Dear Telltale, please ship Deluxe Editions in another box, not the actual Deluxe Box

edited February 2012 in Jurassic Park
So I really appreciated getting my JP Deluxe Edition in the mail today, I really appreciate that you met the mid-December shipping deadline and it's a great little Deluxe Edition.

My only concern is that you guys shipped it in the Deluxe Edition box, without any additional packaging. This is problematic for 2 reasons, first the shipping labels kind of ruin the box for collectors and not having an outer box leaves it a bit beat up going through the mail system. Secondly, there wasn't any tape or anything keeping the box sealed, while I appreciate this from a Collector's standpoint, if the box had been jostled during shipping or if someone had gotten curious between here and there, they could have easily taken anything and everything out of the box.

I know you guys try hard to keep your customers happy but please take my points into consideration for future Deluxe Editions. Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2011
    There was tape sealing mine so that part may have been just you. I personally thought that the way it was shipped made it authentic. But I see what you mean.
  • Sixteen60Sixteen60 ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited December 2011
    etcrane wrote: »
    So I really appreciated getting my JP Deluxe Edition in the mail today, I really appreciate that you met the mid-December shipping deadline and it's a great little Deluxe Edition.

My only concern is that you guys shipped it in the Deluxe Edition box, without any additional packaging. This is problematic for 2 reasons, first the shipping labels kind of ruin the box for collectors and not having an outer box leaves it a bit beat up going through the mail system. Secondly, there wasn't any tape or anything keeping the box sealed, while I appreciate this from a Collector's standpoint, if the box had been jostled during shipping or if someone had gotten curious between here and there, they could have easily taken anything and everything out of the box.

I know you guys try hard to keep your customers happy but please take my points into consideration for future Deluxe Editions. Thanks!

Hey etcrane

Thanks for the feedback. The intention in shipping in the actual box was to make it feel like you were receiving a new employee kit (which wouldn't come in any kind of protective outer box). Your point is taken though and we'll see what other people think as they get their deluxe editions.

You should have had a clear circular seal on your box, preventing it from being opened in transit. Sorry it wasn't there, we'll check in with our distribution company on that. Glad it got to you safely.
  • edited December 2011
    Sixteen60 wrote: »
    Hey etcrane

Thanks for the feedback. The intention in shipping in the actual box was to make it feel like you were receiving a new employee kit (which wouldn't come in any kind of protective outer box). Your point is taken though and we'll see what other people think as they get their deluxe editions.

You should have had a clear circular seal on your box, preventing it from being opened in transit. Sorry it wasn't there, we'll check in with our distribution company on that. Glad it got to you safely.

It'd be nice to get a clean box in mint condition. The Deluxe Edition content is fantastic though, really above and beyond!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree. I just found out that my Deluxe Edition is shipping. I would be nice to have the Deluxe box without any shipping labels on it.
  • edited December 2011
    My box had that tape seal broken. Someone simply cut it and looked inside.

Fortunately nothing was missing, but I wasn't too happy to see the tape had been cut.
  • edited December 2011
    International buyer here, and reading this, now I'm REALLY worried about my box being covered in labels from customs and the like.
  • edited December 2011
    My showed up today. The bottom is covered in the typical shipping dirt and grime. Other than that, it's fine.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine showed up a couple of days ago and it was inside another box >> i wonder why mine was different
  • edited December 2011
    Mine showed up a couple of days ago and it was inside another box >> i wonder why mine was different

Did you have anything else in your order?
  • edited December 2011
    Did you have anything else in your order?

ooooh, right, i was so excited over all the neat jurassic park things i forgot back to the future cd was in there xD
  • edited December 2011
    ooooh, right, i was so excited over all the neat jurassic park things i forgot back to the future cd was in there xD

That's why! Hope you enjoy the Deluxe Edition content!
  • edited December 2011
    Only little nitpick I have is that where I live it rains like a bitch. And my package was right there ready to be ruined, luckily I was able to notice it before the rain drops started dropping.
  • edited December 2011
    I can understand this point of view and it would be nice to get a box in the mail that just says InGen.
    But I do hope a lot it survives international shipping. And customs seals and mail stamps are kept to a minimum.
    So maybe putting it into another box isn't such a bad idea.
  • edited December 2011
    My set arrived today! Awesome stuff, although the front of my box was a bit scuffed up from shipping, and do kind of wish it had arrived better. :( Not Telltale's fault of course, but put me on the list for people who would like a version of the box in pristine condition! :) However, in a way having it scuffed up from shipping does make it a little more authentic in a way. ;)

However (and I did send an e-mail to Telltale support that I hope gets answered tomorrow), the DVD disc did get dislodged during shipping, and hence is fairly scuffed up with light scratches. Again, it must have merely happened from shipping, but I really hope they give me a replacement disc (maybe in a paper sleeve as protection on the disc itself?), I'll even send back the disc if they want it, heh. Not angry at all, just is the luck that sometimes comes with getting stuff shipped. :( I wish they had a physical Telltale store! Then I would have driven there to get it! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm playing the waiting game now. I'm not gonna watch the special unboxing video till I get the package.
  • edited December 2011
    This concerns me.

While I can see Telltales point about authentic ingen employee kit, at the same time the box is half the presentation and as much as part of the deluxe experience as the stuff inside. As a collectible, heck even as just something to put on my shelf, the idea of a scuffed up, probably FILTHY from various vans and planes and covered in labels box does not appeal. Added to the comments about it being seal with a singular circle sticker and the fact it saying ingen is likely to cause intrigue it makes me rather worried when it's being internationally shipped! I mean really one of the little stickers that is easily cut and often peel off of their own accord while on the shelves is whats protecting all my goodies from falling out and being pilfered while it clears US postal services, airport handling, flying across the Atlantic, more airport handling and UK postal services?

I'd much rather get the ingen box inside a proper, highly sealed plan cardboard box the same as the BTTF box and Monkey Island boxes came in. It strikes me as while trying to think about being cool and clever Telltale totally overlooked the logistical facts of postal shipping and the idea that customers like to have the collectible elements, including the box, in pristine condition; from descriptions and videos etc the actual box doesn't even appear to be built all that well in terms of being a shipping box.

If Telltale really wanted to do this they should of paid for nice strong, securely sealed shipping ingen boxes and put the collectible box inside of it; that way it combines the user experience of the ingen employee kit arrival without damaging part of the collectible and being rather questionably built and secured for shipping, especially for international orders.
  • edited December 2011
    The intention in shipping in the actual box was to make it feel like you were receiving a new employee kit (which wouldn't come in any kind of protective outer box).

I originally felt the same way as most, but after reading this, I think TT did the right thing. Then again, my box came in pretty near mint condition other than a few minor scuffs, so maybe I'm luckier than most. Of course, when I also consider that I got the deluxe edition for $5+shipping (due to the coupon from back when the game first got delayed), I wouldn't feel right about complaining to begin with.

Kudos, Telltale.

Now, if this had been done with the BttF deluxe set, I'd have been super pissed :D
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree as well. I think it is cool that they want it to be like a real InGen kit. I am just worried that the international shipping labels will be all over the box instead of just the bottom.

Mattroid wrote: »
    I originally felt the same way as most, but after reading this, I think TT did the right thing. Then again, my box came in pretty near mint condition other than a few minor scuffs, so maybe I'm luckier than most. Of course, when I also consider that I got the deluxe edition for $5+shipping (due to the coupon from back when the game first got delayed), I wouldn't feel right about complaining to begin with.

Kudos, Telltale.

Now, if this had been done with the BttF deluxe set, I'd have been super pissed :D
  • edited December 2011
    Our warehouse has told us they're able to get international shipping labels on the bottom of the box with plenty of room to spare. I haven't seen one of them yet, but they know what they're doing.

Everybody is really happy with how much you guys are enjoying the set itself, and specifically the design decisions they made. I get why some of you are concerned with the choice, but it was a conscious decision to actually make the box itself look beat-up and scuffed, to add to the effect. The "dirt" some of you are seeing on the box is likely part of the design itself.

It does suck that a few of you have gotten packages with broken seals, though, and I'm sorry that happened. To be honest, though, if a USPS worker is doing something like that in the first place, it's probably not a situation where a standard box would keep it from happening.
  • edited December 2011
    I hope that international shipping will not ruining it, but I think it's just a hope and will not arrive in good condition, unfortunately. Maybe it's a good idea for internal shipping (U.S. Territory), perhaps it is not very good idea for international shipment.
  • edited December 2011
    Let me just say that Michael and the Telltale team are an awesome group of people. I had an issue with my order and he responded right away and went beyond the help I thought I would receive. Just wanted you all to know. :) I don't think any other gaming company in the industry caters this much to their fans in both the creative force behind the games they are making, the presentation of them, and then turning around and also taking part in some awesome customer service all the way through. Thank you very much.
  • edited December 2011
    scallenger wrote: »
    Let me just say that Michael and the Telltale team are an awesome group of people. I had an issue with my order and he responded right away and went beyond the help I thought I would receive. Just wanted you all to know. :) I don't think any other gaming company in the industry caters this much to their fans in both the creative force behind the games they are making, the presentation of them, and then turning around and also taking part in some awesome customer service all the way through. Thank you very much.

I TOTALLY agree with you.. In fact, I'm worried about italian couriers :D:D
  • edited December 2011
    It's things like this that make us worry about the box:
    http://youtu.be/DhmjJCBQ-cA
  • edited December 2011
    Just received my copy (all the way in the Netherlands, wasn't expecting it so soon!).

I do appreciate the idea behind shipping it like this, in the Ingen-box, but I have to say that I prefer the traditional way of sending these packages. My box was pretty damaged. The seal wasn't broken though.

As for the contents: simply amazing. It all looks (and feels!) amazing. Probably your best Deluxe Edition yet. I love how high-quality everything is. The field guide is probably my favorite thing, lots of pages, and the cover feels great. I'm looking forward to reading all of that later tonight. The map/brochure is great as well, looks just like something you might actually get when visiting Jurassic Park.

Great job everyone. All of this really makes my excited for future Deluxe editions. Can't wait to see what Walking Dead, King's Quest (some sort of book full of legends like KQ6 had, surely?) and Fables (and Law & Order?) will offer. I'm one happy fan, that's for sure!

Edit: Really interested in the phone message. Calling it from here would be a little insane though, so hopefully someone will upload it to youtube!
  • edited December 2011
    Received my copy today - the contents of the box are of a really high standard, but as with other users I was very disappointed in the outer packaging.

The seal was broken - which I assume was down to UK customs being a touch suspicious of something stating genetic technologies. But the box itself was in terrible condition, as it looks like it was kicked across the floor and crushed under other products. There is large damage to one corner where it seems to have been dropped and the whole package is very dirty and scuffed.

This is especially disappointing as the box forms an integral part of the collectors edition and the whole thing looks very shabby. I understand the idea of sending it the way it was, but I would have liked the option to have it in another box as I would have rather had a pristine copy that was perhaps lacking the sense of wonder instead of the tatty looking copy that I have now
  • edited December 2011
    I live in England and mine arrived today! The box was pristine, and I loved the fact that it was shipped in an InGen branded box! Very authentic. My neighbour took delivery of as I was out, and dropped it in earlier today. My neighbour was very intrigued and asked who InGen were!! Thanks for such prompt delivery, Telltale! Happy New year everyone and happing gaming.
  • edited January 2012
    I loved the surprise of getting an official InGen box in the mail! I'm a pretty finicky collector, but the usual grime and scuff from shipping that the box was subjected to didn't break my heart. Rather, it made the delivery and unboxing authentic.

That said, it really would be nice to have a mint condition box as well, but I enjoyed the experience of receiving an official InGen-branded kit (and the questions it raised from my office mailroom!)
  • edited January 2012
    I have to agree with the OP: I was on holiday and a neighbor accepted the box for me; the seal was broken and he claimed it was delivered to him like that (the box's contents are complete), but it's impossible for me to know if he got curious and opened it, or if the seal was broken during shipping.

Apart from that, the box got damaged slightly, with scratches on the top, bottom and side.

I, too, appreciate the idea of getting send an INGEN box which adds to the excitement. But perhaps a box around the original box, with INGEN logo's, might be a better idea for any future shippings. Just to keep the original safe and undamaged.
  • edited January 2012

The seal was broken - which I assume was down to UK customs being a touch suspicious of something stating genetic technologies. But the box itself was in terrible condition, as it looks like it was kicked across the floor and crushed under other products. There is large damage to one corner where it seems to have been dropped and the whole package is very dirty and scuffed.

That thought crossed my mind as well: customs being worried about the contents. Might be why my seal was broken as well. As for the contents: I love them, great job!
  • edited January 2012
    International buyer here, and reading this, now I'm REALLY worried about my box being covered in labels from customs and the like.
    I have customs and postman notes :(
  • edited January 2012
    I wasn't expecting it, since I live in Belgium and the delivery time was about 6 weeks. But today's my birthday and the past days I was hoping it would arrive today.
    And what was on the table with the rest of today's mail when I got downstairs... oh yea... a little blue box, unbelievable!
    I'm still as happy as a kid!

And the box itself survived international shipping and is in a pretty good condition. No extra stamps, seals or something like that.
    The original seal was intact and I guess the dirt on it is mainly the printing. It did wear off a little above the :SITEATEAM. But I don't mind, it still looks awesome!

Then I had to go to work so the box kept closed, because I wanted to take my time to open it and also take some photos of it.

I got home and relived the moment from earlier when I first saw the box.
    Unboxing it was super, all those goodies look and feel great.

Thx telltale games!!!
  • edited January 2012
    All I have to say to the people of this thread: Read this book. =P
  • edited January 2012
    Mine was fine too when it got to sweden. Sure the box had a sticker, but that could easily be removed :)
  • edited January 2012
    Mine arrived and with no damage or broken seal. I live in Norway and I was surprised with the shipping time as well it arrived ten days after it was shipped.

I really like the deluxe edition really nice and great details the security card was awesome :)
    Good job telltale
  • edited January 2012
    mine came to the uk in a normal box as i had other items. but im glad it did as my box had a massive customs sticker on it. however, on the ingen box inside it does have black scuff marks which look awesome - i see what the designers intended and i think it looks great!
  • edited January 2012
    Telltale did you ever consider this could have been a gift? Do they want someone else's name across the package? THAT IS NOT AUTHENTIC. WHY WERE WE NOT TOLD ABOUT THIS OR AT LEAST GIVEN A CHOICE. Now it's like I have someone else's employee pack. ARE YOU GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?
  • edited January 2012
    I live in Germany and got mine yesterday. Apart from the delayed receipt I absolutely love the box. From the little insiders jokes to the quality of the prints and the feeling of a "real" starter-kit - it just rocks!
  • edited January 2012
    I was unhappy about the mailing box being the actual function deluxe box but I get where you're coming from in terms of "Hey, welcome to the company." My landlord got the box before I got home and now thinks I'm a genius.
  • edited January 2012
    For what it's worth, I was also fairly disappointed that the collector's kit was mailed as it was. (Really, I don't think "special banged-up permanently labeled collector's box" has ever been used as a marketing ploy before...)

I find it especially frustrating because -- as someone who makes replica props as a hobby -- I could easily have made my own "banged up" kit, were I so inclined. Mail it to myself, drop it in a box, and wait for the postal service (or whatever carrier I choose) to do its thing. I'm guessing it'd be pretty affordable, too (especially if I took all the stuff out first...)

Were I given a choice, I would definitely had requested a "pristine" box. Were I informed that ordering it at the same time as something else would've resulted in it shipping in an outer box, I would've almost certainly done that.
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2012
    Hate to join the complainers but yes, I was also annoyed by the box being shipped with no other protection. My box came with a big label with all kinds of printed text plus hand scribblings by the postal service people. And that label had apparently some ultra-strong glue, because I tried to remove it and all I ended with is a label with dozens of tiny pieces of it removed from all four corners, but the biggest part of the label is still there. I tried to do it very carefully, but still, the paper tears before being fully peeled. So, it's practically impossible to remove without ruining the box and now after trying to remove it, it looks terrible.

I'm thinking maybe Telltale could sell a JP rectangular sticker to cover this mess :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.