Prehistoric resurrection/cloning 5 years away?

edited February 2011 in Jurassic Park
Though we're talking ice-age mammals;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/japansciencemammoth
Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years
by Shingo Ito Shingo Ito – Mon Jan 17, 5:44 am ET

TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Some mammoth remains still retain usable tissue samples, making it possible to recover cells for cloning, unlike dinosaurs, which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils...

Snuffy2.jpg

Can't wait to see how they explode when shot by a bazooka.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    sort of funny, it took 5 years for the dinosaurs to be created in the JP novel, no this. i believe it's very possible. they've already resurrected an extinct Ibex, although it didn't last very long.
  • edited January 2011
    I hope they make leather jackets from them.... and I hope I can buy one from Guybrush.
  • edited January 2011
    They're just gonna glue some yarn to an elephant.
  • edited January 2011
    I just hope they figure out now to clone dinosaurs within my lifetime. I can't wait to ride a brontosaurs to work.
  • edited January 2011
    My Apatosaurus > your Brontosaurus.
  • edited January 2011
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    I just hope they figure out now to clone dinosaurs within my lifetime. I can't wait to ride a brontosaurs to work.

They'll just glue some green felt to a dromedary. :D
  • edited January 2011
    jp-30 wrote: »
    My Apatosaurus > your Brontosaurus.

Is funny cause is same!

Seriously though, unless they can extract DNA from bones, we're not likely to see dinosaurs again except by reverse-genetic-engineering a bird.
  • edited January 2011

Ah yes, this was talked about in one of their DVDs too.
  • edited January 2011
    What DVDs?
  • edited January 2011
    One of the Discovery Channel dinosaur documentaries showed the discovery of the soft tissue in the bone.
  • edited January 2011
    Isn't cloning against the law? Or is that just human cloning?

Cause I know they cloned that sheep a while back but not sure if they banned it afterwards
  • edited January 2011
    Isn't cloning against the law? Or is that just human cloning?

Cause I know they cloned that sheep a while back but not sure if they banned it afterwards
    Cloning is not illegal in anyway but it is controversial becuase of it's morality.

that sheep you are talking about was the firs animal ever cloned but it was never banned.
  • edited January 2011
    which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils...

Well that's just plain wrong since Jack Horner and his colleagues have found protein, soft tissue, blood vessels.... Apparently not everyone do their research before they write an article.

Would be great if they found enough to reconstruct their DNA... and maybe build a park? ;)
  • edited January 2011
    That's the jist of the 2nd link I posted. Hasn't been replicated independently, as far as I know.
  • edited January 2011
    its pretty cool if it will be possible, of there will be problem, living requirements i doubt they are optimal today from back then.

But would be nice if we instead could learn to kill species today. its fun and all that we might be able to revive species. but how many spiecies to we kill each day because of polution, forresting, oil spils and what not :S
  • edited February 2011
    Well, if they do find bone cells, they could find a complete DNA Strand, and boom! No more mystery and Boom! Now Jurassic Park is real, though unfortunately if they do clone a dinosaur, it wouldn't last long in todays conditions.
  • edited February 2011
    Well that's just plain wrong since Jack Horner and his colleagues have found protein, soft tissue, blood vessels.... Apparently not everyone do their research before they write an article.

Would be great if they found enough to reconstruct their DNA... and maybe build a park? ;)
    Well if they do, I hope they are not as insane as Mr Hammond. Was it really such a bright idea to clone a T-Rex? lol
  • edited February 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Well if they do, I hope they are not as insane as Mr Hammond. Was it really such a bright idea to clone a T-Rex? lol

Yes what were the possibilities of a 40 foot long gigantic reptilian predator escaping from its padlock and rampaging on the island?
  • edited February 2011
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    Yes what were the possibilities of a 40 foot long gigantic reptilian predator escaping from its padlock and rampaging on the island?

If you listen to Ian Malcolm is was impossible for the 40 foot long gigantic reptilian predator not to escape from its padlock and rampage the island ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    If you listen to Ian Malcolm is was impossible for the 40 foot long gigantic reptilian predator not to escape from its padlock and rampage the island ;)

Speaking of paddock, I never understood how all of a sudden the T-Rex paddock has a pit hole.
  • edited February 2011
    Alexrd wrote: »
    Speaking of paddock, I never understood how all of a sudden the T-Rex paddock has a pit hole.

Check out this!
  • edited February 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »

T-Rex's are actually now thought to be wimpy scavengers and not predators, so it might not be a big deal.
  • edited February 2011
    Kinda amazing and scary if they could someday resurrect something that has been dead for what? 65 million years. even more is it morally right to resurrect creatures to have them live in cages. If they did something like the movie someday resurrect dinos and give them a huge island to live freely that would be beyond amazing. Its just kinda ironic that we might someday be able to revive them but how many animals species do we wipe out each day due to forresting.

Human race is strange indeed.
  • edited February 2011
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Kinda amazing and scary if they could someday resurrect something that has been dead for what? 65 million years. even more is it morally right to resurrect creatures to have them live in cages. If they did something like the movie someday resurrect dinos and give them a huge island to live freely that would be beyond amazing. Its just kinda ironic that we might someday be able to revive them but how many animals species do we wipe out each day due to forresting.

Human race is strange indeed.

"We were planning to conquer time's power over life, its power to extinguish and erase, it would change all our lives, as profoundly and irrevocably as the atomic bomb!"
    -John Parker Hammond during the memoirs throughout Jurassic Park: Trespasser
Sign in to comment in this discussion.