Feathers?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Yeah.... I love the books... they are a ton better than the movies..
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah.... I love the books... they are a ton better than the movies..

That they are, I love the plot for the Lost World novel.
  • edited July 2010
    I enjoy Paleontology enough that the Jurassic Park movies annoy the snot out of me with their innacuracies.

I'd like to see some effort put into accuracy, ala Walking With Dinosaurs. This game can be better than the movies.
  • edited July 2010
    It is Jurassic Park: The Game, not American Museum of Natural History: The Game. Give me my fantasy raptors!
  • edited July 2010
    The game is going to be based on the movies... As much as I enjoy scientific accuracy, I want reptilian dinos.

If they were aiming at accuracy they might aswell make their own dinossaur-franchise, instead of paying royalties.

This is Jurassic Park movie-license. And JP movie's dinossaurs don't have feathers.
  • edited July 2010
    Not the ones we've seen, at any rate. Maybe if they stopped using frog dna to fill in the blnks and used chicken dna for a new batch instead...
  • edited July 2010
    Can't we just write off the lack of feathers as a side effect of being genetically modified?
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    Can't we just write off the lack of feathers as a side effect of being genetically modified?

My thoughts exactly.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    according to wikipedia, velociraptors were not only feathered, but the size of a turkey, and no smarter than than large cat of today.

also, their wrists didn't bend at an angle that would allow them to open doors.
  • edited July 2010
    bubbledncr wrote: »
    according to wikipedia, velociraptors were not only feathered, but the size of a turkey, and no smarter than than large cat of today.

<BS>Features only gained when mixed with frog DNA!</BS>
  • edited August 2010
    I grew up watching paleontology shows. If the dinosaurs don't look right, I get completely distracted & irritated & can't enjoy it. It's like.....hmm...If they made a Thundercats movie using costumes from Andrew Lloyd Webber's CATS; Sure they look close enough, but you know it's wrong.

I think the game should improve on the faults of the movies.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know. It would be cool if they gave the dinosaurs a more up to date look in the game but at the same time the new look of the raptor is so different from the movies that I think it might throw some people off.

I actually prefer raptors without feather myself even if that is how they really looked.
  • edited September 2010
    I drew a mix of both reptilian and feathered when I was bored:

2n0psp.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Nice! Looks like an Archeopteryx.

Saying that brought me memories of the dinosaur geek I was when I was a kid and how everyody looked me weird for knowing so much about something that nobody cared :p

It's tough to be a dinosaur nerd!
  • edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Nice! Looks like an Archeopteryx.

But it's a Velociraptor. :p
  • edited October 2010
    I think they should stick with the continuity that was established in the films. Despite Crichton's best attempts, Jurassic Park has never been completely scientifically accurate and there's no real reason that it needs to be just because they're making a videogame. These are adventure stories, nothing more.'

That said...
    2n0psp.jpg

That thing would scare the beejesus outta me so I guess it wouldn't be such a bad compromise.
  • edited December 2010
    I think they should consult with paleontologists and include whatever they would suggest has the most probable accuracy. Michael Crichton had a big interest in real science and he tried to incorporate it as much as possible in his writings.

The difference between the movies and the game can be explained by the fact that the use of frog DNA to replace certain genetic sequences didn't preserve the genome in a way accurate to the last detail.
  • edited December 2010
    bubbledncr wrote: »

Mehhhh, paleontologists complaining about the intelligence of movie raptors and comparing the real velociraptor to a cat have CLEARLY never owned a cat. Cats can be stupid, yes, but they can also be very smart. As for the size...the velociraptor in the movie was based off of Deinonychus antirrhopus. This has been stated by the film-makers and Crichton. :p

That said, reptilian. Stick to movie canon. :D Except eliminate JP3.
  • edited December 2010
    What Irishmile said :) stick to the dinos from the (first two) films.
  • edited December 2010
    That said, reptilian. Stick to movie canon. :D Except eliminate JP3.

This. ^
  • edited December 2010
    Ive have come up with a theory that the reason that Jurassic Park dinosaurs do not have feathers is because of the frog DNA that was used to complete their genetic coding.
  • edited January 2011
    31322471.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    Well it's also possible that the raptor family started developing proto-beaks as well as insulating feathers. I don't believe they were as robust as in the photo above suggests if there were any. Look at archeopteryx and it's kin. A descendant from Raptors was fully covered with feathers, it would only make sense to partially cover the Dienonychus or velociraptor. After all, warm-bloodedness marked the age of Dinosaurs.
  • edited January 2011
    Darkdefender has a brilliant stand point by the way
  • edited January 2011
    But psycho chickens are the most awesome thing ever! I always loved Raptors, and their psycho chicken status just makes them more awesome to me. Feathers ftw!
    Though I tend to prefer the scales with some feathery bits like Onion's pic. I mean birds have scales on their legs and feet, especially the bigger ones and look at buzzards and vultures with their hideous baldy heads hahah.

But for the sake of continuity, if they're working with a sequel they should probably stick with the established froggy dinos. Though with modern knowledge, it really would have made more sense to use bird dna to fill in those gaps hah.

Yes, the less ringing cellphone indicates scary monster the better. Man that was hilarious.
  • edited January 2011
    I liked that the spino had a jingle... when they were reunited at the fence and they turned around and he was just standing there like "OH HI LUNCH"
    I am totally ready to admit that III was no where near as good as the first movie but I WILL NOT say that I did not enjoy the movie.... I actually rather like it.. even though it has some cringe worthy things in it.
    501px-JP3_Spinosaurus_3.JPG
  • edited January 2011
    There were some great Jurassic Park moments in 3, such as seeing all the dinosaurs when they were going down the river, but the Pteranodon problem, the Spinosaurus being too "powerful" and having some inaccuracies(but that's a JP problem since Deinonychus, aka Velociraptor), and quite frankly the short runtime were all problems that the movie wasn't able to overcome.
  • edited January 2011
    Wow, giant chickens. That could be something! or not?
  • edited January 2011
    Drevial wrote: »
    After all, warm-bloodedness marked the age of Dinosaurs.

I remain sceptical that dinosaurs were warm blooded. What's the main evidence for that hypothesis, other than birds are warm blooded?
  • edited January 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiology_of_dinosaurs#Metabolism

Maybe this'll help?

Either way, we'll never know for sure. Not unless a wild-eyed old man who claims to be a scientist creates a time machine out of a car.
  • edited January 2011
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I remain sceptical that dinosaurs were warm blooded. What's the main evidence for that hypothesis, other than birds are warm blooded?

I know its sad that there is so much we just will never know... Imagine as well all the species we do not know about and never will.
  • edited January 2011
    I think in some cases the use of feathers and colors could be used to make even more menacing animals. Its been theorized the T-Rex had dark and even bright red feathers. In artists conceptions I've seen it looked extremely menacing with its wild colors and it would be even more menacing with the ability to flare its feathers like a lot of birds can do.. Many palentolgists speculate the T-rex was more of a scavenger and its menacing look is what drove away other predators from food. I think too many people are focused on feathers looking silly because they are so use to the reptile look. I have the different take that feathers and colors offer up a larger range of tools for artists to make even more menacing and awe inspiring creatures.

That big bird picture was hilarious!
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with what you said about the feathers possibly being cool... but I still want them to stick to what has already been established in the films.
  • edited January 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    other families in the infraorder Oviraptorosauria (to which Dromosauridae belong

You missed the barn door there, Dromaeosauridae belongs to Deinonychosauria.
  • edited January 2011
    So... It's pretty much the consensus of the modern paleontological community that theropod dinosaurs like Velociraptor and possibly even Tyrannosaurus had feathers. Should Telltale incorporate the most up-to-date paleontological knowledge in their design of dinosaurs for the game, or should they stick to the more reptilian design aesthetic precedented by the movies? Of course, the idea that modern birds evolved from dinosaurs is a pretty big theme in the movies, particularly the first one. Perhaps it would actually be truer to the spirit of the movies to change the design and give the raptors bird-like feathers?

Which would you prefer:

reptilian, like in the movies?
    velociraptor.jpg

or more bird-like, as modern science suggests?
    velociraptorAB.jpg

there would be fossilized feathers and theyre have never been t rex or raptors found with fosillized feathers. i asked my cousin the same kind of question. he is an paleontologist.
  • edited January 2011
    Feathers do not fossilize like bone does... it breaks down a lot faster than bone so it has even less of a chance...... Even Fossilized bones are extremely rare. You might want to let your paleontologist cousin know that.

What your cousin is saying is that just because there is no fossil feathers it didnt have them... do they also think it didn't have eyeballs? because there are not fossils of that either.
  • edited January 2011
    Odysseus wrote: »
    there would be fossilized feathers and theyre have never been t rex or raptors found with fosillized feathers. i asked my cousin the same kind of question. he is an paleontologist.

If i am not mistaken they found quill knobs in one velociraptor fossil which means it probably have had feathers.
  • edited March 2011
    If they have feathered dinosaurs, I will NOT buy this game.
  • edited March 2011
    Please do not necro threads. It has already been established, that all dinosaurs will look like they have in the first Jurassic Park Film in wich this movie is based on.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I know its sad that there is so much we just will never know...

I disagree on that. Im going to tell you straight up that the first attemt at a dino clone will be in less than 20 years.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.