Jurassic Park:Trespasser remake game

edited April 2013 in Jurassic Park
Hey, For the last month or so I've been working on a remake of the Jurassic park game Trespasser in my spare time.I have been modelling and building Isla sorna/site B based loosely on the 1997 game and I am close to finishing the first section level of the environment.Below are some images of the starting point plane crash site and the foundations of the site B hotel.You can find out more info on my blog http://sharkswithjetpacks.blogspot.co.uk/ and feel free to comment/ask questions

trespa11.jpg
trespa12.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Here's some additional work in progress images from a few weeks back,one is of the bamboo guest lodge over looking an open herbivore area,the second is a partly built monorail station and the skylift platform which leads into the mountains.Newer version has a visitor centre on the cliff outlook also the terrain textures and plants in these are just temporary,I'm working on replacing them now.

jurass23.jpg
    jurass24.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    cool :), but I want to see some dino models though
  • edited April 2012
    Sh*t son. When can i play this piece of art?
  • edited April 2012
    I'm working on figuring out how the dinosaurs/AI can be done this week and hopefully figuring out more of the gameplay stuff,at the moment its just an environment but working hard to get at least some basic gameplay started.Should be some updates next week as I find out more.
  • edited April 2012
    Nice! Can't wait to see it finished and get to play it, it looks great :D
  • edited April 2012
    heres an update on what ive been working on today,mostly plants,rocks and terrain stuff..
    trespa13.jpg
    unity_10.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    OMG dude, this is freaking amazing!!!
  • edited April 2012
    You said it, when do you think this will be out vagrantart?
  • edited April 2012
    Jurassic#2 wrote: »
    You said it, when do you think this will be out vagrantart?

Most of the modelling for the first level is almost done,I'm working on getting the terrain finished and adding all the plant detailing.This area follows the original Trespasser game fairly close so the first dinosaur would be a brachiosaurus I think,I was hoping to get to work to work figuring how to animate it in the game within the next week.I'm adding more and more stuff daily like First person shooter setup,music and audio.

I might release just the environment as a demo though just to see how well it runs and what people think of it,that would be a lot sooner,the dino AI is the big hurdle I think.Working alone on this project so if it comes to it I might try and get help with the AI.
  • edited April 2012
    COOL!:cool: I hope you figure out the AI on the dinosaurs!:)
  • edited April 2012
    cool! You should make a third person view of Anne too! That way you could play in either third person view or first person view like the fallout games almost.
  • edited April 2012
    Update- Dino AI is on its way!.spent some time last night looking at the animation and AI and I now have a very basic dinosaur animated in my game.At the moment its simply walking through the environment and the next step will be scripting it to react to the player (e.g attack) but its a big step forward.It will take a lot of work from rigging to scripting but seeing a dino in the game is huge relief.

The player character wont actually be Anne from the original Trespasser,I decided this a while back but Anne will get a mention in the game.I dont know about having 3rd person perspective,never thought about it a lot so im not sure how that works in Unity.
  • edited April 2012
    that's so true blood killer, you should make it where she can be in third person, It would make the game a whole lot better if you did. That's cool that you started the AI of the dinos! I bet it's going to be the best remake ever!
  • edited April 2012
    I done my first animation test last night and got a fully animated dino in game,next step is figuring out how to script it to interact with the player,here's some more environment updates also..

monora10.jpgjurass27.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    I just want to share my thoughts about your remake:

The pics I've seen so far really capture the unique style of Trespasser and what I really love is that you don't try to rebuild the original setting but rather recreate it.

For one thing it gives you a certain amount of creative freedom. You can arrange things like you want to stage it. It's a Trespasser of your mind.

And for another thing it allowes you to expand the Trespasser universe. This doesn't only mean more personal input by you - the creator - but also a lot more to explore and discover for us - the players.

So you can try to catch up with the initial goals of Trespasser (We all know that there were really a lot of things that just didn't make it into the final game. Honestly, most of them weren't included.)
    And as you already mentioned, you seem to stay true to the gameplay design of the original Trespasser: It was never meant to be a 3D-shooter with dinosaurs, it was a FPSG (first-person-survival-game) where you have to deal with a lifelike world and make your way through it with adventure-like problem solving: use everyday things, arrange them in clever ways and try to take advantage of the natural environment which works like in reality.

I dunno how flexible the unity-engine is and what can be realized but like the other Jurassic Park mods the main concern would be the animation of a dinosaur and how it can interact with the player.
    Most of the modders are really talented in modelling and texturing. There was a Jurassic Park mod for Far Cry which also had nice models, there was X-Isle - a mod that was dedicated to the demo of the first cryengine.
    Now we have Jurassic Life, a Half Life² modification, Return to Jurassic Park which uses the cry engine 2 and a guy who also tries to remake Trespasser for Crysis.

But despite the topic of Jurassic Park they all have something else in common: huge problems in implementing an animated dinosaur that moves more or less believeable and interacts with the player.
    When showing models and/or levels all the mods progress very fast but when it comes to animation, they often stop and as time goes by the mods tend to die.

And it's so easy to understand: as long as you are successfull and see development the motivation is on top. But when you get stuck, work keeps being intense but there's no success or progress and then the motivation goes down rapidly.

So as it seems a rather easy task to create the levels, models and textures, I always think the main concern or primary goal for a Jurassic Park mod would be the animation and interaction with dinosaurs in the game engine.
    If that works, if that's achieved, we all know it's just a matter of level design and modelling stuff that has do be done. And as the past of all mods has shown, there are a lot of people who are really great in that.

So especially for your remake of Trespasser I am very curious about your success on animation and I really hope you manage to get it into the unity-engine.
    All the other work you have shown just proofs that you are not only very good in modelling and texturing but also in staying true to the heart of Trespasser. What it wanted to be, how it felt and what it aimed for.
    For me your project is more interesting than the Crysis-Trespasser-remake because you don't copy the original game. Maybe the unity engine isn't as impressive as the Cry-Engine but for me it's rather uninspiring to simply "hi-res the game" of 1998.
    You interprete it. It has more artistic value.

So good luck and keep up your impressive work!
  • edited April 2012
    Whoa!:eek: Lots of text.
  • edited April 2012
    I think Unity engines more flexible than most engines to some extent,certainly you can learn a wider variety of stuff for it that in Cryengine would take a longer too discover.I was trying cryengine3 the other night but even on low settings it runs slow on my laptop, there's no doubt it would be better suited for a JP project ,whenever I can upgrade to a good pc maybe I will try importing my models.You can see in most of my screenshots I've had to be careful about how many plants there are but this will increase as i optimize and test.
    The AI I genuinely think can be achieved,the question is how advanced it will be,I will be starting with a simple script and handful of animations and hopefully work from there.Once the basics are in I think randomised animations will be a lot easier and features like the Trex attack only being triggered by movement shouldn't be too difficult.
  • edited June 2012
    It's been a while, have you added anything to the remake Trespasser Game Vagrantart? Or do you have any update ideas you are working on?
  • edited July 2012
    Hey, Haven't updated in a while but im looking for anyone who could help with Unity scripting.I need a basic enemy AI script that uses waypoints,something simple with just a few actions (attack,idle,run) to get me started.If anyone can help would be much appreciated
  • edited July 2012
    Looks amazing, dude. Keep it up.
  • edited July 2012
    I can't wait to play it :D
  • edited July 2012
    Me Either! It's like the best thing ever MADE!!!
  • edited September 2012
    Recently got a new pc and been spending a few hours playing about in Cryengine,importing the models for this project to experiment with lighting and stuff...
    jurass12.jpg
    cryeng12.jpg

Still working on the Unity version whenever I have time,hopefully make some progress soon.
  • edited September 2012
    Thats great!!! The graphics look fabulous! How are you doing with the dinosouar AI? Keep up the good work!
  • edited September 2012
    jurass13.jpg
    jp_tre11.jpg
    jurass16.jpg

Some updated images from adding to the terrain,trees and plants today
  • edited October 2012
    I love this remake, congrats! Hope you do well with the dinosaurs, main character, and the dinosaurs sounds too. :)
  • edited October 2012
    I've had huge trouble with the dinosaur Ai,was really hoping to get some help with it but has been hard to find.At the moment i'm working on getting together a video flythrough of the whole first level environment so i'm animating a camera path and building up the trees and plants around it and putting in details.

110.jpg
    210.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    Hey

Here's a very short teaser of some of the work in progress on my environment, couldn't figure how to embed it in post so here's the link-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRnUucocnI
  • edited October 2012
    That's great!!! Looks better than Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 graphics, or any graphics I have ever seen!!! Keep it up!
  • edited October 2012
    Oh
    my
    god
    !!!!!!!
    O.o
  • edited October 2012
    thanks for the comments,here's some more shots from stuff I've been working on-
    111.jpg
    211.jpg
    310.jpg
    410.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    This looks amazing, really good job! How easy/hard is this to make? You've inspired me to try and make something myself. However, I'm a complete beginner at this kind of thing. How hard is this to learn? Can you recommend any sites that help new users of the software make games using Unity3d?
    How long did this take for your to design from scratch to the stage where your at now?
  • edited October 2012
    You can learn the basics of Unity (how to paint terrain,plants and environment) in about 2hrs easy,just by playing around.Its without a doubt the easiest game engine to learn.If you get the free version it has textures and some free plants and stuff with it but not many objects.You can find free stuff though (asset packs) that you just import.Within a day you will have the hang of all the basics stuff I think.The unity forums will help you out too.
    I think I started this a long while ago but in total i probably only spent just over a month on it,most of the time i was looking for nice quality trees and building my own models for the buildings and other objects.At the moment im working on some basic AI which is a little complex.

jurass17.jpg
    jurass18.jpg
  • edited October 2012
    very nice work mate look cool !
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks,Heres a look at a very basic AI test I've been working on (can't embed link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxHhA6yknuM
  • edited October 2012
    Lookin Good! I think that this will be the best Jurassic Park Game Ever!!! How did you ever make the T-rex animations? It looks so professional, Like someone from telltale made it, But BETTER!! keep it up!
  • edited October 2012
    I made the animations in Maya,really quick.There just for testing to make sure it would follow and attack,eventually I will get a better dinosaur model and make the animations a lot smoother and more detailed.The AI scripting is something I have no experience with,I got help with the actual scripts but this test was just me learning how to use them.
  • edited October 2012
    Well that's great! I don't think I could make the animations at all! Thanks for remaking this game, it really deserves a remake!!!
  • edited October 2012
    Are you using the original audio, completely rerecord it, or a mixture?
  • edited October 2012
    I would like to use the music from the films,maybe a mix of them though I think

110.jpg
    210.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.