Jurassic Park 4

edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
What will it be about? We got two great directors once again. Spielberg and Johnson, and hopefully a better plot than most of JP 3 or dinosaur mercenaries!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Sorry, I know it's not really relevant but your name made me think; are we ever going to get an Evil Dead 4?! Bruce Campbell's no spring chicken anymore so I guess the clock's ticking but after watching Drag Me To Hell, I have faith that Sam Raimi could make it work.

As for Jurassic Park IV, as I had no idea if there were even any plans for a forth movie, I just took a little time to read up on the details. It sounds a bit like it's stuck in production hell, it also seems to me that Joe Johnston is far keener on the idea than Steven Spielberg (a bit like Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray with Ghostbusters 3). Who knows though, I'm sure that the studio would be up for it; after all it's a license to print money.
  • edited February 2011
    Yep, Sam and Ivan Raimi are writing the script as we speak, I think Raimi may be doing that Warcraft movie first though. Jurassic Park IV, yeah, they want to do a second trilogy, hopefully equal to the first movie in terms of how good they will be, finally no matter what, Ghostbusters 3 is most likely coming out in December 2012 :D
  • edited February 2011
    Ghostbusters 3 is most likely coming out in December 2012 :D

I was listening to Bill Murray on the Howard Stern show the other day (Howard comes across as a real jerk in the interview) and I'd say that there is actually a higher probability of the world ending December 2012 then there is to be a Ghostbusters 3, that is to say zero possibility.
  • edited February 2011
    If they were to make more Jurassic Park movies I would want them to get a diffrent director. Not that I don't like Spielberg and Johnson. Spielberg is one of my favorite directors and Johnson crafted a great action adventure Jurassic Park film but I think that a new director is needed in order to take Jurassic Park into a new direction.

I would want a new Jurassic Park film to go back to it's roots. There are still plently of story elements in the novels that were never used in the films. I'm surprised they used the story they did in JP3. There were other things they could have touched on from the novel (The DX virus, Dodgson going back for eggs, Levin wanting to study extinction, and many more) But instead they strayed even further from the novel and went off into full dino chases man mode.

Speaking of dino chases man. We need less of that. Not that I want less dinosaurs. I just want less chase scenes and more suspense scenes like "Raptors in the Kitchen". The raptors in the kitchen scene was very well done and we need more suspensefull scenes like this in Jurassic Park.

If I had to choose my dream director for a new Jurassic Park film that continues the series but brings it back to a more series and suspensfull tone I would choose either Christopher Nolan or Guillermo Del Toro.
  • edited February 2011
    Yep, Sam and Ivan Raimi are writing the script as we speak,

Where did you hear that?
    I think Raimi may be doing that Warcraft movie first though.

Raimi's next project is Oz: the Great and Powerful, scheduled for a 2013 release.
  • edited February 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

where did he hear that? im curious
  • edited February 2011
    Not that Wiki is always right. But this is what it says undered Future/Rumored projects

Future / Rumored projects
    Warcraft (TBA)
    Oz, The Great and Powerful (TBA)
    Earp: Saints and Sinners (TBA)
    The Given Day (TBA)
    Evil Dead 4 (TBA)
    The Shadow (TBA)

During Blizzcon 2010's Lore panel, Chris Metzen stated the creative team had recently met with Sam Raimi and, while the World of Warcraft movie was not next on Raimi's production schedule, it was still very much in development.
  • edited February 2011
    A quick search on google turned this up:
    Director Sam Raimi announced in 2009 that he was working on a script with his brother Ivan for Evil Dead IV, the long awaited forth installment to the classic horror franchise. While both Sam Raimi and the franchise's star Bruce Campbell have since confirmed that the script is in the works there have been no new details lately about the status of the project. We recently had the opportunity to speak with actor Ted Raimi, who appeared in all three previous films and is of course Sam's brother, while he was attending the 2nd Annual Streamy Awards in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, an event that recognizes excellence in global web television programming.

We asked the actor point blank if he thought that Evil Dead IV would actually ever get made or if the film is just a pipe dream for fans? "Well it might happen ... but then again ... it might not happen," answered the actor. "You know, it's really Sam's project, it's not my project so I certainly don't want to speak for him but I hope it does go through," continued Raimi. "I know a lot of fans would really love to see it. So that's a big deal for them." Raimi also starred alongside his longtime friend and Army Of Darkness co-star, Bruce Campbell, in the 2006 film My Name Is Bruce, which featured Campbell as a version of him self that is hired to protect a small town from demons. Rumors have since been circulating about a sequel, which was first going to be called My Name Is Still Bruce but was later changed to Bruce Vs. Frankenstein. Raimi confirmed that he would in fact be involved with the project and we asked the actor if the title change meant that the film was no longer going to be a direct sequel to My Name Is Bruce? "Yes and no. I don't want to say it is My Name Is Bruce 2 but it is a movie with Bruce Campbell in it," replied Raimi. "Maybe, it might be," he continued cryptically. "Am I being very clear? No? Good I'm glad!"

Evil Dead IV is in development.
  • edited February 2011
    I was not aware of the change, but we still should see Ghostbusters 3 within the next 2-4 years.
  • edited February 2011
    Not that Wiki is always right. But this is what it says undered Future/Rumored projects

Future / Rumored projects
    Warcraft (TBA)
    Oz, The Great and Powerful (TBA)
    Earp: Saints and Sinners (TBA)
    The Given Day (TBA)
    Evil Dead 4 (TBA)
    The Shadow (TBA)

During Blizzcon 2010's Lore panel, Chris Metzen stated the creative team had recently met with Sam Raimi and, while the World of Warcraft movie was not next on Raimi's production schedule, it was still very much in development.
    Darn... No JP4. Thats a shame. Oh by the way i defently agree with the less Dino chasing scenes and more suspence scenes... I also would like to see more natural Dino scenes like in TLW. Even though nothing really happened, that scene where the Baby Rex was pinned down crying out gave my chills. It was great. I got NO chills in JP3 except when Rex showed up.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't want to see a Jurassic Park 4. Period. Unless they completely retcon JP3.
  • edited February 2011
    I remember i read somewhere that Johnston had indeed confirmed the likeliness of JP IV more than once. Says one wiki that JPIV is up next after Captain America for him. CA is coming out this summer so hopefully JPIV will start developing soon. Also i remember reading somewhere else that Johnston confirmed that JPIV would be the start of a second JP Trilogy. So IV, V and VI are very likely.
  • edited February 2011
    Can anyone name a 4th film in a franchise that is actually a really good movie and also fits right in with the rest of the series? I'm really struggling here.

Indiana Jones 4... Computer generated pants

Star Wars: Episode 1... Bantha poo-do filled pants

Alien Resurrection... Ill-fitting pants

Hellraiser: Bloodline... Alan Smithee's pants

Has anyone got anymore examples?

Does anyone really want a JP4 after those cinematic horrors?!
  • edited February 2011
    Tremors 4 was better than 3.
  • edited February 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Tremors 4 was better than 3.

Isn't that a little like saying 'a kick to the teeth is better than a knee in the bollocks'?

The point I'm making is that the fourth and third films failed to live up to the original (and second in this case) movie(s). I'm talking about films that were doing fine (or at least okay) at the 3rd installment mark (as Jurassic Park is), only to let down any kind of legacy by releasing a stink bomb of a 4th movie.
  • edited February 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    Has anyone got anymore examples?

...batman & robin...

depending on your feelings toward batman forever I guess...

:)
  • edited February 2011
    Terminator Salvation, one of the worst films of 2009. (In fairness though, Terminator 3 was pretty bad too so it's not like it ruined the franchise.)
  • edited February 2011
    ...batman & robin...

depending on your feelings toward batman forever I guess...

Yeah, Batman Forever is hokey but it's not a awful movie. I might have once said it was far too camp but after been subjected to Batman & Robin, it may as well be Schindler's List by comparison.

Batman & Robin is easily within the worst 10 movies I've ever seen.

Ivy-Freeze-batman-and-robin-1997-18776722-360-287.jpg
    Quick, let's get to da choppa and bomb our agents house
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Terminator Salvation, one of the worst films of 2009. (In fairness though, Terminator 3 was pretty bad too so it's not like it ruined the franchise.)

Of course, good call. Much like Batman Forever, Terminator 3 was average at best but once again the dreaded fourth installment changed my perspective completely. Terminator Salvation represents everything that's wrong with Hollywood. It's a commercially orientated, target marketed, test screened to death, non-artistic piece of garbage. When I saw those Terminator Bikes I wanted to punch the screen, thinking about it; that was probably the best part of the whole sorry affair! At least it woke me up from my sleepy boredom with its sheer level of anger inducing frustration.

Then again, I don't know what exactly I was expecting to see from a film directed by a studio brown-noser called McG. Mc-f**king-G?! The director / producer of such classics as Gone With The Wind and The Seventh Seal. Sorry, that should read Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious. The only decent thing he has his name attached to is Supernatural and he didn't even have any real creative input on that.

10961675_gal.jpg
    'Sarah, we've got to change history. If we fail then the war in the future will be far worse than you could ever imagine. It'll be overseen by McG'!
  • edited February 2011
    Of course, good call. Much like Batman Forever, Terminator 3 was average at best but once again the dreaded fourth installment changed my perspective completely. Terminator Salvation represents everything that's wrong with Hollywood. It's a commercially orientated, target marketed, test screened to death, non-artistic piece of garbage.

When I saw those Terminator Bikes I wanted to punch the screen, thinking about it; that was probably the best part of the whole sorry affair! At least it woke me up with its sheer level of anger inducing frustration.

That is the perfect summation of why Terminator Salvation is so awful! For me the film completely lost me when John Connor, against orders, jumped out of a helicopter into the ocean and swam to the resistance's secret underwater submarine base. So edgy :rolleyes: (He had a radio right next to him :mad:)
  • edited February 2011
    Since I'm a Terminator fan I have to come in and defend the last two films. I agree that they are no where near as good as the first two but Terminator 3 was still a fun movie. I got a lot of laughs out of it and it had some neat action scenes. It was really nothing more than rehash of everthing the first movies did but with less story. And I was okay with that because for me the offical Cannon of the series ends with T2.

And I also really enjoyed Terminator Salvation. I didn't like that they had transformer like robots in it and I fet that the motorbike terminators were a bit much but I liked the story. And I thought it had a lot more heart than the third film. I liked how the new terminator was made to feel pain so it was more human. And I liked SkyNets plan to get John Conner to them. I thought that was clever. I also liked Arnolds (photoshoped) entrence into the movie. When I went go see it I had not read up on the movie so I was surprised and geeked out when I saw Arnold in there. And that whole last fight with the Terminator was epic.

Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much from these movies that I enjoyed them. But they are not as good as the first two obviously. Oh, and T2 is the best hands down.

As for Batman and Robin....outch. I don't mind Batman Forever. Aside from Two-Face trying to act too much like the Joker I like the movie. Batman and Robin though...no.... just no. Face Palm through the whole movie.
  • edited February 2011
    What will it be about? We got two great directors once again. Spielberg and Johnson, and hopefully a better plot than most of JP 3 or dinosaur mercenaries!

I believe it's dead, Jim. Spielberg usually loses interest in a film series after two or three installments:

JP - 3 films

Indy - 4 films, with a 19-year-break between the third and fourth, which only got made because George Lucas wore him down until he agreed to do it

Back to the Future - 3 films

Men in Black - 3 films, with a decade between 2 and 3

IE, he gets bored and wants to move on, as most creative people do. I don't blame him for wanting to find new stories to tell, but I DO blame people for their mistakes...I MEAN, for his insisting JP4 would happen for years, then not making it.

It's a far, far consolation prize, but he's returning to dinosaurs this summer with the awful-looking "Terra Nova"...

http://terranovable.com/
  • edited February 2011

I think Terra Nova looks good.
    I tend to like things others don't. lol
  • edited February 2011

Oh, I don't know. I know plenty of people who enjoyed Terminator Salvation, I secretly hate them but I do know them :p

Joking aside, I just watched the trailer for Terra Nova and I agree that it looked pretty cool to me. Not that there was much to see in a teaser trailer like that but I thought it came across as Jurassic Park meets LOST, which is okay in my book.

*Prepares to get blasted for slagging off many a movie and then admitting my love for LOST*
  • edited February 2011
    I love Lost too. Hands down my favorite TV show of all times. I was sad to see it go off the air. But at least there was a conclusion. It sucks when you get so invested into a show just for them to cancle it without doing a conclusion season.
  • edited February 2011
    I love Lost too. Hands down my favorite TV show of all times. I was sad to see it go off the air. But at least there was a conclusion. It sucks when you get so invested into a show just for them to cancle it without doing a conclusion season.

Tell me about, it just downright sucks when that happens. I must say though that I'm hoping that ABC will continue with LOST in a few years even though the previous chapter has been closed. I want to see what happens with Ben, Hurley and Walt on the Island, if you watched the 10 minute after season special then you'll know what I'm talking about ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I saw the whole Hurley, Ben, and Walt thing on the DVD release. I'm intrested in what that could lead to as well.

MY BAD!! SPOLIERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOLIER!!!!!! SPOLIER
    And I have to ask. What did you think of the Lost ending? I mean, am I the only one who thinks that they weren't dead the whole time? I know that they were dead when they were in the church in the last season. But everthing that happened on the island did indeed happen. It was after all they had died on the island after the crash when they entered that pergatory world where they were living a second life and re-discovering each other and not when the plane crashed. Or at least that's how I saw it. I guess it's really up to the viewer to decide that.
  • edited February 2011
    I saw the whole Hurley, Ben, and Walt thing on the DVD release. I'm intrested in what that could lead to as well.

And I have to ask. What did you think of the Lost ending? I mean, am I the only one who thinks that they weren't dead the whole time? I know that they were dead when they were in the church in the last season. But everthing that happened on the island did indeed happen. It was after all they had died on the island after the crash when they entered that pergatory world where they were living a second life and re-discovering each other and not when the plane crashed. Or at least that's how I saw it. I guess it's really up to the viewer to decide that.

You may want to add a spoiler notice to your post but I'll add my two cents...

SPOLIER WARNING [IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED LOST AND DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOLIT, THEN READ NO FURTHER... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED]
    Although you are correct that the ending and many aspects of the show are open to interprtation (the makers intended it that way and I completely agree with that decesion), I do believe that I've read the intensions of the writers in the past. Basically, you're spot on! Everything that happened on the Island did indeed take place.

As you said, the purgatory aspect is a way for the deceased to meet up and remember how important each of them was in each others life (so that they may pass into the afterlife at peace). That space exists in a place where time has no relevance, which is to say that someone who died during season 2 will arrive there at the same time as someone who lived on and died many years after they had left the Island following season 6.

The Island itself is in essence the Garden of Eden, the point of all creation and the light is what allows life and time to exist. The light flows from its source (the cave where the Man In Black transformed into the smoke monster) and travels to different areas throughout the Island (these are the areas that the Dharma Initiative discovered and attempted to study; the Swan being a prime example of this). From the Island the light travels through the ocean and around the entire world, thus maintaining life. It could be argued that the light represents God.

Of course, as the light travels further away from the source and across the Earth it becomes less potent (think along the lines of adding water to concentrated orange juice), which leaves just the Island with the highly concentrated power. As the light controls time as well as life, manipulation of the light (as performed initially by the MIB) allows the Island to travel to different points in time.

Remember how the Jacob explained to Hurley that the Island acts as a cork and if the Island were to be sunk (as the MIB wishes to do in order to escape his eternal torture as Smokie) then life would end? Basically, if the Island sinks then the light goes out (imagine pouring a bottle of water out of its reciprocal).

Another interesting point that was intended but only suggested by the writers was that Mother was a smoke monster herself, remember when she managed to somehow wipe out an entire colony of people by her self, off screen? She even warns Jacob that a fate worse then death awaits those who enter the cave where the light is; she should know ;)

This next bit's long but bear with me...

Another thing I noticed whilst watching the 1st season for the second time was when Jack kept seeing his dad on the Island, it was always smokie (who had come across Jack's Dad's coffin in the jungle following the plane crash; hence allowing him to alter his apperance to Jack's Dad's form and also absorb his memories). If you remember, when Jack first see's the MIB as his Dad, the MIB runs away and Jack gives chase, narrowly avoiding falling off a cliff. Well...

...the MIB had hoped to get Jack to kill himself (because the MIB knew that Jack was a candidate who might protect the light but the MIB can't harm him directly...there are rules). After that failed attempt, the MIB changes tact and leads Jack to the empty coffin of his Father, leading Jack to believe that his Father is walking around the Island.

Later on in the show (6th season I think), when the MIB is trying to allie himself with Jack (boo!), he lies to Jack and "reminds" him that it was he who led Jack to the cave where there was drinking water (the same cave where the coffin was). He tells Jack that he has been watching over him and protecting him since day one, when in fact he tried to kill Jack on day one! Truly, he is the master of manipulation. Even more so than this fellow:
    emperor.jpg
    The other Man In Black

...which is appropriate seeming that Star Wars was an influence on LOST
  • edited February 2011
    I will say this about Sequels, nothing will ever live up to the original of anything, yes you can improve on the original but it doesn't mean a better story, because that's what the original is, the original.
  • edited February 2011
    i hope that this movie will not be an epic fail... i really hope it because i LOVE jurassic park!
  • edited February 2011

I've fluctuated between excitement and trepidation for the show, heavily leaning towards the later after the super bowl spot.

I was excited when it was announced, then the early script for the pilot leaked online last year, and I lost interest, then we got news that the pilot had been rewritten and a bunch of other info that got me excited, and now the TV spot has me worried the Spielbergian "Kirby-family" dynamic and Avatar influence will sink the series...:eek:;)

Still going to check out at least the first season, however...
  • edited February 2011
    @ DAVIES
    That about sums up what I was thinking as well :)

@ robotpo
    I don't like the way the get to Terra Nova either. But I'm mostly looking forward to some dinosaur action. I was a big fan of The Lost World tv sereis and I hope that Terra Nova will be somewhere near as good as that one.
  • edited February 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I will say this about Sequels, nothing will ever live up to the original of anything, yes you can improve on the original but it doesn't mean a better story, because that's what the original is, the original.

Quite. I remember hearing a quote from someone a while back (wish I could remember who), they stated that a sequel is not a film, it is a movie; a means to creating a franchise in order to make money. By the very definition of a sequel, it can not truly be a form of creative art but rather a derivative money spinner. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't good sequels out there but rather that those sequels by their very nature lack the integrity of the original.
  • edited February 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    Men in Black - 3 films, with a decade between 2 and 3
    I thought we got 2 MIB films?
    It's a far, far consolation prize, but he's returning to dinosaurs this summer with the awful-looking "Terra Nova"...
    Sad, that show spent so much money, its like Primeval graphics + Jurassic Park, beautiful plot too, seems like its gonna be good! Im even stocking up on popcorn!

This guy is great! yes i like it too, it looks great and I'm happy Spielberg is getting closer to the franchise again of JP.
    Same!

Btw, my dream JP IV would be with Spielberg and Cameron (guy who made Avatar) working together but staying true to the franchise and keeping Spielberg and WInston style graphics but having James Cameron style directing in the mix!
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Btw, my dream JP IV would be with Spielberg and Cameron (guy who made Avatar)

Really?! I thought you meant British politician David Cameron.
  • edited February 2011

Nope, dont kno him, lol. But no, James Cameron, he has made the top two grossing films of all time, Titanic and Avatar!
  • edited February 2011

:)

Yeah, we've all been waiting on that collaboration for years... :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    I was a big fan of The Lost World tv sereis and I hope that Terra Nova will be somewhere near as good as that one.

I enjoyed "The Lost World" series at the time as well, mostly due to seeing dinosaurs on TV occasionally and Jennifer O'Dell in a Raquel Welch-ish outfit consistently. :D
    RexMaster wrote: »
    I thought we got 2 MIB films?

Sad, that show spent so much money, its like Primeval graphics + Jurassic Park, beautiful plot too, seems like its gonna be good! Im even stocking up on popcorn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black_III

And yes, it looks like Primeval's level of effects, which are what's sad, (strange, since all of the "Walking With/Running From/Prehistoric Park" series have been pretty good, as far as their effects were concerned...Bob the Game Keeper, on the other hand, is another story)!

Terra Nova's plot is an "Earth 2/Avatar/Lost/Land of the Lost" mix, and amount of money spent does not = quality...I'm very, very nervous about this show! :eek:
  • edited February 2011
    Jennifer O'Dell in a Raquel Welch-ish outfit :D

Another part of the show that always got me coming back. lol
    She should have been in more shows. I know she had a few roles in other tv shows but they were always special guest appearences.
  • edited February 2011
    The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park 4 will have feathers and gnarly colour schemes.
  • edited February 2011
    I have been waiting for the project to get on its feet for a really long time ... There have been some rumors since the last movie ended its theatrical run everything from Keirra Knightly was supposed to star to dinos with guns... I know that it could fall apart if its not handled right.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.