The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Quality over quantity?

I think that Telltale's game quality is enough (even if not perfect sometimes) without too much compromising. Telltale is releasing at least 2/3 games every year.... numbers that no one in the graphic adventure genre can beat.... and about the quality of BTTF we will see when the game will be out - but I trust TT on this.

And, BTW, about expandind the schedule: missing the anniversary would be a great loss of advertisement... And would you play an episode every 3 month? :D
  • edited September 2010
    ^ Hehe, true, good point :D
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    While Alan's out there on a rampage, closing three threads in a row, let's bump the real thing and request one more voice actor that hasn't been named yet. Or, maybe he has been named, but my encyclopeadic memory of this sub-forum fails me.

The man goes by the name Flea, and he's actually the Red Hot Chili Pepper's bass player. Still, we all know him as the character Needles in BTTF II and III. He's even better at provoking Marty than Biff, and he has the best introductory line ever (at least in the German version of BTTF II ;) ).

THAT would be one cameo I'd enjoy!! :D
  • edited September 2010
    Strayth wrote:
    You're thinking about it the wrong way.

Think about it like this :

No news about MJ = No MJ voicing Marty.

Audtions for the Marty party = Obviously they don't have MJ.

I don't feel that way though. I still have hope that he is voicing parts of the game. Just because so and so says they did the part that doesn't mean that they aren't just helping to keep a secret. Or that others are applying for different parts of the role. This is time travel after all.

I really don't understand if it's so obvious and everyone can put it together as you have why they don't have an official statement some where who is voicing marty. It's not like I'm going to crap myself when I hear Bob is voicing marty and jump up and down in surprise...
  • edited September 2010
    I am voicing Marty McFly. The speculation ends now.
  • edited September 2010
    I have from very good source that Majus will be voicing Marty, the Doc and Lorraine.
  • edited September 2010

Awesome. Good Luck, Alan.
  • edited September 2010

Oh yeah? What other roles have you taken on?
  • edited September 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    I have from very good source that Majus will be voicing Marty, the Doc and Lorraine.

Nah, no Lorraine. Almost got the role, but they said I am not big enough for alternate-1985-Lorraine.
  • edited September 2010
    Majus wrote: »
    Nah, no Lorraine. Almost got the role, but they said I am not big enough for alternate-1985-Lorraine.

But I think that role suits you so well Majus...Oh well...I'm guessing I have to see Silverwolfpet dancing in a dress again.
  • edited September 2010
    Alan, you're lying. I am voicing Marty McFly. How could you steal my credit, Alan?

i-will-kill-you-in-your-sleep.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    I refuse to play this game unless Marty is voiced by Marcel Marceau.
  • edited September 2010
    Ok, so what about Flea? I am sure he'd go for the spot (if Needles is part of any of the chapters?

What I am wondering is that IF this does good, will they make a "volume 2" & "volume 3" like S&M? :D
    edited September 2010
    I'd love to see Needles return. He really made an impression in the movies, although his scenes were so short. Also, his face absolutely asks for caricature, so creating a TTG version of him would be fun.

On a really small side note: If I asked Spykes to update the FAQ thread with the "Alan voices Marty" information, he'd probably kill me.
  • edited September 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    But I think that role suits you so well Majus...Oh well...I'm guessing I have to see Silverwolfpet dancing in a dress again.

Again?? What do you mean again?? Have you been snooping around my VHS collection?
  • edited September 2010
    Again?? What do you mean again?? Have you been snooping around my VHS collection?

No...I mean yes...and...OH LOOK! A THREE HEADED MONKEY!
  • edited September 2010
    Where???

----

I wonder if Biff will accept the part.
  • edited September 2010
    Where???

----

I wonder if Biff will accept the part.

To be honest, I think I'd prefer Thomas Wilson (Biff) to reprise his role as opposed to Michael J Fox...

I watched MJF segment on the view the other day & I hate to say it, I doubt he will be able to record a full game like that. It'd be awesome if he accepts, I just don't think it's likely at all.

The fact that there are alot of good people out there at mimicking him is also a plus, Tom Wilson on the other hand - not so much!

I reckon Tom Wilson is do-able telltale - get on that!
  • edited September 2010
    mcfly88 wrote: »
    I watched MJF segment on the view the other day

Youtube link please, if there is any. :)
  • edited September 2010
    It's really sad to see him so affected by the disease.
    He seems like such a likable guy, I really hope they find a cure for it.
    It's going to be strange to get a new chapter in the Back to the Future story without him in it.
  • edited September 2010
    Link to the 9.23.10 episode of the view with MJF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j296HOaSpo
  • edited September 2010
    Mcfly88 is right, I really don't think he should do this voice for Marty in the game either.

As unfortunate as it is, I just think his voice has changed too much because of the disease and the natural effects of age that 25 years has on a person. I think the game will be better off getting someone who can do a great Marty / MJF circa 1985 impression.

That said, it would still be nice to see Michael J Fox involved in with the game, if even in a very small role. Perhaps a short 1 minute video introduction with some of the games proceeds going to the Fox Foundation.
  • edited September 2010
    It seems like it's getting harder for him to talk pertinent.
    Like his jaws are kinda glued together or his cheeks lost elasticity or something.
    I'm glad he's optimistic though, and he's still looking good.
  • edited September 2010
    Joop wrote: »
    It seems like it's getting harder for him to talk pertinent.
    Like his jaws are kinda glued together or his cheeks lost elasticity or something.
    I'm glad he's optimistic though, and he's still looking good.

Looking good? He looks great! For a person who had that disease for almost 20 years, he looks really great!

Hats off to him!
  • edited September 2010
    I'd like to see him involved in some way but if he can't be then I understand. I'd still really like to see him be involved in a short scene of the future or something.

But most people would be so cruel and judgmental of his part, they'd say rude and nasty things about him. It's not worth subjecting him to that.
  • edited September 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    But most people would be so cruel and judgmental of his part, they'd say rude and nasty things about him. It's not worth subjecting him to that.

What? People who would buy BTTF games would so NOT be that.
  • edited September 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I'd like to see him involved in some way but if he can't be then I understand. I'd still really like to see him be involved in a short scene of the future or something.

Who's saying rude and nasty things about Michael J. Fox?
    They've got some guts, he seems like a really nice guy.
    I did read those messages on IMDB where they say that he's the next big hollywood death, I think that's so rude...
    It seems like people on the internet are so inconsiderate to other people's feelings... :(
  • edited October 2010
    Some people are just mean and cruel. I've seen it and I don't want to believe in it but it's true for many people out there.
  • edited October 2010
    I just read that Michael J Fox is going to be on The Good Wife. Surely if he can act on camera he can do voice over for the game. And besides, he's still been acting and voice acting. What reason could he have to not do the voice of MARTY MCFLY! Hopefully new treatments and medication will allow him to keep on doing what he's great at.
  • edited October 2010
    ADAMATION wrote: »
    I just read that Michael J Fox is going to be on The Good Wife. Surely if he can act on camera he can do voice over for the game. And besides, he's still been acting and voice acting. What reason could he have to not do the voice of MARTY MCFLY! Hopefully new treatments and medication will allow him to keep on doing what he's great at.

The last time he did any voice acting was in 2005. Once. Before that it was 2002. Once. Before that 2001.

Don't believe me? See for yourself.

The role of Marty McFly in this game isn't as simple as a few on-screen appearances, which requires much fewer lines. A video game script can typically call for hundreds if not thousands of lines, especially for the lead character. I would love to see Michael J. Fox play the role, but it is a big commitment to play the role of a lead character in a video game, especially for someone with Parkinsons. MJF is not as much of a voice actor anymore as his Wikipedia page would make it sound. :(
  • edited October 2010
    The last time he did any voice acting was in 2005. Once. Before that it was 2002. Once. Before that 2001.

Don't believe me? See for yourself.

The role of Marty McFly in this game isn't as simple as a few on-screen appearances, which requires much fewer lines. A video game script can typically call for hundreds if not thousands of lines, especially for the lead character. I would love to see Michael J. Fox play the role, but it is a big commitment to play the role of a lead character in a video game, especially for someone with Parkinsons. MJF is not as much of a voice actor anymore as his Wikipedia page would make it sound. :(

Exactly. Some people don't seem to understand the monumental difference between doing a few scenes for a TV show and recording dialog for a full fledged game. They're apples and oranges. As you so aptly bought out, the amount of dialog between what is needed for a TV and what would be needed for a game like this is HUGE.
  • edited October 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Exactly. Some people don't seem to understand the monumental difference between doing a few scenes for a TV show and recording dialog for a full fledged game. They're apples and oranges. As you so aptly bought out, the amount of dialog between what is needed for a TV and what would be needed for a game like this is HUGE.

I'm guessing the majority of new posters here have never played a telltale game before, so they don't realise that the game consists of heaps of dialogue from the voice actors e.g. Multiple voice answers to questions etc.

I'm still guessing alot of people here think the game is going to be free roam.

It isn't.
    edited October 2010
    ADAMATION wrote: »
    I just read that Michael J Fox is going to be on The Good Wife. Surely if he can act on camera...

The character he plays on "The Good Wife" has severe Parkinson's. That seems to be the "role" he can still play, sadly.

As for the new posters, this will increase in the next weeks as the game's release comes close. The "Questions to Bob Gale" thread has proven this. So, prepare for more "is this going to be free roam like GTA?" questions. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Didn't he voice Stuart Little in the movie series?
    I think that if he can voice the main character in a movie, then he can do a videogame, and all the people saying otherwise are being small-minded.
    Chillout and wait for any official announcements.
  • edited October 2010
    LN3000 wrote: »
    I think that if he can voice the main character in a movie, then he can do a videogame, and all the people saying otherwise are being small-minded.

To be fair, those were five to ten years ago. A lot can change in that time period.
  • edited October 2010
    LN3000 wrote: »
    Chillout and wait for any official announcements.

He did five years ago, yeah. But there's likely a lot more work involved in voicing an adventure game than a film, with all the multiple dialogue options and such.

That said, the only person in the world who can really say whether or not he could do this is him. I'm sure he has first choice on the role. If he can do it, he will. If not, all us BTTF will obviously understand. I think James Arnold Taylor does a pretty decent Michael J Fox voice. Maybe they can get him.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I read at least somewhere (maybe even JAT's website?!) that even back then in Stuart Little, James Arnold Taylor had some lines to "stand in" for MJF.

/edit: Yes, I remembered correctly - here it is, last line even:
    http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2010/10/18/the-clone-wars-interview-with-james-arnold-taylor/

And, BlankCanvas, you're a little behind schedule. ;)
    JAT is confirmed as voice-acting for Back to the Future, but twitters that his role is "Young Doc" (possibly not entirely true ;) ). And if we do not drop the subject, Alan will kill us. :D
  • edited October 2010
    If they couldn't get MJF to actually do the recordings at Telltale, could they do a similar thing that LucasArts did with Earl Boen as Lechuck, where he could just send in his lines on Telltale? I'm just thinking it would help, maybe. I know very little about Parkinson's and how much people who have it can cope, so maybe this is not a very well planned idea, but I just though I'd state my thoughts.
  • edited October 2010
    If they couldn't get MJF to actually do the recordings at Telltale, could they do a similar thing that LucasArts did with Earl Boen as Lechuck, where he could just send in his lines on Telltale? I'm just thinking it would help, maybe. I know very little about Parkinson's and how much people who have it can cope, so maybe this is not a very well planned idea, but I just though I'd state my thoughts.

Yeah, and remember that Alexandra Boyd (Elaine's voice actress) recorded all her lines from London.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think it's MJF's travel logistics that are the issue here.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.