My Jurassic Park Project: A Fan Made ReMake of the Jurassic Park Film

edited February 2012 in Jurassic Park
I started this a month ago but I didn't post because I wasn't sure how far I would get. But now that I'm sure I will be able to go through with this project I'm confident enough to start a thread about it.

But before I get into it let me say that I’m posting this here in the Jurassic park forums because I feel there are more here who would appreciate what I’m trying to do here. But if a moderator feels that this is better suited in the General Chat area then feel free to move it there.

Okay, So I’m remaking Jurassic Park…. I know!!!! Cool right? But I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking that many fans have remade Jurassic Park on Youtube.com before. What makes your movie different? I’ll tell you.

1. This is a scene for scene remake. So it will be as long as the actual film. Around two hours.

2. Unlike other fan made films, this will be taken seriously. So no joking around or making it a parody. This is to be a real fan made remake.

3. Getting away from the comedy, I will be making all dinosaurs full size. I will not be using toys or models (with the exception of the really big ones of course)

To give you an idea of how I’m making the dinosaurs, here is a video I posted on Youtube.com of the dinosaur I’m working on now which is the Dilo (spitter) that killed Nedry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZ73Qjuxko

I will also be making full size T-Rex upper body out of paper mache as well as full size raptors. I will also be trying to get the most realistic locations possible to film this. I will be filming in the woods, I will be building my own sets, I will do what ever I can to come as close to the original film.

Of course, in the end it will still be a funny low budget remake of Jurassic Park. But it will be fun and I can’t wait to see the response it gets.

Questions or thoughts? Want to get involved in some way? Let me know what you all think. :)

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I love your enthusiasm. And your words are truely inspiring. It's going to be a lot of fun making this and I appreciate and continue to ask for your support.... thank you.
  • edited July 2011
    sounds awesome!
    but cardboard? Doubtful bro...but keep it up!
  • edited July 2011
    It does sound doubtfull. I'll give you that. But I'm already almost done with the Dilophosaurus and it looks amazing so far. I'll keep everyone updated the further I get. But don't worry, I'll keep at it :)
  • edited July 2011
    Cozur wrote: »
    This is never going to be finished.
    Stop wasting your time.

At least he's doing something creative with his time, which is better than trolling people's posts.
  • edited July 2011
    Seems like a very ambitious project. If you somehow pull it off, I'd be more than happy to view it and offer my support.
  • edited July 2011
    I respect your dedication to this project and wish you all the luck in the world and i will most definately be viewing this.

(do not pay too much attention to Cozur. Cozur is merely trying to contravene as they do with most anybody. You have my full support.)
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for the support guys! :)

I just got off of work and I'm off tomorrow with nothing to do so I'm going to have the cast of the whole Dilophosaurus done by tomorrow night. And The painting should be done by next week so Yall should see a new video in about three or four weeks.

Edit: Here's an update picture
    dsc00001yg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: And another. This is the neck. It's split into sections so that it'll be able to move and look around. The whole thing will be covered in a black cloth that should blend in with the rest of the dinosaurs dark body. This is a night scene so lighting should work its magic at hiding some of the inperfections.
    dsc00002di.jpg

• edited July 2011
    Finished the basic shape of the face today. I'm going to add the crests on the top of the head later after I've applied paper mache to it. I also still need to add teeth but that will also be done after the first paper mache layer. I'm doing the tail tomorrow and the arms.

dsc00004pt.jpg

• edited July 2011
    Looking very nice so far i cannot wait to see the final product good job.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks RaptorsRwk :)
    I'm still a few weeks away till I can start filming but I can't wait. Here's one of the arms that I worked on today. :)
    dsc00007bri.jpg

• edited July 2011
    Looks great. It's nice to see it coming together. I agree with RaptorsRwk; the final product should be fantastic.
  • edited July 2011
    One quick question to my awesome jurassic park community. Why hasn't Hypsilophodon been in any jurassic park movies? I mean I didn't even know that dino existed until i read the JP novel. If they're going to make a new JP movie I want Hypilophodon in it! And also Jack Horner is the one who discovered Maiasaura so why wouldn't he jump at the chance of including a dinosaur in the JP movies that was in the novels, especially one that he discovered? I just don't get it. If you're going to remake the movies please put these dinos in there. They deserve some recognition.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, to clear up a few things from my very first post. I'm going to end up taking some more liberties than I originally planned. I sat down and watched the movie the other day to story board and to come up with some general ideas of how to pull some of the scenes off and my original scene for scene idea is just out of the question. I will still be taking everything seriously but I'll just be making changes where I have too.

I'm going back to the novel as well in order to help fill in some gaps that will be created from the missing scenes that I can't do. I know the Nedry attack scene will play a tad bit differently than it did in the movie. I'll be a bit more like the novel.

Cyberscribe, I get where you're coming from and I agree but don't hold too much hope of seeing those two in my movie. These dinosaurs are very time consuming to make. I need to focuse on making dinosaurs that I feel need to be in the movie like the Dilo, T-Rex, Raptors and Triceratops. But I'll try to see if I can fit them in some way. Perhaps in the background when Grant is looking at the dinosaurs by the lake.

I making this film one step at a time. I'm putting on focus on the Dilo scene right now and when that scene is done I'll see what I can do next.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, to clear up a few things from my very first post. I'm going to end up taking some more liberties than I originally planned. I sat down and watched the movie the other day to story board and to come up with some general ideas of how to pull some of the scenes off and my original scene for scene idea is just out of the question. I will still be taking everything seriously but I'll just be making changes where I have too.

I'm going back to the novel as well in order to help fill in some gaps that will be created from the missing scenes that I can't do. I know the Nedry attack scene will play a tad bit differently than it did in the movie. I'll be a bit more like the novel.

Cyberscribe, I get where you're coming from and I agree but don't hold too much hope of seeing those two in my movie. These dinosaurs are very time consuming to make. I need to focuse on making dinosaurs that I feel need to be in the movie like the Dilo, T-Rex, Raptors and Triceratops. But I'll try to see if I can fit them in some way. Perhaps in the background when Grant is looking at the dinosaurs by the lake.

I making this film one step at a time. I'm putting on focus on the Dilo scene right now and when that scene is done I'll see what I can do next.

A 10 foot tall Dilo? Will the killing including guts and gore? :D And I completely understand especially if you're making these dinosaurs yourself. But I mean maybe you could add in the smaller ones like microceratops or procompsognathus. Nothing too big I mean don't kill yourself this is an ambitious project. Best of Luck to you.
  • edited July 2011
    Not 10 foot tall unfortunitly. But, it is bigger than the one in the film. My Dilo comes up to my shoulder while the one in the movie would be about up to my waist or so. I'm still debating about the guts and gore but my version of the scene will be more creepy while the one in the movie was more comical. Microceratops might not be out of the question. I may be replacing the Brachiosaurus while they're in the tree scene with the scene in the novel where they come across the baby triceratops. But I could use a Microceratops instead. I'm also strongly considering procompsognathus as they would be easy to make and they are in the first novel so it would be easy to add them in some way.

Anywho, some super cool Dilo pictures. Still need to add the V Crest and paint it of course. As well as cover the neck.

dsc00008ti.jpg

dsc00009j.jpg

dsc00010ry.jpg

• edited July 2011
    As i have stated before very nice. And i understand that you will have to cut certain scenes out considering the budget difference.
  • edited July 2011
    Just thought I'd say I wish you all the best, and respect what you are doing very much :)
  • edited July 2011
    Thank you every one :)

Some more photos!!

img4143q.jpg

img4144fnj.jpg

img4146oc.jpg

img4154a.jpg

• edited July 2011
    A New Video of how far the Dilo has come. I'm perdicting two or three weeks and then I can start filming the Dilo scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOtuvgPfAs
  • edited July 2011
    Looks like you're making quite a bit of progress. Perhaps when you've finished filming the scene, you could give us a teaser? You've made me quite curious to see the finished product.
  • edited July 2011
    A Teaser trailer is a great idea. I'll put one together after the Dilo scene is filmed.

Also, just thought I would share that I just got something in the mail that I'll be using as a prop for the movie. Its a barbasol shaving cream can that has a bottom that unscrews. It's made to be a piggy bank of sorts but I'll be putting a contraption in it that makes it like the one in the film. cool stuff
  • edited July 2011
    Pretty cool, indeed. Have you already put together a cast?
  • edited July 2011
    I have. In fact, After I film the first scene I'm going to put together a short video that shows off the Dilo and also will show you who will be playing the different characters in the movie.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, now I have something to look forward to. I'm sure everyone on the Jurassic Park forum is interested to see your remake. You seem like you're dedicated to staying close to source material so I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • edited July 2011
    Thank you. I'm doing my best to stick as close to the movie as possible or (in cases where I can't do things the movies did) bring in subjects and scenes from the novel. It's funny, this Friday I'm going shopping after work to buy clothes for the movie. I'm trying to stick as close to the wardrobe from the movie as possible. So Dr. Grant will have is expected outfit as well as Ellie and the rest of the characters. I'm running out of paint so I need to get more of that too but I'm still aiming for July 30th to start filming the Dilo scene but I'm more than sure that I can start filming it sooner. Just need to overtime it on the painting

Here some more photos to hold yall over till I can get the dinosaur done. The Face is done but I'm out of paint. I'll get some tomorrow and have the body finished.

img4221u.jpg

img4222v.jpg

img4223cp.jpg

• edited July 2011
    Very nice and i cannot wait to see what parts of the novel you will be using for the movie as well as the trailer. I've always wanted to see the part of the novel were they all realise that there are many more dinosaurs in jurassic park than they had thought, the baby t-rex and also Wu's death.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm gona be updating a lot today. I'm almost done painting! :) Here's the body. Doing the amrs right now
    img4224jh.jpg

img4226y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/img4227a.jpg/

img4228pl.jpg

img4232q.jpg

• edited July 2011
    I'm really intrigued to see the finished dinosaur product. Perhaps we can see one or two shots of the finished dinosaur? Or maybe I should just wait until the teaser. I'm torn between the two options.
  • edited July 2011
    I was hoping to have it done by tonight but I still have the legs and tail to do. I'll try to have them finished tomorrow. I'm also hoping to start filming this sunday but that depends on if my brother in law, James, is off of work. He's playing Nedry.
  • edited July 2011
    Sorry for another double post but I wanted everyone to know that I'm filming the Dilo attack scene in a few hours. And shortly after that or maybe tomorrow There will be a video posted showing what went down in the area we are filming.

But expect some new and awesome pictures tonight :)
  • edited July 2011
    Your dinosaurs are cool but don't remake the film scene for scene. That movie has been made. Be original.
  • edited July 2011
    I take that back. Your dinos are bad.
  • edited July 2011
    Let me start by saying that this is what we had to deal with!!!!
    22256322769715246041258.jpg

I thought working the dinosaur was going to be bad! That was nothing compaired to the insane about of mosquitos that we had to deal with. In the future, when they find these things in amber, we might just get cloned O_0

Stick around more photos of us actually filming coming real soon

Also, I need to fix my cameras internal clock
    HumanToast wrote: »
    Your dinosaurs are cool but don't remake the film scene for scene. That movie has been made. Be original.

Don't worry. I'm not going for a scene for scene remake like I original planned. There's a lot of orginal scenes as well
  • edited July 2011
    wtf that was taken in 04
  • edited July 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    wtf that was taken in 04
    No, it was taken today. But the internal clock is wrong and we just never fixed it. Any who Production Photos!!!
    dilos1.jpg

That's me on the left and my sister. We're just about to film the Jeep speeding down the dirt road.

dilos2.jpg

Here's my Jeep with a JP Logo on it. That's my brother in law, Damien, in the back. He helped with the Dilo during the shoot

dilos3.jpg

Damien with the Dilo head.

dilos6.jpg

dilos7.jpg

This is filled with very nasty Dilo Spit. lol

dilos11.jpg

Which was then thrown in James' face. lol

dilos13.jpg

For the scene when it's walking up to Nedry

dilos15.jpg

Getting pulled out of a jeep by a dinosaur is never fun

dilos18.jpg

That's all I can show yall now.

I know it's not perfect. It's not like I believe this is a big budget movie or anything. lol But we were having a lot of fun and I'm editing the scene together now and it's actually really cool. Not everyone is going to like it. In fact, a lot are going to think it's down right dumb and silly. But I don't care. We're having a lot of fun making this and I can't wait to start filming the scenes Involving the Raptor Pen which is what I'm going to start working on next :)
  • edited July 2011
    that looks very cool, looking forward to some video :)
  • edited July 2011
    The dino spit looks nasty; I love it! I'm also pleased to see that you're using an actual Jeep for the film. The dinosaurs look brilliant and I like how you're keeping a tight schedule instead of spacing it out and filming 'whenever you feel like'.
  • edited July 2011
    I will also be making full size T-Rex upper body out of paper mache as well as full size raptors.

You should consider scaling these dinos down to a more manageable size. Know one will be able to tell the size difference if you shoot from the right perspective.

I'd imagine this would be easier to film, and you'd be saving huge dollars on masking tape. lol
  • edited July 2011
    Thank you Martin McFly. It was very important to me that the Jeep be an actual jeep. I'm using a Van for the Tour Vehichals sadly, but having at least a Jurassic Park jeep makes up for it I think.

Jpark 08, after actually using the Paper Mache Dinosaur I've decided no more paper mache. I have some friends on youtube that are showing me how to make some great creatures out of foam so all the other dinosaurs will be made with that. The T-Rex will be as close to life size as possible and by using foam it should make things lighter and easier to use.

So I have a video here. It's not a teaser trailer or a finished scene. But it is some behind the scenes looks at what we did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXMfDYLeG0
  • edited July 2011
    Very nice keep us posted.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.