The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

15678911»

Comments

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    James Arnold Taylor voiced Tidus?! O_O O_O O_O

Oh my... oh my...

He's also the current voice of Ratchet from the Ratchet and Clank series.
    I don't think he was good voicing Tidus. But he was great voicing Ratchet. :D
  • edited December 2010
    People forget that VA in games had just begun during that time.

Uhm... The English version of FFX was released in 2002 or 2001. That's at least twelve or eleven years after voice acting started to actively spread in Video Games. FAR from beginning of Voice Acting in games. And FFX wasn't voiced by amateur developers because there was no budget for professional actors, like developers were doing in the beginning of the 90's. Heck, starting from somewhere year 1995 the quality of Voice Acting in Video Games got to a whooping high rate. So the 'begun during that time' is not an excuse.

There will be always stains with bad acting (sometimes it's not the actor's fault, but the voice director's), and FFX will forever remain one of them.
    edited December 2010
    I miss the good ol' days with terrible voice acting like you see in Resident Evil 1. :D
  • edited December 2010
    There will be always stains with bad acting (sometimes it's not the actor's fault, but the voice director's), and FFX will forever remain one of them.

Many people just don't quite agree with that.
  • edited December 2010
    I miss the good ol' days with terrible voice acting like you see in Resident Evil 1. :D

That was too close. You were almost a Jill sandwich!
  • edited December 2010

Which reminds me, the Japanese game translations received a VERY bad treatment in the good ol' days :)

Though sometimes even nowadays it's not that unusual to come across something that would make you want to tear your ears apart.
    edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    Which reminds me, the Japanese game translations received a VERY bad treatment in the good ol' days :)

Though sometimes even nowadays it's not that unusual to come across something that would make you want to tear your ears apart.

Yeah there are still a few games you see around today with shallow voice acting.

Although it's not the first one to come to mind... Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was a good example. :p
  • edited December 2010
    True.

Still, voice direction has come quite a ways now that gamers are more demanding -or discerning, I suppose would be a kinder term- of quality voice acting. I mean heck, if you're gonna be with these characters for hours on end, you may as well make them pleasant to listen to, right?

So far from what I've heard, Telltale's going in the right direction with the BttF game. At least, AJ as Marty is nice on the ears... so to speak, anyways.
  • edited December 2010
    O.o I happened to like most of FFX's voice over...
  • edited December 2010
    An article about/interview with AJ: http://www.asylum.com/2010/12/21/aj-locascio-marty-mcfly-voice-back-to-the-future-video-game/

I don't know if there's any new information in there, but he does go into a little detail about how he actually does the Marty voice, and meeting Christopher Lloyd.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Still, voice direction has come quite a ways now that gamers are more demanding -or discerning, I suppose would be a kinder term- of quality voice acting.

We're heading in the opposite direction in Germany, unfortunately. We've had the greatest, "kult" translations and voiceover work in the eighties and early nineties, but nowadays, we just hear a lot of incredibly bad stuff. There are still people complaining, but on the whole - and in video games especially - I keep hearing praise by consumers and press about how good the voices are, when it's quite obvious that they're not.

The German voice actors themselves are highly trained and massively professional, there are incredibly good schools all over the place. But on the job, in video gaming, they sometimes just read from the page without any serious voice direction or sense of what their character does; and they have to read incredibly bad translations without even a spark of creative language use.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.