Error 101.exe

edited October 2013 in Game Support

I know everybody complaining about it and I should just keep trying fixs but I'm no good with computers and I've tried quite a lot of fixes already but they didn't work so can someone explain it in simple terms to me? please (I bought the game on steam)

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Which game do you have problems with?

• The Walking Dead

DjNDB posted: »

Which game do you have problems with?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

Superhanik posted: »

The Walking Dead

• It took me took a site with loads of pop ups and the one I was going to try and download my computer warned me about (it said the file had malicious intent) why?

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I am sorry for the confusion. My regular web space is in maintenance and i posted the alternative links yesterday, not noticing that they are so heavily ad supported, that it is confusing were the real download is.
    I have updated the description with new Backup download links that are less confusing.

It took me took a site with loads of pop ups and the one I was going to try and download my computer warned me about (it said the file had malicious intent) why?

• DjNDB posted: »

I am sorry for the confusion. My regular web space is in maintenance and i posted the alternative links yesterday, not noticing that they are

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Thanks. I can't see any crash event in there, or anything unusual.
    What exactly is the problem you have with the game?
    What happened leading up to the problem?
    Do you get any error message? If so please post it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9vpf1d thats the link

• When I open it via Steam it says "The Walking Dead - Steam. Preparing to launch The Walking Dead...".
    Then it launches.
    Then the screen goes black like it's going to start loading.
    Then it closes and a message called WalkingDead101.exe saying "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...".
    After a message called WalkingDead101.exe comes up saying "WalkingDead1101.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Thanks. I can't see any crash event in there, or anything unusual. What exactly is the problem you have with the game? What happened leading up to the problem? Do you get any error message? If so please post it.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That should have showed up in the crash events in the support tool but weirdly it didn't.

I suggest you check for crash details manually:

Please check if the game crash creates an entry in the
    event viewer in the "Windows Logs/Application" section.
    If so, right click the entry, select "copy the details as text", and paste them in a new reply.

When I open it via Steam it says "The Walking Dead - Steam. Preparing to launch The Walking Dead...". Then it launches. Then the screen goes

• It says Event 1000 Application Error, then under that it gives me two options.
    Under General:
    Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2013.4.4.20609, time stamp: 0x515df55b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea91c
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000c3873
    Faulting process id: 0x14f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cecdb45d79b486
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 9f023827-39a7-11e3-8408-00137297f59e

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Logged: 20/10/2013 17:49:45
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Hanik-PC
    OpCode:
    More Information: Event Log Online Help

Under Details - Friendly View:

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-10-20T16:49:45.000000000Z

EventRecordID 16102084

Channel Application

Computer Hanik-PC

Security

• EventData

WalkingDead101.exe
      515df55b
      ntdll.dll
      521ea91c
      c0000374
      000c3873
      14f8
      01cecdb45d79b486
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
      C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      9f023827-39a7-11e3-8408-00137297f59e

Under Details - XML View:

0x80000000000000

Application
      Hanik-PC

• WalkingDead101.exe
      515df55b
      ntdll.dll
      521ea91c
      c0000374
      000c3873
      14f8
      01cecdb45d79b486
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
      C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      9f023827-39a7-11e3-8408-00137297f59e

That should have showed up in the crash events in the support tool but weirdly it didn't. I suggest you check for crash details manually:

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Awesome. That's solvable.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

It says Event 1000 Application Error, then under that it gives me two options. Under General: Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe,

• How do I get onto the place where I change everything, because I don't know how.

Awesome. That's solvable. Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compati

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You just right click on the Steam icon and select "properties". Then select the tab named "Compatibility". Look for the option that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" at the top, and remove the checkmark by clicking on it, if there is one. Then click "Ok" to close that window.

How do I get onto the place where I change everything, because I don't know how.

• oh ok also should the version of windows under the box be windows 7?

You just right click on the Steam icon and select "properties". Then select the tab named "Compatibility". Look for the option that says "Run

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It doesn't matter what's under the box, as long as it is unchecked.

oh ok also should the version of windows under the box be windows 7?

• Ok thanks for trying, but it still didn't work.

It doesn't matter what's under the box, as long as it is unchecked.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I haven't given up yet. To make this easier please download and run this file.
    It will create a file named "compatibility.txt" right next to itself, containing all compatibility mode settings that are currently set for executables.
    Open the "compatibility.txt" by double clicking it, and copy its contents into a reply.

Hopyfully it will show the problem in a more reliable way.

Ok thanks for trying, but it still didn't work.

• I'm not sure if this is the right folder (probably is though)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    B:\Program Files\Ubisoft\THE SETTLERS - Rise of an Empire\Play Settlers 6.exe REG_SZ ELEVATECREATEPROCESS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    B:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe REG_SZ FaultTolerantHeap
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information{D3F80A98-05AB-4D8C-9272-766CCFA6A48D}\setup.exe REG_SZ VISTARTM
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe REG_SZ FaultTolerantHeap

I haven't given up yet. To make this easier please download and run this file. It will create a file named "compatibility.txt" right next to

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

While there are entries for The Walking Dead, they are probably not what causes the crash, but rather a result of the game crashing.

Let's look at something else:

Please open the Steam client. In the menu select "help/system information".
    Right click on the information it shows and select "select all".
    Right click again and select "copy".
    Finally paste the results into a reply message in this thread by pressing CTRL-V.
    It contains a section "Installed software", which might have sensitive entries, so feel free to redact them.

I'm not sure if this is the right folder (probably is though) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

• edited October 2013

Operating System Version:
    Windows Vista (32 bit)

While there are entries for The Walking Dead, they are probably not what causes the crash, but rather a result of the game crashing. Let's

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

Sorry, I messed up and edited your post above instead of replying :-/ Now I can't undo that...
    I got the relevant information though.

Operating System Version:
    Windows Vista (32 bit)

Steam is clearly running in Vista compatibility mode, which is known to cause this crash. I don't know why it wasn't listed above though.

Please do the same as you did for the steam icon, but on the Steam.exe in
    C:\Program Files\Steam\

Operating System Version: Windows Vista (32 bit)

• when I go on the properties I can't find where to change the version

Sorry, I messed up and edited your post above instead of replying :-/ Now I can't undo that... I got the relevant information though. O

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It should be the same as I described for the steam icon. Please describe the problem in more detail.

when I go on the properties I can't find where to change the version

• edited October 2013

Wait actually I've found it :D Thank you so much :D Your a legend :D

It should be the same as I described for the steam icon. Please describe the problem in more detail.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

I think we have explored all easy options. The problem is that for some reason your Steam starts in compatibility mode, although I can't find where that is stored.
    This should be fixable by uninstalling steam, and reinstalling it to a different folder.
    First exit steam.
    If you have many games you don't want to download again, move the "SteamApps" folder from "C:\Program Files\Steam\" to your desktop.
    Then uninstall steam.
    While reinstalling, when it proposes to install to "C:\Program Files\Steam\" click on the button and change it to something like "C:\Program Files\Steam2\".
    After the installation move the "SteamApps" folder to "C:\Program Files\Steam2\". You might have to verify the game cache files for each game you had installed.

Wait actually I've found it Thank you so much Your a legend

• Wait actually I've found it :D Thank you so much :D Your a legend :D

I think we have explored all easy options. The problem is that for some reason your Steam starts in compatibility mode, although I can't find

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Awesome.

Wait actually I've found it Thank you so much Your a legend

• I have the same problem now too. I just got the game an it says 'WalkingDead101.exe.' I got it on Steam, and I need help fixing it.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Zan4000 posted: »

I have the same problem now too. I just got the game an it says 'WalkingDead101.exe.' I got it on Steam, and I need help fixing it.

• Okay, I think this is it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8er2jt

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

Okay, I think this is it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8er2jt

• I already unchecked the compatibility. I always do that with every Steam game because that's what does it in for me. The game still won't load.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings. Someti

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

According to the error code compatibility mode seems to be enabled though for steam or the games .exe. Please double check and if you made absolutely sure, that the method mentioned above didn't work to disable it, you can try disabling it in the registry.

I already unchecked the compatibility. I always do that with every Steam game because that's what does it in for me. The game still won't load.

• I checked the compatibility and it's the box is still unchecked for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' I also went to that link you put and followed that guys directions with the regedit thing all the way through and deleted the entry it lead me to. But it's still not working. Did I do something wrong?

According to the error code compatibility mode seems to be enabled though for steam or the games .exe. Please double check and if you made abs

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If it's all disabled, but still doesn't work, a Windows reboot might help.

I checked the compatibility and it's the box is still unchecked for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' I also went to that link you

• This is probably going to make me sound like a moron, but how do I do that?

If it's all disabled, but still doesn't work, a Windows reboot might help.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

By selecting restart from the start menu, as described here.

This is probably going to make me sound like a moron, but how do I do that?

• Oh... I thought you meant something else since you said reboot. Sorry. I'll do that now.

By selecting restart from the start menu, as described here.

• I can't believe it... IT ACTUALLY WORKS! Thanks man, this helped a lot! Now I'm afraid I gotta go. I got some walkers to kill, and a Clementine to save from a treehouse!

Oh... I thought you meant something else since you said reboot. Sorry. I'll do that now.

• Hello my walking dead isn't working and every solution here is not working I got it on steam as a gift from a friend on the Halloween sale

This discussion has been closed.