Question about bonus disk

edited February 2012 in Jurassic Park
Hi my question is.. if i bought the game on steam, am i eligible for the bonus disk if i show proof of purchase??

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I don't think you're eligible, but I could be wrong... however, Telltale are often very cool with things like that, so I'd contact them and ask.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited January 2012
    No you are not.
    Telltale makes more money from games sold from the Telltale Store than they do from Steam sales, so they can afford to reward their customers by offering them some perks (free disc - plus shipping, of course -, free soundtrack and audio commentary downloads - for Jurassic Park -, access to an insider forum,...) that they don't offer Steam buyers.
  • edited January 2012
    Also in the case of JP because of a stupid new policy there is only a DVD included if you bought the Deluxe Version - don't know, why this has changed :(
  • edited January 2012
    if I ask them about the bonus disc, i said some very bad things when i got banned, please forgive me telltale, also I would give it a shot
  • edited January 2012
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    Also in the case of JP because of a stupid new policy there is only a DVD included if you bought the Deluxe Version - don't know, why this has changed :(

Probably basic business sense; watching the forums nearly everyone seems to always either just got the downloads OR buy the deluxe edition. Because why pay to have a disc shipped when you can access the downloads anywhere anyway? So it was probably becoming financially un-viable to produce a basic version disc as it seems as if they probably did not sell. So they just keep the 2 formats that did sell: the basic download only and the deluxe download, disc and extra goodies.
  • edited January 2012
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    No you are not.
    Telltale makes more money from games sold from the Telltale Store than they do from Steam sales, so they can afford to reward their customers by offering them some perks (free disc - plus shipping, of course -, free soundtrack and audio commentary downloads - for Jurassic Park -, access to an insider forum,...) that they don't offer Steam buyers.

Care to post in my thread? http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28137

Or will you and everyone else at TTG continue to ignore another customer?
  • edited January 2012
    Lukedfrt wrote: »
    Care to post in my thread? http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28137

Or will you and everyone else at TTG continue to ignore another customer?

Macfly doesn't work for Telltale. He's just a mod.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Indeed. And I'm pretty sure that my signature makes mention of my non-Telltale employment...
  • edited January 2012
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Indeed. And I'm pretty sure that my signature makes mention of my non-Telltale employment...

And the job of a mod is to help and assist the community, i only asked a simple question weeks ago but no reply from a single mod or member of the TTG Team. I know the game was bad but i didn't think the forums could be this bad :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2012
    Lukedfrt, moderators on this forum CANNOT help you with purchase questions/questions about programming/etc. We don't know nor are privy to this information at all. Moderators' jobs involve board management- ie moving threads to the proper subforums or banning a user that infringes on policy (posting nudity or obscenities, for example).

That sort of question needs to go to Telltale staff, not us.
  • edited January 2012
    Try sending a PM right to Michael Parks that would probably be your best bet... Like divisionten said.. we just help keep the forums nice and fun for everyone.. we do not have anything to do with TTG other than that... But we do get a cool little Max head behind our names... so we have that going for us...
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/member.php?u=312109
  • edited February 2012
    Lukedfrt, moderators on this forum CANNOT help you with purchase questions/questions about programming/etc. We don't know nor are privy to this information at all. Moderators' jobs involve board management- ie moving threads to the proper subforums or banning a user that infringes on policy (posting nudity or obscenities, for example).

That sort of question needs to go to Telltale staff, not us.
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Try sending a PM right to Michael Parks that would probably be your best bet... Like divisionten said.. we just help keep the forums nice and fun for everyone.. we do not have anything to do with TTG other than that... But we do get a cool little Max head behind our names... so we have that going for us...
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/member.php?u=312109

Thanks for responding, this is all i wanted to know. I have PM'd Michael Parks and will wait for a response.
  • edited February 2012
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Probably basic business sense; watching the forums nearly everyone seems to always either just got the downloads OR buy the deluxe edition. Because why pay to have a disc shipped when you can access the downloads anywhere anyway? So it was probably becoming financially un-viable to produce a basic version disc as it seems as if they probably did not sell. So they just keep the 2 formats that did sell: the basic download only and the deluxe download, disc and extra goodies.

1) The Deluxe Edition costs more and only the DVD Version of the (most) games doesn't have DRM - that's why I always wanted a normal DVD additionally to the download version (I even told my friends to order their games at telltale of which I'm not so sure of anymore).

2) The main problem is not only that they've changed their policy. It is that they changed it without anouncing anything about it. I didn't even know that teh deluxe edition would be the only way to get a DRM free Disc Version before it costed 20$ more. Since I have to pay additional fees for import here in germany the deluxe version alone would cost me about 69$ + pp which I wouldn't even pay for any game of a regular release in store.

I am still very disappointed :(
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Was denn, ein Spiel kostet einfach so mehr, nur weil du es aus den USA importierst? Na, das ist ja mal vollllll ungerecht. ;)

It's true that the "missing" bonus disc wasn't announced when the regular edition went live. It might be true that long-time TTG fans have come to expect the bonus disc with a regular release, but still it is and always was a "bonus", hence the name, and was always advertised as such. I'd be disappointed if this becomes the norm, but we'll have to wait for the Walking Dead to see if JP was an exception or is supposedly the new "norm" (I am not counting Hector or Law & Order as "regular" TTG releases here; it should be respectively obvious why).
  • edited February 2012
    It might be true that long-time TTG fans have come to expect the bonus disc with a regular release, but still it is and always was a "bonus", hence the name, and was always advertised as such.

What does that even mean? I agree that if Telltale doesn't announce a disk at the time of purchase, they're under no obligation to produce one; customers cannot expect a disk for every series no matter how many previous series had them. Nor is it appropriate for Steam buyers to expect any kind of bonus offered to direct customers.

However, Telltale did announce a free-with-purchase (not including shipping) DVD for JP:TG. I specifically asked for confirmation/clarification and was told by a Telltale employee (in the very next post) that it would be free. There was no mention that DVD's were limited to deluxe editions -- the question, the answer, and FAQ as changed by that employee all referred to "digital" edition. I'm sorry, but there's no way around the fact that Telltale lied about this to non-deluxe buyers. And if I had actually bought the PC/Mac (instead of Xbox) version, you can bet there'd be a complaint filed with the appropriate CA state consumer protection agency.
  • edited February 2012
    I understand your frustration. I gave you the information that I had at the time, which was correct at the time but has since changed. If you see that as a lie, I don't want to say, but I am sorry.
  • edited February 2012
    I understand your frustration. I gave you the information that I had at the time, which was correct at the time but has since changed. If you see that as a lie, I don't want to say, but I am sorry.

If I see it as a lie? If I had bought the product, I would see it as fraud! This is not about your personal intentions at the time you made the statement. It's about Telltale taking responsibility for the information it and its employees provide, about failing to deliver product as originally described, and changing the terms of purchase after the customer's money has been taken.

Do you and Telltale really not get that there are consumer laws in place to address exactly this kind of situation, to prevent companies from saying one thing about a product and then claiming, oh, gee, sorry, that information wasn't "correct"?
  • edited February 2012
    There was also a confirmation from Alan.
  • edited February 2012
    thom-22 wrote: »
    If I see it as a lie? If I had bought the product, I would see it as fraud! This is not about your personal intentions at the time you made the statement. It's about Telltale taking responsibility for the information it and its employees provide, about failing to deliver product as originally described, and changing the terms of purchase after the customer's money has been taken.

Do you and Telltale really not get that there are consumer laws in place to address exactly this kind of situation, to prevent companies from saying one thing about a product and then claiming, oh, gee, sorry, that information wasn't "correct"?
    Not the first time this has happened, either (NutriSpecs anyone?). Sad that Telltale is now essentially taking no responsibility for living up to their promises to consumers.

Maybe that's why they make so many announcements via forum post--the statements are harder to find and get less publicity that way, so that it's harder to call them out when the promises are broken.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm mildly confused. Will there or will there not be a DVD for non deluxe buyers??

I too was under the impression that regular buyers were to get a DVD... And yes, there are plenty of laws which deals with this stuff. Especially in Europe, where the penalties are very steep.

Ask someone at EA. They learned this the hard way.

/E
  • edited February 2012
    MBQLasson wrote: »
    I'm mildly confused. Will there or will there not be a DVD for non deluxe buyers??

I too was under the impression that regular buyers were to get a DVD... And yes, there are plenty of laws which deals with this stuff. Especially in Europe, where the penalties are very steep.

Ask someone at EA. They learned this the hard way.

/E
    There will not be a DVD for non-deluxe buyers... but this is because Telltale is reneging on an earlier promise that there would be one.

Those laws you talk about might apply to this situation....
  • edited February 2012
    God you Drama queens Telltale have not done anything illegal or broken any promises.

It's basic common sense that when employees post about and in-development feature or game their statements elude to CURRENT plans, but as with any dev process plans are subject to change as things progress.
  • edited February 2012
    It's basic common sense that when employees post about and in-development feature or game their statements elude to CURRENT plans, but as with any dev process plans are subject to change as things progress.

Nice try, except we're not talking about an "in-development" product here. Look at the dates on the posts I linked above -- the information about the DVD being free was provided on the day of release and the first day on which it was possible to buy the non-deluxe version. My post was clearly a pre-purchase question about an available product, ie. a product for which Telltale was already taking customers' money.
  • edited February 2012
    First, don't stoop to personal attacks. It doesn't help your argument.

More pertinently, this isn't a mere gameplay feature Telltale has dropped. It's an actual product that the company isn't making available, but which people were told early on they could have, if they plunked down money in advance. Plus, the expectation of a DVD surely served as an incentive to make purchases that otherwise wouldn't have occurred.

So, Telltale should probably offer refunds or other remuneration to people who feel disappointed and who expected a season disc when they bought JP. Otherwise, I think European consumer protection laws might actually apply here.
  • edited February 2012
    Just because the order process was open doesn't mean its out of dev.
    They were still developing the publication methods/arrangements.

Also no-ones gonna take a case about not getting a disc, that was never legally promised, seriously. It's not even like you PAID for the disc, you never pay for the disc with telltale, the disc is free (+shipping) if they do one. So you only ever bought the game, which you have received. You never even purchased anything that referred to having a disc, you bought the season download, which is exactly what you got. They never put up a buying option for a basic disc, only for a download game and later a deluxe edition with disc and extras.

Sure some staff might of said there should be a disc, but thing were not set in stone they were still developing the publication options and as I already said anything staff tell you before something has occurred should be taken as the CURRENT plan and in no way set in stone.
  • edited February 2012
    Was denn, ein Spiel kostet einfach so mehr, nur weil du es aus den USA importierst? Na, das ist ja mal vollllll ungerecht. ;)

Deinen Sarkasmus kannst Du Dir gerne schenken. JP ist wirklich nicht das erste Spiel was ich bei TTG gekauft habe und ein Grund für den Kauf bei TTG war immer, daß ich am Ende eine DRM freie DVD zum Sammeln erhalte. Gerade weil es nicht das erste Spiel ist, welches ich hier gekauft habe, hat sich das übliche Prozedere aber auch eingeprägt (wobei ich sehr wohl weiss, was mich der Import kostet - ist ja eben nicht mein erster). Hätte ich vorher gewusst, daß (das erste Mal bei einer regulären TTG VÖ) nur die Deluxe Edition eine DVD enthält, hätte ich diese gekauft, als sie noch zum Vorbestellpreis zu kaufen war! Ich rede also nicht davon, daß ein Import teuer ist, sondern davon, daß ich mit der richtigen Information die richtige Entscheidung hätte treffen können. Nun ist die DE aber mal eben 20$ teurer geworden, so daß ein Kauf schlichtweg indiskutabel ist. Mir geht es also, um das noch einmal eindeutig zu erklären, um die mangelhaften Informationen. Gerade, WEIL es das ERSTE Mal ist, daß hier anders entschieden wurde, musste man damit rechnen, daß ein Prozedere wie üblich durchgeführt wird.
  • edited February 2012
    Just because the order process was open doesn't mean its out of dev.
    They were still developing the publication methods/arrangements.

Also no-ones gonna take a case about not getting a disc, that was never legally promised, seriously. It's not even like you PAID for the disc, you never pay for the disc with telltale, the disc is free (+shipping) if they do one. So you only ever bought the game, which you have received. You never even purchased anything that referred to having a disc, you bought the season download, which is exactly what you got. They never put up a buying option for a basic disc, only for a download game and later a deluxe edition with disc and extras.

Sure some staff might of said there should be a disc, but thing were not set in stone they were still developing the publication options and as I already said anything staff tell you before something has occurred should be taken as the CURRENT plan and in no way set in stone.

Although I think that you are correct it doesn't change the fact that Telltale shouldn't have given wrong infos. It is no wonder that some of the buyers are angry now. I myself am considering to stop buying here because it seems that I cannot be sure to get what I expect even if I ask in the forum. I consider this simply bad customer support - sorry Telltale. I was always happy here but this just went wrong for me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.