The Walking Dead episode 2 not working black screen with axe item

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the initial poster. I followed the instructions DjNDB posted and here's my .zip file.

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Izanagi\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\Izanagi\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the initial poster. I followed the instructions DjNDB posted and here's my .zip file. [URL=http://wikisend

• Hello,

I need your help in this case. Thank you for your support. It's a great game!!

DjNDB posted: »

Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_(pc|mac).zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• Alt text

sabiam posted: »

Hello, I need your help in this case. Thank you for your support. It's a great game!!

• Hello DjNDB, the screen turns black in episode 2 and no items are visible, I can only see the mouse coursor. here is my zip file http://www.4shared.com/zip/K56-CWyj/TWD_support_data_pc.html

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please upload it to a decent filehoster, that allows direct downloads. I'm not going to download and execute the weird .exe they provide.

MarwanMero posted: »

Hello DjNDB, the screen turns black in episode 2 and no items are visible, I can only see the mouse coursor. here is my zip file http://www.4shared.com/zip/K56-CWyj/TWD_support_data_pc.html

• DjNDB posted: »

Please upload it to a decent filehoster, that allows direct downloads. I'm not going to download and execute the weird .exe they provide.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Does the screen go black right when you start the episode?
    Does it also happen if you start Episode 2 in an empty save slot with random choices?

https://www.mediafire.com/?7zgkcfg28c91j8t

• whether I start in an empty save or not it shows me the rewind warning, and when I click yes or no the black screen shows up

Does the screen go black right when you start the episode? Does it also happen if you start Episode 2 in an empty save slot with random choices?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please check if you have any files named prefs.prop the sub folders of
    C:\Users\HOME\Documents\Telltale Games\Walking Dead\SyncFs\Data\
    or
    the games install folder.

If so, rename it to prefs.prop.bak

whether I start in an empty save or not it shows me the rewind warning, and when I click yes or no the black screen shows up

• it works!! thanks for your help.

Please check if you have any files named prefs.prop the sub folders of C:\Users\HOME\Documents\Telltale Games\Walking Dead\SyncFs\Data\ or the games install folder. If so, rename it to prefs.prop.bak

• Same white axe problem that many have. Here's the zip

http://www.sendspace.com/file/derf9v

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@2evill
    Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\dtmt\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to
    C:\Users\dtmt\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

2evill posted: »

Same white axe problem that many have. Here's the zip http://www.sendspace.com/file/derf9v

• Hi DjNDB, I'm a Mac user who's having a similar issue to everyone else here. When I try to start Episode 2, the screen turns black (except for a mouse cursor that still responds). I'd very much appreciate if you could help me out in diagnosing and fixing the problem. I've run the support tool, and the results are here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/26dhdw

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@pfrolio

-rw-r--r-- 1 pfrolio staff 24K Dec 3 22:12 /Users/pfrolio/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 pfrolio staff 56K Dec 3 22:13 /Users/pfrolio/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/thewalkingdead/prefs.prop

You have 2 prefs.prop files, and only one should be kept active. I don't know which one is the better choice though, so we can just try.

Please run this script to keep the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, and deactivate the one in the steam folder.

The try if you get the correct savegames.

If you don't, we need some manual intervention:
    Navigate to the savegame folder by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path below into it.
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

rename the prefs.prop to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then go to
    /Users/pfrolio/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/
    and copy the prefs.prop.orig
    to
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
    Then rename it (prefs.prop.orig) to prefs.prop

Now try again if you get the correct savegames.

pfrolio posted: »

Hi DjNDB, I'm a Mac user who's having a similar issue to everyone else here. When I try to start Episode 2, the screen turns black (except for

• edited December 2013

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sj7ecl

Please help! I'm having this same issue.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Nledesma87
    You have 2 active prefs.prop files.

Please run this script to keep the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, and deactivate the one in the steam folder

Nledesma87 posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sj7ecl Please help! I'm having this same issue.

• Hi im new and i just recently downloaded the walking dead season 2 part 1 and i have downloaded it and when it comes up i just have a black screen with sound. THAT'S IT!!!!! I dont see a cursor or anything like that. So what is the problem.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

johnny901 posted: »

Hi im new and i just recently downloaded the walking dead season 2 part 1 and i have downloaded it and when it comes up i just have a black screen with sound. THAT'S IT!!!!! I dont see a cursor or anything like that. So what is the problem.

• Ughhhhh....the suspense is killing me!!!!!! When are episodes 2-5 avail for TWD2????!! TIffani is becoming very anxious!!!!!

• Having this problem too. Bought the game off Steam.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

@Charlie019

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

Charlie019 posted: »

Having this problem too. Bought the game off Steam.

• http://www.sendspace.com/file/46ulp2

Here's the link I have.
    To make it clear, Im using an iMac, I have played through season 1 before no problems.
    Bought season 2 yesterday and completed it, so wanted to play through season 1 again.

Just finished episode 1, When I go to play episode 2 its just an all black screen with an axe icon on the left hand side.

Im trying to play the game through steam.

Please please please ... did I say please.... Help me out.

@Charlie019 Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2014

@JoeWall

You ran into the multiple prefs.prop bug.

Please rename the prefs.prop files in the folders below to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate them

/Users/josephwall/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the walking dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead102/

/Users/josephwall/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

Then move the prefs.prop from

/Users/josephwall/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the walking dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

to

/Users/josephwall/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

And try if the game shows the correct stats for episode 1 and if so, if you can continue to episode 2

JoeWall posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/46ulp2 Here's the link I have. To make it clear, Im using an iMac, I have played through season 1 before no

• Thanks for the reply, Please don't go anywhere and Ill give this a try.

Even though it sounds hard lol

@JoeWall You ran into the multiple prefs.prop bug. Please rename the prefs.prop files in the folders below to prefs.prop.bak to deactiva

• Yeah how do I do this? lol

@JoeWall You ran into the multiple prefs.prop bug. Please rename the prefs.prop files in the folders below to prefs.prop.bak to deactiva

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You can navigate to the folders by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path into it.

Yeah how do I do this? lol

• When I load up application support theres no files in there, or if I choose applications, it just brings up shortcuts to some steam games. If I click them it just loads the game.

It won't give me any rename file options.

I have no idea what Im doing.

• This folder can't be found

• Where Im getting stuck is:/Users/josephwall/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the walking dead/

After this, there is no option for thewalkingdead.app, I can either load the game or choose folder called "pack" and its got another folder called walkingdead106... ? :S

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If you go to the folders the way I wrote above, be careful to copy the entire path, since two of them look split up by line breaks in the forum. I added empty lines to make more clear what belongs together.

You can find renaming instructions here.

When I load up application support theres no files in there, or if I choose applications, it just brings up shortcuts to some steam games. If

• OMG I love you! Works fine. :)

If you go to the folders the way I wrote above, be careful to copy the entire path, since two of them look split up by line breaks in the forum. I added empty lines to make more clear what belongs together. You can find renaming instructions here.

• Never mind, I figured it out.
    For Mac users, if you bought it from Steam, try going to Security and Privacy, and under Accessibility, allow Steam to control your computer.

• Hello, I have the same problem as many others with the black screen and the axe (and a decision not carrying over to Episode 3). Here's the link with the requested file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6acwvv

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_(pc|mac).zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. Usually this duplicate file can be found in either a Gamedata folder adjacent to your save directory, or in your installation folder. If you are playing on Steam, you will need to find the Walking Dead game data within your Steam installation folder. If you remove this prefs file, but still experience the issue, then it's possible the duplicate file is being recognized instead of the prefs in your save directory. Please take the duplicate file and move it into your save folder (which will overwrite the existing file). You may want to back-up both of these files before attempting this process, just in case.

MacBod posted: »

Hello, I have the same problem as many others with the black screen and the axe (and a decision not carrying over to Episode 3). Here's the link with the requested file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6acwvv Thanks in advance for your help!

• I am having the same issue. Here is a link (http://www.sendspace.com/file/pb05bb) to what the Support Tool brought up. I tried to follow through what JoeWall did, but unfortunately I hit the same point as he: /Users/tangatalaga/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/the walking dead/.

There is no option for the walkingdead.app or anything after. Like JoeWall, I can either start "playing" the game or choose "pack" which I believe is 400 Days. This is situation is quite unusual because I have been able to play before on my boyfriend's steam account and when I opened my own to play, I came across this problem with the black screen with the axe on the left.

In addition, I took TellTaleMike's suggestion and tried searching for the prefs.prop files and although I could locate it (just one) manually - the computer could not find it. And Charlie019's advice did not help - I am not familiar with a Mac even though I'm using one and I don't know my way around the steam page. Please help! I want to catch up before TellTale releases episode 2 of season 2! Thanks!

• edited February 2014

@TelltaleMike or @DjNDB I have followed the directions that you have given everyone else here and did the following:

mv /Users/bobthemagicman/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.conf .../TheWalkingDead/prefs.conf.bak

mv /Users/bobthemagicman/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/prefs.conf /Users/bobthemagicman/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.conf

Unfortunately when I load up the game I still have the problem. Heres my data: http://www.sendspace.com/file/igf3ts please help I am on Episode three and don't really want to start over.

Thanks,
    Justen

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2014

@bobthemagicman

These solutions are always case specific.

Since it doesn't work the way you tried, please try moving the prefs.prop you backed up to
    /Users/bobthemagicman/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

@TelltaleMike or @DjNDB I have followed the directions that you have given everyone else here and did the following: mv /Users/bobthemag

• @DjNDB Ok, I tried that it didn't work. I also tried moving it to the directory I found it in originally, and I tried deleting it completely; all to no avail. Am I out of luck on this one?

@bobthemagicman These solutions are always case specific. Since it doesn't work the way you tried, please try moving the prefs.prop you backed up to /Users/bobthemagicman/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please verify the game cache files.

If that doesn't change anything, You can try rewinding chapter by chapter until one loads and continue playing from there.

Also, have you checked if the correct stats are shown for each episode?

@DjNDB Ok, I tried that it didn't work. I also tried moving it to the directory I found it in originally, and I tried deleting it completely; all to no avail. Am I out of luck on this one?

• Hello, just like a lot of others in here, I've got the same problem. As soon as I try to start episode 4 of season 1 the screen just goes black, but I can still move the mouse pointer around. Here's a link with the requested file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1aiyv4

Really hope you can help me out, wanna play through season 1 again so badly!

This discussion has been closed.