So who's the protagonist?

edited February 2011 in Jurassic Park
Ian Malcom? Alan Grant? That girl in the teaser?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Well, from what I've read you the game switches between characters. Ian, and Grant won't be playable characters though.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm guessing a lot of people.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, from what I've read you the game switches between characters. Ian, and Grant won't be playable characters though.

Really? Since they are pivotal characters in the franchise, not to mention the main protagonists in the films I find that extremely odd...
  • edited February 2011
    Well we already know their story, it focuses on the other survivors who were trapped on the island when the storm hit.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, like Icedhope said, the story is about other survivors on the island. I'm going to guess that the game takes place right after Nedry is killed. At that point Alan Grant and the kids are in the Jungle while Mr. Hammond and the others are at the Visitor Center. They are mentioned but you won't be coming in contact with them. However, you will be entering areas that they were in. I think it was in the GI article where they said you'll show up after main events in the movie. Like we'll probably see the area where the T-Rex attacked the cars but it'll be after the event.
  • edited February 2011
    I believe the protagonist will be Dr. Gerry Harding, Jurassic Park's resident veterinarian, but you will get play as multiple characters.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe character SELECTION, like in Maniac Mansion?

Nah, that would require actual effort.
  • edited February 2011
    Who cares if you can't move the charater ?
    Just kidding :D
  • edited February 2011
    Vlastan wrote: »
    Who cares if you can't move the charater ?
    Just kidding :D

I wish you were...
  • edited February 2011
    Spadge wrote: »
    I wish you were...

Okay, during the commentary from the game designers, they said that the main protagonist is obviously Dr. Harding and then at certain points (as you can see in the gameplay when u play the chick in the car), you will switch between Harding and other protagonists like his daughter but they said they would like you to play as many protagonists as possible... sound GREAT! Just wish people would stop complaining because sure there is always stuff to be fixed, but Telltale is doing a great job and any true Jurassic Park or Telltale fan will see that... besides, if this series is successful, series 2 will be even more developed!
    "Creation is an act of sheer will, and next time, it'll be flawless!" :D
    -John Parker Hammond, Creator of Jurassic Park
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Okay, during the commentary from the game designers, they said that the main protagonist is obviously Dr. Harding and then at certain points (as you can see in the gameplay when u play the chick in the car), you will switch between Harding and other protagonists like his daughter but they said they would like you to play as many protagonists as possible... sound GREAT! Just wish people would stop complaining because sure there is always stuff to be fixed, but Telltale is doing a great job and any true Jurassic Park or Telltale fan will see that... besides, if this series is successful, series 2 will be even more developed!

Why should I have to wait till season 2 for a game to be good? I want it to succeed, I really do. I am a true Jurassic Park fan. As for telltale, they either earn my money by making great games or they don't, I won't buy a game out of loyalty. The gameplay, as it looks in the video, was either slow and w/o interaction; or it was a quicktime event. Either way it didn't remind me much of the awe or the tension found in Jurassic Park. They can do better, I'm sure they can. And that's why we complain.
  • edited February 2011
    joslittle wrote: »
    Why should I have to wait till season 2 for a game to be good? I want it to succeed, I really do. I am a true Jurassic Park fan. As for telltale, they either earn my money by making great games or they don't, I won't buy a game out of loyalty. The gameplay, as it looks in the video, was either slow and w/o interaction; or it was a quicktime event. Either way it didn't remind me much of the awe or the tension found in Jurassic Park. They can do better, I'm sure they can. And that's why we complain.

Yes I understand why you complain... actually no I don't....
    This game is an experiment the way I see it, and if Universal is finally going to return to the franchise after so long, I care only a little about the way you move or slow gameplay at times (even though I saw little to no slow gameplay). What made it seem slow to you was when the designer was playing, he went slow so you could take it in and so he could comment on things at the same time. Also, I didn't say you had to wait for series 2 to enjoy it and trust me, I am a true Jurassic Park fan, more than any of you will ever know and that is why I am giving it a chance, and sure I'm going to complain about the roar because that is relevant to the franchise, but the way you move only impacts it a little, because if you think about it, you are going to relive similar situations to the movie and you are going to get to interact and move in the game more than you did by watching the movie, so really I will say that i dont understand why you are complaining. I hope many of the people are wrong and that Telltale succeeds as I believe they will.
  • edited February 2011
    Fine you can claim to be the most amazing Jurassic Park fan all you want, it doesn't change what the designer was showing us on the screen, you can say he was playing it slowly but I think anybody watching the video can see there isn't a whole lot to the game. It looked incredibly easy, slow, and so far (admittedly this is my opinion) kinda boring. And playing as either character so far has yet to look appealing.

Oh and these little things like movement do matter, and in a lot of cases, they can distinguish awesome games from horrible perversions of our favorite franchises.

That's right CD:i Zelda game, I'm lookin at you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bNpLXo55yfw
  • edited February 2011
    One thing I don't really like about the story is that no one of the employees of the park actually stayed on the island in that night, except for the ones we see in the movie.
  • edited February 2011
    One thing I don't really like about the story is that no one of the employees of the park actually stayed on the island in that night, except for the ones we see in the movie.

I think I read in the Steam Description about, how they were also "Trapped" On Jurassic Park...so we will have to see it..

But there are a couple things I'm not keen on...is how did the raptors escape if Nedry never shut their fence down, but maybe I'm over looking it. heh
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. Too many people have an unwarranted sense of entitlement. I for one am excited for ANY Jurassic Park game, especially one that isn't just about shooting dinos like Rambo.
  • edited February 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I think I read in the Steam Description about, how they were also "Trapped" On Jurassic Park...so we will have to see it..

But there are a couple things I'm not keen on...is how did the raptors escape if Nedry never shut their fence down, but maybe I'm over looking it. heh

I really hope it will mainly play AFTER the first movie. Then the Raptors would make sense, also the Triceratops "babys" that aren't little any more and the park employees, whatever they did there after the happenings.
  • edited February 2011

Everyone else was supposed to leave the island on the boat but the game is saying that not all of them made it to the boat and got trapped on the island. This works because the movie doesn't actually show everyone else leaving the island. We just assume that everone else made it out okay. It's perfectly possible that others were still on the island.
  • edited February 2011
    "You can find somebody else to do it because I will not." -Arnold on shutting down the system.

"John, they are out there where people are dying." -Ellie indicating that more people are out there dying.

"Call the mainland. Tell them to send the damn helicopters" -Grant indicating that more than one chopper would be needed to evacuate.

It doesn't directly state that there are others on the island, but it does leave that open quite nicely.

Also, I doubt the entire staff of such a large island would all fit on one small supply ship. I think only non-essential personnel left. I'm certain that park security, some maintenance, and animal control would still be on the island to maintain it over the weekend. The park can only run on minimum staff for up to 3 days but it's not stated exactly how many people minimum staff is.
  • edited February 2011
    Another thing, and I know that the game isn't based off the novels, but in the novel of Jurassic Park there are still staff left on the island after the boat leaves.
  • edited February 2011
    Everyone else was supposed to leave the island on the boat but the game is saying that not all of them made it to the boat and got trapped on the island. This works because the movie doesn't actually show everyone else leaving the island. We just assume that everone else made it out okay. It's perfectly possible that others were still on the island.

It makes sense why Dr. Harding was there, because well...he's the vet and I'm guess since it was the tour he needed to be on call, but that's my speculation on why he is there.
  • edited February 2011
    Another thing, and I know that the game isn't based off the novels, but in the novel of Jurassic Park there are still staff left on the island after the boat leaves.

With Dr. Harding in the leading roll I wonder if we'll see any of the other minor characters from the film in an expanded role. It would be great to see Dr. Wu
    come to a gruesome demise
    , like in the book, but seeing as the game is based off the films it's unlikely we'll see any lost scenes from the novel surface :(
  • edited February 2011
    hppav wrote: »
    Also, I doubt the entire staff of such a large island would all fit on one small supply ship. I think only non-essential personnel left. I'm certain that park security, some maintenance, and animal control would still be on the island to maintain it over the weekend.

I don't think so. The whole park was more or less automated and no one stayed in the visitor center, the control room and later in the bunker except for the guys we know. I think it's obvious from the film's atmosphere that they're the only ones on the island. It was often pointed out that all the other people go to the ship. That were the people in the whole visitor center, including Dr. Wu, and Harding as well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.