How the hell did those compy's kill Dieter?

edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
I mean really how in the hell could you let those little things get the best of you.
And on taht note how did they finish him off so fast when he was on the other side of the fallen tree. I dont know but this was the most anoying opart of the film for me.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    He was one, they were many.
  • edited February 2011
    that maybe true but they couldn't get through his clothing and he only had a few nicks a bites on his face. I just dont see how he let that happen.
  • edited February 2011
    They went for the jugular like a lion, ya see, allowing them to eat at their leisure. :p
  • edited February 2011
    Well, they chased him around untill he was exhausted and couldn't fight back as much and then they all attacked at once.
  • edited February 2011
    I might be wrong cos it's a long time since i've read it but in the books Compy's bites carry some kind of poison and when you get bitten multiple times it adds up like getting stung by a hundred bees. The way they bite him in the film and then back off to watch him suggests this might be right.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, they had some kind of poison in the book which is how they were able to kill one character in the novel. But as far as the film is concerened it was just the fact that there were so many and that they had been chasing Dieter for so long that he became exhausted and just couldn't run anymore.
  • edited February 2011
    I think I read an explanation for this somewhere and that the bite of the compys actually had a paralysing effect.

So that he could be still alive but unable to move while the compys ate him.
  • edited February 2011
    In the novels they had a bite, which is similar to a Komdoo dragon, all the bacteria from eating feces and carrion. So when they bit you, it would slowly kill, in the novels anyway.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe they didn't kill him. Maybe he actually ate them, that scream was just his battlecry :D
  • edited February 2011
    Think of Pirahnas. They are small and alone they don't present a very large threat, but when they are in groups it's another matter...
  • edited February 2011
    It was really subtle the way they showed them breaking down his psyche telling all his friends that he doesn't recycle or know how to read... By the time they got to the point of attack he had lost the will to go on.
  • edited February 2011
    @the novels

Crichton explained in the novel JP that Procompsognathus had a venomous saliva which seemed similar to that of the indian king cobra but less dangerous and structured more primitive.
    Basically after getting bitten the prey gets sedated and furthermore defenseless. "Compys" as they were called in the books hunted in large groups and were basically scavengers. They tended to attack only sick or harmed animals. In the novel JP several Procompsognathus obviously managed to reach the Costa Rican mainland and mostly attacked babys or little children especially when they were asleep. Also the opening scene from the movie TLW is taken from the novel JP where an american girl who was on vacation with her family in Costa Rica got attacked at Cabo Blanco beach.
    Later on the compys were found eating the carcass of Dennis Nedry and at the end of JP they also killed John Hammond who had stumbled down a slope and broke his knuckle. This scene which is narrated in Hammond's point of view shows how the poison not only tranquilizes Hammond but also makes him peaceful and he doesn't even realize his fate clearly.

In the movies this whole issue is actually never mentioned. I think it is also not clear whether the compys are Procompsognathus or Compsognathus. But it seems they tend to attack in large groups and the attack on Dieter Stark is obviously an element of revenge because he electroshocked one of them.
  • edited March 2011
    In the movie they are called "Procompsognathus Triassicus"
  • edited March 2011
    It never showed them kill him, so it wasn't fast. They did find his body later on, i think, but that was hours after the scene where the compys attack. There were a lot of compys, a LOT. if you look at the novel, they eat the feces. Becuase of the large number of dinosaurs, there's a large number of feces. That means a large number of compys. The compys were able to swarm him and bite chunks out of his skin. Eventually they would get to his neck and stomach and he'd bleed to death. It would have been pretty painful.
  • edited March 2011
    It never showed them kill him, so it wasn't fast. They did find his body later on, i think, but that was hours after the scene where the compys attack. There were a lot of compys, a LOT. if you look at the novel, they eat the feces. Becuase of the large number of dinosaurs, there's a large number of feces. That means a large number of compys. The compys were able to swarm him and bite chunks out of his skin. Eventually they would get to his neck and stomach and he'd bleed to death. It would have been pretty painful.

That was...descriptive.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, they had some kind of poison in the book which is how they were able to kill one character in the novel. But as far as the film is concerened it was just the fact that there were so many and that they had been chasing Dieter for so long that he became exhausted and just couldn't run anymore.

Maybe he was getting weak from the poison.
  • edited March 2011
    I always wondered about this... Then I remembered about the sedative effect their bites had
  • edited March 2011
    It never really mattered to me...I always thought he deserved it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.