IGN VOTE UPDATE: TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS WON!

Comments

• I may have enjoyed Tales more than LiS overall (though it still isn't my goty), but I don't think you guys just making fun of the salt in that fanbase is a good thing, considering how salty you guys were when LIS won some cattegories in another user voted contest, from a different site.

• enter image description here

RIP THE FLESH! SALT THE WOUND! Flesh being the LiS fans, Wound being them not winning. Does that analogy work? no?

• "LiS is better than TFTB"

enter image description here

I'm getting a kick out of the comments. Seriously, did people not realize you could write in a submission. It's time for some of those fans to realize that LiS wasn't as great as they all thought it was.

• TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS WON!

• So much Captain America on this thread now.

• edited January 2016

TeamCap

sooo, I JUST found out that # makes the letters big wtf!

So much Captain America on this thread now.

• Good Point, But THEY have Pretty stupid reasonings. Thinks like "the Last Episode was fantastic! You just didn't payed any attention!" Thats why we're Making fun of them.

MichaelBP posted: »

I may have enjoyed Tales more than LiS overall (though it still isn't my goty), but I don't think you guys just making fun of the salt in th

• As with any other game, how much one will enjoy it is subjective. Of course simply saying what they did isn't much of an argument, but still. I found episode 5 to be the only one of the season that I didn't really like, in spite of it having a higher average score per reviewers, which fits with the title of the episode. It ended up bumping down my overall score for the season.

GSSalvador posted: »

Good Point, But THEY have Pretty stupid reasonings. Thinks like "the Last Episode was fantastic! You just didn't payed any attention!" Thats why we're Making fun of them.

• Thank you i was looking for this gif for too long

lottii-lu posted: »

TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS WON!

• Wohoo. Defenitly deserved it. What a blast to play.

• Yeah, came as a surprise to me too when I first found that out.

TeamCap sooo, I JUST found out that # makes the letters big wtf!

• Tales from the Borderlands deserves it! :)

• but I don't think you guys just making fun of the salt in that fanbase is a good thing

I am personally am making fun of IGN commenters, not LiS fans in general. They always talk crap about the site, yet still go their to read reviews and whatnot.

MichaelBP posted: »

I may have enjoyed Tales more than LiS overall (though it still isn't my goty), but I don't think you guys just making fun of the salt in th

• Yay! I literally jumped irl when I saw this, I'm pretty happy that the game will get more attention now..

But the comments in the Best Adventure 2015 page.... woah....

• enter image description here

lottii-lu posted: »

TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS WON!

• Dunno 20+ comments hating on a fandom that wasn't even nominated kind of makes our fandom look like it has a complex.

GSSalvador posted: »

Good Point, But THEY have Pretty stupid reasonings. Thinks like "the Last Episode was fantastic! You just didn't payed any attention!" Thats why we're Making fun of them.

• There's only like, one person making a big deal out of it over there. While their logic of "if you didn't prefer Life Is Strange it means you didn't understand" is a bit annoying, I'm not seeing all the crazy people that you guys seem to be.

but I don't think you guys just making fun of the salt in that fanbase is a good thing I am personally am making fun of IGN comment

• I call for a complete removal of the "adventure genre" awards for next year... problem solved.

I haven't checked out Sunset, but I wouldn't grant any of the nominees the "category" award (pending checking out Sunset). The problem to me is that all the nominees (plus LiS since it is mentioned in this thread) were flawed executions, contain enough flaws, or are just a bit more than great concepts (but no games). They are not outstanding adventure games

Unfortunately most awards could be reduced to "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" awards these days.

• Awards should be reserved for outstanding examples of a category, not for a "best of, but not quite the best of" nominees.

• Awards should be mainly objective (but still consider subjective opinions)

• Awards should not be a collection of "ok but with redeeming factors" awards.

If a reviewer doesn't have a single nominee that qualifies to an award then simply the award should be declared deserted, do not nominate Z grade material by default and force pick "the lesser evil" just to have a "Category Award". Deserted categories are more effective than hollow awards: It tells the industry that THEY are doing it wrong and should up their game.

Finally, if you liked a game it doesn't mean that it deserves an award or even a "it is better than" comparison. Just be content to say "I liked it" or "I recommend it" or if you played other games in the same category (or similar games by any criteria you wish): "I think it is better than".

Key thing to consider: use the word "I" often, it is YOUR opinion, not an absolute truth unless you can produce unbiased verifiable facts.
    And understand that others may disagree more often than not.

• You can see more of the crazier comments if you scroll way way down. I'm also speaking for ign comments on the sites life is strange reviews, which if you read them, you understand why the game wasn't nominated.

There's only like, one person making a big deal out of it over there. While their logic of "if you didn't prefer Life Is Strange it means you didn't understand" is a bit annoying, I'm not seeing all the crazy people that you guys seem to be.

• k

jmm posted: »

I call for a complete removal of the "adventure genre" awards for next year... problem solved. I haven't checked out Sunset, but I wouldn

• I know that I'm probably overreacting, but whenever I read salty comments, I get salty aswell.

Really puzzling to see how IGN totally missed the Life Is Strange phenomenon (it got several Game of Year 2015 awards). Does it have something to do with money, inability to admit mistakes, or genuine confusion? Did anyone from the IGN actually play it through, apart from the reviewer?

This comment shows perfectly what's wrong with LiS. So incredibly ignorant. So blissfully unaware that there are tons of better games out there. Not realizing that the 'Life Is Strange phenomenon' is only carried by extreme overhype. And, most importantly, not accepting any opinion than 'their own' (more like the one they are being spoon fed by the media and paid critics). It doesn't even occur to this person that there might be people who did not like Life Is Strange. Why would they not? It has been getting so many good reviews, everyone says its great, this only leaves one possible conclusion: Everyone who doesn't like LiS either didn't play it or didn't 'get it'. I get it perfectly well, thank you. It's a pretty dull timetravel story with one fun element that can't get me over the fact that the dialogue is laughable, the characters are walking stereotypes and the story is typical timetravel shmock with almost no original ideas.

It's so ridiculous. The one guy in the comments, the really obnoxious one, who came along with sales to prove that LiS was more popular because it had sold more copies. I seem to distantly remember a year, not too long ago, when a game with much less sales than all the big ones turned out to be most people's GOTY. I bet this guy was on the front row of the TWD hype back then, screaming things like 'best game ever' and 'omg i cried so much'. I can almost taste the hypocrisy.

Linnet posted: »

* Best Adventure * Best Performance * PS3 GOTY * 360 GOTY I love the blurb for the Performance win: When a game relies on story

• A good portion of LiS strange fans are like that, especially on the LiS subreddit. To be honest this is the attitude that is common amongst a large number of gamers who want discredit a critic's opposing opinion of a game they liked by making bullcrap assumptions instead of just accepting that not everyone likes what you like..

I know that I'm probably overreacting, but whenever I read salty comments, I get salty aswell. Really puzzling to see how IGN totally

• Do you even visit LiS subreddit? Those are some of the nicest people I've met on the Internet, and I have rarely seen any posts bashing TT titles at all. If the discussion arises, people atleast have some proof for their arguments and base it on something.

Also, seems like most of the people in this section seem to get a kick from bashing LiS every chance they get. What's up with that? You can't even bring up LiS anymore because it's "shit tier game with nothing real in it" and TftB is superior in every way. Talk about unable to accept that other people like what you don't.

A good portion of LiS strange fans are like that, especially on the LiS subreddit. To be honest this is the attitude that is common amongst

• I know, it's probably a minority that makes the entire fanbase look bad, but these guys take every opportunity they can get.

Also, I can completely understand people are irritated because LiS was not even nominated. After all, regardless of anyone's personal taste, LiS both sold well and got great reviews, so it indeed looks a bit like it got snubbed by IGN.

What pisses me off though are those guys who call every game not called Life is Strange trash, yet if asked if they actually played any of the competitors, they become silent all of a sudden.

Even worse, that one obnoxious guy who wrote the majority of comments over there is just one of many people who obviously believe they are supporting a small startup in Dontnod while fighting the wealthy top dog that is Telltale, so they are relentlessly fighting the good fight in every single comment section.

Meanwhile in Japan, Square Enix board members are spending their Tomb Raider money drying their tears of laughter.

armis37 posted: »

Do you even visit LiS subreddit? Those are some of the nicest people I've met on the Internet, and I have rarely seen any posts bashing TT t

• Exactly, it's the minority, and generalizing the majority of fanbase because of some bad-mouths is as ignorant as the bad-mouths themselves.

There are dumb people everywhere and in every fanbase, there's no denying that. However, as you find those obnoxious fans irritating, I find some people on this site very irritating as well. I mean, look at this thread - even though it's about TftB winning, people seem to mock LiS and its fans more than they enjoy the victory of TftB in those categories. Why can't we all agree that both games have pros and cons, but are great titles nonetheless in their own right?

Navoc posted: »

I know, it's probably a minority that makes the entire fanbase look bad, but these guys take every opportunity they can get. Also, I can

• Do you even visit LiS subreddit?

Yes. In my experience with the subreddit, anyone who offers an opposing opinion to the game is either met with downvotes or trolling. Its not everyone for sure, but I have seen plenty of posters who have shown that type of behavior. So yeah, the people over there are nice...as long as you don't make criticisms of the game they adore to death.

Also, seems like most of the people in this section seem to get a kick from bashing LiS every chance they get. What's up with that?

Because some people- though certainly not all- didn't like the game and did not think it was as good as critics and tumblr made it out to be, particularly in terms of story, yet its winning awards in categories( goty, best story, best dlc, etc) that many people feel the tftb deserved to win because it was a more quality game.

Talk about unable to accept that other people like what you don't.

Its not so much about being unable to accept more as disagreeing with the hype/praise.

Do you even visit LiS subreddit? Those are some of the nicest people I've met on the Internet, and I have rarely seen any posts bashing TT t

• I find some people on this site very irritating as well.

Same here. It was worse when TWD S2 was still ongoing.

Exactly, it's the minority, and generalizing the majority of fanbase because of some bad-mouths is as ignorant as the bad-mouths themselves.

• We must've visited different subreddits then. All of those I know there are cool people, willing to discuss and share their thoughts and ideas. Most importantly, most people there have opposing opinions and discuss it often. They acknowledge the fact that there are flaws in the game and they don't deny it - endings, dialogue, characters, they all have some kind of cons and people accept that and never insult you just because you don't like something they like in the game. So unless you blatantly insult the game, people are kind to each other and newcomers.

Does bashing LiS achieve any kind of purpose in this regard? The fact that someone trashtalks it doesn't change anything and instead of praising something they love, they choose to talk shit about something they think is bad. All it does is create negative atmosphere and form hate circlejerks without giving anything positive to neither community, especially if it's just trashtalking without any real reasoning behind it.

Sure, it can be treated as disagreeing with hype/praise. However, after hundreds of comments, basically saying the same or just ridiculing LiS and its fanbase in general, it doesn't look like that anymore.

Do you even visit LiS subreddit? Yes. In my experience with the subreddit, anyone who offers an opposing opinion to the game is eith

• edited January 2016

We can't all agree because a lot of people are very prone to group dynamics. It's one thing if two people are disagreeing and an entirely different thing if groups of people are disagreeing. As in, why would one go through the trouble to try and look at it from a different point of view if there are enough homies around who share their opinion?

Also, over at IGN I originally wanted to state that while I don't agree LiS should have won, I thought it should have at least been among the nominees, simply because ignoring such a critically acclaimed and successful title doesn't help IGN's credibility as a gaming website for mass audiences. However, when I read some of that horseshit that this one guy was spreading, I felt the need to set him straight instead. Loudmouths tend to get people's attention by sheer volume. :/

Exactly, it's the minority, and generalizing the majority of fanbase because of some bad-mouths is as ignorant as the bad-mouths themselves.

• edited January 2016

Does bashing LiS achieve any kind of purpose in this regard?

Even worse, bashing either game in public and by doing so, its community, might be a disservice to your own. Tales from the Borderlands and Life is Strange obviously have similar target audiences, so in theory there should be many people who'd enjoy both. However, any die-hard Tales fan that perceives Life is Strange as the enemy's product will probably not buy it and vice versa. People potentially rob themselves of gaming experiences and publishers of sales.

We must've visited different subreddits then. All of those I know there are cool people, willing to discuss and share their thoughts and ide

• edited January 2016

I don't want to start a debate with mentioning choices, but the three worst things are:

1) People treat their opinion as fact (which is why arguments happen). There's zero tolerance for differing views despite there being subjectivity.

2) Anyone who likes something the commentator doesn't is a fanboy. (This is the way quite often anyway)

3) They say choices matter more in Life is Strange. While the work that went into the Frank scene in episode 4 deserves applause, for example, the choices mean as much as they do in TTG's stuff when it comes to the overall story and seeing the same events, just like many other games are the same/similar. We saw what, one extra scene added onto the LiS story if a character was saved? In the hospital. Of course though, the reason I mention the overall story part is because it's subjective as to whether they matter more for each person when you take into account more than the A - B - C scene route that the story follows. You know, it's factual that the story goes in the same overall direction no matter what, but whether the choices mean more to each person is subjective?

There is one final point and this possibly won't be something you folks agree with, which is why I've not opted to assign a point to it, but as a creative person, it irked me to no end when people petitioned for the ending to be changed for LiS just because it didn't go how they wanted it to. People will likely say it's factually bad or that's not the case, but it is the case no matter how you slice it, because if the ending went the way they wanted, then there'd be no petitioning. I also realise that those people likely represent a small minority of the fanbase, but it still irks.

And yes, Telltale's player base can be irritating at times too. 'Oh, that's bad writing because I say so!' nevermind that good and bad writing is subjective (away from the simple technical aspects), and if you disagree? Then you don't know good writing, etc.

(Sorry if I rambled here too, particularly in point 3, as I'm not having a good day at the minute. So, my mind is a bit off and I possibly haven't got my point across as well as I could have.)

I know that I'm probably overreacting, but whenever I read salty comments, I get salty aswell. Really puzzling to see how IGN totally

• Seriously. After the finale LIS, this game became pointless to be played

"LiS is better than TFTB"

• Does bashing LiS achieve any kind of purpose in this regard? The fact that someone trashtalks it doesn't change anything and instead of praising something they love, they choose to talk shit about something they think is bad.

I don't see the problem in talking negatively about a game someone played and didn't like. Bashing LiS or any game for that matter achieves the same purpose as praising Lis: expressing your feelings about it.

We must've visited different subreddits then. All of those I know there are cool people, willing to discuss and share their thoughts and ide

• Also, over at IGN I originally wanted to state that while I don't agree LiS should have won, I thought it should have at least been among the nominees, simply because ignoring such a critically acclaimed and successful title doesn't help IGN's credibility as a gaming website for mass audiences.

But Life is Strange was not well received by IGN, so why would they have it as a nominee? Just to succumb to fan reception? Thats unnecessary and wouldn't jive with their opinion of the title.

Navoc posted: »

We can't all agree because a lot of people are very prone to group dynamics. It's one thing if two people are disagreeing and an entirely di

• Bit late to the party, but.....

enter image description here

CONGRATS TELLTALE! So happy right now :)

• I don't see a problem about it too. I've said some negative things about LiS too, and constructive crisicism is always welcome, but you're misunderstanding my usage of bash (that's probably my bad) - I mean saying the same stuff that you have said a lot of times before when everyone has already heard it or "bashing" as in "talking shit without any proper reasoning". For example, screaming "Chloe is da worst character ever" isn't constructive in any way and adds nothing of value to discussion.

Does bashing LiS achieve any kind of purpose in this regard? The fact that someone trashtalks it doesn't change anything and instead of prai

• edited January 2016

But Life is Strange was not well received by IGN, so why would they have it as a nominee? Just to succumb to fan reception? Thats unnecessary and wouldn't jive with their opinion of the title.

I'd absolutely agree with you, except they shouldn't call it the "People's Choice" award then. Don't get me wrong, I think vote-based awards are mostly stupid because voters can a) vote as many times as they want and b) vote although they haven't played all of the games nominated. However, it's somewhat ridiculous to claim that "the people have spoken" if they arbitrarily preselected the options. It's like me asking you what your favorite food is, except you are only allowed to choose from my own favorites.

Also, over at IGN I originally wanted to state that while I don't agree LiS should have won, I thought it should have at least been among th

• Exactly - "bashing" is not the same as criticism. Just telling people their favorite game sucks will not broaden anyone's horizon.

I don't see a problem about it too. I've said some negative things about LiS too, and constructive crisicism is always welcome, but you're m

• edited January 2016

I'm assuming you're the "MetallicaRules" who commented over at IGN as well...?

Because if so, I kinda took over from you "discussing" with Mr. Obnoxious.
    First I was actually trying to reason with him, but by now I just keep commenting because the whole debate has pretty much turned into comedy gold. We haven't actually gotten one step further in any direction, and I haven't even written anything negative about Life is Strange - it's priceless! :D

I'm getting a kick out of the comments. Seriously, did people not realize you could write in a submission. It's time for some of those fans to realize that LiS wasn't as great as they all thought it was.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.