The Hope Among Us

Hello friends and foes,

Some of you may know me, some of you may not but I've been a fan of TWAU pretty much since I ran into it. Back in late 2015 there was a pretty significant influx of "TWAU will never get a sequel" "All hope is lost" and that type of threads. Now, I am aware that by the time I am posting this the situation have turned around but to counter any possible negativity - as people have various opinions about the matter - I've decided to make a little fansite regarding the game. It is probably more of a fanboy fan review at this point, but I've spent a couple of cold nights to make it nice so I hope at least some of you will find it decent.

The Hope Among Us

But what's the point of all this, you may ask? Well, as someone have pointed that out a couple of weeks or months ago, it is for the best when developers see that even after 2 years there is still a pretty solid interest in the potential sequel. I am here today not only to share my thoughts, but also to share some facts which I thought would be good to clarify:

Telltale Games have never confirmed the sequel for The Wolf Among Us. KDRAMasters and Videogameblogger articles are fake and clickbait, the only reliable source of information is Telltale Blog, Telltale Facebook Page, Telltale Twitter and Telltale YouTube Channel.

At the same time it is important to point out the fact that a lot of people seem to be ignoring - Telltale has never denied the potential sequel either. And they've had A LOT of opportunities to do so, but instead all we are hearing is "We have nothing to say", "Not at this time" aswell as some mild teasing such as "These lips are sealed"

For as long as they won't directly deny another Season of TWAU, there is a chance. It is also worth noting that unlike TWD and GoT, Telltale had a contract for only one season for The Wolf Among Us so it obviously might require some time and effort for them to obtain a new contract for the second season if they are up for it. Nonetheless, Telltale have never denied a possibility of seeing more Wolf in the future, even before the game premiered

Another slice of hope may come from one of the most recent announcements. Telltale's Batman game is obviously coming from the same basket as TWAU, and that basket is DC Comics. Existance of Batman game may prove that DC was happy enough with the sales of TWAU to continue cooperation with TTG, which may eventually end up with negotiating another contract for TWAU. According to Steamspy, TWAU is the 4th most sold Telltale game ever. It also has the highest metascore alongside TWD Season One, so it can be considered a success. Taking into account that Poker Night is a PC exclusive title, The Wolf Among Us is more than likely the second best selling series out of all Telltale titles.

Well, once again I end up on writing a wall of text which I apologize for. TWAU's future might be in shadows for now, but as you can see we shouldn't come with any major conclusions as potential sequel for this great game was never confirmed nor denied at the same time. Just stay hopefull and patient, if we ever see another adventure of the Big Bad Wolf it probably won't be soon, but it doesn't mean it's not going to happen at all ;)

By the way, I would like to thank @pudding_pie @armis37 @Poogers555 and @DragonButter for aiding me with their quotes on the site! I'll get you some bacon in return if I'm gonna ever run into Colin

Hope you all are gonna have a good day!

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited March 2016

Don't you mean "Faith"?

• Nicely designed website! You definitely aren't alone in wanting a Season 2 for Wolf, although I also think it's neat to see Telltale broaden their palette with other franchises too. If Telltale only every listened to people who wanted sequels of popular games and/or pop culture icons, we'd have never gotten games like Wolf, Borderlands, etc. If it makes you feel better, the absence of a Wolf sequel may lead to us getting the next Wolf/Borderlands/etc when people least expect it.

Also, you are correct that Batman was a result of DC earning trust with Telltale from Wolf Among Us.

Telltale recently announced an upcoming game based on the Batman comic books. Tell us a little about how this partnership came about.

We’re huge fans of Batman here at Telltale and have had an established working relationship with Warner & DC Comics now for a few years that started with The Wolf Among Us. It’s pretty safe to say we earned a great deal of their trust with the work we did on their Fables IP with Wolf and we’d been expressing our interest on Batman for quite some time. It all worked out and were super excited with what we’re going to bring to fans next year.

If it makes you feel better, we can think of Batman as a spiritual successor to Wolf Among Us.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2016

As Blind Sniper pointed out, Batman did indeed come from the critical and financial success of The Wolf Among Us, and you're also right that if Batman does well, that Batman might lead to a second season of The Wolf Among Us, completing the circle (though it's a possibility at this point, not a certainty). Note that A Wolf Among Us was only signed for one season (there were no mentions of multiple games in the press release, as there were for The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones). Batman appears to have only been signed for one season as well.

It's certainly possible that Telltale would want to do another Batman season if the first season does well, but in order to do that, since it appears they only signed for one season, they'd have to sign a new contract. That process could take years alone, and then there's at least a year of pre-production on the game before it's released. In the meantime, it's certainly possible that Telltale would go back to The Wolf Among Us for a second season, if they still wanted to make games based on DC licenses, while they're waiting for the contract on a next season of Batman to be finalized.

As you said, The Wolf Among Us sold really well. Plus, Bill Willingham has stated that he really liked Telltale's adaptation and would be open to a second season (although he stated that, oddly enough, he's not part of the negotiations for adaptations for Fables, so the situation is a bit of a stickier wicket than simply that - DC is the party that would have to want Telltale to do another video game adaptation of Fables). It's very likely Telltale would dip in the Fables well again (assuming they felt they had another story to tell), since it was one of their best selling titles. Plus, if Batman sells well, it's more likely that DC would give them the contract for a new Fables season if they had two games based on DC properties that were critical and financial hits. :)

• Nice! Keep hope alive.

• Nicely done, my good man.

enter image description here

• edited March 2016

However the success of Batman could also lead to them negotiating a contract to develop a game based on another property.

Jennifer posted: »

As Blind Sniper pointed out, Batman did indeed come from the critical and financial success of The Wolf Among Us, and you're also right that

edited March 2016

Yeah, but it would take several years for them to negotiate any new contract and then to develop a season for another DC property, while on the other hand, they already have characters fleshed out and a world created for The Wolf Among Us. It would be a lot easier to start pre-production on a second season based on the Fables license, then say, another DC comics license like Superman (since they'd have to work out the art style for the characters and backgrounds, and that stuff is already worked out for Fables, so that would save a lot of pre-production time).

Not to mention the fact that it's been a few years now since The Wolf Among Us ended. It's possible that background negotiations have already been going on, and DC and Telltale are just waiting for the result of Batman before finalizing (since the success of that would determine the stakes of the contract, as the terms of the deal would likely be sweeter were it to be a success).

However the success of Batman could also lead to them negotiating a contract to develop a game based on another property.

• As I said above, I don't think that's entirely a bad thing as Telltale continuing to push towards more variety could lead to us getting the next Wolf/Borderlands/etc. I'm sure when Tales from the Borderlands was announced, most people thought Borderlands was too simplistic of a franchise for Telltale to work with and would have rather had a Wolf sequel instead, but several people now like Borderlands even more than Wolf. Likewise, when Walking Dead: Season 2 was announced, people scapegoated Wolf Among Us as delaying Season 2 (despite Wolf being announced on the same day as Season One of Walking Dead in February 2011, before Wolf was delayed to incorporate Walking Dead's choice system) and they thought the source material was too weird and eccentric, but people went on to like Wolf more than Dead Season 2.

• Well Hope's pretty massive in the comics. Being both one of the great powers and having a massive influence towards the end of the comic series.

dojo32161 posted: »

Don't you mean "Faith"?

• But hope died fam.

Connormac99 posted: »

Well Hope's pretty massive in the comics. Being both one of the great powers and having a massive influence towards the end of the comic series.

• Oh, wow! Decided to come back after a good deal of inactivity from the forums and immediately saw this nice surprise!

Noticed my quote was pretty short compared to the other three but that's okay - that's on me anyway. And you can't go wrong with a witty Fable wanting his second sandwich.

P.S. - Fantastic job, btw!

• Thanks! And well, while personally I am not a big fan of superheroes I do see that Batman game might be something good for the future of Wolf. I do not expect it to go forever of course, but I think that this particular title was so good it really deserves to have a sequel.

Nicely designed website! You definitely aren't alone in wanting a Season 2 for Wolf, although I also think it's neat to see Telltale broaden

• Thanks for the support and thanks for pointing out the Bill Willingham statement, I totally forgot about it ;)

Jennifer posted: »

As Blind Sniper pointed out, Batman did indeed come from the critical and financial success of The Wolf Among Us, and you're also right that

I think that quotes worked out pretty well, their context seem to be appropriate to the each segment of the article. Maybe yours wasn't as long but it was sweet and to the point, so thanks again!

Oh, wow! Decided to come back after a good deal of inactivity from the forums and immediately saw this nice surprise! Noticed my quote wa

• There's a Fable movie in the works if you haven't already heard. But there haven't been any news of since last year.

• Yeaaaah, hope... Can you see it in my eyes?

http://cdn.designbyhumans.com/pictures/blog/09-2013/pop-culture-cats/Pop_Culture_Cats_grumpy_Cat.jpg

• You're welcome again! And I didn't mind about the other quotes' length - I was just simply surprised at how long they were. Guess dedication knows no bounds for season 2, hehe. ;)

Jacol posted: »

Thanks I think that quotes worked out pretty well, their context seem to be appropriate to the each segment of the article. Maybe yours wasn't as long but it was sweet and to the point, so thanks again!

• enter image description here

reanna posted: »

Yeaaaah, hope... Can you see it in my eyes?

• ErykaEryka Banned

Yeah, I see it.

reanna posted: »

Yeaaaah, hope... Can you see it in my eyes?

• She still played a large role in causing that ending.

• Did I heard correctly yesterday at the Twitch streaming for Batman? (link)

Can you confirm that at the question "Can we hope for TWAU season 2" Kevin Bruner said a firm "Yes"?

And on the twitch chat, "TheOnlyRyann" (Cinematic Artist Telltale Games) said "Our lips are sealed" and then "Do you like my ribbon?".

Maybe all of them are joking.... or NOT?

• edited March 2016

Holy cow I didn't even caught that when I was watching the stream yesterday...

They better not be joking, that would be way too cruel :( Like I have said in the OP, Batman is very likely to boost up the chances of seeing more Wolf

fingers crossed

Did I heard correctly yesterday at the Twitch streaming for Batman? (link) Can you confirm that at the question "Can we hope for TWAU sea

edited March 2016

Even with the teasing (with these lips are sealed, etc), it's best to keep realistically optimistic until something official is announced. Even if they are working on a contract behind the scenes, they have had the rug pulled out from under them before (with the King's Quest license, which was taken back from them by Activision before Telltale could even release one episode of their game, or with Bone, in which they lost the license before they could release further adaptations of the comic series). It's unlikely that this will happen now that they have become so well known, but it's best to lower your expectations just in case.

Jacol posted: »

Holy cow I didn't even caught that when I was watching the stream yesterday... They better not be joking, that would be way too cruel Like I have said in the OP, Batman is very likely to boost up the chances of seeing more Wolf fingers crossed

• What is the time stamp of that? The stream is almost eight hours long.

Did I heard correctly yesterday at the Twitch streaming for Batman? (link) Can you confirm that at the question "Can we hope for TWAU sea

• That could have just been from conversational ebb and flow, where whoever asked Kevin multiple questions at once (including the one about Wolf), and Kevin responded to another one of the questions asked. Irregardless of whether or not they are working on more Wolf, I don't think Kevin would bluntly answer that without Telltale having prior confirmed the game. As KCohere asked, I'd like to know around what point in the stream they brought it up. It doesn't have to be an exact timeframe, as I can listen for some time, but just having a general idea of when it was brought up so we can hear the context of when the question was asked might help.

edited March 2016

I listened to the whole Telltale panel, and only spotted one instance of someone mentioning The Wolf Among Us Season Two. He said "I'm hoping for The Wolf Among Us Season Two", so if that's the moment you were speaking about, even if Kevin did say yes (it's hard to hear), it's not a confirmation of a second season - more of an acknowledgement that Telltale knows people want a sequel.

And, yeah - the "these lips are sealed" comment was made in the past regarding a potential season two (by Job on twitter, if I remember correctly). That's likely just a joke.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

As KCohere asked, I'd like to know around what point in the stream they brought it up.

The only time someone mentioned season 2 that i found was at 4:54 https://www.twitch.tv/sxswgaming/v/55165431?t=293m54s when a fan asked a question and said they hoped for a season 2, Kevin said something while they where asking about season 2 which was hard to hear but it didn't sound like a direct conformation but more likely that he was just acknowledging the question.

That could have just been from conversational ebb and flow, where whoever asked Kevin multiple questions at once (including the one about Wo

• we need a s2. it might not happen because the comic ended tho.

• The comics ending might actually be a good thing. Not that I think Wolf is getting a new Season, but now that the comics are done, Telltale are chained down much less since they don't have to worry about more continuity being added during/after the game. That would give them the freedom to be more ambitious with working in the canon of the series.

we need a s2. it might not happen because the comic ended tho.

• good point. also idk but since it's over wouldn't it be easier to get lisencing for it?

The comics ending might actually be a good thing. Not that I think Wolf is getting a new Season, but now that the comics are done, Telltale

• edited March 2016

yes please, PLEASE do a series 2. I want to see more of this

edited March 2016

It's a weird situation actually. The comic's creator, Bill Willingham is actually not involved in licensing. It's all up to Warner Bros, DC Comics, and Vertigo. So, if Telltale does want to make a second season, I guess it all depends on whether DC Comics still feels the brand is worth licensing after the comics have completed their run.

good point. also idk but since it's over wouldn't it be easier to get lisencing for it?

• ErykaEryka Banned

We all want it :'(

yes please, PLEASE do a series 2. I want to see more of this

• agreed

Eryka posted: »

We all want it

• ErykaEryka Banned

Give us S2 BitchTale!

I'm kidding, it's not BitchTale it's ILoveYouTale <3

agreed

• yeah lets be nice about it

Eryka posted: »