Why do people constantly slam this game?

edited October 2012 in Jurassic Park
I’ve seen so many people slagging off this game, and frankly I just don’t understand it. This game has a ace plot line, as well as the best graphics a JP game has ever had!

I have my suspicious that people only wanted a good-graphic version of Trespasser. Telltale made it very, very clear back when they were in earlier development, that this would NOT be a dinosaur shooting game, and more like a sort of interactive movie. And so, they automatically blame the newest (and actually one of the best) Jurassic Park game, that it isn’t what they wanted.

And anyway, a dinosaur shooting game wouldn’t make any sense, in Jurassic Park. On the whole of Isla Nublar, there is a total of one T.rex, and very few Raptor’s left now, and it’s nearly the same for Isla Sorna. If they where, to say, make a Jurassic Park shooting game, people would then complain that it was poorly constructed, what with there being faaarrrr to many carnivores. There are two choices when it comes to Jurassic Park Game’s: Well put together and in-depth plots, or plot less shooting.

I’ve also heard the term ‘Lazy Development’ passed around rather frequently. This also, is incorrect, as almost as much work would have been put into Telltales Game, as would have, say, a good-graphic version of Trespasser. The T.rex roar was just a genuine mistake, I’d like to see some of these people who talk bad about the game because of this make a better game. And then of course, there’s the small delay on the games release, which I would like to point out, Telltale made up with releasing a Deluxe Edition of the game. (And I’d like to point out, also tied a few loose ends up from the movie, like the whole size issue and frill of the Dilo’s, and Triceratops/Torosaurus situation.)

There’s then whole ‘Cut Episode’ thing, but let’s keep in mind the reason this episode was cut was to get it released sooner, because we wouldn’t stop bugging them about it.

And that’s it, if you were expecting a shooter game, despite everything that you have been told by the producers, then you sir (or madam), are a nitwit.

That’s my small rant over; I just wanted to make it very clear to Telltale, that there are some people out there who appreciate their work. (And would also, be very, very greatful for a sequel game! :) )

Comments

• edited March 2012
    It's not because we were expecting an FPS (well, for most of us, anyway). It's because we've played Telltale's past games and know they're capable of better than this.

I like adventure games. I like the intellectual challenge, I like the emphasis on story, and I like the element of exploration. The whole reason I started calling myself a Telltale fan (apart from laughing my ass off at their Sam and Max revival and SBCG4AP) is because they're the biggest developer trying to keep adventure games alive in a time when the genre has nearly faded into obscurity. Most people don't even know what an adventure game is, and unfortunately, ever since BttF these people seem to be Telltale's new target audience.

Telltale's Jurassic Park was a travesty. I'm not saying that because it's not an FPS, but it's not an adventure game. But mentioning FPSes makes me think of an analogy. You know what it'd be like if this game was an FPS? You would stand completely still, unable to move around and explore where you are at all, holding a gun out. Occasionally, a dinosaur would appear, and you would need to click your mouse once to shoot it. Then this would repeat forever.

Would you call a game like that an FPS? It has the bare minimum necessary to be part of the genre, yet it's so...soulless that you'd feel ashamed saying so. That's what Telltale's JP was as an adventure game. The one or two puzzles per episode were piss easy. The QTEs were a paper-thin attempt to give an illusion of difficulty. There is almost no exploration. You can't click on stuff and get interesting dialogue, for the most part. You can't even walk. Compare that to Sam and Max, where clicking just about every single doodad in their office gets you a joke. Hell, there isn't even a consistent player character. Instead you go through brief moments of "controlling" the entire cast, including the villains. What character represents me, the player? I've spent a decent amount of time controlling Yoder, so why is he ordering an attack on the island? Shouldn't I get a say in that? This game literally ignores the player's presence. It doesn't care about you.

And don't defend it by saying "It's an interactive movie, like Heavy Rain!" Heavy Rain made up for the limited gameplay with a little thing called non-linearity. Your choices affected the story, meaning the game engaged the player by having his actions matter. In Jurassic Park, either you do the QTEs right and the game moves forward, or you fail, die, and try again. Oh, and in Heavy Rain you could walk, and it was consistent about who you played as when. Should probably throw that in.

The story was nice, I'll give the game that, but here's the thing. In a video game, even adventure games where story is generally more important than it is in other genres, the story is not your top priority. I'm not saying story isn't important. It can make a good game better, but it can't make a bad game good. All the effort Telltale spent on the plot is meaningless if I'm not having fun playing through it. I should add that some of the best adventure games (Zork, Myst, King's Quest) have had borderline non-existent plots. Why is it forgivable? ...Because it's fun to play.

The worst thing about Jurassic Park, though, is that it was all intentional. It's not like Telltale can't make a good game. They've done it numerous times in the past, when they had a smaller budget and staff than they do now. They thought your average gamer couldn't handle a proper adventure game (which, to be fair, is closer to the truth than it should be), so they deliberately made a subpar product and slapped the Jurassic Park license on it in hopes that would sell copies by itself. For added irony, they failed even harder at appealing to the casual crowd than they did to adventure fans. Like you said, they wanted an FPS because that's pretty much all they play.

You know why Telltale was founded? A bunch of LucasArts' adventure game designers were pissed that they cancelled Sam and Max: Freelance Police. Why did LucasArts do that? Because the best adventure game ever wouldn't sell as much as an average action game. Especially if you put a really popular pre-existing name on it, like Star Wars. Telltale was founded because LucasArts decided, given the choice, they'd rather make a profitable game than a good one. And now Telltale's making the same mistake.

Anyway, that's why we didn't like JP. Sorry for the wall of text, but...this game kind of rubs me the wrong way. Hopefully Telltale will return to their senses soon.

(P.S.: An FPS doesn't have to be "plotless." Look at Half-Life, or Deus Ex. Hell, even Halo, which I'm not a fan of, has a decent emphasis on story.)
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2012
    And don't defend it by saying "It's an interactive movie, like Heavy Rain!" Heavy Rain made up for the limited gameplay with a little thing called non-linearity. Your choices affected the story, meaning the game engaged the player by having his actions matter. In Jurassic Park, either you do the QTEs right and the game moves forward, or you fail, die, and try again. Oh, and in Heavy Rain you could walk, and it was consistent about who you played as when. Should probably throw that in.
    It wasn't advertised properly by Telltale (who advertised it as an adventure game and as a heavy Rain style game, of which it really is neither (it's a little bit of both, but what's there is a really a scaled down version of what's available in those games and it's a disservice to gamers to advertise it that way).

It's a QTE game like Dragon's Lair or Space Ace. If you view it for what it is (and you like those kind of games, which I do), it's a lot of fun. It didn't push the envelope of what a QTE game is, but when held up to the classics of the genre, I think it holds up pretty well.
    You know why Telltale was founded? A bunch of LucasArts' adventure game designers were pissed that they cancelled Sam and Max: Freelance Police. Why did LucasArts do that? Because the best adventure game ever wouldn't sell as much as an average action game. Especially if you put a really popular pre-existing name on it, like Star Wars. Telltale was founded because LucasArts decided, given the choice, they'd rather make a profitable game than a good one. And now Telltale's making the same mistake.
    They never intended to make just adventure games. Their very first game was a poker game, and their blog was comprised of text examples of games which were RPGs (Blades of Stenchtar) before any game was released. They've made adventure games (both classic and casual), puzzle games, card games, and now QTE games. They definitely have to get better at advertising what genre these games really are (and I'm sure they will since they learned their lesson from Back to the Future and Jurassic Park), but each game has been enjoyable if you understand what genre it is (and like the games of that genre, of course).
  • edited March 2012
    Because Bananas arent vegetables and so arent we! Thats why! Nuff said!
  • edited March 2012
    Oh and to answer your question:

I'm a huge JP-Fan, I'm not an adventure-fan in particular, I dont care which games telltale made or should make, I dont even think games need to be fun or challenging, most puzzles in adventure-games i played only held me back in experiencing the game.

But I also dislike the game like many others.

Why? Because it lacks a MAJOR feature which videogames happen to have and movies dont: Immersion and Involvement!

I never had a feeling of doing something. I pushed a lot of buttons but thats nothing I want to do. I wanna be in Jurassic Park, explore, move, interact, just anything that gives me a feeling of doing something, of being in a virtual world. In this basic point JP-TG already fails. Even Dear Esther uses the medium more successfully and has MUCH more immersion.

You just watch an animated movie and push buttons to let it go on. Feelings are evoked solely through movie language, with some puzzles here and there and loads of QTEs slapped on top of it to make it look like a game. The QTEs may be meant to underline the feelings the movie creates, but that doesnt work when sometimes they are so abstract that they dont even try to imitate the actions on screen like Heavy Rain did or demand so much attention that you barely can see whats happening on screen.

But games can evoke feelings by themselves. When someone adapts a book into a movie, the movie director not only reads out the book and shows some pictures in the background and calls it a "lyric movie". He translates it into the medium, because movies can do more than words. Same should be done when adapting a movie into a videogame. Thats why this was a lazy and uninspired development. They meant well, but werent able to pull it off and decided to basically just make a movie, apparently not knowing how to translate it into a videogame. But there already was a good movie, a proper game would have been nice... And about resource-issues: when you know you dont have enough money to make a game which fits the franchise, then why even bother?

Heavy Rain does well because QTEs are only a tool among others to let the player make choices and give him CONTROL to experience and affect the events (and not only pointless details). Telltales approach is a brilliant example on how NOT to do it, removing any control and involvement and instead turning the QTEs into a main and only gameplay-mechanic, trying to make it fun and challenging (and fail at that also) and meanwhile showing a movie.

So yeah, JP-TG neither appealed to adventure-fans, nor to average gamers, and hardly satisfied fans of the movie, at least after the nostalgia dust settled. And trust me, I hate to say this, I WANTED to like it, its hard to realise this as a JP-fan.

PS: I also completely agree with everything RAnthonyMahan said about the lack of a consistent player character!
  • edited March 2012
    I have seen all the Jurassic Park movies,i have played a good majority of the games from the sega genesis,super nintendo,and sony playstation,none were first person shooters and yet out of all the games,this one was the worst.

(Btw best Jurassic Park game i played was oddly the sega cd one,and thats also a point and click game but much better then this one because you can explore the island and even see dinosaur videos by bob barker who was even in the second jurassic park movie)

The storyline?It was crap,not enough answers,not enough excitment,lack of different dinosaurs,the magic was just not there,spielberg was a master of creation when it came to appeasing an auidence building more upon the original books and expanding upon them.

80% of this game was me pressing a button to run away from or sneak around dinosaurs,not very exciting in the least bit,i would have loved to have been able to explore the island and see the exibits,even a ride in a jurassic park tour would have been welcome.

So yeah if people enjoyed this game all i can say is their the kinda gamers with low standards and minimal experience when it comes to gaming,most likely the same kinda people who liked final fantasy 13 because the battle system was automatically done for them and they didnt have to explore just go straight ahead,it's lazy gaming it's not a challange,and neither was this game.

I can say honestly i would have rather played a first person shooter jurassic park game then this games result,Metroid Prime is a good example of a game going from mostly sidescrollers like many Jurassic Park games,to a first person shooter exploration game with nearly 50+hours of gameplay,for this game we had 4 hours...4 hours of me falling asleep and seeing the T-rex every 10 mins.

And the ending...so unepic,we jump in a boat escape the rex and leave...
    when i compare that to the endings of the first 2 jurassic park movies,there is no comparison it doesn't hold a candle to them.

There is just too little this game offers,i could watch this game on youtube for "Free" and get all i wanted right there without even having to a pay dime.
  • edited March 2012
    The single make-or-break issue for me is that the beginning of episode 4 is absolutely unplayable on my PS3, as it always lags at a step in a QTE where it's either "Hit the button or insta-death". Happened even after a redownload and install. I can live with the game's other flaws, as I play for enjoyment and am not all that concerned with the differences between entertainment mediums. Once in a while, I'm alright if a game trespasses on bad SyFy TV movie territory like this game does. It's a mindless way to pass the time. But the sheer lack of support for the title and bug-testing before release has turned me off from purchasing another TT game.
  • edited March 2012
    Go and look at some reviews, then you will understand why this game is very poor.
    Poor story, poor graphics and poor gameplay(If you can even call it gameplay)
  • edited March 2012
    The story was great and the characters were likeable. I would rate the plot as better than the second and third films. So the problem wasn't with the story.

The problem was that a lot of people were having poor frame rate issues as well as some other issues that were ruining their game experience. Also, there were quite a few who did not agree with the QTE gameplay. Also, like stated above, unlike Heavy Rain which the gameplay was inspired by there were no altering paths. The story would always be the same.

That's why the game is constantly bashed. However, I enjoyed the game. I like the story, didn't mind the QTE's, and apparantly I had less glitch issues with the game than everyone else. Overall, I enjoyed it as an interactive story. But the general gamers didn't want an interactive story they wanted something more.
  • edited March 2012
    Welcome to Telltale young one.

Everyone is pissed over one thing, sadly JP got bit. People dont care that Telltale is actually nice to their fanbase and make a game, they just call telltale out. It saddens me, but many game companies are getting this. Even Valve!
  • edited March 2012
    I don't understand why people slammed BTTF: The Game, but they did. Honestly, with JP, I can easily see why someone wouldn't like it.
  • edited March 2012

Everyone is pissed over one thing, sadly JP got bit. People dont care that Telltale is actually nice to their fanbase and make a game, they just call telltale out. It saddens me, but many game companies are getting this. Even Valve!

Welcome to Telltale. That's funny. I'm betting you've never played any of Telltale's pre-BttF games, have you?

And while I definitely appreciate that Telltale pays attention to their fans (at least compared to the rest of the gaming industry), that doesn't excuse making a subpar product.
  • edited March 2012
    Welcome to Telltale. That's funny. I'm betting you've never played any of Telltale's pre-BttF games, have you?

And while I definitely appreciate that Telltale pays attention to their fans (at least compared to the rest of the gaming industry), that doesn't excuse making a subpar product.

Mmm lets make accusations without proof, young detective. I have played Sam and Max, and Bone, and Monkey Island.

If you didn't like Jurassic Park, it's fine. But for constant slander? One review is enough, not backtalking and insulting people for buying the game.
  • edited March 2012

If they are so good then why dont they fix their broken games? They are as bad as any other company.
  • edited March 2012
    Lukedfrt wrote: »
    If they are so good then why dont they fix their broken games? They are as bad as any other company.

Why doesn't valve fix bugs in their game? Why doesn't any other company fix bugs in their game?
  • edited March 2012
    Why doesn't valve fix bugs in their game? Why doesn't any other company fix bugs in their game?

He did say TTG are as bad as any others that doesn't.
  • edited March 2012

I did mention that other companies are just as bad if you read my post.
    If TTG cared about their customers they would fix broken games, im not asking for Jurassic Park to be a different game im asking them to make the game play as it should.
  • edited March 2012
    I did mention that other companies are just as bad if you read my post.
    If TTG cared about their customers they would fix broken games, im not asking for Jurassic Park to be a different game im asking them to make the game play as it should.

TTG does care for it's customers. If they didn't, they would have made you pay full price to reorder the digital edition for JP. But they didn't, they even gave you a coupon incase you didn't want JP, and wanted another game.
  • edited March 2012
    TTG does care for it's customers. If they didn't, they would have made you pay full price to reorder the digital edition for JP. But they didn't, they even gave you a coupon incase you didn't want JP, and wanted another game.

That doesn't make them care for their customers, because they wouldn't release shabby products if they did.
    This will soon catch up with them, i wonder how many people will think twice before even thinking about buying the walking dead after playing this mess, I for one wont be buying it.
  • edited March 2012
    That doesn't make them care for their customers

I think you mean to say, "That doesn't mean they care about their customers", which is wrong. They essentially gave people that pre-ordered the game for free. They didn't have to do that. I'd like you to point out any company that would do that.

As for "fixing bugs", most game companies don't do that unless it's an online game or if there's a huge amount of people unable to play it because of "bugs", such as Bethesda having to patch Skyrim just so PS3 owners could play the game or Nintendo releasing a fix for Skyward Sword that fixes a save file if you happen to get a glitch that breaks the game and doesn't allow you to press forward.

Jurassic Park and Back to the Future both suffer from being licensed games. That means they have to put them out as soon as possible, which sometimes means that glitches happen.
  • edited March 2012
    Jurassic Park and Back to the Future both suffer from being licensed games. That means they have to put them out as soon as possible, which sometimes means that glitches happen.

That only applies to movie-based games. As in recent movies where the game's development is rushed so it can be released the same time as the movie.

The reason why Telltale rushes their games is to meet the demands of the episodic format. Which it seems more and more like they should abandon.
  • edited March 2012
    As for "fixing bugs", most game companies don't do that unless it's an online game or if there's a huge amount of people unable to play it because of "bugs", such as Bethesda having to patch Skyrim just so PS3 owners could play the game or Nintendo releasing a fix for Skyward Sword that fixes a save file if you happen to get a glitch that breaks the game and doesn't allow you to press forward.

They are all excuses, the point is TTG released Jurassic Park on PS3 and it doesn't work properly, if they actually gave a damn about their customers they would fix these bugs or at the very least keep them updated on the forum.
    I have messaged Michael Parks twice and do i have a reply? No.
  • edited March 2012
    I have messaged Michael Parks twice and do i have a reply? No.

That is flat-out untrue. I've addressed your concerns multiple times, and I've told you repeatedly that I would post an update as soon as I had one.
  • edited March 2012
    Luke, just give it up man. We've made our points clear in the relevant threads. Harping on it more is just going to be considered trolling and piss off Telltale. It's obvious that they've seen what you have to say, and you're only risking getting banned by posting stuff like this in every thread. My only problem is the gamebreaking PS3 framerate issue, but you seem to hate the game all-around when one looks at all of your posts.

The only way to get legitimate issues for the game fixed is to act civil and hope that Telltale will be kind enough to make their product fully available to customers who bought it. It's not an unreasonable demand, but posting anti-TTG comments in every thread is going to make them even more disinclined to fix their game than they already are.

"Why would we want to fix our game for a guy like this who acts like such a know-it-all asshole?"
  • edited March 2012
    Its the internet and people ingeneral im almost sad to call myself a gamer now days use to be a time gamers where content with their games they would play them get immersed beat their game and move on now days every game and i mean EVEYGAME has nothing but hateful spiteful spoiled gamers whos eem to think everygame needs to be catered around them. Make you wonder why they dont get up and go make their own games since they obviously know whats best for a game now days.
  • edited March 2012
    Goldrock wrote: »
    Its the internet and people ingeneral im almost sad to call myself a gamer now days use to be a time gamers where content with their games they would play them get immersed beat their game and move on now days every game and i mean EVEYGAME has nothing but hateful spiteful spoiled gamers whos eem to think everygame needs to be catered around them. Make you wonder why they dont get up and go make their own games since they obviously know whats best for a game now days.

Yes, well, that's what's happened when gaming became more of a lifestyle than a hobby. This is due both to gamers themselves and many developers. The Mass Effect series is a perfect example of this. Many young people have played through those games for a significant portion of their lives, and now they're complaining about the illogical and dismal endings. I'm not saying that they're wrong, but it just shows how much gaming has changed. The involved mindset that many of us are in is due to the addition of complicated continuing stories between games in a series, making them feel personal to us. This paradigm moves on to games that are just one-shots, as is the case with much of the criticism of story in the Jurassic Park game. It's bad, yeah, but I'm not sure that it's worth criticizing or avoiding playing, as I did get a certain amount of entertainment from it up until Episode 4 glitched out to the point of unplayability for me.
  • edited March 2012
    Goldrock wrote: »

That's because back then...

1. The Internet wasn't mainstream yet. Complainers still existed, but they were a lot harder to spot.

2. Video games as a whole were mainly directed towards children, who tend not to have discriminating tastes and will like almost anything you show them.

People weren't always content back then, though. My eight-year-old self was swearing up a storm after renting Superman 64 from Blockbuster. :p
  • edited March 2012
    That is flat-out untrue. I've addressed your concerns multiple times, and I've told you repeatedly that I would post an update as soon as I had one.

I've seen you reply to my thread twice, and the last post was about a month ago. You should have said ages ago that their will be no patch because that is clearly the decision TTG have made and that is why i will never purchase another product from them again. They are a joke.
  • edited March 2012
    I've seen you reply to my thread twice, and the last post was about a month ago. You should have said ages ago that their will be no patch because that is clearly the decision TTG have made and that is why i will never purchase another product from them again. They are a joke.

Did he say that? No, he said he'd let you know if there were any updates. It seems to me that you're determined to hate them no matter what, so take your troll *** outta here, mmkay?
  • edited March 2012
    Did he say that? No, he said he'd let you know if there were any updates. It seems to me that you're determined to hate them no matter what, so take your troll *** outta here, mmkay?

Love how im the one at fault here :rolleyes:
    I pay money for a broken game but im the criminal, good luck with more money grabbing from the walking dead game TellTale. Cant wait too see you lose more customers and go bankrupt! :D
  • edited March 2012
    Jesus Christ, let go. I'm upset over a lot of Telltale's recent decisions myself, but I don't seize every chance I can to whine about it. You make me miss the more subtle anger of lattsam wanting the Hit the Road VAs back.
  • edited March 2012
    Jesus Christ, let go.

But why should i?
    Im not in the wrong here.
  • edited March 2012
    But why should i?
    Im not in the wrong here.

No, you're not wrong, but...uh...did you ever see The Big Lebowski?
  • edited March 2012
    It apparently costs upwards of $40,000 to release a patch on the Xbox 360 and PS3. I seriously doubt Telltale's going to sink that much money into this game anymore.
  • edited March 2012
    It apparently costs upwards of $40,000 to release a patch on the Xbox 360 and PS3. I seriously doubt Telltale's going to sink that much money into this game anymore.

Thats beside the point though.
    The game should not have been released in the state that it was, and the only way they could redeem themselves was if they patched it.
    So they are the one's at fault and they can't blame not releasing a patch due to costs.
  • edited March 2012
    Thats beside the point though.
    The game should not have been released in the state that it was, and the only way they could redeem themselves was if they patched it.
    So they are the one's at fault and they can't blame not releasing a patch due to costs.

Yes they can. If a patch seriously costs that much, then I can definitely see why TellTale wouldn't do that. They're not going to be making any further money off of Jurassic Park, so why spend money that won't help them out financially?
  • edited March 2012
    Yes they can. If a patch seriously costs that much, then I can definitely see why TellTale wouldn't do that. They're not going to be making any further money off of Jurassic Park, so why spend money that won't help them out financially?

Well if they dont want to do it because of finances, they shouldn't have released a game that doesn't work.
  • edited March 2012
    Well if they dont want to do it because of finances, they shouldn't have released a game that doesn't work.

Doesn't work?

*checks* It must work well enough for there to be reviews of the game. And did it ever occur to you that it might be harder for TT to "fix" the PS3/360 versions?
  • edited March 2012
    Doesn't work?

*checks* It must work well enough for there to be reviews of the game. And did it ever occur to you that it might be harder for TT to "fix" the PS3/360 versions?

Well my PS3 version of the game has frame rate problems every 10 seconds, that is a product that does not work as it was intended to do. So yes.

And boo hoo for Telltale it might be hard for them to fix the PS3 version? Well they shouldn't have released it in the first place then! They are the ones at fault here, i purchased a product that does not work as it should and they wont fix it. What a joke.
  • edited March 2012
    Well my PS3 version of the game has frame rate problems every 10 seconds, that is a product that does not work as it was intended to do. So yes.

And boo hoo for Telltale it might be hard for them to fix the PS3 version? Well they shouldn't have released it in the first place then! They are the ones at fault here, i purchased a product that does not work as it should and they wont fix it. What a joke.

Are all the PS3 users having serious frame rate issues with the game or is it only you?
  • edited March 2012
    I’ve seen so many people slagging off this game, and frankly I just don’t understand it. This game has a ace plot line, as well as the best graphics a JP game has ever had!

I'm curious to know what your graphics comment has to do with anything. I mean, the last Jurassic Park game was, what, on the PS2? Of course a game made the better part of a decade later is going to look better. The graphics aren't awful or anything, but they hardly look stellar compared to most other games of this generation, either.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.