Peeved at Ipad early launch!!!???

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
I am feeling a little ticked off that TellTale gave the Ipad first dibs on Sam N Max when its the PC community on this website that has been faithfully buying the game from the start.

Evey time I see pre-order for this game or ToMI, I jump right on it only to be told my pre-order launch is now going to be after the Ipad folks. Who might I mention dont really have a huge install base yet.

Seems like a disservice to the loyal customer base to me. Anyone else feel the same ?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    How is it any different...? we're getting S&M3 at the same time as it was originally planned.

Not to mention we will get some new S&M fans from the ipad version.

EDIT: In other words, if you don't have an ipad, you may as well forget that it was ever released early for another console, It's better than having a buggy PC/Mac/PS3 version...
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2010
    vektsilver wrote: »
    Seems like a disservice to the loyal customer base to me. Anyone else feel the same ?
    Well, a lot of the people who posted in all the other threads about the iPad release.
    For example, see here or here.
    I don't feel peeved at all however (and yet, I'm one of the most loyal fans, having bought every Telltale game but CSI, all of them on preorder since the first season of Sam & Max and I even paid $19.99 for the first Bone game back in September 2005!).
    As has been stated in those other threads (and already in this one!), the early release on iPad does not affect the PC, Mac or PSN release in any way and anyone who preordered on those systems will still get the game when they expected to when they preordered it.
    If anything, some problems might be found and fixed before the PC, Mac and PSN release thanks to the earlier iPad release.
    All I want to say is good for Telltale and I hope the iPad version sells well!
  • edited April 2010
    I'm with Telltale since the first Bone game. I'm a loyal customer. I've pre-ordered Season 3. I don't have an iPad. I'm not peeved. Not even a very little bit. Such amount of jealousy and selfishness is disgusting, all the hatred I read on the other threads makes me puke. And I feel ashamed for all those overreacting movement. Get a life, it eases to understand the world you're living in and teaches patience.

Oh, and by the way, do you remember the gametap's deal ? Goldfish.
  • edited April 2010
    I was peeved, until I found out that the Ipad version ran like a bag of shit. Now I'm gloating.
  • edited April 2010
    I was slightly annoyed. Now I don't care.

Still hate the actual device, but this release? Meh. Doesn't affect me or the conditions I ordered under. Direct Telltale customers still get the best treatment overall.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't care, I didn't care, I never will care about things like this in the future. How many days earlier than the PC release was it? 9 days? Oooh...
  • edited April 2010
    I don't care, I didn't care, I never will care about things like this in the future. How many days earlier than the PC release was it? 9 days? Oooh...

Some people seem to outrage when a game is released 3 hours later on steam. This has to be hell for them.
  • edited April 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Some people seem to outrage when a game is released 3 hours later on steam. This has to be hell for them.
    Remember the Screaming Narwhal launch? =D
  • edited April 2010

Yes, but in this case (with the iPad), it's only a minority who are getting the game early. As vektsilver said, "the iPad folks don't have a huge install base yet". If it was the other way around, then it would be bad - if there were a large number of iPad buyers who had already bought the game, played it, and began flooding the forums while the PC users where forced to wait around while the stampeed of iPadders began to swarm around them spoiling everything (story, jokes, plot, characters, etc.). But that's not the case, it's only a small number of people who have the privilege of playing this game early, and good for them. They're not spoiling anything for us, so how does them getting the game early actually affect us - the answer is, it doesn't. I say we just suck it up and wait for the 15th.
  • edited April 2010
    Remember the Screaming Narwhal launch? =D

No. Since I live in germany I will miss the release of the games most times. I'm used to it by now.
    [...]But that's not the case
    I am really wondering why that is. Maybe people are playing around with the hardware and not buying games yet?
  • edited April 2010
    I can't even comprehend why anyone would be upset about this.
  • edited April 2010
    No. Since I live in germany I will miss the release of the games most times. I'm used to it by now.

When Tales came out I feverishly tapped my F5 button into the wee hours, if only to play for a bit so I could postulate on the puzzles and plot the next day in work while I was half-asleep
  • edited April 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I can't even comprehend why anyone would be upset about this.

I know, it's like when you're back in the first grades of school and you're jealous of another kid's toy.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not very upset, after all, we get it next week!
  • edited April 2010
    Wii players: are you upset that you do not receive your games the same time as PC players? PC/Mac players: do you own iPad? If not (to both), it doesn't really matter. If you can't play, you can't play. If you want to play, get the friggin platform.

I'm from Finland. It was common in 90's that we received games half a year to a year after US players. And no one really complained. But, of course, that was before internet.
  • edited April 2010
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm very happy for TellTale that they've been given the opportunity to be one of the launch apps for the iPad, and am glad they will get the extra money. I am not mad at TellTale. On the other hand, I have always been jealous if someone else gets the game days, hours, or even minutes before I did. Not insane WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS SHIT jealous, but jealous nontheless.
    The fact that it runs like crap is somewhat comforting, although it's sort of safe to assume TellTale will at least try to patch that. Still, on the positive side, it's safe to assume that won't happen before the PC release.
    What angers me the most is that, once again, the rich get it first. No, wait, that's not it. It's that the rich AMERICANS get it first. I've always been screwed for living in Israel, there's nothing here. The iPhone only arrived earlier this year (not that I care much, it's just an example). And over there, across the sea and the ocean, a lucky enough person to live in the right place and have the money for it, gets it before I did. AGAIN. This is supposed to be one of the things that internet-based distribution is supposed to eliminate.

But, of course, as fate had it, a kid in my school was in America that day, and got himself an iPad. He doesn't really like sharing it. :mad:
    That makes me even more jealous, because he's rich enough to travel to USA and back and get himself an iPad, and think nothing of it.

He won't get SaM, that's for sure, but this is a pretty messed up world.

In the end I only hate one thing - apple. Here is how apple works:
    1. Find something cool that they can use.
    2. Develop it so it's all smooth.
    3. Attatch it to crappy hardware and sell it. No, wait, sorry. I meant steal money.
    4. Make a "new version".
    5. Sell it for more, screwing over the previous customers.
    6. "One more version, then we're done with it."
    7. Make a "new product".
    8. Sell it for ten times its cost. Again.
    9. Profit!
    10. ?

Let me tell you what the question mark is. The question mark is some point in the future when everyone will realise what the apple morons are doing, and murder every single employee. Amen to that.

Conclusion: Apple, fuck you.
  • edited April 2010
    The previous post is rated 'M' for medium coarse language.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, someone is aiming for an aneurism before 20. And hopefully a deleted post.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh, come on, I'm only saying what I think... True, I got 'a little' sidetracted, but it's sorta relevant and I think it's pretty much true. As I stated in the post I'm not mad at TellTale, because they barely had any choice here, it would have been kind of stupid in some ways not to take this opportunity if they could.
  • edited April 2010
    Everyone's gonna get it eventually. What does it matter what system it was released on first? It's not even that long of a wait between releases. The first season of Sam & Max was released on GameTap before anything else. I don't remember so much complaining about it back then....or was there?
  • edited April 2010
    lol I guess people forget in the internet age everyone loves being first :p

I frowned upon not getting first, but it's just silly. People just have this silly notion that getting something first means anything.
  • edited April 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Oh, come on, I'm only saying what I think...

Perhaps, though if so you need help. At the very least you need to go outside into sunlight for a while and turn off the computer.
  • edited April 2010
    How is that relevant exactly?
  • edited April 2010
    The previous post is rated 'M' for medium coarse language.

I got suspended for a week about 3 months ago for using the word f***ing (literally... I censored the goddamn thing just like that)... my how the mighty have fallen,
  • edited April 2010
    it's sorta relevant and I think it's pretty much true.
    In the end I only hate one thing - apple. Here is how apple works:
    1. Find something cool that they can use.
    2. Develop it so it's all smooth.
    3. Attatch it to crappy hardware and sell it. No, wait, sorry. I meant steal money.
    4. Make a "new version".
    5. Sell it for more, screwing over the previous customers.
    6. "One more version, then we're done with it."
    7. Make a "new product".
    8. Sell it for ten times its cost. Again.
    9. Profit!
    10. ?

Conclusion: Apple, fuck you.
    1. Yes, triple yes. Cool is cool. If the device isn't cool, I don't want to use it (unless I'm compelled to).
    2. Yes, triple yes. That's why it's cooler than many other products.
    3. Irrelevant. Hardware is not just chip. Ever heard of unibody ? 8 hours batteries ? LED display ? Backlit keyboard ? Multitouch trackpad ? Multitouch mouse ? Magnetic power plug ? On- emand designed motherboard ?
    It's like saying Rodin's Thinker should be sold at its wheight stone price.
    4. 2010. You know, a computer's selling life is about six month. Apple or any other brand.
    5. Irrelevant. Apple or not, if a product doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it. You want an iPad but for you webcam is very important ? Don't buy it, it could be add next year. Easy.
    6. Irrelevant. Digital products always evolves.
    7. Are you suggesting that Apple is a company ? But I understand, I'd prefer they come up with an old product.
    8. Nope. R&D has a cost. Product is not just weld chips. At least not for apple and some other serious hardware companies.
    9. Really ? I thought products were made to grow flowers. Other companies don't want profit. Money is bad.
    10. You're using dirty words. Wash your mouth.
  • edited April 2010
    So instead of getting a bugged, unfinished version before the release we get the game for when it was originally intended. Ooooh, big deal. I don't see the point of paying $10 an episode, I have no problem waiting for the PC release
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    I don't see the point of paying $10 an episode, I have no problem waiting for the PC release
    Actually, The Penal Zone for iPad is $6.99 for the moment.
  • edited April 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    1. Yes, triple yes. Cool is cool. If the device isn't cool, I don't want to use it (unless I'm compelled to).
    2. Yes, triple yes. That's why it's cooler than many other products.
    3. Irrelevant. Hardware is not just chip. Ever heard of unibody ? 8 hours batteries ? LED display ? Backlit keyboard ? Multitouch trackpad ? Multitouch mouse ? Magnetic power plug ? On- emand designed motherboard ?
    It's like saying Rodin's Thinker should be sold at its wheight stone price.
    4. 2010. You know, a computer's selling life is about six month. Apple or any other brand.
    5. Irrelevant. Apple or not, if a product doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it. You want an iPad but for you webcam is very important ? Don't buy it, it could be add next year. Easy.
    6. Irrelevant. Digital products always evolves.
    7. Are you suggesting that Apple is a company ? But I understand, I'd prefer they come up with an old product.
    8. Nope. R&D has a cost. Product is not just weld chips. At least not for apple and some other serious hardware companies.
    9. Really ? I thought products were made to grow flowers. Other companies don't want profit. Money is bad.
    10. You're using dirty words. Wash your mouth.
    That was just a troll post. You basically took everything I said and made me sound as stupid as you could. But you're right. Some products ARE made to grow flowers.

So sorry, guys, for using the almighty forbidden F word. I can't undo it now that it was quoted though. So I might as well take this ban and wait it out.

You know I just wanted to speak my mind.. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Good for Telltale. I wish it wasn't buggy. In fact I hope they release a patch. The reason for that is that the ipad will help introduce Sam and Max to more individuals. The more interest in Sam and Max, the more future games. Since this is episodic content, think of it as ratings. I wish they came out with a 2D version for DS, PSP and iphone. Hell, release it for the Atari Lynx.
  • jmmjmm
    edited April 2010
    Nah. This "event" was probably a one time only thing (Come on! How many times a new device is launched in such close time proximity?)
    I'm more peeved by ToMI' exclusive deal (the exclusive "pre-order" cover) which was massively released using the "deluxe" option (And I'm not interested in Bone or missing episodes of W&G which I didn't like, and the Private Forum...meh)
    I'm not pre-ordering this time since I sense the "duluxe" option will return.
  • edited April 2010
    OnCallDoc wrote: »
    Good for Telltale. I wish it wasn't buggy. In fact I hope they release a patch. The reason for that is that the ipad will help introduce Sam and Max to more individuals. The more interest in Sam and Max, the more future games. Since this is episodic content, think of it as ratings. I wish they came out with a 2D version for DS, PSP and iphone. Hell, release it for the Atari Lynx.

I find the 'Playstation Network' mention on the video a bit unusual, rather than PS3. Made me wonder if they are planning a PSP port. Doubt it's powerful enough though.
  • edited April 2010
    You know I just wanted to speak my mind..

One of the requirements for speaking ones mind is to realize others will speak theirs as well.
    I find the 'Playstation Network' mention on the video a bit unusual, rather than PS3. Made me wonder if they are planning a PSP port. Doubt it's powerful enough though.

I would doubt it, PSP's playing around with what...a third of the raw power the iPad has? Half maybe? I'd figure on an iPhone port before that. Course maybe we'll finally get the PSP2 (the 2 is for the missing 2nd analog stick) and then Telltale might give a shot. *fingers crossed*
  • edited April 2010
    You basically took everything I said and made me sound as stupid as you could.

I must say, what you said helped me a lot, not much work.

(doesn't mean you're an idiot at all, you just sadly overreacted ;))
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not annoyed at all. Why would I be? I have other things in my life besides computer games, so it's not end of the world for me if I have to wait few weeks longer than someone else. Only version I care about is PC version and I don't care if game is available in all other formats earlier as long as there is eventually a PC version.
  • edited April 2010
    I have other things in my life besides computer games
    There's your problem right there.
  • edited April 2010
    I have other things in my life besides computer games
    There's your problem right there.

*sigh* There is more to life than computer games, as great as they are...
  • edited April 2010
    This bothers me because:
    1) The closed app ecosystem on the iPad shuts the door on exactly the sort of small development houses that Telltale used to be. If this were Telltale's first game, theres no way you'd be getting Sam & Max onto the iPad. You'd be censoring for the next 3 months.
    2) We, your loyal PC users, have always been here for you, Telltale. Always. We are and always will be the core of your consumer base. I have purchased every single one of your games. Your response to our loyalty has been to do what? Oh yeah, to release early for iPad, an as-yet-untried platform. This aggravates me because it says to me you don't appreciate my business and you'd rather have iPad users' business. In order to release early for the iPad, you would have prioritized its testing over the PC version's testing. I hope it's worth it to you, because as a consumer, I feel insulted. And that means I'm probably not buying Season 3.
  • edited April 2010
    yogsodoth wrote: »
    Your response to our loyalty has been to do what? Oh yeah, to release early for iPad, an as-yet-untried platform. This aggravates me because it says to me you don't appreciate my business and you'd rather have iPad users' business.
    Really? It says to me that they want both my business and iPad users' business. What actions-of-a-company to English phrasebook are you using?
  • edited April 2010
    Is this thread just starting to get surreal, or is it just me?
  • edited April 2010
    yogsodoth wrote: »
    2) We, your loyal PC users, have always been here for you, Telltale. Always.

Yeah, these pesky non-PC gamers, not buying games they couldn't have played! How dare they?
    I'm sure consumers from other platforms are just as loyal. It would be silly to dismiss them because they haven't bought telltale games until now, when they couldn't have.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.