Adventure to the Pictures

edited January 2005 in General Chat
I, (in my so far short life,) have never seen a adventure game turned into a Movie. But, I think that it would be a great idea. I imagine that Adventure games would transfer well into movies, due to there great story lines. For example, a full 3D computer animation, (like what pixar and dreamworks have been doing,) version of Grim Fandango. Another game that I think would make a good movie is Indiana jones and the Fate of Atlantas, but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.

EDIT:
I think it is also worth a note that Pixar was originaly the computer animation division of Lucasfilm untill in 1986 when it was bought by Steve Jobs, (Macintosh's co-founder,) for a pretty penny.

Comments

• edited November 2004
    Precisely three weeks ago I had that idea too, and made a PetitionOnline of a Grim Fandango movie by Pixar, but I guess that it would not be popular, since just some of my friends signed up. Who knows, maybe I should have promoted it better. Which the superb plot of Grim Fandango it would be cool to see its movie, instead of the childish and simple animated movies we're used to watch. [:">]
  • edited November 2004
    It could work. I really believe that. Grim has a great plotline and the puzzles are all cling on's to the main plot. The movie would have a good story, hopefully not to far from what was in the game. I think it would attract a good audiance, but maybe a little bit older than the standard Pixar audiance. Still, it supports the arguement that most adventure game could be made into good movies.
  • edited November 2004
    Did you watch the Sam and Max cartoon episodes?
    Don't know how much Steve Purcell's influence was with the cartoons, but compared to the print-version-comics I found them a little shallow.
    The game was much better and funnier, in my opinion.

//

If Pixar or Dreamworks would make a Grim Fandango movie, it really could have the potential to be sweet.
  • edited November 2004
    but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.

Now wasn't there supposed to be an indy 4 somtimes around 2006 directed by Spielberg, and with H. Ford as Jones?
  • edited November 2004
    I think a more appropriate subject for a adventure game/movie would be the Maniac Mansion series. I feel it's something that more people would be able to relate to. Something for kids and adults, so it would be marketable to a larger audience. There has already been a TV show no? Not really too successful I heard, but still. Potential is there if it is done right. I'd like to see some CGI Tentacles sliming around.

But don't get me wrong. Grim did have an excellent storyline.
  • edited November 2004
    but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.

Now wasn't there supposed to be an indy 4 somtimes around 2006 directed by Spielberg, and with H. Ford as Jones?

I thought that the next indy was going to be another father/son gig and H. Ford as the father, the real Indy....

But I could be wrong... I just remember hearing that somewhere.

As for S&M cartoons, as far as I'm aware, they were never shown here in Australia, just like the comics.
  • edited November 2004
    I think a more appropriate subject for a adventure game/movie would be the Maniac Mansion series. I feel it's something that more people would be able to relate to. Something for kids and adults, so it would be marketable to a larger audience. There has already been a TV show no? Not really too successful I heard, but still. Potential is there if it is done right. I'd like to see some CGI Tentacles sliming around.

But don't get me wrong. Grim did have an excellent storyline.

Who would you get to play Bernard. I was thinking Rick Moranis or someone who has done geeks before in movies. Or even better, David Hasselhoff. It would crack me up to see him with shorts on and his gray buttoned up t-shirt tucked in as he staigtens up his crooked glasses.
  • edited November 2004
    Seeing that Pixar's production has been geared a bit more towards the grown-up audience with The Incredibles, I think they could very well be trusted to make a good movie from a Grim Fandango script.

Even Maniac Mansion could be done as a CG movie, with the nice cartoonish style of DOTT. Perhaps a traditional animation feature would be even better, but I can't think of who would be the best to do it.

Besides those two, I'd of course love to see a good movie based on Full Throttle.

"Can't talk any more, Ben. Eatin' too many bugs!" :D
  • edited November 2004
    Even Maniac Mansion could be done as a CG movie, with the nice cartoonish style of DOTT. Perhaps a traditional animation feature would be even better, but I can't think of who would be the best to do it.

Please don't kill the image I have in my mind about MM/DOTT with a 3D version!

For (a maybe fat-fetched) example: I was really disgusted when I saw the poster for the Garfield movie - I will never watch it in my whole life... yuck. Garfield is a character composed of thick outlines and thin inlines - the first comic-strip that used this technique, AFAIK. They destroyed that style in the 3D-movie in creating a fat, furry, photorealistic cat - lacking all the finesse of the drawings.

The best team for a MM/DOTT movie would be Genndy Tartakovsky/David Feiss/Craig McKracken - or any other of the great Cartoon Network artists. (Dexter/PPG/Johnny Bravo/etc...)

Oh man, that would be one sweet movie! :D
  • edited November 2004
    I saw that movie, I talked to a few Garfield fans before they saw the movie. One of them said they didn't get it right. Garfield wasn't photorealistic. He had a cartoonish charater about him, but he was alot more pathetic than he ever was in the cartoons. What I find more interesting is when they take a good story, (not a character,) and make a good movie from it. I wouldn't be expecting a Manic Mansion Movie either, and I'm not sure if i would be too excited about it either.
  • edited November 2004
    I think Grim Fandango and Full Throttle both would make excellent movies...a lot of the "epic" feel and the like is already there (and, in some cases, so is the cinematography). The plots (in terms of working around puzzles) wouldn't even need that much updating and reworking, either, in the hands of the right screenwriter.
  • edited November 2004
    I've got this winning formula. It took me about 2 hours to come up with it, but I am proud to present the....
    Idiots guide to turning David Hasselhoff into a Bernard for the Manic Mansion Movie

Okay, let's begin. We are going to make the following assumptions...
    1. Benard is a stereo-typical nerd.
    2.David Hasselhoff can act, (yeah, yeah, I know...)
    3.The movie has a blockbuster budget to spend on David Hasselhoff's "re-education".

Now, we all no what makes a stereo-typical nerd. Heres a short list.

Greesy skin
    No muscles
    Glasses
    Brains

Heres what makes a David Hasselhoff...

Muscles
    Clear skin
    Idiocy
    20/20 vision
    Chest Hair.

Hmmmm, we have some work ahead of us. I've taken that to form a basic equation for turning Bernard into Hasselhoff.

bernard.gif hoagie.gif muscles.gif=davhasselhoff_dave13.jpg

Ahhh, yeah. I'm sorry you had too see that. We have to reverse the process to find the Benard inside Hasselhoff.

Stage 1: We beat him half to death every day, with a 2 and a 1/2 ton dictionary while he is forced into a part time job at a take away store and he sits down for twelve hours of his spare time a day into learning programing. This is for the first 1-3 weeks of the programs.

Stage 2: He starts spending 1 hour a day in a vat of chicken grease and is forced to listen to classical music until the rock side of him is worn out. He also starts wearing dorky clothes and training glasses.

Stage 3: Give him a script for the movie and shove him in a closet with brendon.
    When he emerges you will have your Bernard.
  • edited November 2004
    I think that making a Maniac Mansion movie would be infinitely different than making a DOTT one. Maniac Mansion was like a horror/scifi movie parady. The movie would best be life action and even a bit thrilling (but more comedic). DOTT, on the ther hand, is like a Saturday morning cartoon, and should be presented as such. It's a much more zany, fantastic approach in terms of style.

As for the Indy4 movie, Harrison Ford was in fact set to play Indy as the main character. They were just going to set it in the 60s or something to make it work. I was more optimistic than some people about the aging Ford playing the action hero again (as Ford himself said in an interview, it's appropriate that Indy "get old" like any other human human being - he is, after all, known as being the action guy who actually gets cut, hurt, bruised, etc. In other words, Indy isn't the immortal, supernatural, invincible type of action hero.). Of course, considering the way the movie has been delayed countless times, I'm not so sure it'll even get made (they say filming will happen this summer, but they said that last year as well. There's a new writer working on Darabont's discarded script which took well over a year to write and which Spielberg allegedly loved, and Lucas has made it clear that the movie will not get made unless the script is exactly as he wants it, plus the film is apparently on neither Lucas' or Spielberg's "must make" lists). The fate of Indy4 is still very uncertain, and if you ask me if the script isn't ready in a couple months and the movie doesn't start filming this summer, the project is over.
  • edited November 2004
    If you want to know something about movies, visit www.imdb.org

There I found the available information about Indy 4:
    IMDB/Indy4
    And everything that already was realized with Maniac Mansion
    IMDB/Maniac Mansion [TV-Series 1990-1993]
    and IMDB/La Mansion de la niebla (Spain/Italy, 1972), which doesn't seem to have anything to do with Maniac Manion but the english title. But if you watch the cast, you can see a couple with the names Fred and Elsa. That's something, huh?
    /Edit: F*ck... just realized that the woman in MM was called Edna... ok, never mind this and the last 2 lines...^^)

With the difference between a movie about DOTT and one for MM, I agree with Udvanoky. I would hate to watch DOTT with real actors, but Maniac Mansion could be really interesting as a Movie of that type...
  • edited November 2004
    Carefull, that site gives away too much. It's forced me to do something I've never wanted to do. 8-|
    Yes, I've started using smilies. Muahahaha!!!!
  • edited November 2004
    Carefull, that site gives away too much. It's forced me to do something I've never wanted to do. 8-|
    Yes, I've started using smilies. Muahahaha!!!!

You mean, IMDB in general made you use smilies, or just what's there about Maniac Mansion? :-/ (<-- smilie)
  • edited November 2004
    It was what they had on Manic Mansion, and by the looks of things, it seems they haven't casted David Hasselhoff a Bernard. Well, not yet anyway.
  • edited November 2004
    a animated MI or DOTT movie would be great
    B-)
  • edited December 2004
    What about Sam and Max?
  • edited December 2004
    I couldn't see it in full 3-D the way it could be in 2-D animation. So why not in 2-D animation,with the original voice actors and everything.
  • edited December 2004
    What about Sam and Max?

Well, animated Sam & Max has already been made, at least as a TV show... TVTome link.
  • edited December 2004
    People, you forget that Jerry Bruckheimer made a Monkey Island movie called Pirates of the Carribean. Sure alot of the characters were re-name and alot of the gags were eliminated. It had Orlando Bloom as Guybrush Threepwood, it had Zombie LeChuck, it had the treasure of Big Whoop, Elaine, and a cameo by Murray the evil demonic skull.
  • edited December 2004
    Any connection made between Monkey Island and Jerry Bruckheimer is highly offensive and will not be tolerated.
  • edited December 2004
    Oh come on, we all know Disney was having one of thier "borrowing" moments when it came time to right the screen play for "Pirates of the Carribean."
  • edited December 2004
    Any connection made between Monkey Island and Jerry Bruckheimer is highly offensive and will not be tolerated.

I second that.
  • edited December 2004
    Who would you get to play Bernard. I was thinking Rick Moranis or someone who has done geeks before in movies. Or even better, David Hasselhoff. It would crack me up to see him with shorts on and his gray buttoned up t-shirt tucked in as he staigtens up his crooked glasses.

I think paul pfeiffer from the wonder years would make a perfect match for Bernard. here are some pics to refresh your memory.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Arc/7537/paul.htm
  • edited December 2004
    Wow, Bernard would only aspire to be him, gee, he really looks it to.
  • edited December 2004
    Is it just my computer, or is something very wierd happening to this thread (it look like Burn's post is inside mikegeismar's post).

Edit: My post is like that too! Whats going on?!
  • edited December 2004
    Dahhh, the threads broken.
  • edited December 2004
    Dahhh, the threads broken.

Yep, it is. I think it has something to do with mike's quote tags (one of them isn't closed or something). Where's our friendly moderator when you need him...?
  • edited December 2004
    Sorry about that, geez, that was my first forum post ever on this website. I must be a JINX.
  • edited December 2004
    Wow, im so smart I fixed it!!!
  • edited December 2004
    Where's our friendly moderator when you need him...?

Last time that happened he just deleted the whole thread. :( Anyway, I think he's at 'boot camp' for a few weeks.
  • edited December 2004
    Where's our friendly moderator when you need him...?

Last time that happened he just deleted the whole thread. :( Anyway, I think he's at 'boot camp' for a few weeks.

do i care
  • edited December 2004
    Off Topic!!! What happenend to computer games and movies, A full throttle movie with Mel Gibson would be cool, or would people just think of mad max? A monkey Island movie would be even cooler, with Bud Bundy from married with children as Guybrush or Alex Winter from Bill and Teds excellent adventure. We all know Bud Bundy and Bill S Preston now don't we (losers like us should know). Natalie Portman would make an awesome Elaine Marley. Vin Deisel as Meathook. Tom Hanks can pass as Otis. Tommy Chong as Hermen toothrot, or even better George Carlin; hell, david lettermen could probably pass as Herman, they both have that "He Heee" when they laugh. And for Lechuck, thats gonna be a hard one. I'll let everyone else try to take a shot at that one.
  • edited December 2004
    Lechuck could be computer animated, like Gollum.
  • edited December 2004
    If you have ever seen Scoody Doo 2, there is a ghost pirate in that who looked a lot like Lechuck except without the flaming beard, but it wasn't computer animated, at least I think it wasn't. The biggest trouble would be the voice actors, when Dominic Armato supplied his voice as Guybrush, it set a huge bar that I'm sure most actors wouldn't want to jump, but when they don't would it upset the fan base?
  • edited December 2004
    who would you want to voice this Lechuck?

oh and burn he wouldn't have a flaming beard since he would be ghost form lechuck
  • edited December 2004
    Bundy would´t fit as Guybrush. He´s way too old (Guybrush is hardly 20!). If anyone should play Guybrush I feel it should be Christopher Masterson (Francis, the oldest brother from Malcolm in the middle) don't you agree?
  • edited December 2004
    I sure hope not. I loathe all the actors on that show
This discussion has been closed.