who is saying that Sandbox is the only way to make good games and dont even recognise it:

If GTA is KIND OF FREEFORMISH, than what is real freeformish?
    And why do you think a game is only good when it has maximum replayability, when a game is good for 1 or 2 times, isnt that enough? A game dont have to last long to be good, it has to offer the best experience possible, and no, Sandbox isnt magic gamedesign, theres no blend of both linear and freeroam because its the opposite and mixing is stupid. Story, drama and horror are best presented in linear games with carefully designed moments. You can make big levels or one big Level whre you can choose between several linear storys by going in different directions, but what would be the point of that?

And Isla Nublar dont offer enough places and variety to make a full blown Sandbox-Game, not many people to meet, no mini-Games, no shops. Only old compounds and dinosaurs. When you only want to photograph dinosaurs like in Hakuna Matata, play Operation Genesis, there you have your free roaming dinos!
  • edited January 2011
    Not sure why you are all taking me wrong or jumping down my throat. Not really any need for it.

Don't take it personally. The BTTF game forum has been overrun for MONTHS with people who wanted the game to be a freeroam DeLorean driving game. So if anyone's snapping at you, it's because seeing a freeroam request for JP as well is just the straw that broke the camel's back.
  • edited January 2011
    What's with all the "sand box" wishing for EVERY game? Next peope will want Fifa to be free roam sand box. Oh hey, let's get Wayne Rooney to steal the team coach and get the entire team from Manchester to Newcastle.Could even pick a hooker or 2 up on the way... :confused:
  • edited January 2011
    What's with all the "sand box" wishing for EVERY game? Next peope will want Fifa to be free roam sand box. Oh hey, let's get Wayne Rooney to steal the team coach and get the entire team from Manchester to Newcastle.Could even pick a hooker or 2 up on the way... :confused:

I want Fifa to be nonexistent. Does that count?
  • edited January 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Don't take it personally. The BTTF game forum has been overrun for MONTHS with people who wanted the game to be a freeroam DeLorean driving game.

Ok, I have the solution. People want a free-roaming, vehicle filled game with time travel and dinosaurs?

Dino Riders. Hits all the bases!
  • edited January 2011
    @ Sadonicus you need to grow up mate. Your making up alot of what i did not say so get your facts straight.

@ Others.. I'm not saying it should be freeform, Im saying Jurassic park should have a freeform element to it. Its my personal opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

Other people asking for other games to be freeform ain't going on about Jurassic Park.
    I am NOT saying "MAKE IT FREEFORM ITS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT FUN"

Its Jurassic Park... PARK... Roaming Dino's... Unpredictable, I only suggested it should have some kind of freeform to it. Not just fun for 1-2 times only. That all.

I suggest, You suggest,,thats how we get great games... Telltale defo have the potential to make a great JP game so fingers crossed eitha way hay? :)
  • edited January 2011
    @ Sisypus you need to grow up mate. Your making up alot of what i did not say so get your facts straight.

My post had nothing to do with you, nor did I quote you.
  • edited January 2011
    It should be more like PONG
  • edited January 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    My post had nothing to do with you, nor did I quote you.

Sorry i ment Sadonicus sorry
  • edited January 2011
    Pong was an amazing game. I wish they made more like it. The amount of freedom in that game is just insane. :P
  • edited January 2011
    Freeform element?! What freeform element do you mean? A Game is either linear or Sandbox, what thing between do you think should it be? And Sandbox isnt unpredictble, after some time even a sandox game gets repetitive. I think you have just vague ideas and dont know yourself what you are talking about.
  • edited January 2011
    I think he means something along the lines of Batman: Arkham Asylum. That game was linear but at the same time you could walk around the asylum as you please assuming that you had unlocked the areas... wait.... hmmm...
  • edited January 2011
    Its going to be way to linear to be Jurassic Park like. The whole thing of Jurassic Park is free form dino's and can come from anywhere at any time. I LOVE that there's a new attempt at Jurassic Park. And massive respect for that, BUT beleive me it will be your biggest downfall if its soooo story based.
    Like the very good Ghost Busters game. Only good for 1 or 2 times.

PLEEEEASE maybe take a look at the Grand Theft Auto and Hakuna Matata Games.
    They have a great balance of freeform and story. :o

And think their goal is to make a Jurassic Park game with an engaging story, like the movies, which is something past Jurassic Park games failed to do and why Universal Studios has approached TellTale Games for this project. As awesome as random Dinosaur fights would be, I believe it was mentioned that Universal Studios said that they didn't want another dinosaur shooter but instead something that was character driven like the movies. Good idea though, but I'm more interested in what TellTale has planned. Maybe that can be a different game in the future, as well as a highly anticipated Ghostbusters sequel that I have to admit would be great to incorporate some sandbox on the side when not engaging in the main story mode (AKA random calls for random jobs and random ghosts for re-playability). But I'm not sure how that would work in an adventure game.
  • edited January 2011
    jweir wrote: »
    They do it so that you can play it as each part is completed, rather than make you wait the year plus that usually comes (testing, bug fixing, etc) with games released all at once.

I have to admit that I'd rather wait until the bugs were out. Most TT games are bug free enough, but Back to the Future Episode 1 is a major pain. I'm lucky if it ever even loads when I click on it.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah thats a very very good point.

However i have just a few points on that bud.

1 They are alot longer than what an episode based game can offer.
    2 They aint based on an already well known thing. Jurassic Park is mainly about the roaming Dinos.
    3 There are already story based JP games and didn't fair to well.

Don't get me wrong PLEEEASE, I am very hyped for it, I just think that they have something very special in having the Universal Licence so boy i think they should make the most of it.

They probabily will, Hay they know alot more than me, It's just my opinion and tbh i'm shocked i'm the only one that thinks this way. Oh well lol.:o

Actually, Universal Studios claims Jurassic Park is mainly about drawing us in to care about the human beings who's characters have been developing on screen "before even one dinosaur comes out of the brush." I think this argument isn't about what Jurassic Park is or isn't, but just that your taste in games is different than what your presumptions tell you that TellTale will be able to provide. But if you give the TellTale JP game a chance when it comes out, I'm sure you'll agree it's very well made even if it doesn't suit your tastes.

I think one reason why past Jurassic Park story based games have failed is because the companies behind them did a subpar job. I have been extremely impressed by TellTale's work and feel that they are one of the better game developers in today's market - or at least among the games I usually play, which are crappy, inconsistent, pay little attention to the source material, have horrible voice acting, feel like there was no love involved in making it unless you count the love for more money, and otherwise leave a bad taste in my mouth. I feel TellTale puts a higher level of professionalism and love for the source material into their games than that.

Check out the new so-called sequel to Ghostbusters the Video Game, "Sanctum of Slime." This is a game that's already making me sad. It already feels like just another quick game made only for money that pays little to no respect for its source material (not even the last game), which was quickly put together on a low budget. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see. I am sure that the game is looking like it will be fun, however, which is what many games are. But the best part of what TellTale is promising us is that it will be both fun - and high quality - gaming, instead of the quick "junk food" we're used to that tastes good but leaves our stomachs churning with the promises of future flatulence.
  • edited January 2011

Sorry, man, not sure if I did the same or not, but just stating some friendly opinions. I have to admit, if they did it right I'd love to see the Ghostbuster game you dream of. I want to roam New York on foot and driving the Ecto any time I'd like. I'd like random ghost encounters in a non-story free roam of the city, but at the same time I'd love random calls coming in to the firehouse about random missions that are only linear when it comes to difficulty level based on your current place in the over all main story or current tech upgrades. But the sad thing is that I don't think we'll ever see another good Ghostbuster game again. You seen Sanctum of Slime yet? I feel that it could be fun but is only cashing in on the success of the first game. Which is fine, but not if we never see a true sequel to Ghostbusters: The Video Game. I kept the game, by the way, but only because I feel it's the closest we'll ever get to a true and truly good Ghostbusters 3 (the real GB3 movie has been green lit, by the way, but if it doesn't fall back into development hell I'm still not sure how good it'll turn out).

You're thoughts are quite valid and there is still lots of awesome potential for free roaming games based on properties like Jurassic Park. I'd love to play those games, but this game is simply a different type of animal. ;-)
  • edited January 2011
    Could even pick a hooker or 2 up on the way... :confused:

Hey keep rugby out of it! :D

But seriously, JP as sand box? JP is close to being the ultimate story why would anyone want to make it less than epic?
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry, man, not sure if I did the same or not, but just stating some friendly opinions. I have to admit, if they did it right I'd love to see the Ghostbuster game you dream of. I want to roam New York on foot and driving the Ecto any time I'd like. I'd like random ghost encounters in a non-story free roam of the city, but at the same time I'd love random calls coming in to the firehouse about random missions that are only linear when it comes to difficulty level based on your current place in the over all main story or current tech upgrades. But the sad thing is that I don't think we'll ever see another good Ghostbuster game again. You seen Sanctum of Slime yet? I feel that it could be fun but is only cashing in on the success of the first game. Which is fine, but not if we never see a true sequel to Ghostbusters: The Video Game. I kept the game, by the way, but only because I feel it's the closest we'll ever get to a true and truly good Ghostbusters 3 (the real GB3 movie has been green lit, by the way, but if it doesn't fall back into development hell I'm still not sure how good it'll turn out).

You're thoughts are quite valid and there is still lots of awesome potential for free roaming games based on properties like Jurassic Park. I'd love to play those games, but this game is simply a different type of animal. ;-)

Perfect. Yep i'l agree 100% with that. I can't wait.:)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.