Dying in telltale games

edited December 2004 in General Chat
I'm not sure if this hes been asked before but will there be dying in telltale adventure games, that is if you do something wrong your character will die in an amusing manner and you will have to revert to a saved game?

Comments

• edited November 2004
    To be honest, dying in adventures is oftern really bad,(not always). Like in Beneath a sky of steel. Towards the end you walk past a hole in a wall and a monster pulls you in and eats you. How was I supposed to know that was going to happen, and my last save was 1/2 an hour ago. I prefered the death system in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantas were they gave you a chance to talk your way out of it, and most of the time a chance to beat your opponet to death.
  • edited November 2004
    heh, you never played any of the kings quest/space quest games then eh?
  • edited November 2004
    you can also die in LSL1
  • edited November 2004
    I think the best system is in Zak Mckracken, where you can only die if you do something really stupid.
  • edited November 2004
    you can also die in LSL1

That's right. I think you get AIDS from a hooker.
  • edited November 2004
    you can also die in LSL1

That's right. I think you get AIDS from a hooker.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be AIDS since you drop dead moments after intercourse.
  • edited November 2004
    Aaaarrggghh... in LSL1 you die in the first scene, when you try to cross the street... that's why I quit Sierra Annonyances Adventures before I ever started them...
  • edited November 2004
    lsl1 was funny
    the rest sucked
  • edited November 2004
    Are Sierra adventure games any good?
  • edited November 2004
    Are Sierra adventure games any good?

Depends, personally I tend to enjoy them more then LA titles, especially the older parser-driven adventures. But some people are a bit put off by frequent deaths and ongoing sequels.

Still, even if Sierra Quests are not your thing, these titles are a must (IMHO) for any serious adventurer:

Gabriel Knight (all three chapters)
    Leisure Suit Larry 7
    Space Quest 6
    King Quest 6
    Mystery House - err scrap the last one :)
  • edited November 2004
    Gabriel Knight 1 is quite good... I don't like any other games by Sierra.

Old Man Murray blamed Gabriel Knight 3 for the death of the whole Adventure genre: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

Quote from his text about Gabriel Knight 3:
    Gabriel Knight must disguise himself as a man called Mosley in order to fool a French moped rental clerk into renting him the shop's only motorcycle.

In order to construct the costume, Gabriel Knight must manufacture a fake moustache. Utilizing the style of logic adventure game creators share with morons, Knight must do this even though Moseley does not have a moustache.

So in order to even begin formulating your strategy, you have to follow daredevil of logic Jane Jensen as she pilots Gabriel Knight 3 right over common sense, like Evel Knievel jumping Snake River Canyon. Maybe Jane Jensen was too busy reading difficult books by P�r Lagerkvist to catch what stupid Quake players learned from watching the A-Team: The first step in making a costume to fool people into thinking you're a man without a moustache, is not to construct a fake moustache.

Still, you might think that you could yank some hair from one of the many places it grows out of your own body and attach it to your lip with the masking tape in your inventory. But obviously, Ms. Jensen felt that an insane puzzle deserved a genuinely deranged solution. In order to manufacture the moustache, you must attach the masking tape to a hole at the base of a toolshed then chase a cat through the hole. In the real world, such as the one that stupid people like me and Adrian Carmack use to store our televisions, this would result in a piece of masking tape with a few cat hairs stuck to it, or a cat running around with tape on its back. Apparently, in Jane Jensen's exciting, imaginative world of books, masking tape is some kind of powerful neodymium supermagnet for cat hair.

Remember how shocked you were at the end of the Sixth Sense when it turned out Bruce Willis was a robot? Well, check this out: At the end of this puzzle, you have to affix the improbable cat hair moustache to your lip with maple syrup! Someone ought to give Jane Jensen a motion picture deal and also someone should CAT scan her brain.

Who killed Adventure Games? I think it should be pretty clear at this point that Adventure Games committed suicide.

This sums it up pretty good for me.
  • edited November 2004
    I've read that before, anyway who goes through a difficult series of puzzles to steal some cats hair so they can wear it as a mustache and more importantly, who would believe it was a real mustache?
  • edited November 2004
    i never got the chance to play GK3 :(( , the cameria moves to fast for me to enjoy the game......damn fast computers!!!!!! :-L
  • edited November 2004
    is GK3 a Dos game?

maybe cyou could use DOSBOX ;)
  • edited November 2004
    Nah, it's Windows... I played it on a 1.7GHz Centrino without any speed problems, tho'.
  • edited December 2004
    :S
  • edited December 2004
    GK3 is awesome, though a few puzzles are certainly convoluted. ;)
  • edited December 2004
    GK3 is awesome, though a few puzzles are certainly convoluted. ;)

never played it :(
  • edited December 2004
    dying in adventure games. I still like the classic LA view of not dying in these games. kings quest III? maybe annoyed the crap out of me once saving in the wrong spot cause I didn't have what I needed to avoid dying and it would take me hours to get back to the spot to pick up the item I needed. Its all about solving the puzzles for me. I forget could you die in loom or not? speaking of loom it would be nice to see another one.......
  • edited December 2004
    I would have to say that Loom is my favorite game; and as much as I'd like to see a sequel I don't think it could be done correctly. I've also played Loom enough to know that you can't die in it.
  • edited December 2004
    I would have to say that Loom is my favorite game; and as much as I'd like to see a sequel I don't think it could be done correctly. I've also played Loom enough to know that you can't die in it.

i never played loom :(

only know it from Money Island,with that shameless atvertising pirate B-) :(|)
  • edited December 2004
    loom can be found on types of sites that we are not allowed to list =P. I suggest you go find it. You won't be disappointed
  • edited December 2004
    Loom is great. It has a very unique setting and feeling.
    Only annoying thing is all the 'my first music-lesson'-style note-patterns you have to remember.
  • edited December 2004
    Nice website, Alucard, BTW! :))
  • edited December 2004
    in my signature is also a nice site :D
  • edited December 2004
    in my signature is also a nice site :D

Ooooh, it's new! :D
    But it's not MS-DOS 6.2, like Alucard's site... :p
  • edited December 2004
    did you guys ever play Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist. it was a sierra game. however you could die by stepping in an ant hill and probably a lot of other ways that i dont remember.
  • edited December 2004
    did you guys ever play Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist. it was a sierra game. however you could die by stepping in an ant hill and probably a lot of other ways that i dont remember.

An ant hill?

Now, see, dying in games because you did something completely ridiculous that would get you killed in real life--like, say, jumping off a cliff without an umbrella--I can understand (sort of). But an ant hill?
  • edited December 2004
    In CMI you can jump off a cliff,not use an umbrella and live, in fact, you can't die.
  • edited December 2004
    That's what I like about Lucasarts adventure games; they encourage you to think about the puzzles rather than worry about dying if you do something wrong (or if you move to a different point on the screen which seems the case with Sierra games).
  • edited December 2004
    in MI 1 I remember them poking fun at Sierra. Rubber trees saved you.
    I think that allowing you to try out some stupid things is a good chance for some humor in the game. I remember again from MI trying to do some stupid things and getting a couple funny replies back aside from the normal " I'm not putting that in my pants"
  • edited December 2004
    In CMI you can jump off a cliff,not use an umbrella and live, in fact, you can't die.

Yes, that's because they made fun of the crappy Sierra-games in that scene. They even used the standard-Sierra-font for the 'You died'-message. ;)
  • edited December 2004

I never managed to finish this game, the last scene (fight with a "boss") led allways to death for me, no matter how hard i tried.

There are btw a lot of ways to die (intoxicated by horses fart gazes, falling off a clif, burnt in a fire etc... )

I think LA post-SCUMM V1 way is the best by limiting or eliminating death, i hate to repeatedly die in an adventure because of a too twisted puzzle or bad timing/reflex...

Btw, IIRC monkey island 1 is the only monkey in wich you die (-at the canon screen- not counting false death of CMI) am i wrong ?
  • edited December 2004
    An ant hill?

Now, see, dying in games because you did something completely ridiculous that would get you killed in real life--like, say, jumping off a cliff without an umbrella--I can understand (sort of). But an ant hill?

dont worry i needed to play in that ant hill.
  • edited December 2004
    Yeah, pretty much dying sucks. I hate having to do things over again.
  • edited December 2004
    Yeah, pretty much dying sucks. I hate having to do things over again.

Agreed. Generally, whenever the game gets put in an unwinnable state--either by dying or a puzzle having no reset button (yes, I have been playing Myst IV, why do you ask? ARGH!)--such that I end up having to revert to a savegame and doing certain things over again...that's generally when the game gets tossed out the nearest window.
  • edited December 2004
    Btw, IIRC monkey island 1 is the only monkey in wich you die (-at the canon screen- not counting false death of CMI) am i wrong ?
    You are wrong. Kind of.

If you wait 10 mins during the second spit puzzle in Monkey 2 , Guybrush and Wally are killed and you are rewarded with an amusing sequence in which Elaine points out that Guybrush couldn't have died because he's right there talking to her.

Wow. I just wasted my first post by being a know-it-all. :(
  • edited December 2004

Remember how shocked you were at the end of the Sixth Sense when it turned out Bruce Willis was a robot?

Woah woah woah, Bruce Willis was SO NOT a robot. Mother effer was dead.
This discussion has been closed.