Monkey Island slow Fps

Comments

• edited July 2009
    pandoramon wrote: »
    not about VGA its about CPU becuz this program not support multi core

Unless the processor was overheating or it was throttling-down to a powersaving state when it shouldn't be, this does not seem to indicate what you state, as then it should always be slow.

edit: not to mention that changing resolution can relieve the slowness temporarily
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    You can (and should) easily test whether your CPU is throttling or not, i'll add some more Hardware tests so you can rule out some more possibilities.

Testing your processor:
    You should monitor your processors temperature while running the processor test, just as a safety measure to prevent hardware damage by overheating. You can do that with core temp.

It shows the frequency of each core and the temperature as in the picture below. If the frequency suddenly drops although the CPU is under full load you can assume that it is throttling.

CPU-Temperatur-messen-mit-Core-Temp-1232814028.jpg

Now download prime95 for 32-bit or 64-bit Windows and run it.
    If you see a "welcome to gimps" window choose "just stress testing".
    In the "run a torture Test" window just press ok.
    Let the Test run for at least 5 minutes. If the temperature reaches 60°C (or higher depending on your cpu) before that, abort it. To stop it use "Test/Stop" in the Menu, but keep the window open because you need the results. Just closing the window would keep it running in the systray.

If there are no Errors listed until then, your processor should be okay.
    Errors would look like the red worker thread in this Picture.
    P95ss9.gif

Testing your memory:
    Bad memory is often the reason for random crashes. In order to test your memory download http://www.memtest86.com/ and make a bootable cd or disk. Start your system from that medium to run the memory test.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:
    Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std     1      0

If there are errors they are showed in red as in this example:
    th_Photo024.jpg

Testing your graphics card:

Open your PC and make sure the graphics card cooler is dust free and look whether the fan runs when the PC is running.

Download FurMark to stress test your graphics card. Start it, select "Stability Test" and "Xtreme Burning Mode" and press "Go!".
    While running you should monitor the temperature at the bottom of the screen. Run it for 10 minutes or until the temperature seems to be stable for some minutes. If the temperature exceeds 80°C, abort with Escape.rature seems to be stable for some minutes. If the temperature exceeds 80°C, abort with Escape.
  • edited July 2009
    As i saw before i think that the problem is only with the Gforce cards... i don't think also that this MI it's so heavy to overheating the processor... come on...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Duran72 wrote: »
    i don't think also that this MI it's so heavy to overheating the processor... come on...

Depends on the CPU,GPU, whether the case has sufficient air flow, The CPU fan and heat sink, and some other factors.

Don't say that's unrealistic. I just solved a case of ToMI crashing due to GPU overheating.
    You can and should not assume that everyone has the perfect system where hardware never fails.

Maybe for some in here it is the solution, you never know until you try.
    I will add the other tests here too.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Depends on the CPU,GPU, whether the case has sufficient air flow, The CPU fan and heat sink, and some other factors.

Don't say that's unrealistic. I just solved a case of ToMI crashing due to GPU overheating.
    You can and should not assume that everyone has the perfect system where hardware never fails.

Maybe for some in here it is the solution, you never know until you try.
    I will add the other tests here too.

I understand but everyone here have the similar video card (GForce) and the problem comes out in the same situation for all... after some minutes the games go down to 20/30fps...

I think that he problem copme from the game not the Pc systems...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I understand but everyone here have the similar video card (GForce) and the problem comes out in the same situation for all... after some minutes the games go down to 20/30fps...

I think that he problem copme from the game not the Pc systems...

I guess you're right. I missed that they all had Nvidia cards. I must have gotten lost between all threads I'm posting in.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, it's unlikely a coincidence that all of us have similar Nvidia cards and all of us have the exact same symptoms.

I don't think there is much we can do until we get some tech support. Which is not to say I'm not open to suggestions.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Mad Mage wrote: »
    Yeah, it's unlikely a coincidence that all of us have similar Nvidia cards and all of us have the exact same symptoms.

I don't think there is much we can do until we get some tech support. Which is not to say I'm not open to suggestions.

There is one more thing you could try. Put a slice of cheese on your Graphics card and put it into the microwave for 2 minutes. Might at least look nice :D

Or not.
  • edited July 2009
    Guys... any news about it?
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, DjnDB owes me a new graphics card! I'm starting to think he knew that would break it!
  • edited July 2009
    I spoke to Will at ComicCon yesterday (Thanks for the S&M hard cover and Season 2 btw :D) and he assured me once more that their graphics guy is looking into our problem. Apparently even some of the computers AT TellTale are having a similar problem. He also suggested a new fix:

Play the game windowed and run a YouTube video (any video) next to it. He says this will force the computer to equalize frame rates of the two videoes, so it might help. I have yet to try this, and will report on its success or failure when I get the chance, but I figured I'd toss it out there in case anyone is still reading this thread, lol
  • edited July 2009
    warboss5 wrote: »
    Play the game windowed and run a YouTube video (any video) next to it. He says this will force the computer to equalize frame rates of the two videoes, so it might help. I have yet to try this, and will report on its success or failure when I get the chance, but I figured I'd toss it out there in case anyone is still reading this thread, lol

That sounds like crazy fix... I'll be interested to see if anyone has any luck with it!
  • edited July 2009
    I spoke to Will at ComicCon yesterday (Thanks for the S&M hard cover and Season 2 btw :D) and he assured me once more that their graphics guy is looking into our problem. Apparently even some of the computers AT TellTale are having a similar problem. He also suggested a new fix:

That's a great info! thanks! i will try today to do this... but i hope that they willr esolve this big problem from the next episode.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Mind you, when this happened it was on an EXTREMELY crappy video card, not something high end like these. I've got our IT guy ordering us a GeForce 8600 GT, so we can get some internal testing. But it's worth a shot.
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Mind you, when this happened it was on an EXTREMELY crappy video card, not something high end like these. I've got our IT guy ordering us a GeForce 8600 GT, so we can get some internal testing. But it's worth a shot.

The problem come with a 8800 GTS and others 8800 series too...
  • edited July 2009
    After the technically poorly wii version of this monkey island I decided to skip the game.

"An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even"

This statement is ridiculous. After this stupid statement I decided to skip telltale games at all. Perhaps telltale needs more powerfull programmers?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    trurl wrote: »
    After the technically poorly wii version of this monkey island I decided to skip the game.

This statement is ridiculous. After this stupid statement I decided to skip telltale games at all. Perhaps telltale needs more powerfull programmers?

Don't tell me you joined the forum just to post the same text multiple times in different threads?
  • edited July 2009
    trurl wrote: »

LOL! well so wht they don't try to do a new Super Mario Galaxy on Iphone?? LOL!

Well.. i think that Telltale should work very hard because they don't make smooth MI on PC (with 8800 video cards!) too... so it's not just an hardware problem....

If the Wii it's not very powerful why they decide to do the new MI on Wii and not on PS3?? money?? LOL

I have the Ipod Touch 16Gb and i think that it's an incredible console... but pls before say that try to run the game propley in every system then we can talk about other consoles... thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Don't tell me you joined the forum just to post the same text multiple times in different threads?

rofl, because nothing will show a company the error of their ways like troll spamming their forums. Truely this man's intellect must be on par with very few others his age. =P
  • edited August 2009
    Hey Will, any news from the graphics department?
    edited August 2009
    No, there was a miscommunication getting my sample card in. It's on the way as of Wednesday.
  • edited August 2009
    I found a solution!
    copy the prefs.prop from any other telltale game. It'll run in a window, but really smoothly. if you want the game to cover the whole screen, just run the .exe file in 640 by 480, and your done!
  • edited August 2009
    I found a solution!
    copy the prefs.prop from any other telltale game. It'll run in a window, but really smoothly. if you want the game to cover the whole screen, just run the .exe file in 640 by 480, and your done!

That's good but i really don't like play the game on window... if it's so simple why they don't give us a patch??
  • edited August 2009
    That's good but i really don't like play the game on window... if it's so simple why they don't give us a patch??
    I found a solution!

He did say you can run it full screen :p

If you right-click the icon goto compatibility and check the box that says run in 640x480. It doesn't permanently change your resolution, only while you play.

The problem with this method though is that you loose the higher resolution and probably some of the post processing effects...
  • edited August 2009
    He did say you can run it full screen :p

If you right-click the icon goto compatibility and check the box that says run in 640x480. It doesn't permanently change your resolution, only while you play.

The problem with this method though is that you loose the higher resolution and probably some of the post processing effects...

Yes sorry... :) but i really don't like play it at 640x480... if so i will tahe my iPod and i play there... lol

Well it's great to know that something changed but please Telltales do something soon... the august 20th it's near...
  • edited August 2009
    GeForce GO 7900 GS here.. 2ghz core2duo, 2G ram, vista.. Latest drivers for everything.

Same issue. CPU goes to 100% as soon as the main screen comes up. After the intro It's not heat throttling or anything like that.. 640x480 is almost an acceptable frame rate, but still very laggy and looks like poo heh.

On the compatibility tab, I've tried the compatibility to XP, disabling visual themes, and disabling desktop composition. UAC is also disabled.

I think I've seen this problem before in other games with hardware vs software mouse rendering. This definitely seems to be a nvidia thing though.

When this gets fixed/patched, be sure to update the version on reflexive too! As that's where I bought mine from :)

-P
  • edited August 2009
    Okay, I finally got home and my other computer doesn't have a Direct X 8.1 compatible graphics card, despite being good enough to run the game apart from that.

This means I really do need Telltale to fix the problem with Geforce graphics cards. It's been a long time, and I really think we've been patient until now. I want to play this game!
  • edited August 2009
    Any news on this yet? Getting impatient :(
    edited August 2009
    Well for better or worse, the news is no news. I've had one of my testers on one of these cards for the past two weeks, and so far we haven't seen anything like it while testing 102. That may mean that whatever problem there was is fixed... or it may mean that some unknown variable is involved. I honestly can't say right now. Until we are able to reproduce the problem, I'm afraid it's pretty hard to track down.

As soon as we ship 102, I'm going to have him jump back to 101 and spend some time seeing if he can reproduce it. We just don't have the manpower right now to do both at once.
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    Still happening for me in 102...
  • edited August 2009
    Bas wrote: »
    Still happening for me in 102...

Which card are u using?
  • edited August 2009
    It seems after a quick check it has gone in Episode 2 for me...

I shall update when I have played it for a while.
  • edited August 2009
    I will try tomorrow night too with my 8800 GTS...
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    which card are u using?

8600m gt.
  • edited August 2009
    A followup.. 102 Seems to be lots better, but the mouse is still pretty slow and laggy. Moving the mouse is pretty annoying.. :(

The in game animation is now nice and smooth though. Even at 1900x1200 with 9 detail and full screen.
  • edited August 2009
    I back, and things have gotten worse :(

Yesterday, NVIDIA updated the drivers of the GeForce 7 series, so I figured I'd try playing again, hoping the update fixed whatever was going wrong. Unfortunately, now I can't even PLAY, the game has a fatal error within moments of the LucasArts and TellTale logos leaving the screen before I can even touch the main menu :(
  • edited August 2009
    I back, and things have gotten worse :(

Yesterday, NVIDIA updated the drivers of the GeForce 7 series, so I figured I'd try playing again, hoping the update fixed whatever was going wrong. Unfortunately, now I can't even PLAY, the game has a fatal error within moments of the LucasArts and TellTale logos leaving the screen before I can even touch the main menu :(

Well, if your problem is related to the slowdown problem, thats probably better than it just being slow. A crash usually ends up with some sort of a debug log that can be traced through.

Maybe one of the devs can tell you how to get a crashdump file and email it to them?
  • edited August 2009
    I did some poking around in 102.. It seems that the lag starts at detail 4.. At detail 3 the mouse works fine. So whatever changes between detail 3 and 4 should probably be looked at. Maybe the entire game is lagging some and I can only tell because of the mouse. I haven't played it at the speed it's supposed to be at, so I can't really judge if it's the whole game or not.
  • edited August 2009
    I just played the game for about 30 minutes yesterday and with my 8800 GTS at 1680x1050 details 9 seems work fine...
  • edited August 2009
    Just a silly thought.. it helped with the slowdown in the game "Prototype":
    "Go to your device manager and check if there are a lot of HID devices showing. Disable (don't delete!) the ones you don't need, leaving only the essentials like keyboard and mouse. Then try running the game again."

Can't test it, i have a Radeon card...
This discussion has been closed.