Dear Internet - please quit being pessimistic b-tards. Also, relax. Thanks.

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
I already know this will make no difference to anyone.

But Internet. Come on. You've got to TAKE IT EASY.

On this board alone I keep seeing threads like this one:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16257

Or threads accusing Telltale of trying to gouge people for shipping costs to turn over profit.
Or accusing Telltale of trying to "force" people to buy iPads.
Or accusing Telltale's "marketing department" of false contents.
Or accusing Telltale of price gouging people on <pick your favorite gaming console>.
Or accusing Telltale of stealing your money when they release a version with a bug that affects .0001% of users, because it's not fixed within a week (and Telltale has already offered a refund).

...This is just a handful from the last 2 weeks on these forums. There's a scary number of examples from the last 4+ years.

Internet, you're a teaming mass of life. You're made up out of a lot of great people. But you have to chill. Take a breath. Take two.

And there's no reason to treat Telltale like that. What reason would anyone have to think that anyone at that company is ever doing anything with ANY shady intention at all? These guys seem to be the epitome of stand-up gaming company, yet you abuse them so much. Not only is it rude, insulting, and unwarranted, but it's embarrassing to other parts of the Internet. And totally unfair and discouraging to the guys that build the things you like so much.

I know people on the 'nets like to obsess about games to an almost creepy level. But be fair and honest in your creepiness. Quit flying off the handle. Stop making wild accusations. THINK before you throw random crap out there. Golden rule, and all that stuff.

Above all, have fun gaming. That's why we're here.
Ripcord, the 'net nanny.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Telltale Games ate my dog.
  • edited April 2010
    This thread touched me in a bad place.
    Edit: On a serious note, I don't tend to take the internet nor much said on it to be of a particularly serious nature. I also tend to believe that Telltale has a thicker skin, y'know being a company and all. Also, you're addressing a faceless entity.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010
    With great games comes great responsibility.
  • edited April 2010
    With great games comes great responsibility.

Exactly.
  • edited April 2010
    evidence is evidence

people are people

companies change and try to adapt

but one thing i have learned in my many years of the netwebs.. is that starting a thread like this is like painting a bullseye on your bum and asking for quip or retort or something snappy back

i say this to thee kind forum dweller
    try not to tell people what to do,
    regardless of what they view (yes I just broke this rule by telling you to do this.. such is the paradox)

its obviously more than a few people's concern, including mine.. seems very odd and a strange new river for the company that once held a dammed lake of goodness now spilling over into the nether regions of 'exclusives and ' console type control...and yes the dreaded ipads (shudder)

and yes someone posted earlier.. im not stupid I know you can use the keyboard, Just use max's power and watch the analog stick appear from no where yeaa.. nice one
    (sometimes it stays stuck mid screen)

im a huge telltale fan, mainly due to their course and company(the people in it)
    the who and the why was the main factor.
    the first few games were .. well.. not great but started them on a road that lead.. well here

I loved the new SM 3-1
    i just felt it tooo.. geared for a controller and a tv screen with my huge PAUSED screen and odd menus

wow i digress.

to each his own.. and to thine own mods be true.

they will mod as they see libel or whatnot.. the rest is just .. freedom of speech on a public(yet registered) forum thread.

(shrug)

or as me pappy would say

i could doo doo in one hand and wish in the other and see which would fill first...

(hmm)
  • edited April 2010
    1. The anonymity of the internet has opened up a vent for all those who stfu irl.
    2. A dissatified customer stirs up dirt. A satisfied customer doesn't. A dissatisfied customer who is vocal about his complaint also antagonizes defenders of the cause to pop up and do their thing.

So to conclude: it ain't no big thang. Don't give the whiners unnecessary attention that's all.
  • edited April 2010
    Pffft.

Raging on the internet is fun! And a victimless act.
  • edited April 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    evidence is evidence

people are people

companies change and try to adapt

but one thing i have learned in my many years of the netwebs.. is that starting a thread like this is like painting a bullseye on your bum and asking for quip or retort or something snappy back

Quip and retort.
  • edited April 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Pffft.

Raging on the internet is fun! And a victimless act.

Victimless? Are you kidding me? Yelling at people who were trying to please you and planned nice surprises for you? How can you not see that you're hurting them? And why is my post made entirely of questions, apart from your quote?
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, it would be a shame if Telltale had to turn "evil" because they couldn't entrust their fanbase with their awesomeness like the hats action...
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Victimless? Are you kidding me? Yelling at people who were trying to please you and planned nice surprises for you? How can you not see that you're hurting them? And why is my post made entirely of questions, apart from your quote?

The tf2 hats were nice.

But raging is too much fun!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • edited April 2010
    Telltale Games tricked me into painting their fence.
  • edited April 2010
    Once again, I think a common problem is how people fail to see each other's feelings.
    I'm not saying I'm never guilty of this, but it feels people would be much lesser jerks if only they realised how the other person felt or tried to put themselves in their shoes.
    It's so easy to assume you're the only one suffering and everyone is out to get you. It's funny (well, not really "funny") but I've noticed the less suffering people have actually gone through or witnessed, the more they act like they're the victim and everybody else is happy and mean.
  • edited April 2010
    someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

Internet heroes unite!
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, I think this one might suit better:

internet_argument.png
    It's easier to be an asshole to words than to people.
  • edited April 2010
    Internet threw me a birthday party
  • edited April 2010
    If people wanna complain they can complain. Telltale's a company like every other company out there, you give em money, they give you a product. You're not happy then you complain.

None of this stuff mentioned annoyed me, but i'd rather people complained about silly things than noone complained at all and just jumped ship, i'm sure others think the same
  • edited April 2010
    Well, keeps the place alive at least :D.
  • edited April 2010
    AH YEAH? WELL... WELL ...

so's your face!

(Just in case someone doesn't get it: do not take this post seriously. it's not supposed to be serious. i'm just incredibly bored)
  • edited April 2010
    I think the problem isn't people complaining as much as the way they complain, and the fact that they often don't try to figure out the facts first, or don't let the employees explain anything.

Of course you can criticise things, but if you're constantly aggressive it doesn't make for a good atmosphere. I realise people might just have had a bad day and need to vent, but sometimes it gets frustrating, I guess.
    You know the candy that had "win" or "lose" inside of them? And if you had "win", you got an extra candy (and you could win several times in a row). Well sometimes it feels like people are complaining that they want every piece of candy to be winning, because otherwise it's unfair.

And people are just so more vocal and eloquent or something when they're upset. When we're happy we go "yay, we love you!" but we don't express it as much, as strongly or as well, so it ends up feeling like everyone is annoyed, upset or complaining all the time. I wouldn't want it to be like that. Imagine if the plushies I made, people would start raging that I didn't make the one they wanted or that I'm not making one for them? I'd feel terrible! I'm making them because I'm hoping people will be happy to see them, and as something extra and free, and it would be greeted by complains and yells and accusations, insults and swears? I'd be devastated for sure.
    It just... Maybe they're all super-strong or maybe they just know how much most of us love them, and that the ones who complain mostly love them too. Maybe it doesn't phase them. But when I see that all I want is go give them all a big hug and tell them they're wonderful, and not to let it get to them.

I guess to some extent I also want to tell the people who complain that I'm sorry they're feeling so terrible, but to please try and see it from the other side. You can't just spit in someone's face when they give you something because you think it's not good enough.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah but this is the wild wild web, it's just the nature of the thing when loads of people are behind a keyboard. You learn what to ignore and what to take notice of after a while.

I def skim read the long ranty posts... and a ton of Rather Dashing's cos that guy just goes on and on and...
  • edited April 2010
    Dear OP,

Lost cause.

Sincerely,
    A non-vocal minority member of the internet who agrees with you
  • edited April 2010
    I think it's time for another gift basket to TTG. :p (I still feel bad that I was never able to chip in for those)

The atmosphere of these forums are such that it feels more like just a bunch of folks BSing about their common interest (with a number of members who just happen to make great games), and less like COMPANY vs CUSTOMER.

One would think that this would quell people's instinct to assume they're being screwed, but anonymity wins again. That said, the rage to satisfaction ratio here is still one of the best I've seen on a company's forum.
  • edited April 2010
    until they show better support.. as in replies to stuff about stores and activation (still locked out of private sm thread)

im not gifting to the basket :P

waaaaaaaaaahh (cries)

and yes retort and quip

smarties :P
  • edited April 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »

Awesome!
    ...but I'm already home.

EDIT: wait, when did you get all bold?
  • edited April 2010
    There's /b/tards everywhere? Or is that just a term for people you don't like on the internet nowadays?
  • edited April 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    There's /b/tards everywhere? Or is that just a term for people you don't like on the internet nowadays?

Ooh, you think it means people from /b/? I thought it was a censored "bastards".
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I def skim read the long ranty posts... and a ton of Rather Dashing's cos that guy just goes on and on and...

OMG! I knew I wasn't the only one. Same with Secret Fawful.
  • edited April 2010
    Does anyone skip my posts?
  • edited April 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    OMG! I knew I wasn't the only one. Same with Secret Fawful.

I like to make sure no one reads my posts, so I add in ten extra adjectives per noun and I make sure I replace words with synonyms that are extra long.
  • edited April 2010
    I find it highly disconcerting that people are ignoring my posts. After all, I do try to think extensively about what it is that I am including in my posts. Besides, I think a long post generally has more thought and discussion value than a short one. I often find myself enjoying a good read of a longer forum post, because I know the person involved has a lot to say. On the 24th of February, 1815, the look-out at Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples. As usual, a pilot put off immediately, and rounding the Chateau d'If, got on board the vessel between Cape Morgion and Rion island. Immediately, and according to custom, the ramparts of Fort Saint-Jean were covered with spectators; it is always an event at Marseilles for a ship to come into port, especially when this ship, like the Pharaon, has been built, rigged, and laden at the old Phocee docks, and belongs to an owner of the city. The ship drew on and had safely passed the strait, which some volcanic shock has made between the Calasareigne and Jaros islands; had doubled Pomegue, and approached the harbor under topsails, jib, and spanker, but so slowly and sedately that the idlers, with that instinct which is the forerunner of evil, asked one another what misfortune could have happened on board. However, those experienced in navigation saw plainly that if any accident had occurred, it was not to the vessel herself, for she bore down with all the evidence of being skilfully handled, the anchor a-cockbill, the jib-boom guys already eased off, and standing by the side of the pilot, who was steering the Pharaon towards the narrow entrance of the inner port, was a young man, who, with activity and vigilant eye, watched every motion of the ship, and repeated each direction of the pilot. The vague disquietude which prevailed among the spectators had so much affected one of the crowd that he did not await the arrival of the vessel in harbor, but jumping into a small skiff, desired to be pulled alongside the Pharaon, which he reached as she rounded into La Reserve basin. When the young man on board saw this person approach, he left his station by the pilot, and, hat in hand, leaned over the ship's bulwarks. He was a fine, tall, slim young fellow of eighteen or twenty, with black eyes, and hair as dark as a raven's wing; and his whole appearance bespoke that calmness and resolution peculiar to men accustomed from their cradle to contend with danger. "Ah, is it you, Dantes?" cried the man in the skiff. "What's the matter? and why have you such an air of sadness aboard?" "A great misfortune, M. Morrel," replied the young man,—"a great misfortune, for me especially! Off Civita Vecchia we lost our brave Captain Leclere." "And the cargo?" inquired the owner, eagerly. "Is all safe, M. Morrel; and I think you will be satisfied on that head. But poor Captain Leclere—"

"What happened to him?" asked the owner, with an air of considerable resignation. "What happened to the worthy captain?" "He died." "Fell into the sea?" "No, sir, he died of brain-fever in dreadful agony." Then turning to the crew, he said, "Bear a hand there, to take in sail!"

All hands obeyed, and at once the eight or ten seamen who composed the crew, sprang to their respective stations at the spanker brails and outhaul, topsail sheets and halyards, the jib downhaul, and the topsail clewlines and buntlines. The young sailor gave a look to see that his orders were promptly and accurately obeyed, and then turned again to the owner.

"And how did this misfortune occur?" inquired the latter, resuming the interrupted conversation. "Alas, sir, in the most unexpected manner. After a long talk with the harbor-master, Captain Leclere left Naples greatly disturbed in mind. In twenty-four hours he was attacked by a fever, and died three days afterwards. We performed the usual burial service, and he is at his rest, sewn up in his hammock with a thirty-six pound shot at his head and his heels, off El Giglio island. We bring to his widow his sword and cross of honor. It was worth while, truly," added the young man with a melancholy smile, "to make war against the English for ten years, and to die in his bed at last, like everybody else."

"Why, you see, Edmond," replied the owner, who appeared more comforted at every moment, "we are all mortal, and the old must make way for the young. If not, why, there would be no promotion; and since you assure me that the cargo—"

"Is all safe and sound, M. Morrel, take my word for it; and I advise you not to take 25,000 francs for the profits of the voyage."

Then, as they were just passing the Round Tower, the young man shouted: "Stand by there to lower the topsails and jib; brail up the spanker!"

The order was executed as promptly as it would have been on board a man-of-war.

"Let go—and clue up!" At this last command all the sails were lowered, and the vessel moved almost imperceptibly onwards.

"Now, if you will come on board, M. Morrel," said Dantes, observing the owner's impatience, "here is your supercargo, M. Danglars, coming out of his cabin, who will furnish you with every particular. As for me, I must look after the anchoring, and dress the ship in mourning."

The owner did not wait for a second invitation. He seized a rope which Dantes flung to him, and with an activity that would have done credit to a sailor, climbed up the side of the ship, while the young man, going to his task, left the conversation to Danglars, who now came towards the owner. He was a man of twenty-five or twenty-six years of age, of unprepossessing countenance, obsequious to his superiors, insolent to his subordinates; and this, in addition to his position as responsible agent on board, which is always obnoxious to the sailors, made him as much disliked by the crew as Edmond Dantes was beloved by them.

"Well, M. Morrel," said Danglars, "you have heard of the misfortune that has befallen us?"

"Yes—yes: poor Captain Leclere! He was a brave and an honest man."

"And a first-rate seaman, one who had seen long and honorable service, as became a man charged with the interests of a house so important as that of Morrel & Son," replied Danglars.

"But," replied the owner, glancing after Dantes, who was watching the anchoring of his vessel, "it seems to me that a sailor needs not be so old as you say, Danglars, to understand his business, for our friend Edmond seems to understand it thoroughly, and not to require instruction from any one."

"Yes," said Danglars, darting at Edmond a look gleaming with hate. "Yes, he is young, and youth is invariably self-confident. Scarcely was the captain's breath out of his body when he assumed the command without consulting any one, and he caused us to lose a day and a half at the Island of Elba, instead of making for Marseilles direct."

"As to taking command of the vessel," replied Morrel, "that was his duty as captain's mate; as to losing a day and a half off the Island of Elba, he was wrong, unless the vessel needed repairs."

"The vessel was in as good condition as I am, and as, I hope you are, M. Morrel, and this day and a half was lost from pure whim, for the pleasure of going ashore, and nothing else."

"Dantes," said the shipowner, turning towards the young man, "come this way!"

"In a moment, sir," answered Dantes, "and I'm with you." Then calling to the crew, he said—"Let go!"

The anchor was instantly dropped, and the chain ran rattling through the port-hole. Dantes continued at his post in spite of the presence of the pilot, until this manoeuvre was completed, and then he added, "Half-mast the colors, and square the yards!"

"You see," said Danglars, "he fancies himself captain already, upon my word."

"And so, in fact, he is," said the owner.

"Except your signature and your partner's, M. Morrel."

"And why should he not have this?" asked the owner; "he is young, it is true, but he seems to me a thorough seaman, and of full experience."

A cloud passed over Danglars' brow. "Your pardon, M. Morrel," said Dantes, approaching, "the vessel now rides at anchor, and I am at your service. You hailed me, I think?"

Danglars retreated a step or two. "I wished to inquire why you stopped at the Island of Elba?"

"I do not know, sir; it was to fulfil the last instructions of Captain Leclere, who, when dying, gave me a packet for Marshal Bertrand." "Then did you see him, Edmond?" "Who?" "The marshal."

tl;dr: I like chocolate chip cookies.
  • edited April 2010
    I find it highly disconcerting that people are ignoring my posts. After all, I do try to think extensively about what it is that I am including in my posts. Besides, I think a long post generally has more thought and discussion value than a short one. I often find myself enjoying a good read of a longer forum post, because I know the person involved has a lot to say. On the 24th of February, 1815, the look-out at Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples. As usual, a pilot put off immediately, and rounding the Chateau d'If, got on board the vessel between Cape Morgion and Rion island. Immediately, and according to custom, the ramparts of Fort Saint-Jean were covered with spectators; it is always an event at Marseilles for a ship to come into port, especially when this ship, like the Pharaon, has been built, rigged, and laden at the old Phocee docks, and belongs to an owner of the city. The ship drew on and had safely passed the strait, which some volcanic shock has made between the Calasareigne and Jaros islands; had doubled Pomegue, and approached the harbor under topsails, jib, and spanker, but so slowly and sedately that the idlers, with that instinct which is the forerunner of evil, asked one another what misfortune could have happened on board. However, those experienced in navigation saw plainly that if any accident had occurred, it was not to the vessel herself, for she bore down with all the evidence of being skilfully handled, the anchor a-cockbill, the jib-boom guys already eased off, and standing by the side of the pilot, who was steering the Pharaon towards the narrow entrance of the inner port, was a young man, who, with activity and vigilant eye, watched every motion of the ship, and repeated each direction of the pilot. The vague disquietude which prevailed among the spectators had so much affected one of the crowd that he did not await the arrival of the vessel in harbor, but jumping into a small skiff, desired to be pulled alongside the Pharaon, which he reached as she rounded into La Reserve basin. When the young man on board saw this person approach, he left his station by the pilot, and, hat in hand, leaned over the ship's bulwarks. He was a fine, tall, slim young fellow of eighteen or twenty, with black eyes, and hair as dark as a raven's wing; and his whole appearance bespoke that calmness and resolution peculiar to men accustomed from their cradle to contend with danger. "Ah, is it you, Dantes?" cried the man in the skiff. "What's the matter? and why have you such an air of sadness aboard?" "A great misfortune, M. Morrel," replied the young man,—"a great misfortune, for me especially! Off Civita Vecchia we lost our brave Captain Leclere." "And the cargo?" inquired the owner, eagerly. "Is all safe, M. Morrel; and I think you will be satisfied on that head. But poor Captain Leclere—"

"What happened to him?" asked the owner, with an air of considerable resignation. "What happened to the worthy captain?" "He died." "Fell into the sea?" "No, sir, he died of brain-fever in dreadful agony." Then turning to the crew, he said, "Bear a hand there, to take in sail!"

All hands obeyed, and at once the eight or ten seamen who composed the crew, sprang to their respective stations at the spanker brails and outhaul, topsail sheets and halyards, the jib downhaul, and the topsail clewlines and buntlines. The young sailor gave a look to see that his orders were promptly and accurately obeyed, and then turned again to the owner.

"And how did this misfortune occur?" inquired the latter, resuming the interrupted conversation. "Alas, sir, in the most unexpected manner. After a long talk with the harbor-master, Captain Leclere left Naples greatly disturbed in mind. In twenty-four hours he was attacked by a fever, and died three days afterwards. We performed the usual burial service, and he is at his rest, sewn up in his hammock with a thirty-six pound shot at his head and his heels, off El Giglio island. We bring to his widow his sword and cross of honor. It was worth while, truly," added the young man with a melancholy smile, "to make war against the English for ten years, and to die in his bed at last, like everybody else."

"Why, you see, Edmond," replied the owner, who appeared more comforted at every moment, "we are all mortal, and the old must make way for the young. If not, why, there would be no promotion; and since you assure me that the cargo—"

"Is all safe and sound, M. Morrel, take my word for it; and I advise you not to take 25,000 francs for the profits of the voyage."

Then, as they were just passing the Round Tower, the young man shouted: "Stand by there to lower the topsails and jib; brail up the spanker!"

The order was executed as promptly as it would have been on board a man-of-war.

"Let go—and clue up!" At this last command all the sails were lowered, and the vessel moved almost imperceptibly onwards.

"Now, if you will come on board, M. Morrel," said Dantes, observing the owner's impatience, "here is your supercargo, M. Danglars, coming out of his cabin, who will furnish you with every particular. As for me, I must look after the anchoring, and dress the ship in mourning."

The owner did not wait for a second invitation. He seized a rope which Dantes flung to him, and with an activity that would have done credit to a sailor, climbed up the side of the ship, while the young man, going to his task, left the conversation to Danglars, who now came towards the owner. He was a man of twenty-five or twenty-six years of age, of unprepossessing countenance, obsequious to his superiors, insolent to his subordinates; and this, in addition to his position as responsible agent on board, which is always obnoxious to the sailors, made him as much disliked by the crew as Edmond Dantes was beloved by them.

"Well, M. Morrel," said Danglars, "you have heard of the misfortune that has befallen us?"

"Yes—yes: poor Captain Leclere! He was a brave and an honest man."

"And a first-rate seaman, one who had seen long and honorable service, as became a man charged with the interests of a house so important as that of Morrel & Son," replied Danglars.

"But," replied the owner, glancing after Dantes, who was watching the anchoring of his vessel, "it seems to me that a sailor needs not be so old as you say, Danglars, to understand his business, for our friend Edmond seems to understand it thoroughly, and not to require instruction from any one."

"Yes," said Danglars, darting at Edmond a look gleaming with hate. "Yes, he is young, and youth is invariably self-confident. Scarcely was the captain's breath out of his body when he assumed the command without consulting any one, and he caused us to lose a day and a half at the Island of Elba, instead of making for Marseilles direct."

"As to taking command of the vessel," replied Morrel, "that was his duty as captain's mate; as to losing a day and a half off the Island of Elba, he was wrong, unless the vessel needed repairs."

"The vessel was in as good condition as I am, and as, I hope you are, M. Morrel, and this day and a half was lost from pure whim, for the pleasure of going ashore, and nothing else."

"Dantes," said the shipowner, turning towards the young man, "come this way!"

"In a moment, sir," answered Dantes, "and I'm with you." Then calling to the crew, he said—"Let go!"

The anchor was instantly dropped, and the chain ran rattling through the port-hole. Dantes continued at his post in spite of the presence of the pilot, until this manoeuvre was completed, and then he added, "Half-mast the colors, and square the yards!"

"You see," said Danglars, "he fancies himself captain already, upon my word."

"And so, in fact, he is," said the owner.

"Except your signature and your partner's, M. Morrel."

"And why should he not have this?" asked the owner; "he is young, it is true, but he seems to me a thorough seaman, and of full experience."

A cloud passed over Danglars' brow. "Your pardon, M. Morrel," said Dantes, approaching, "the vessel now rides at anchor, and I am at your service. You hailed me, I think?"

Danglars retreated a step or two. "I wished to inquire why you stopped at the Island of Elba?"

"I do not know, sir; it was to fulfil the last instructions of Captain Leclere, who, when dying, gave me a packet for Marshal Bertrand." "Then did you see him, Edmond?" "Who?" "The marshal."

tl;dr: I like chocolate chip cookies.

I bolded the part that matters.
  • edited April 2010
    Andrew, quoting that entire post should count as spam.

Dashing: where did you get that from?
  • edited April 2010
    Andrew, quoting that entire post should count as spam.

But... but that whole ordeal itself was not?
  • edited April 2010
    Dashing: where did you get that from?
    Here.
  • edited April 2010

Ah! I was wondering :)

Andrew: as bad as posting it the first time was, repeating it will always be worse.
  • edited April 2010
    I.... I'm hurt.
  • edited April 2010
    I would add, it's worse when you have nothing relevant or interesting to say :P Quoting a huge post, in bits, and responding to each point, is perfectly readable and can be quite interesting.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.