Languages?

Which languages will be included in the game?

Comments

• Sixteen60Sixteen60 ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited October 2011
    English and German voice and text, French text.
  • edited October 2011
    Portuguese could have
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks Sixteen60.

I'd better no comment...
  • edited October 2011
    What?!

No Hungarian? I'm outraged.:D
  • edited October 2011
    What?! No Pig Latin?
    I'mway otnay uyingbay isthay amegay ownay!
  • edited October 2011
    Renato wrote: »
    Portuguese could have :mad:
    Portuguese could have an angry face?
  • edited October 2011
    Sixteen60 wrote: »

No European Spanish?. :confused:
  • edited October 2011
    Sixteen60 wrote: »

OMG awesome ^^ Though Ill probably play it on english :D
  • edited October 2011
    This is the map of languages in the world:
    worldmap.png

And this is the Internet users map in the world:
    zooknic_world_2008_02_users.jpg

I let Telltale understand how many potential customers they're losing.
  • edited October 2011
    German voice? Cool! Bttf voice wasnt bad, wich is rare
  • edited October 2011
    Portuguese could have an angry face?

I can not speak English I used google translator came out different
  • edited October 2011
    worldmap.png

And this is the Internet users map in the world:
    zooknic_world_2008_02_users.jpg

I can't understand why you translate the game to German.

In Spain Jurassic Park was a huge success! Still today people keep buying Jurassic Park merchandise, DVD's, Blu-Ray...

If you can't distribute for economical reasons ask for help to Universal. They will be interested for sure.
  • edited October 2011
    come niente italiano?
    quanto si rilasciano giochi in europa le lingue sono INGLESE,FRANCESE,DETESCO,ITALIANO E SPAGNOLO,queste sono le lingue più diffuse,ora mettiamo per esempio L'ITALIANO,L'ITALIANO oltre che parlato in Italia è parlato anche in CROAZIA,SVIZZERA,SlOVENIA,MALTA e anche in ALBANIA.
    penso che voi capiate l'importanza dell'italiano,concludo dicendo che io conosco solo 3 lingue ITALIANO,SICILIANO E SPAGNOLO e nessune di queste è usata nel gioco.
  • edited October 2011
    crochunter wrote: »
    come niente italiano?
    quanto si rilasciano giochi in europa le lingue sono INGLESE,FRANCESE,DETESCO,ITALIANO E SPAGNOLO,queste sono le lingue più diffuse,ora mettiamo per esempio L'ITALIANO,L'ITALIANO oltre che parlato in Italia è parlato anche in CROAZIA,SVIZZERA,SlOVENIA,MALTA e anche in ALBANIA.
    penso che voi capiate l'importanza dell'italiano,concludo dicendo che io conosco solo 3 lingue ITALIANO,SICILIANO E SPAGNOLO e nessune di queste è usata nel gioco.
    English is enough for a game, most young people speak English these days, it has become a basic requirement IMO. And those who do not speak English should learn to do so. Yeah, French, German, Spanish and Italian are also very important in the European Union (BTW I didn't know they spoke Italian in Malta!), but they cannot come close to English in importance.

I speak French too (that's why I understood half your comment:D), but I hardly ever use it, I use English, because that's what the world demands.:) Also, it's waaay easier than the languages of my neighbouring countries, I don't think I could ever learn Ukrainian or Serbian.:)
  • edited October 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    English is enough for a game

Because you know it.
    it has become a basic requirement IMO [...] And those who do not speak English should learn to do so.

Yeah! Atfer 8 hours of work each day, why don't you spend 5 years and some thousand euros for a 5 years English course just to play Jurassic Park:The Game? And to discover very soon that you're not so talented in languages and after all you still cannot understand sarcasm, jokes, and phrasal verbs? That's what videogames are for, right?

But you're right, after all nowadays it's almost an impossible challenge to provide multi-language subtitles in a game...
  • edited October 2011
    The truth is that the languages ​​of the game could be added AFTER the release of the game (not immediately, but even 1 month after the launch) with a patch on "Your Games" page.. I think that's not so difficult.. Why German and French are privileged, while italian does not even have at least subtitles? "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" are two strong and very important licenses, i think that should have both the Italian too...
  • edited October 2011
    No Spanish text? i don't understand... :confused:
    I'm disappointed Telltalle... :(

List of languages by number of native speakers
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah! Atfer 8 hours of work each day, why don't you spend 5 years and some thousand euros for a 5 years English course just to play Jurassic Park:The Game? And to discover very soon that you're not so talented in languages and after all you still cannot understand sarcasm, jokes, and phrasal verbs? That's what videogames are for, right?

But you're right, after all nowadays it's almost an impossible challenge to provide multi-language subtitles in a game...
    What? When did I say the point of learning another language is to play a video game? What I was trying to say is that with globalisation, you simply cannot ignore learning English.

I've learnt English in high school (compulsory in Hungary), not from the best teacher, but I managed, bought some English books and watched a lot of movies. You can learn a foreign language if you really want to. Even my mom did it... and then you don't have to worry about searching for subtitles and stuff like that.
  • edited October 2011
    What? When did I say the point of learning another language is to play a video game? What I was trying to say is that with globalisation, you simply cannot ignore learning English.

Well, I understand your point of view, and I learnt English in school too. But my 62 years old mother doesn't, 'cause she quit school at the age of 9 to start to work, due to economical problems.
    Now, finally, she's on retirement. She really doesn't need english - why does she if everything is translated here, from instructions to movies? She knows the few basic words, and that's it.

Do you think it's the case to buy her Jurassic Park to relax herself?
    I think it's better to buy her some other translated game from Bigfishgames instead of JP, 'cause 90% of games get a localization here in Italy. And it's more fun to fully understand what you're playing.

Here in Italy, magazines and and websites are starting to ignore Telltale's products...
  • edited October 2011
    German, lol!

It would be better to get the game in Portuguese and Spanish... Much more people speak this languages than german.
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm yes you are right but you can't ignore the mass purchasing power of the Germans and German speaking foreigners.
  • edited October 2011
    worldmap.png

Why is Azerbaijan Caucasian and not Turkic? And since when is Kazakhstan Slavic and not Turkic lol. Something is wrong with this map ^^
  • edited October 2011
    Why is Azerbaijan Caucasian and not Turkic? And since when is Kazakhstan Slavic and not Turkic lol. Something is wrong with this map ^^

That map isn't correct... Some countries that have Portuguese as the official language doesn't appear to speak it in that map!
  • edited November 2011
    i hope that it will be possible to do "home made translations" so people can translate at least the text
  • edited November 2011
    99.9% of people who A) play video games and B) like Jurassic Park would know English. I know there are exceptions, but most people fit into this category.
  • edited November 2011
    TP3D wrote: »
    99.9% of people who A) play video games and B) like Jurassic Park would know English. I know there are exceptions, but most people fit into this category.

...So you're saying that every multilanguage release from Ubisoft, EA, Valve, etc. is just for the 0.1% of the market?????

:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2011
    ...So you're saying that every multilanguage release from Ubisoft, EA, Valve, etc. is just for the 0.1% of the market?????

:rolleyes:
    Nope, but those companies have much more money and resources than Telltale. If Universal is wiling to compensate them for the additional effort, then these complaints really should be filed against them.
  • edited November 2011
    Nope, but those companies have much more money and resources than Telltale.

Companies smaller than Telltale made multilanguage games regularly. Bill Tiller's "A vampyre story" and "Voojoo Island" has Italian Subtitles. "Amnesia" has multilanguage from the day of its release. Even "Braid" has multilanguage.
    Don't tell me they have no money for it, but have money for jeeps, real plants, props and stuffs to exhibit during shows...
  • edited November 2011
    Companies smaller than Telltale made multilanguage games regularly. Bill Tiller's "A vampyre story" and "Voojoo Island" has Italian Subtitles. "Amnesia" has multilanguage from the day of its release. Even "Braid" has multilanguage.
    Don't tell me they have no money for it, but have money for jeeps, real plants, props and stuffs to exhibit during shows...

they also could ask for an amateur translation, at least for the text
  • edited November 2011
    TP3D wrote: »

Not quite. Outside of America things can be quite different. The problem is that most videogame "blockbusters" are distributed by companies that don't realize that there's a (big) market outside of the US.

The problem is... everyone thinks that everyplace is just like the US...

There's a reason Facebook games are kicking your asses! :p
  • edited November 2011
    just think that every country is equal to the united states, I hope they put the Italian and Spanish, or only French and German can play.
    20 feet? how many meters are?
  • edited November 2011
    crochunter wrote: »
    just think that every country is equal to the united states, I hope they put the Italian and Spanish, or only French and German can play.
    20 feet? how many meters are?

they will not insert italian and spanish :(
  • edited November 2011
    TT could even sell translation.
    I would pay 5$ more for an Italian localization, so they could cover translation costs.
  • edited November 2011
    What's the biggest market for Jurassic Park? That's what the money is being spent on. I'm not understating the foreign fans of the film, and would love for them to get support. But this isn't a AAA-title release, and both Telltale and Universal aren't expecting that level of buyers and profit. Therefore the level of support is only a fraction of those. Other smaller companies do what they do to attract a bigger fanbase. This game is aimed at those who liked the films, it's not for a new audience. The films were originally in English and is generally a universal language. How much money would they make from lesser known languages? Putting in that much work just to satisfy a small portion of their audience?

TT should have some sort of custom created subtitle system for those languages. English, Spanish, French, Portuguese should be officially covered. But official support for the others while nice, is just not justifiable. Time, money, effort is all at play.
  • edited November 2011
    Why not Portuguese!!!??? We have a lot of Jurassic Park Fans in Brazil, and a lot of clients...

Also... German translation sounds good!
  • edited November 2011
    Tank you for the subtitles in french !!!
  • edited November 2011
    _djs_ wrote: »
    German, lol!

It would be better to get the game in Portuguese and Spanish... Much more people speak this languages than german.

Actually German makes sense. There seems to be a real market for Adventure Games in Germany, and German developers were still making Adventure Games long after they were abandoned by LucasArts and Sierra.

More people may speak Portuguese and Spanish, but it's very likely a higher percentage of German people will be interested in this game. I don't pretend to understand it, I just accept it.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah yeah... you're right. Still I think it's going to be a big hit in Brazil... But we're used to English...
  • edited November 2011
    You can put your games on every console, iPad, PC or Mac but you can't afford SUBTITLES?

DoubleFine is also a small company and Costume Quest and Stacked have multilingual subtitles support...
    If you want, you can do it. But I suppose you don't care about your fans anymore.
  • edited November 2011
    nomecopies wrote: »
    But I suppose you don't care about your fans anymore.

Not to offend you, but are you nuts? Your argument is pure nonsense.
    If you would follow the forums, you would recognize that TTG is hugely taking advices by its fans. Especially with JPTG.

However, I didnt expect the game with German language support and on my opinion Woodsyblue post is the most understandable for TTG's reason of translation.

In advance, i mostly hate translation. Good translation is expensive and much work. It's not like math, there is no perfect solution, and thus many meanings and puns get lost. I always prefer the original, because thats how its meant to be.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.