Fav recent game?

HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
edited April 2005 in General Chat
I know that everyone here is a tru-blue fan of the classic LucasArts adventure games. But out of my own curiosity, what are your favorite adventure games of the last few years?

I've dabbled with many but not gotten very far. Which are the ones worth playing?

Heather

Comments

• edited March 2005
    Syberia 1&2 (not that recent)
    Amerzone(nice adventure)
  • edited March 2005
    It would have to be The Longest Journey and Syberia 1 (I was disappointed with Syberia 2).

The Longest Journey is a great combination of interesting story, puzzles that (mostly) make sense, and excellent voice acting. It really was a long game too, which I know can turn some off, but for me is great. I am really looking forward to Dreamfall (Longest Journey 2).

Most other recent "adventure" games that I have played are more of the Myst variety with the 1st person perspective - and in my book that is not a "real" adventure game. It needs to be 3rd person - point and click.
  • edited March 2005
    aside from the lucas games I don't play adventure games. none of them seem funny enough to play. I guess the closest one to adventure might be neverwinter nights. That was a fun game. Or vampire the masquerade bloodlines it had a couple puzzle elements to it......
  • edited March 2005
    i think it's ironic that people are saying adventure games are dead, as some of the best adventure games i have played came out the last couple of years.

off the top of my head, i recently enjoyed playing

syberia 1&2, the longest journey, runaway, tony tough, the moment of silence, broken sword 3.

haven't gotten around to playing many independent/free games, but the apprentice games were cool, and also that noir game which title escapes my mind.
  • edited March 2005
    I've actually been going out of my way to purchase a lot of oldschool stuff recently. However I have played some fan made games mostly because of this thread (not sure if they count). My favorite would have to be Out of Order. The apprentice series was good although the sequel cut a few corners. 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a were both very suspenseful although the endings were very disapointing.
  • edited March 2005
    i havent played an adventure game since those lucasarts 1's .. a game ive enjoyed the most over the last few years was prince of persia: sands of time had a good story good graphics andsome good puzzles!
  • edited March 2005
    Apart from Syberia and The longuest journey I like the adventures from DTP (German - I dunno if they have been translated in other languages)
    one of the best is "The moment of silence" - wonderful graphics and cool story
    "Runaway" was nice as well.

Im currently playing "Nibiru", very interesting plot. Puzzles a bit too easy though.
  • edited March 2005
    I haven't played anything else recently besides the Syberia games, which were decent.
  • edited March 2005
    I don't know how much they qualify as "adventure" games in the sense that you mean, but the two most recent would be "Diablo II", which I still play regularly, and "NeverWinter Nights".

I guess that the "Splinter Cell" series doesn't qualify as an adventure series. :)
  • edited March 2005
    I guess that the "Splinter Cell" series doesn't qualify as an adventure series. :)
    If I had my way, it would. I love those games. They could probably be made into adventure games, too (and still keep all the shootin' and stealth and stuff).
  • edited March 2005
    The Splinter Cell games are a lot like graphic adventures. They rely on puzzle solving (usually with only one solution) to figure out how to get past the "bad guys." They sort of reminded me of the old Sierra adventure titles, what with their heavy reliance on (somewhat) logical trial-and-error gameplay.
  • edited March 2005
    Hmm... adventure you say... well, i spend most of my time playing old games and freeware styled games (Larry Vales, 5 Days a stranger, etc.) But i really liked Syberia I & II (although i thought the ending for Syberia II kind of sucked) and most recently, Broken Sword III. I'm trying to find a copy of Discworld Noir or either of the first 2 games.
  • edited March 2005
    I played splinter cell at a store once. I found the view pretty awkward most of the time
  • edited March 2005
    i have't played through many games at all lately. the last game i played was metal gear solid 3 and anyone else who's played any of the recent games in that series will likely also testify that they're almost too much. however thats not really a bad thing, its just that towards the end of each game the puzzles increasingly require split second thinking. before that i've dabbled in the tactical RPGs from nippon ichi which are certainly original but still boil down to several days worth of battling monsters. other than that i've played the warcraft series and the first couple fallout games. warcraft was fun when it came out but when number 3 rolled around i couldn't justify it anymore. as for fallout i have high hopes and cloudy expectations for its future. so to answer the question i'd have to say the metal gear series is currently my absolute favorite with fallout making for some good nostalgia
  • edited March 2005
    Yes. The Fallout series is great, but I've heard some things about Tactics. Never played, so I can't say.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2005
    I'll tell you some of the ones I have played an hour or two (in some cases more)of. Maybe if you have played these as well, you would let me know what you liked or did not like about them:

The Westerner (known in the US as Wanted)
    Legacy: Dark Shadows (unrelated to the vampire soap opera)
    The Longest Journey
    Still Life
    Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
    Dark Fall: the Journal
    Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
    Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch
    Those CSI games
  • edited April 2005
    I have played Darkfall: The Journal - and I can't stand it. But I will reveal my bias - I hate "1st person adventure games." I put that in quotes because I just do not consider 1st person perspective games (a la Myst) to be adventure games at all. I want to see dynamic interaction between my character and the world, not static images (yes they are gorgeous, but that is not enought). Once again - Longest Journey rocks.
  • edited April 2005
    If you haven't played "God of War" yet, I highly recommend it. It's not an adventure game per se, but it's got some great puzzles in it for an action game. Not to mention the action is excellent.
  • edited April 2005
    Doesn't really count as favourite but i was surprised with a game called Thorgal: The Curse of Odin (Known in America and quite probably the rest of the world as Curse of Atlantis: Thorgals Quest) made by the Adventure Company. Also known as DreamCatcher for some reason. I thought it was a crap game until I played it and although not a classic was surprisingly good for a 15 dollar (7.50 American?) game.
  • edited April 2005
    Um... ok... all I have to say is World of Warcraft. Simply amazing.
  • edited April 2005
    Um... ok... all I have to say is World of Warcraft. Simply amazing.
    Why's that?
  • edited April 2005
    I still refuse to pay for a game on a monthly basis. I want to buy something and be able to play it online free forever. Like diablo II or Neverwinter Nights. I will hold out till the bitter end. Too many online rpgs these days anyway. The only way I'd play would be if I landed one of those jobs being a mod or something. The beta tests are nice too. Play for free for a while.
  • edited April 2005
    You obviously haven't played the game if you're saying that.
  • edited April 2005
    sounds more like your hopelessly addicted
  • edited April 2005
    Believe it or not, but I actually do have a life. I used to share the same view about not paying more for a game I already paid for, but some things are actually worth a try. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.
  • edited April 2005
    I've seen it at a friends house so I know what it's like so I can knock it :p
  • edited April 2005
    If there is anything I've learnt from the simpsons it's that good waffles always stick together. I'm not sure if that helps settle this argument.
  • edited April 2005
    speaking of recent games... did anyone here played Psychonauts yet??? Im very curious about it......
  • edited April 2005
    lol your right burn. the bbs isn't quite the place to argue over this stuff. I wonder where a good place would be..... :p
  • edited April 2005
    There haven't been many adventure games in the past ... five years ... that have caught my eye enough to buy *and* play all the way through...

But I did play Syberia and was bored stiff. It seems crazy that they put so much detail into the artwork only to turn around and not let you touch or investigate *any* of it, unless it was crucial to advancing to the next puzzle.

I also played Longest Journey, which I really enjoyed, aside from the opening which I thought was incredibly slow. After being spoiled by the LucasArts games (especially Schafer's), which were brilliant at dropping you right into the middle of what's going on - filling you in on the bare bones necessary to motivate you to get going, and then filling in the rest later - TLJ's hours of dialogue-tree-as-exposition (with the occasional filler puzzle involving cramping and uncramping hoses in your yard) made me put the game down for a while... Fortunately I was convinced to play it the rest of the way through, because it does eventually pick up.

It's not at all recent, but the AG I'm slowly playing through now, for the first time, is The Last Express, and it's one of the best most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in years... It does so many things differently than traditional graphic adventures (eg: realtime puzzles and interactivity up the wazoo), and it's got a great sense of style... good times.
  • edited April 2005
    You obviously haven't played the game if you're saying that.

I have played it. I don't mind paying to play. I've played many MMOs. I was just wondering why you liked it.
This discussion has been closed.