Future Sam makes me a bit sad

edited January 2010 in Sam & Max
Hey guys

I just finished Chariot of the Dogs today and I enjoyed it immensely. Best idea in a long time to buy Season 2 of Sam & Max.
However, as I played the game I met the future versions of Sam & Max. After my initial laugh over the Dalek like chair Sam was in, I got hit by a wave of sadness or perhaps melancholy. He looked so... I don't know... sad, sitting there in strange clothes and losing his connection to the world, and Sam telling him people were there for his 'special day'.
It was a pretty hard thing for me to see. Especially considering it's just a game. But Sam & Max have been part of my life since I was a wee kid playing Hit the Road, so in a sense I was witnessing the twilight of an old hero. A strange sensation in a game. For me at least. But thanks to Telltale for managing that.

Did anyone else feel something along the same lines or am I just an overly emotional sap? :)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I don't know. I laugh a lot with Future Sam (Seriously!), but, at the same time, I feel sad for him. But I feel sadder for Future Max in fact. But the whole situation is so typical and the same time heartwarming and hilarious so... I don't know. It's a big bag of mixed feelings...
  • edited October 2009
    As he would say, "This Novel could be of use!"
  • edited October 2009
    I felt sad too, for both of them. But it seems that Max has grown up a bit because of it, too, so maybe it's a good thing. Still, very very sad.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm somewhat glad to see that I'm not alone. And as was mentioned, while sad it was also funny. I should perhaps have mentioned that. His random muttering are great, as are the random 'I can't use this...' of past Sam on board the ship. He's just an ass though. :P
  • edited October 2009
    I loved Future Sam. "I can't shoot Max, he's my little buddy!"
  • edited October 2009
    I thought it was pretty funny.
  • edited October 2009
    I thought it was a little depressing too. Although Sam didn't seem too bothered about it. He didn't even mention it except for that one time in What's New, Beelzebub?.

Sam: Max, what's our situation?
    Max:
    Peepers is making the moves on Sybil. She's totally into it.
    Sam: Just making sure my dementia hadn't kicked in early.
  • edited October 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Max:

That was a situation worth of checking!
  • edited October 2009
    I thought it was a little depressing too. Although Sam didn't seem too bothered about it. He didn't even mention it except for that one time in What's New, Beelzebub?.

Max:

Hah, I never got that when I played.
    Thanks.
  • edited October 2009
    This reminds me of an old argument I've had with my father about a movie called "The Fortune Cookie" (as well as several other films, but that's the one that started it). I said it was a comedy; he said it was too dark to be a comedy, that it must be a drama. Well, in truth, it's a mix of comedy and drama, which is what I like best of all. The mix of genuine humanity and comedy brings the concept of comedy to a deeper level.

Future Sam is sad. And funny. And full of humanity. Or doggity if you prefer.
  • edited October 2009
    Barliesque wrote: »
    This reminds me of an old argument I've had with my father about a movie called "The Fortune Cookie" (as well as several other films, but that's the one that started it). I said it was a comedy; he said it was too dark to be a comedy, that it must be a drama. Well, in truth, it's a mix of comedy and drama, which is what I like best of all. The mix of genuine humanity and comedy brings the concept of comedy to a deeper level.

Future Sam is sad. And funny. And full of humanity. Or doggity if you prefer.

Very good post! It actually sums up what I was thinking much better than I could in my OP. Thanks!

And after just completing Ep 4 of ToMI I have to say that Telltale really knows how to get under my skin. :D
  • edited November 2009
    Adventuring does take its toll. At least future Sam seems happy and safe in his office, unlike DeCava in Tales of Monkey Island, who is demented, bitter, angry and stuck inside the belly of a beast.
  • edited November 2009
    Randulf wrote: »
    Adventuring does take its toll. At least future Sam seems happy and safe in his office, unlike DeCava in Tales of Monkey Island, who is demented, bitter, angry and stuck inside the belly of a beast.

You know what, though he'll get back out.

I think Sam's in a better place, than we are right now. He's living in his past, and never truly getting younger, sure he looks sad, but he's just playing back his old adventuring days.
  • edited November 2009
    What terrifies me... is the fact that TTG might decide to go that rout in the end of the series... after all, they have all the sprites pre-made now...

I agree it's very sad, though his mutterings are hilarious. Its touching that even in his severe demented state he wont shoot max.
  • edited November 2009
    Hey guys

I just finished Chariot of the Dogs today and I enjoyed it immensely. Best idea in a long time to buy Season 2 of Sam & Max.
    However, as I played the game I met the future versions of Sam & Max. After my initial laugh over the Dalek like chair Sam was in, I got hit by a wave of sadness or perhaps melancholy. He looked so... I don't know... sad, sitting there in strange clothes and losing his connection to the world, and Sam telling him people were there for his 'special day'.
    It was a pretty hard thing for me to see. Especially considering it's just a game. But Sam & Max have been part of my life since I was a wee kid playing Hit the Road, so in a sense I was witnessing the twilight of an old hero. A strange sensation in a game. For me at least. But thanks to Telltale for managing that.

Did anyone else feel something along the same lines or am I just an overly emotional sap? :)
    It literally was Sam's "special day" that card took you to sam's birthday. Max of the furture and pedro clarify that.
  • edited November 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I think Sam's in a better place, than we are right now. He's living in his past, and never truly getting younger, sure he looks sad, but he's just playing back his old adventuring days.
    That's not better off than we are now, and I don't think Sam would agree either. Thinking of this exchange in Bright Side of the Moon:
    Sam: I guess everybody on Earth is kind and generous and happy now.
    Max: Isn't it wonderful?
    Sam: But at what cost, Max? Free will is... ah, never mind.

I'm probably reading too much into it, Sam & Max wise, but dementia is never a good thing. My grandmother has it, and it's heartbreaking.
  • edited November 2009
    That's not better off than we are now, and I don't think Sam would agree either. Thinking of this exchange in Bright Side of the Moon:
    Sam: I guess everybody on Earth is kind and generous and happy now.
    Max: Isn't it wonderful?
    Sam: But at what cost, Max? Free will is... ah, never mind.

I'm probably reading too much into it, Sam & Max wise, but dementia is never a good thing. My grandmother has it, and it's heartbreaking.

Yeah, is Heartbreaking, but they are still together, and they still care for each other. That is awesome. Really.
  • edited December 2009
    IT's very sad. S&M is basically dark humor when you think about it.
  • edited December 2009

It's got some of everything, including throwaways, sight-gags, groaners, etc, but yes, when It hink about it, a large portion of it is dark humor, there was even a large ammount in the TV series that had been cleaned up for a G rating....
  • edited December 2009
    Future Sam was kinda dark I thought, def made me a bit sad. I still laughed though, for I am a man :p
  • edited December 2009
    JedExodus wrote: »
    Future Sam was kinda dark I thought, def made me a bit sad.

*GASP* :eek: I figured it all out, it makes so much sence now... Steve Purcell is Secretly Brittish! :p
  • edited December 2009
    That would explain why Sam and Max kept saying "not bloody likely" in the comics.
  • edited December 2009
    And it would explain why he's so funny.
  • edited December 2009
    British people RARELY does/makes anything funny. I doubt it.
  • edited December 2009
    Falanca wrote: »

You either dont watch much british media or you really dont understand british humor. It's rare I see anything british that ISNT funny (Best Example: "Monty Python's Flying Circus" but even a "serious" show like MI5 or Torchwood has humor hidden in it if you pay attention...)
  • edited December 2009

Go watch some Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie sketches and come back.
  • edited December 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    *GASP* :eek: I figured it all out, it makes so much sence now... Steve Purcell is Secretly Brittish! :p

You doesn't have to be Brittish for have Dark Humor. Just talk with my sister. And the rest of my family.

Probably they are the masters of Dark Humor, just like I think the French are the best at slaptick. (Or at least that side of Europe...)
    Falanca wrote:

SPAM! Oh sorry. That sound to me much more like a "Flame".
  • edited December 2009
    Go watch some Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie sketches and come back.

Not my taste. I watched some that I haven't watched on Youtube, but still left no impression. It's like Mr. Bean without mimics. That must be a good thing, though...

The only funny thing I've encountered from British was Coupling, and its jokes were decent. Well, all comedy series that are based on sexual relationships are decent. I've never watched or read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy though (just saw some quotes and so far and it's promising enough), I hope this can rip a hole in my generalization.
    It's rare I see anything british that ISNT funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07mqQ9RaTk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_IT_Crowd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDul9MR6BYc
    GinnyN wrote: »
    SPAM! Oh sorry. That sound to me much more like a "Flame".

How so? I'm pretty sure British people can do lots of things. It's just comedy ain't one of them, in my opinion.
  • edited December 2009

The IT Crowd is hilarious! It's a SITCOM - SITuation COMedy! The page you linked too infact STATES that it is!

Also the other two movie parodies I laughed hard at.

I think you just dont care for british humor, I've met quite a few that just dont "Get" it or think it's stupid. (no, that's not an insult - I for one dont "get" or understand most political jokes, so, each their own)
  • edited December 2009
    How so? I'm pretty sure British people can do lots of things. It's just comedy ain't one of them, in my opinion.

It just I think somebody here has to take a couple of dozen humility pills and call it a day.

And you could get some yourself.
  • edited December 2009
    The IT Crowd is hilarious! It's a SITCOM - SITuation COMedy! The page you linked too infact STATES that it is!

Also the other two movie parodies I laughed hard at.

I think you just dont care for british humor, I've met quite a few that just dont "Get" it or think it's stupid. (no, that's not an insult - I for one dont "get" or understand most political jokes, so, each their own)

Uh... There is something under the category "comedy", and there is something that's ACTUALLY funny. The It Crowd is an attempt of series that has nerd-er main cast than those in Big Bang Theory, and mainly relies on that differences between social people and nerds when it comes to the jokes or plot. Na I couldn't like it.

Spiderplant man started a little good, but after the first minute it got even worse than the movie it parodies. Harry Potter parody... Let's just say that having Lindsay Lohan does not automaticly makes something funny. Watchable maybe, but not funny.

Britishs started sitcoms and sketches maybe, but Americans produce way better examples of those two sub-categories. I'm not American or British, so I believe I'm pretty objective on this.
  • edited December 2009
    Not my taste. I watched some that I haven't watched on Youtube, but still left no impression. It's like Mr. Bean without mimics. That must be a good thing, though...

The only funny thing I've encountered from British was Coupling, and its jokes were decent. Well, all comedy series that are based on sexual relationships are decent. I've never watched or read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy though (just saw some quotes and so far and it's promising enough), I hope this can rip a hole in my generalization.

Try reading some Pratchett novels as well. And the British have been doing comedy since before Americans even heard the word.

Wait, what do you consider "comedy"?
  • edited December 2009
    Wait, what do you consider "comedy"?

Well, "funny" to begin with?
  • edited December 2009
    Well, "funny" to begin with?

What do you consider "funny"? For British comedy to be funny for you you have to be able to "get it". Which can be quite hard for someone who isn't British. Somehow I've managed it though it hasn't improved the quality of my own jokes or writing any.
  • edited December 2009
    It's not about "getting it". It would be the case if I wasn't seeing the jokes.

What I consider "funny" is more of a personal question rather than examining the deep of the comedy (which I'm kinda against with, I'll explain). But to be honest I don't like how British people try to do their comedy by... writing down techniques or going into the detail of it and using those details as "footsteps" or even worse, "rules". It makes it phony. It's just as the same as using a much louder voice in the punchline part when telling a joke to some friends. They want to make us laugh, they "ruled it out", so they see us like some rubber dolls that makes weird voices and rapidly breathes when you push the big red button located on their back.

What do I consider funny? For example, what always made me laugh was the series Seinfeld, because it never felt like as if the characters tried to make us laugh. But the characters' way of thinking were so absurd but in the end, ironically some kinda true, it was that situation that made me think about my experiences about that situation the characters were in, that always made me laugh and think "why didn't I think that before?!".
  • edited December 2009
    i don't see how Brittish comedy has 'rules'. Brittish writers push the bondaries, where American writers will just continue to go with the mediocre to get ratings.
    Brittish Comedy > American Comedy
  • edited December 2009
    It's just my observation. Jokes always go like "set up, punchline, wait for audience to laugh, repeat the two steps before for five times". Example being; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoS2BU6bbQ
  • edited December 2009
    It's just my observation. Jokes always go like "set up, punchline, wait for audience to laugh, repeat the two steps before for five times". Example being; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoS2BU6bbQ

Except that that is an incredibly funny joke.

Here's an American example of the same kind of comedy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY
  • edited December 2009
    Except that that is an incredibly funny joke.

Here's an American example of the same kind of comedy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY

I smiled in the first time, but after that... meh. Also it contains unneeded physical humor (not to mention it's phony), which kinda got old after Charlie Chaplin. (EDIT: I'm talking about the video I sent by the way)

Why I love American humor is that they found their kind of comedy by experimenting on what others' have started. Even in sitcoms there are more than enough examples that are better than some other British ones. The reason of this, is that instead of going through that "set-up, story, punchline" routine or cliché "I PUNCHED YOU IN THE FACE SO YOU TURN AROUND FOR ONCE AND FALL" gag, they always tried different elements to fit into that sitcom sub-category.
  • edited December 2009
    An American sitcom are just the same as the next American sitcom. The premise may be different but the stories are always the same. They always go through the similar routine one character goes through a inane delema, (sometimes there is another story going on, with a minor character) the actors go through their lines of stupid inuendo and catch phrases and finally the piece ends with another stupid conclusion.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.