What copy protection (DRM) is used?

edited January 2012 in Jurassic Park
How is the copy protection done?
Do I get a serial like with the games before BTTF or is it like with BTTF that it has to be activated with the telltale server?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    How is the copy protection done?
    Do I get a serial like with the games before BTTF or is it like with BTTF that it has to be activated with the telltale server?

didnt they all get activated that way? I know I did nothing different with BTTF than I did with the past games.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    You always got a serial number in past games, but to my knowledge, it wasn't ever necessary to insert it anywhere. User name and password were enough to unlock the games. With the digital variant of Jurassic Park, it's exactly the same.

The DVD (deluxe) version of Jurassic Park does, as always, NOT require online activation.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2011
    The DVD (deluxe) version of Jurassic Park does, as always, NOT require online activation.
    Be careful when you say "as always". ;)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2011
    What, that DVD had online activation??
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Indeed it did (only the version from the Telltale Store, though)!
  • edited December 2011
    You can buy the game through Steam as well if you prefer!
  • edited December 2011
    You always got a serial number in past games, but to my knowledge, it wasn't ever necessary to insert it anywhere. User name and password were enough to unlock the games. With the digital variant of Jurassic Park, it's exactly the same.

But you could insert it. For example with Bone. No need for login or email. Just enter the serial and you can start playing. Even when being offline.
    Maniac536 wrote: »
    You can buy the game through Steam as well if you prefer!

With steam you are also dependent on the activation server.
    I don't like that at all.
    1. what if you are offline and want to play (happened to me recently)
    2. what if the activation server goes offline (maybe even permanently)
  • edited December 2011

With steam you are also dependent on the activation server.
    I don't like that at all.
    1. what if you are offline and want to play (happened to me recently)
    2. what if the activation server goes offline (maybe even permanently)

Activation servers can go down. Once you buy the game and have it downloaded if there's any connection problem you'll be able to start steam in offline mode and play your games. Of course u can't buy a game through the service while offline but nothings perfect.
  • edited December 2011
    Once a telltale game is activated on your computer, you dont need to put your login info again. It's actually a less intrusive copy protection than steam.
  • edited December 2011
    [...]Once you buy the game and have it downloaded if there's any connection problem you'll be able to start steam in offline mode and play your games.[...]

I'm still dependent on the steam server every time I format my PC or buy a new one.
    Once a telltale game is activated on your computer, you dont need to put your login info again. It's actually a less intrusive copy protection than steam.

Same as above. I'm buying a lot of games from gog.com. (also have some very old games on the shelf)
    Some of them would not be playable in their original form if they where dependent on an activation server because the original company got bankrupt, sold, closed, whatever.

And I'm not talking only about small companies.
    Anybody remembers Sierra...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm still dependent on the steam server every time I format my PC or buy a new one.
    True but you will have unlimited activations of your software which is a lot better than what most boxed pc games offer nowadays.
  • edited December 2011
    True but you will have unlimited activations of your software which is a lot better than what most boxed pc games offer nowadays.

True for now. It can change any time and you are at their mercy.
    I'm in the game long enough to know not to trust any remote DRM activation. I got burned in the past.
    In the end it is the paying customer who gets annoyed. The ones copying the games get them cracked and hassle free.

So I rather do not use these products then investing money and encouraging companies to continue with this course.

It's a pity, being a telltale customer since the first Sam and Max and having bought every of their games, my money will go to others now.
  • edited January 2012
    Steam isn't going down any time soon and if it does you can always download a crack. You own legal copy of the game, if something happens that doesn't allow you to activate the game then you have a right to do it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.