Monkey Island slow Fps

13»

Comments

• BasBas
    edited August 2009
    I'll give that a shot, thanks.

After extended play, it seems like the problem isn't as bad as in episode 1, although it still occurs after a while. May be a matter of perception though. The menu is still a total pain to work with, though. Is that seriously not reproducible?
  • edited August 2009
    My game doesn't work either. If I could get a refund and just play on Wii, I would.
  • edited August 2009
    Thrifty, is it slow or does it not work at all? If it doesn't work at all when and how does it crash?

BTW, Telltale has in the past given refunds for cases where the game wouldn't work at all, no matter what you tried.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Thrifty wrote: »
    My game doesn't work either. If I could get a refund and just play on Wii, I would.

For a refund you should write to support@telltalegames.com

If you want to try to get it running on the PC first, we're here to help.

What problem does the game make?
  • edited August 2009
    Well....

It goes monstrously slow. I'm not running some junk computer here either. I have an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core processor, 4 Gb RAM, and GeForce 6200 LE PCI-Express Video Card. I exceed all the system requirements, but the game just kind of skips and goes super slow.

I should've stuck with the Wii.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Well....

It goes monstrously slow. I'm not running some junk computer here either. I have an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core processor, 4 Gb RAM, and GeForce 6200 LE PCI-Express Video Card. I exceed all the system requirements, but the game just kind of skips and goes super slow.

Have you tried reducing the graphic level?
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Have you tried reducing the graphic level?

What do you mean by that?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    What do you mean by that?

Start the game.

Under "Settings" click the red arrows until you see "graphics settings".
    Set "quality" to 1, and increase it as long as it runs well.
  • edited August 2009
    It goes monstrously slow. I'm not running some junk computer here either.

You know that your 6200LE is a pretty shitty graphics card?
  • edited August 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »

I dunno. I can't tell graphics cards apart. Didn't system requirements say something about how a card purchased within the last 5 years would work?
  • edited August 2009
    Work isn't the same as "work with the highest settings". Don't worry, ToMI still looks great at quality 1.

Quality 9 pretty much means "Assume you're on a system where performance doesn't matter at all. Enable all features, even if they cost a lot of performance and bring only moderate graphical improvements.

Quality 5 means "Enable everything that brings a notable increase in visual quality, but skip stuff that's only of interest for the tech-crowd".

Quality 3 means "Use a safe mode that has radically lower requirements, but looks a good deal different from the normal one."

Quality 1 means "Use the safe mode and disable anything that's not absolutely required for playing"
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I dunno. I can't tell graphics cards apart. Didn't system requirements say something about how a card purchased within the last 5 years would work?

You can't really tell the performance of a graphics chip by when it was bought. At any point there are the current High performance models, and graphic solutions that wouldn't even run ToMI well on the lowest level.

You can see using the PC as an advantage over the Wii if you like better graphics, because you have the option to buy a better card for a low price to enable it.
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Start the game.

Set "quality" to 1, and increase it as long as it runs well.

It's still a little sluggish, and the lip movements are out of sync with the speech, but this is good enough. Thanks.
  • edited August 2009
    You can also reduce the resolution in the same dialog...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    It's still a little sluggish, and the lip movements are out of sync with the speech, but this is good enough. Thanks.

You can also reduce the screen resolution a bit to find a better compromise.

Or we could take a look at your driver situation to see if something can be optimized there.
  • edited August 2009
    He might be experiencing the same graphical problems that all us other GeForce users are experiencing. TellTale is working on it right now, trying to duplicate and fix said error, but we haven't heard anything from them in a while, so yeh...
  • edited August 2009
    I don't think so. Quality 9 is probably simply a bit too much for an old low-cost GeForce 6 series card.
  • edited August 2009
    Had this slowdown problem with my 8600GT. The card blew up and I warrantied it and got a card in the 9000 series and now the game seems to run without lag.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    pewpewpew wrote: »
    Had this slowdown problem with my 8600GT. The card blew up and I warrantied it and got a card in the 9000 series and now the game seems to run without lag.

I wonder if that works for others too. If someone needs help frying his graphics card, i suggested a cheesy solution once.

Sarcasm works best when you recognize it yourself.
  • edited August 2009
    Well....

Like the others have said, your card is just too weak. The card is not only dated but it was a part of the low budget cards of that series. Most graphically intense games utilize the graphics cards heavily so even if your other system specs are up to par, the games won't run very well. If possible I would recommend upgrading to a mid level graphics card.
  • edited August 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »

Yes it is. But the game runs smooth on my 5200. It should not be a problem on a lower Graphics quality setting.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, I just tried cranking he graphics all the way down to 1 (which looks perfectly fine btw). Low and behold, the mouse was now in time with my movements, the lips were synched and everything worked perfectly!

Until the end of the credits, at which point the game crashed :(
  • edited September 2009
    Well, I'm still experiencing problems. I'm running the game with quality at 1, on 1280x720 res. On chapter 2, this setting makes the game work flawlessly, but for some reason chapter 1 has a really poor mouse control, most notably during the intro, but through the entire game. Did the engine get altered or something? The game really needs a patch, in this case.
  • edited September 2009
    Very low fps here too. I tried a lots of things and made it work finally, here's my hardware info and what I did.

Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz (2 CPUs), 3GB Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000 with 128 MB, running on a SP3 Windows XP, with directX 9.0c (which the game itself updated while installing I think).

The graphic card usually runs dual-head on 2 monitors, so beside low FPS there was a completely unusable 'half-a-screen' display of the menu and game. I couldn't get rid of it by disabling nor completely unplugging either of the monitors, so I clicked on where I imagined the fullscreen option was, turned it off, and alas!, could see all the interface finally!

The low fps are the same for both of the first 2 episodes for me though, increasing resolution (windowed) slows it down even more. Turning graphics from 4 to 3 solved it completely though. It's funny that 1 - 3 runs perfectly smooth, and 4 to 6 laggy as hell. My assumption would be that something that turns itself on at graphic level 4 (may be -higher- anti-aliasing) doesn't work well with the Nvidia drivers and/or DirectX... Hoping for a patch :o
  • edited September 2009
    Could this slow and lagging issue be related to the fact that the game doesn't seem to support multiple CPU's? I noticed the game is only using just one of my CPU's and maxing it out constantly. Does anyone know how to make the game use both CPU's or am I stuck using one?

For the record, I am having very slow graphics at quality level 1 even though I don't have an NVidia card like the rest of you. But then again, I am using a crappy Intel 945 Express Chipset graphics card, which isn't really made for gaming and always seems to have problems with compatibility.
  • edited September 2009
    Help-I am not very technical, just want to play the new Monkey Island! I think I am having same issues described above-mouse is very jerky and hard to point to what you want, sound is not in synch with what I see on screen.

When you are saying change graphics, do you mean on the game settings or within your computer settings somewhere? Any other possible fixes? Thanks!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    kathy11515 wrote: »
    When you are saying change graphics, do you mean on the game settings or within your computer settings somewhere? Any other possible fixes? Thanks!

It is about in-game settings:

changing the graphics quality level
    Start the game.

Set "quality" to 1 and test the game. If you want increase it as long as it runs well.

It is possible that you have a slow graphics card. In that case a fix would be to buy a better one. If you want we can find out about that.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm also taking the opportunity here to complain about the extreme mouse lag once more :)

I have a low-end graphics card (first a Radeon HD3450, now a Radeon HD4200 IGP), so low framerates don't bother me that much. But in most other games, despite low fps, there is still no noticeable delay between moving the mouse physically and seeing the result on screen.

In Telltale's games however, this has been a constant problem for me since my first game, Sam & Max Season 1. I don't know how much of a change in the graphics engine this would require, but I'd really appreciate it if you could increase the "thread priority" for mouse input and rendering dramatically, so that the cursor moves without delay no matter how slow the rest of the game runs...
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    It's actually a DirectX thing I believe. Because we change the mouse pointer, we have to wait for DX to render everything out. Which means when the computer slows down, DX processes more slowly and the mouse gets delayed.

...or so I've been told. Could be wrong.
  • ZniZni
    edited September 2009
    I did some quick testing in the start of the 1st chapter (i.e. on the deck of the ship). I'm using 1920x1080 resolution and E4300 @ 3 GHz, GF8600GT @ 595/790, 2 Gt RAM + WinXP. I monitored the FPS with Fraps.

Using graphics quality 3 I get a stable 60 FPS, meaning it doesn't change if I walk around. If I set graphics quality to 4 (or even higher when it's even worse), I get 23-30 FPS and the mouse get terribly laggy.

This is just my two cents, I can play with graphics quality 3 but I'm just wondering the huge FPS drop and mouse lag with higher settings. I don't think an overclocked 8600GT should be that old and slow.

Edit: I also have another monitor connected to the computer as well, if that affects something. The graphics card drivers are ForceWare 175.19 (I know, not the newest ones).
This discussion has been closed.