Why no Android Version?

I realize the game is geared towards phones/tablets, but why the lack of an Android version?

Comments

• Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2012
    The following answer from Telltale's crofael was for The Walking Dead, but it probably applies here too:
    crofael wrote: »
    We currently have no plans to do releases on Android. The main reason has to do with hardware. iOS devices all have a similar profile: there's an easily identifiable minimum amount of memory, CPU and GPU power that we can target from an engine standpoint.

Now think about Android. How many different Android devices from how many different manufacturers are available? In the hundreds. And for the most part, they are all extremely disparate in their hardware specifications. Between this device fragmentation and the fact that most Android devices on the market are not all that great for gaming, we'd rather focus on making our engine better on the platforms we already do support.

All that being said, I'm a programmer and so I'm not up to speed on what our sales and marketing plans are for the future, so it's entirely possible that at some point we'll start putting our games on Android. But in the meantime I'm afraid it's not in the cards.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :/
  • edited April 2012
    Thank you, Macfly77!!

Android not good for gaming? I'm guessing crofael has never used a Tegra-based device.
    The newer Tegra 3 games are getting close to console standards (albeit previous generation, granted), and while i realize that someone will invariably bring up the large remainder of non-Tegra devices out there, many companies are releasing their higher end games as Tegra 3 exclusives.

I don't see anything wrong with Telltale taking this approach. I understand that appropriating development resources to such a limited number of devices may be cost prohibitive, but please start somewhere. You want to play the higher end games, you need a higher-end device, fine, but don't shut out Android users ENTIRELY...Very unfortunate.
  • edited April 2012
    oneway23 wrote: »
    Thank you, Macfly77!!

Android not good for gaming? I'm guessing crofael has never used a Tegra-based device.
    The newer Tegra 3 games are getting close to console standards (albeit previous generation, granted), and while i realize that someone will invariably bring up the large remainder of non-Tegra devices out there, many companies are releasing their higher end games as Tegra 3 exclusives.

I don't see anything wrong with Telltale taking this approach. I understand that appropriating development resources to such a limited number of devices may be cost prohibitive, but please start somewhere. You want to play the higher end games, you need a higher-end device, fine, but don't shut out Android users ENTIRELY...Very unfortunate.

Note that he said "most", not all. I know both my parents have Androids that would never play the games my iPhone can. It's much easier t program a uniform device than one that has a million ittinerations.
  • edited April 2012
    Duly noted, divisionten. Again, not entirely unexpected, but disappointing nonetheless.
  • edited January 2013
    It seems perfectly reasonable to limit the android devices that will be available. Pick min requirements and go for it. Pick the specs of the iPhone and make it easier. Having had an older android device, I got used to having limited capabilities and not being able to use all apps/games.

It would be greatly appreciated to have access to this and similar games!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.