Can we just get a Steam code for season 2?

edited December 2013 in Game Support

Seriously, it'll save everyone time, you guys wont have to figure out what's wrong, and we can just get to playing.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

We currently are not giving steam codes to customers that purchase through our website. I apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently looking into the server connection issue.

• You apologise????

How is it that the company that made the game are the ones struggling to get it working whilst all the steam and pirated players are playing it?

The idea of preorder is just that we pay before the game is released so we can have the first access to it.To me this is an unacceptable level of customer service. I and many other disgruntled customers have paid for something which is clearly not working!

I think the above comment regarding the steam codes is a valid one and probably the least TT can do to try to win its semi-loyal customers back. As this isn't the first time you had problems with games on launch days. These games should be tested several times before launch to guarantee they work.

• So I'm freaking out here a bit... I've played TWD Season 1 and 400 days, I have the saves but I bought/played it via Steam.

The way I picked up TWD S2 was through the GMG deal, which gave me a code to input on the Telltale Games website, which I did, but they had me create an account and apparently my e-mail address didn't show my having an account already, so that's what I did. Come today and I go to get the game (hoping it would be a cd-key I could use on Steam) but they have me download the entire game and then log in to my Telltale account when it opens up... now none of my choices have been made... what gives? How to I get my save game files in there?!?!

• I wish we could just get a steam key instead! :/

• I want a Steam key too. This is completely ridiculous. I'm writing a letter to the BBB about this poor, poor effort at customer service.

The server connection issues have been fixed. Please try to log in again, and you should be able to get into the game.

LukeB: If you are having save troubles, please make sure the Season1 save data is in the proper file location for your computer to locate it.
    If on PC:

Copying the prefs.prop and all .save files from

%PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

to

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

should let season 2 find your savegames.

If on Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/ Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead and do the same thing.

Make sure you choose to overwrite the existing prefs.prop. file.

• To me its also unacceptable! I never pre order anymore with this Plattform here.

If the devs are good they give us a second key for having this issues as pre order customers!

• The Issues havent been fixed! Same Problem...cant log in ....

regards

The server connection issues have been fixed. Please try to log in again, and you should be able to get into the game. LukeB: If you are ha

• Thanks for the help. There was nothing really wrong with the game other than not being able to ensure everything was setup before "starting" a new game, which is where I was freaking out, I wasn't about to start a new game without those save game files being loaded in... turned out you have to start the game before TWD S2 searches your HDD for the files... THAT could have been in the "Help & Options" section, as I found no help on the matter there.

On the plus side, had lots of quick responses and help on the support boards here and it turned out I was panicking over nothing more than slightly poor in-game directions. All is sorted now... I hope :P

• They haven't been fixed. I still can't connect.

The server connection issues have been fixed. Please try to log in again, and you should be able to get into the game. LukeB: If you are ha

• I went on to youtube this morning and saw people have already uploaded lets plays and was like "where's that email I was promised from telltale? Never mind, as long as I can play it I guess it's ok... Oh wait I CAN't?!" Wtaf is this, preorders are meant to ensure you get to play it first! This is total bs. Stuff the preorder content I want a refund so I can just go and get a steam key. Shouldn't have trusted Telltale with my money outright.

• Server issues are not fixed.

• Why not? Why mess with what works? Can I get a refund so I can just buy it through steam, I don't care about the pre-order extras any-more if this is the service I am to expect for the next 4 chapters.

We currently are not giving steam codes to customers that purchase through our website. I apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently looking into the server connection issue.

If you are still having server login issues, please contact our Support Staff at Support@Telltalegames.com and they will attempt to assist you with your issue.

• Contacted over two hours ago, no reply yet.

If you are still having server login issues, please contact our Support Staff at Support@Telltalegames.com and they will attempt to assist you with your issue.

• Is not issuing Steam codes for games purchased directly from Tell Tale the policy going forward?

By the way, it would have been nice to inform people that you wouldn't be doing so for TWD S2 considering you had done it for S1 and TWAU.

• Still nothing... I don't want to spam the email (or here). But what exactly am I to do when there's no response?

HadesGigas posted: »

Contacted over two hours ago, no reply yet.

If you are still experiencing any issues, feel free to send me a PM with your Customer Support Ticked number, and the email address associated with your account. I apologize for the delay.

HadesGigas posted: »

Still nothing... I don't want to spam the email (or here). But what exactly am I to do when there's no response?

• edited December 2013

--

• Hello Mike, I sent you a PM about 45 minutes ago and included my Support Ticket #.

If you are still experiencing any issues, feel free to send me a PM with your Customer Support Ticked number, and the email address associated with your account. I apologize for the delay.

• Why was this message removed by moderators?

kyle1382 posted: »

--

• edited December 2013

I was explicitly told by Telltale Support before the game launched that I will receive a Steam key:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/53938/was-told-by-telltale-support-that-i-could-get-a-steam-key

• I tried this and couldn't find any Walking Dead files in the Steam folder.

• tronixtronix Telltale Alumni

This user has posted an early private response for a policy that has changed. We will honor our commitment to this user, but do not condone the publication of a private correspondence with our support staff.

cyanpepper posted: »

I was explicitly told by Telltale Support before the game launched that I will receive a Steam key: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/53938/was-told-by-telltale-support-that-i-could-get-a-steam-key

• I don't seem to have gotten a response yet? I can't find any place to check PMs on this website in general though.

• This is getting a little silly. It's clearly possible for Telltale to obtain Steam keys for their own games. I have a TTG key for the game that I paid $17 for. I'm trying my best to offload so that I can purchase the game from Steam for $25.

I'd be totally happy to pay you guys more money (up to $5) for a Steam key. Can't you set up a new SKU, charge me $5, revoke access to my TTG version, and issue me a Steam key? I'd also be happy to PayPal a TTG address $5 or even mail the company a check.

A little flexibility with customers goes a long way..

tronix posted: »

This user has posted an early private response for a policy that has changed. We will honor our commitment to this user, but do not condone the publication of a private correspondence with our support staff.

• Look Telltale, I understand the tricky part in this situation, you don't have Steam keys, ok, but you are handling this very, very poorly. Both the server problems AND the steam keys issue can be solved by giving your customers Steam keys, so talk to Valve, and find a way to give out those keys. Sure, you want people to use your distribuiton method, I understand, but do you think that this first experience will make people come back to it? Because after this, if I don't get my Steam key, I know I'll buy it directly from Steam, no matter the discounts.

So, do everyone a favor and give out the Steam keys, fix the servers; that way we'll play your game, and your distribution method will work, everybody wins this way, and I'm sure giving out repeated vague responses isn't helping, at all.

• I don't really agree with it, not with those $5. I paid for my game, I should have it. Sure they can remove the game from TTG, but I'm not paying more.

langdonx posted: »

This is getting a little silly. It's clearly possible for Telltale to obtain Steam keys for their own games. I have a TTG key for the game t

• yea i'm still having problems. a steam key would be great. I reinstalled, then something went wrong with my registry in reinstalling, can't even connect to the server now. And when I could it said I didn't own the game?

• Wait, so we're not getting Steam Keys? Seriously? That's just unacceptable.

Telltale, I love your work but you have to correct this - I want the game on Steam, not as a download, and if this ain't fixed I won't be pre-ordering anything else via your site in the future- which is sad, since I want to support the developers directly of course. And even though I love the games, I already own the game now - I shouldn't have to pay for it again just to be able to get it on Steam.

What's the reasoning behind this? I was completely under the impression that a pre-order would include a Steam key, that's obvious in this day of age! I fully expect Telltale to correct this and give all us who pre-ordered the game here Steam keys, since the alternative will probably render a lot of negative feedback that could so easily be avoided.

• Season 2 appears to add a registry entry that remains even after uninstallation.

If you go to...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\

..then expand the tree you'll see different things depending if you have or had Season 1 installed, one will be called "Launcher". Launcher seems to be tied to season 2 since it has username and password information and the username I'm seeing is the one I use on this site, not the one I use on Steam. So I'm assuming if one uninstalls season 2 then removes that launcher entry under the registry, that may clear up any registry issues one has. Or it may cause ones system to explode.

martintam posted: »

yea i'm still having problems. a steam key would be great. I reinstalled, then something went wrong with my registry in reinstalling, can't even connect to the server now. And when I could it said I didn't own the game?

• If you paid for your game... then you DO have it. The problem is you (and I) didn't read the fine print and we both want more than we got. And for that, I'm happy to pay an extra surcharge for my mistake.

It's obvious why Telltale is doing this... they want to make more money per game. You can't blame them for that. Unfortunately, I'm not going to activate the key I did get, and I'm certainly not going to be buying more Telltale games from GMG, the Telltale store, or any other service that's not Steam.

I've made it this far without Origin, I don't really play Blizzard games, and I suffered through Uplay once for Far Cry 3. I really think limiting consumer choice is a bad bet in today's market.

MonkeyDot posted: »

I don't really agree with it, not with those $5. I paid for my game, I should have it. Sure they can remove the game from TTG, but I'm not paying more.

• I got an email from support telling me this (after like 4 hours and having to PM a mod here). Didn't wind up helping anything.

Their support is either swamped or horrible, cause it's been like an hour and a half since since then.

Season 2 appears to add a registry entry that remains even after uninstallation. If you go to... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Game

• edited December 2013

Interesting to note:

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/loWBJ/steam-does-not-sell-steam-keys-to-retailers (read the whole thread, don't get caught up in the greenlight bit)

So Telltale can theoretically generate keys for free and make a handful of people on their support forum really happy.

• Looking to sell my key now to get it on Steam. Thats how much I'm wanting a Steam key. I didn't realize this would be a big deal. I just want it to be backed up with the rest of my games, not going through some other service. Convenience. But that's not what I'm getting at the moment. I'm siding with langdonx that I'm willing to pay a bit more from my "not reading the fine print error." I just don't understand why this seems like such a hard topic. I understand previous arrangements with other users. But to me that's silly as it shows that its possible to get a Steam key.

So please please please, Telltale. Let's get some Steam keys going!
    -(currently) faithful fan.

• I knew reading the fine print that I wasn't getting a Steam Key.

However, I would great appreciate a chance to pay extra for one, once an opportunity becomes available. It just makes it easier for my continuity of gameplay (and sanity) to keep everything on Steam.

Thanks!

• This Fu** Game still doesnt work!

Shitstorm for Customer Service and DRM policy....This cant be true...

We pay and dont download illegal but punished for pre order..... Do me a favour and never pre order again from telltale.

I Write to the support and all i get was the same fucking answer " delete the launcher folder".

• this is just a nightmare on my Mac, how do i connect my season and 400 days on a mac? can we just get a steam key please? if i must do i have to contact support? can I get a refund so i can buy it from steam instead?

• Still not fixed.
    I live in Perth, Australia.
    Help, seriously

• edited December 2013

We really should get steam key. For some reason downloading game takes me forever. With steam it would be lot more easier because i can continue my download later. I cant even download game because it takes me over 5 days and i dont understnad why it does that DX my internet isnt even slow.

This discussion has been closed.