SUGGESTION: redesign the box art, AND remove "The Game" from the cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2zQb_c6jM&feature=fvsr

If the box in the beginning of this video is supposed to be the official box art for the game, then I will be very disappointed, because it lacks creativity....As an aspiring artist, I feel that the box designers should put more effort in this aspect.

Since the game is being delayed, there's still a chance to change the box art, completely. This could be a change for the better.

These are not demands, they are simply recommendations. I assume the game's developers are reading these forums.

(1) Remove "The Game" from the cover.

Just leave the title as "Jurassic Park"...That's all it needs.

There's nothing wrong with PROMOTING the game by using the words "The Game" underneath the main logo...but that doesn't mean those 2 words have to be part of the game's official title.

I personally believe that leaving the title as just "Jurassic Park" with nothing else underneath it, will enhance the symbolism of the cover. If we look at the cover and the title only says "Jurassic Park", it could represent the idea of us revisiting the world of Jurassic Park, without having to be reminded that it's "just a game".

Just because other movie-based games have "The Game" in their titles, doesn't change the fact that it's redundant. There's no need to put "The Game" underneath the main title. We're ALREADY going to know that we're buying a video game, because we'll see the platform label (PC/XBox/PS3) at the top of the box.

(2) Design new artwork for the cover.

As I said before, the box art in that Youtube video is disappointing, because there's nothing in it to intrigue any customers, especially the ones who haven't seen any of the Jurassic Park movies.

Alllow me to make a comparison with Avatar (2009 movie)...it's my favorite movie, but I was still very disappointed with the DVD/Blu-ray box covers.
All they show is a blue face (or a blue hand), and unless you saw the movie in theaters, there's no way to understand the significance of those images.

Before Avatar was released on DVD/Blu-ray, I saw many displays and posters promoting the movie. They showed the protagonist riding his flying pet, with the floating mountains in the background, and the villain's gunships approaching in the distance. Some displays even showed the protagonist and his love-interest on opposite sides of the picture.
And to this day, I'm thinking: Why the heck wasn't THAT the cover of the DVD/Blu-ray? That would've been perfect. It showed the characters, it showed the setting, and it gave hints of the movie's primary conflict.

The same situation applies to "Jurassic Park: The Game".

All we see in the cover is a shadowy mountain below the title. It doesn't show anything about the game's premise, OR the premise of the franchise for that matter....And it's kind of been done before, the cover for the Sega-Genesis game is almost exactly the same.

You should consider the feelings of those who enjoy looking at box art for video games (artists in general)...You have a chance to earn our appreciation by creating a cover design that's actually complex and can "speak a thousand words".

Maybe the new box art can show the game's main cast below the title, with a stormy sky above the title to symbolize the game's dark atmosphere. The jungle/facility can be drawn around the title, with the T-Rex and Raptors on each side.

That is not really what I want to see in the game's cover. I'm just using that as an example of what the new box art should basically include: the characters, the setting, and some hints of the conflict in the storyline.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Also, "The Game" would probably be false advertising, considering it seems to be more like a barely interactive film that happens to be rendered by hardware that is generally used to play video games.
  • edited June 2011
    The game is a title used to differentiate it from the film...the same was used for Ghostbusters. Also I don't think the Boxart is final yet.
  • edited June 2011
    We're ALREADY going to know that we're buying a video game, because we'll see the platform label (PC/XBox/PS3) at the top of the box.

By this rationale, they don't have to NAME it Jurassic Park. They don't have to name it ANYTHING. You already know what you buy since there is the signature dinosaur logo on the cover.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm not totally privy to this information but as far as I know, that box art from the video was simply placeholder.
  • edited June 2011
    Also, "The Game" would probably be false advertising, considering it seems to be more like a barely interactive film that happens to be rendered by hardware that is generally used to play video games.

So you want it to be called
    "Jurassic Park: the barely interactive film that happens to be rendered by hardware that is generally used to play video games"
    Not the best name is it?
    And besides that, we don't know if this game is an epic fail like BTTF or not.
  • edited June 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    So you want it to be called
    "Jurassic Park: the barely interactive film that happens to be rendered by hardware that is generally used to play video games"
    Not the best name is it?

Perhaps a bit long.... :p
  • edited June 2011
    I don't care about the title, they can name it "Lemons and Explosions" for all i care.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't care about the title, they can name it "Lemons and Explosions" for all i care.
    I'd play "Lemons and Explosions"...
  • edited June 2011
    alan show us the new box art!!! perhaps in the concept art page..or in here maybe?

i will give you a treat :)
  • edited June 2011
    I agree with the OP about the title of the game. They should give it a subtitle, after "Jurassic Park:", that reflects the game's story. It doesn't matter in this forum, we all know what we're talking about. But in other fora and later on -- in the event this game gets talked about in the wider gaming community -- it would be nice if there was a memorable, unambiguous reference for it. Otherwise it's gonna be "that Jurassic Park game that Telltale did, you know, the one with the mercenary and the embryos".
  • edited June 2011
    It's funny that when "Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis" was announced, it was also called "Jurassic Park: The Game" back then (watch at 1:21).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKyXW99GNcw
  • edited June 2011
    I like the simplicity of the trailer box art. Not that I'll be ordering one.
  • edited June 2011
    I do agree with you on just leaving it "Jurassic Park" and scrapping "The Game" but since they did that with Back to the Future, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it like that.

I'm pretty indifferent towards the box art; I care a little more about the actual game than the case that houses it.
  • edited June 2011
    Just because other movie-based games have "The Game" in their titles, doesn't change the fact that it's redundant. There's no need to put "The Game" underneath the main title. We're ALREADY going to know that we're buying a video game, because we'll see the platform label (PC/XBox/PS3) at the top of the box.

I agree, i feel that this game will sell so much better if it is called "Jurassic Park" or "Jurassic Park: _________" rather than having "The Game" at the end. My suggestion... go with "Jurassic Park: Return to Isla Nublar", that name works well for multiple reasons, including the fact that if people know the JP universe well they will know that the island's inhabitants were supposedly destroyed so they will wonder about how a "return to isla nublar" would work and then they will end up researching the game... ending up at Telltale's site where they will see how well it represents the movie's atmosphere and be anxious to buy it.
  • _BrYan__BrYan_ Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    So about removing "The Game" from the title: I've spoken with a few people on the team that totally support this suggestion. However, I was just informed that licensing regulations are the primary reason "The Game" is here to stay.

Just wanted to keep our awesome community in the loop.

Edit: Aww man...my name isn't red!
  • edited June 2011
    _BrYan_ wrote: »
    So about removing "The Game" from the title: I've spoken with a few people on the team that totally support this suggestion. However, I was just informed that licensing regulations are the primary reason "The Game" is here to stay.

Just wanted to keep our awesome community in the loop.

Edit: Aww man...my name isn't red!

Thanks Bryan. Either way, I really like the addition of THE GAME into the name. I think that it dignifies the franchise and all of what Telltale's done. This is THE GAME of Jurassic Park, it brings everything we've questioned into perspective, and answers those questions.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.