I would buy a Jurassic Park adventure game game made by Telltale...

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    if it's NBC/Universal in general, does that mean we're going to see, like, games based on Chuck, 30 Rock, or The Office? Are you going to open this up fully to speculate what other properties are going into the pipeline?

Like this, you mean?

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17232
  • edited June 2010
    I dont know if this would work!

Jurassic Park was never about story or characters, it was about situations, the feeling of threat and just dinosaur-action. How can this be adequatly delivered in an "Point n Click"-game?

A good JP-Game needs immersion and survival-horror-elements and maybe be fast-paced from time to time, only an FPS-Adventure would do that, maybe like Penumbra or something, but like Black Mirror or Sam and Max?? No way!

To prove my point, look at the SEGA-CD JP-Adventure:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gucxiF3PYDU
    A good example of how it cannot work, and this is actually the only way I can imagine how to translate that movie into a PointNClick.

I hope I will be proven wrong, at least its something.
  • edited June 2010
    It's been a while since Telltale has had point and click control in a game.
  • edited June 2010
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    I dont know if this would work!

Jurassic Park was never about story or characters, it was about situations, the feeling of threat and just dinosaur-action. How can this be adequatly delivered in an "Point n Click"-game?

I know I'm just going on and on here but-

That's not true. In a nutshell the story had a LOT of important themes like "can science go too far" and "can man always control his environment" and "nature will always find a way". The characters were intriguing and charismatic. These are story elements that Telltale shouldn't forget when making the game. The movies weren't just about the terror and nastiness in the jaws of the most fearsome of the dinosaurs, but it also projected the majesty and grandeur of some of the mightier creatures that ever walked the earth, and the discovery and adventure in stepping into a world that man never knew, that passed this earth millions of years ago. The fear and tenseness of the creatures was only ONE part of the excitement. I think Dan Connors said something fantastic when he said he wanted the game to be a "cinematic experience".

default.jpg
    Jurassic Park - Journey to the Island

Listen to this song from the movie, and tell me it doesn't express so much more than "lawl dinosaurs eating people and roaring". Adventure, discovery, knowledge, etc. That's what the first movie was really about.
  • edited June 2010
    I will be frank*:
    I'll buy ANY adventure game made by Telltale, so... Jurassic Park? Why not? I quite like the franchise.

* I've always wondered who this "Frank" is, but it will always be better than the Spanish version: "Voy a ser franco", because Franco was the dictator who ruled Spain from 1936 to 1975.
  • edited June 2010
    I know I'm just going on and on here but-

That's not true. In a nutshell the story had a LOT of important themes like "can science go too far" and "can man always control his environment" and "nature will always find a way". The characters were intriguing and charismatic. These are story elements that Telltale shouldn't forget when making the game. The movies weren't just about the terror and nastiness in the jaws of the most fearsome of the dinosaurs, but it also projected the majesty and grandeur of some of the mightier creatures that ever walked the earth, and the discovery and adventure in stepping into a world that man never knew, that passed this earth millions of years ago. The fear and tenseness of the creatures was only ONE part of the excitement. I think Dan Connors said something fantastic when he said he wanted the game to be a "cinematic experience".

default.jpg
    Jurassic Park - Journey to the Island

Listen to this song from the movie, and tell me it doesn't express so much more than "lawl dinosaurs eating people and roaring". Adventure, discovery, knowledge, etc. That's what the first movie was really about.

You are right, Jurassic Park had a lot of big emotional adventure feeling in the first half, I remember the Brachiosaur scene. But even that can only be delivered in cut-scenes when doing it PointNClick style, wich would have not half of the feeling when you would do it yourself in an FPS-game! Imagine Half Life as an PointNClick-Adventure, you get te point!

The quotes you said were nice, but were not so important in the first movie in my opinion. The reason why I really love that movie and what really stayed in my mind, were the T-Rex-Scene, the Velociraptors, the whole second half of the film, the excitement as a child knowing the T-Rex will come, the perfect survival-horror feeling, knowing that there are dangerous animals chasing and you must flee and hide, THATS what Jurassic Park is really about.

That feeling cannot really be deliverd in a PointNClick-Adventure-game.
  • edited June 2010
    Wow, lots of hate in here. I still can't quite believe it, but I think it's insanely exciting. It's Jurassic Park! I think I can understand younger people (and I'm not even that old!) not understanding the love some people have for movies like Jurassic Park, but I can still remember how those movies made me feel as a kid, especially the first one. One of the big Hollywood blockbusters that made the biggest impact on me when I was young, together with Indiana Jones and Back to the Future. This is amazing. I never saw this coming, but yeah, I'm excited. I consider this the most surprising Telltale franchise, even after Monkey Island, which already was an impossible event.
  • edited June 2010
    BTW I was reading around on the net about this and I came across a great EPIC topic on these forums. And I do not use the word EPIC a lot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397537

This is how this forum should have reacted.

Stand out posts include -
    I AM JOHN wrote:
    Point and click finds a way.
    kodatsu wrote:
    Genius plan to get Jeff Goldblum in the studio

brandonh83 wrote:
    Telltale is making a Jurassic Park adventure game
    6i6tte.jpg
    God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man. Man creates adventure games. Man destroys adventure games. Man destroys god. Man creates adventure games with dinosaurs.

People ARE excited for this.
  • edited June 2010
    I've split the BttF posts off into their own thread here;

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17241
  • edited June 2010
    The best Jurassic Park game I ever played was actually called Dino Crisis 2 :D

They already said that the fourth movie would go in a completely different direction than the others, perhaps this game will follow its lead?

You know, I think Telltale has proven that they can work in a sense of urgency in their adventure games. I remember the rampaging robot in the opening sequence of S&M season 2, the battle with LeChuck at the end of Tales, and fighting Skun'kapé on board his ship in S&M season 3. I think a similar thing can be achieved while the player is threatened by raptors. The only question I have is: will you be able to die? I don't hate anything more than a trial & error sequence which resets the scene everytime you fail - after the twentieth attempt I no longer feel like continuing the game ... But for JP death should be an actual threat, being more about "horror" than "comedy".
  • edited June 2010
    They already said that the fourth movie would go in a completely different direction than the others, perhaps this game will follow its lead?
    article wrote:
    Connors said the games, which are in the early stages of development, would tell new stories extending the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" lore. He teased that the "Back to the Future" games may include a DeLorean ride back to the 1970s while the "Jurassic Park" games would be intense and add new backstories to the series' man-versus-dinosaur mythology.

"The games are going to exist within these worlds," said Connors. "I wouldn't call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it's an introduction to these series. For another generation, it's a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends."

From here:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h5nxzcnlNVZIOXev0Elw-ub182YgD9G7MFF80
  • edited June 2010
    Not sure how this one is going to work. I remain sceptical about this one and look foward to Back To The Future instead.
  • edited June 2010
    I couldn't be more pleased. This is right in my wheelhouse. I was obsessed with Jurassic Park as a kid. I will buy this ASAP.

Telltale knows how to tug on my heart strings.
  • edited June 2010
    Im interested on this but I KNOW my little cousin is going to buy/preorder this instantly(if he ever figures it out and his laptop can play it)
  • edited June 2010
    I'm not too thrilled about this. There's just something wrong with this idea. But I have to wait and see, maybe Telltale can somehow make this work.
  • edited June 2010
    Not quite sure, but I think worth mentioning(if not done before... 5 pages of... let's say, not perfect english, are too much for a not native speaker^^), but:
    I think JP might end up not being an Adventure. The press release only mentions "episodic interactive entertainment" all the time and never speaks of Advnetures(of which I am not quite sure), and although TTG only did this one poker game before, JP could end up being an action game. Seeing how they try a "new" Genre with Puzzle Agent (kind of, at least), this isn't even impropable, and would give the new pilot system even more sense.
    I only say this because I can't see an Adventure based on such a film. Not that I'd hate JP, never really saw them, but you hear stuff. Nevertheless, I, for my part, will probably not buy any TTG-JP-Game, since I am no fan(didnt buy W&G or this other adventure with the long name either).

Again, I sincerely hope noone mentioned it before, and if someone did, you won't toast my delicious meat or push me into a fire... :)
  • edited June 2010
    Clever girl.
  • TorTor
    edited June 2010
    ark4869 wrote: »
    I think JP might end up not being an Adventure.(...) JP could end up being an action game.
    Yes, I suppose it is a possibility. Or maybe some kind of hybrid between the two.
  • edited June 2010
    Dogson, we've got Dogson here!

Sorry, I just had to quote that :p

Long live to Jurassic Park!
  • edited June 2010
    I love this trilogy (except for part 3)! Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park and Back to the Future are THE movies from my youth (Well theres more, but those stick out). We already have ghostbusters and now there'll be Jurassic Park and back to the future! yay.

You better not mess this up Telltale! :mad:
  • edited June 2010
    Instant buy. Can't wait. <3
  • edited June 2010
    Just read the Back to the Future game is coming first. I want the Jurassic Park game first. :(
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a question to consider and discuss:

In order to get the tension that the Jurassic Park movies attained, and assuming they're sticking with adventure games, which is what they do best, would it be necessary for them to make an exception to their "You can't die in a Telltale Game" rule? Can the same level of terror be obtained if we always know that whatever we do, those Velociraptors are going to be stuck behind that door until you have the trap completely set up to keep them from eating you? Or is it more important that they stand by their policy and keep the game unfrustrating?
  • edited June 2010
    Pak-Man wrote: »

In order to get the tension that the Jurassic Park movies attained, and assuming they're sticking with adventure games, which is what they do best, would it be necessary for them to make an exception to their "You can't die in a Telltale Game" rule? Can the same level of terror be obtained if we always know that whatever we do, those Velociraptors are going to be stuck behind that door until you have the trap completely set up to keep them from eating you? Or is it more important that they stand by their policy and keep the game unfrustrating?

yeah, i think this should be an exception. Actually i think a game like the human portions of the King Kong game would fit Jurass Park best, but i'm looking forward to this
  • edited June 2010
    Tor wrote: »
    Yes, I suppose it is a possibility. Or maybe some kind of hybrid between the two.

Yeah. In another board, someone said it could be like Heavy Rain, and I could imagine this indeed. Although the two pre-posters are right, dying should be... "essential", or many, many variable endings. But in a episodic game, this is impropable...
  • edited June 2010

In order to get the tension that the Jurassic Park movies attained, and assuming they're sticking with adventure games, which is what they do best, would it be necessary for them to make an exception to their "You can't die in a Telltale Game" rule?

That is assuming ofcourse we play as the humans. You could even have puzzles:

jurassic-park-center-door.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Use "Forehead" On "Display"

Doing that puzzle over and over for the duration of the game would be the most fun ever.
  • edited June 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    ach. thanks for setting me straight. In the flurry of late-night excitement, i must have missed that. sorry!

anyway, Jurassic park game! We need a sick dinosaur diagnosing minigame, complete with big pile of dinosaur poop!
  • edited June 2010
    stemot wrote: »
    I [...] look forward to Back To The Future instead.

*giggles*
  • I'm still hoping for Ian Malcolm.

jeff-jp1.jpg
  • TorTor
    edited June 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    complete with big pile of dinosaur poop!
    I support this. Dinosaur poop pile for president!
  • edited June 2010

It was not uncommon for old adventure games to let you die and need to restore your last saved game. Most old Sierra games, like King's Quest or Space Quest, for example, allowed you to die. In this case, I hope it autosaves, because repeating the last hour of play is annoying.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm curious about how they're going do this. I mean, I think Back to the Future is the easier series to make a game like Telltale usually do so will they be adapting the style of the Jurassic Park series to what they're used to making or will this see a different approach to adventure games being created by Telltale. I'll look on in interest in the coming months, but I (like most people on this forum I would guess, given the amount of attention the respective areas of the forum are getting) am more looking forward to the Back to the Future games.
  • edited June 2010
    jeff-jp1.jpg

All of my reasons for wanting Ian Malcolm, handily surmised in a single image. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Even though I'm not particullary fond of the Jurassic Park franchise, I look foward to this.
    Oh, and I want a "You didn't say the magic word!" screen put in the game. I don't care how, just do it Telltale, please.
  • edited June 2010
    I do think this could work. My mind is drawn to Jurassic Park The Ride, in Universal Studios Islands of Adventure, which successfully conveyed the whole range of Jurassic Park related experiences and emotions. There's a strong kinship between video games and theme park rides, so I trust those experiences can be conveyed well by Telltale too.
  • edited June 2010
    Sounds better than Back to the Future to me but is also doesn't get me excited.

Again part one was great and then things got worse whilst in comparison to Back to the Future the successors were more enjoyable. I like Sam Neil as an actor, especially in Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.

I just don't think that going this film licence route is the right way for me as an adventure games player. But if they are going this route i would have hoped for different licences.
  • edited June 2010
    Dudes. The Jurassic Park hate. Why?

It's an amazing movie.

After having read the book, I can't agree. The movie butchered the book so badly that I can't look at it in a positive manner.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    All of my reasons for wanting Ian Malcolm, handily surmised in a single image. :p

As a child, I was slightly confused by this scene because I didn't understand why Malcolm was acting weird. Now I get it! He's being sexy. :p
  • edited June 2010
    sfox wrote: »
    After having read the book, I can't agree. The movie butchered the book so badly that I can't look at it in a positive manner.

Did the book have Jeff Goldblum? I think not.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.