Feathers?

13»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I do not really see how that could be possible...
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I do not really see how that could be possible...

Well, as hard as it is to believe, it seems possible when you think about it. Look at where we are today, we are at the peak of technology, at the peak of imaginable breakthroughs.
    If a "mammoth" will be cloned in approximately five years, then its not too unbelievable that we will get what is more or less our depiction of a dinosaur. For years man has wondered about dinosaurs and when Spielberg, Crichton, and Stan Winston put thier minds together to create the greatest adventure in history, many more eyes were opened on the subject. Many people began to wonder about the possibility of the reality behind John Hammond's Jurassic Park.
    Scientists have been trying for about 18 years now, even harder than ever. With major genetic breakthroughs, it is not too hard to believe that a dinosaur will be cloned not too long from now. It can and will be done, all that we need is non-fragmented dinosaur DNA, and in the words of Mr. DNA, we just have to know where to look.
    If you actually think about it, it may have already be done. It took 30 years for the Stealth Bomber to become common public knowledge. Dinosaurs may be cloned soon, or may have already been cloned, but it will take longer before me or you ever hear about it. The possibilities are endless with today's technology, it just takes one person to forget to ask themself whether or not they should, and we may just hatch ourselves our first raptor.
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    Well, as hard as it is to believe, it seems possible when you think about it. Look at where we are today, we are at the peak of technology, at the peak of imaginable breakthroughs.
    If a "mammoth" will be cloned in approximately five years, then its not too unbelievable that we will get what is more or less our depiction of a dinosaur. For years man has wondered about dinosaurs and when Spielberg, Crichton, and Stan Winston put thier minds together to create the greatest adventure in history, many more eyes were opened on the subject. Many people began to wonder about the possibility of the reality behind John Hammond's Jurassic Park.
    Scientists have been trying for about 18 years now, even harder than ever. With major genetic breakthroughs, it is not too hard to believe that a dinosaur will be cloned not too long from now. It can and will be done, all that we need is non-fragmented dinosaur DNA, and in the words of Mr. DNA, we just have to know where to look.
    If you actually think about it, it may have already be done. It took 30 years for the Stealth Bomber to become common public knowledge. Dinosaurs may be cloned soon, or may have already been cloned, but it will take longer before me or you ever hear about it. The possibilities are endless with today's technology, it just takes one person to forget to ask themself whether or not they should, and we may just hatch ourselves our first raptor.

Yes, but if anything jurassic park taught us well...were all fans of the movie so we should know. I hate to say it but a dinosaur wouldn't survive todays conditions, the atmosphere the gravity change, the poor thing wouldn't last long or at all.
  • edited March 2011
    Scientifically we all know that Dinosaurs are avian-based, but the idea of seeing something so changed from what we originally saw is disturbing, at leased to me personally. The iconic image breaks down and with it everything else breaks down with it.

This was one of the problems I had with JPIII, changing up the raptors made me cautious to the actual movie and may be part of why I dislike it the most.
  • edited March 2011

I saw something on Tv about dinosaurs. How chickens are related to the T-rex. Well it showed how a chicken looks inside an egg. In a egg it looks like a dinosaur with teeth, and a tail. So they did genetic experiments ect to make there characteristics happen.
  • edited March 2011
    So... It's pretty much the consensus of the modern paleontological community that theropod dinosaurs like Velociraptor and possibly even Tyrannosaurus had feathers. Should Telltale incorporate the most up-to-date paleontological knowledge in their design of dinosaurs for the game, or should they stick to the more reptilian design aesthetic precedented by the movies? Of course, the idea that modern birds evolved from dinosaurs is a pretty big theme in the movies, particularly the first one. Perhaps it would actually be truer to the spirit of the movies to change the design and give the raptors bird-like feathers?

Which would you prefer:

reptilian, like in the movies?
    velociraptor.jpg

or more bird-like, as modern science suggests?
    velociraptorAB.jpg

You also forget that Velociraptors in reality are not that tall (more like 3-4 feet, or so I've read in some places) and their killing claw is not on the interior of the foot but on the middle toe, as taught by Alan Grant in the beginning of JP1 before we see that the raptor models used in the movies have the claw in the wrong; a decision I don't disagree with as it looks better, although it is scientifically incorrect. I also say no feathers. :-) But of course TellTale already made the decision concerning that as such.
  • edited March 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I personally am in favor of putting feathers on the JP game's dinosaurs. Sure, it wouldn't match up with the movies' depictions of the various species, but greater scientific accuracy is always a plus in this sort of franchise. Michael Crichton would have approved, I think.

Also... Let's face it, 50 years from now, the dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park films are going to seem utterly unrealistic and laughably misconceived, much as people today think of Godzilla. I wouldn't want the game's dinosaurs to share a similar fate.

Plus, the "lumbering reptilian dinosaur" is really an outworn cliche that's hung around in popular perception despite being long debunked scientifically. I think it'd be good for the game to break the stereotype's mold, and do something totally new, fresh, exciting, and up-to-date with the dinosaurs' look, franchise consistency be damned.

And finally, I think the idea of feathered dinosaurs is really cool, plain and simple. Nothing beats Rule of Cool.

Although I will concede that the feathered dinosaurs would be much harder to model in 3D than the old-fashioned scaly variety of dino. You're up to the challenge, Telltale, I know it!

I think that'd be something way cool for a new franchise not related to JP should do, or otherwise future JP movies or games, etc, that take place after the first 3 films explain the dinosaurs are now evolving feathers (maybe being pushed by nature to escape the islands or something), maybe have some psuedo-scientific mumbo-jumbo about the frog DNA they used to bridge the gap having some part or something. Even the scientific ideal of dinosaurs we have now may be eventually debunked in the far future, especially since we're still only studying fossils and not the real, breathing creatures, and there's a very good chance we never will be studying living dinosaurs.
  • edited March 2011

The thing is that Mammoth DNA is thousands of years old and they have been found frozen with fur still on..

Dinosaur bones are not bones at all its rock and its MILLIONS of years old NOT thousands... there is no DNA in them.. they even have a hard time identifying trace proteins.... Even the movie method wouldn't work because the DNA in amber can not survive millions of years... SO its pretty much improbable to happen ever...
  • edited March 2011
    Even so, you'll never have all of the dinosaurs that ever lived.

As I'm currently reading "How To Build A Dinosaur" by Jack Horner, he brings up the point that those fossils and bones are only a sample of the dinosaurs and creatures that lived at that time. Not every specimen was able to be perfectly preserved for thousands of years under one-in-a-million unique happenstances (IE: Mudslide, Tarpit).

I do think what he's trying to do with de-evolving a modern day bird is a step in the right direction, logically. We may not have the DNA or samples from those fossils, but we do have modern day ancestors of those long lost "lizards" of the past, and his method of trying to create a dinosaur has me intrigued.
  • edited March 2011
    I am very much in favor of feathered dinosaurs in the JP franchise after Jurassic Park III, but since the Game will take place concurrently with the events of the first movie, the original Velociraptors should be used.

In a future JP movie, scientificly (more or less) accurate dinos should be used, because the magic of the first movie was that we finally saw 100 % realistic dinosaurs, not movie monsters, but real animals.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah I watched a Docu on de-evolving a modern bird embryo but all you have is guess work.. the DNA of a bird is way to complex to even begin guessing what genes to turn "off" and "on" What you would have in the end is an altered bird and not a true dinosaur... But it is interesting... they can make a chicken with teeth ... because it is indeed carried in their DNA...
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah I watched a Docu on de-evolving a modern bird embryo but all you have is guess work.. the DNA of a bird is way to complex to even begin guessing what genes to turn "off" and "on" What you would have in the end is an altered bird and not a true dinosaur... But it is interesting... they can make a chicken with teeth ... because it is indeed carried in their DNA...
    Wow! Do you remember the name of that documentary? Sounds very interesting.
  • edited March 2011
    I watch so many documentaries I lose track... but I am 70% sure it was called Dinosaurs Return to Life.

Jack Horner.. was on it... and he was saying its TOTALLY possible to do it... but he has a thing for making kind of wild claims... Im not saying he is wrong... But.... you know.
  • edited March 2011
    Jack Horner.. was on it... and he was saying its TOTALLY possible to do it... but he has a thing for making kind of wild claims... Im not saying he is wrong... But.... you know.

Good ol' Jack...I wonder he's ever said anything that wasn't absurd?
  • edited March 2011
    You also forget that Velociraptors in reality are not that tall (more like 3-4 feet, or so I've read in some places) and their killing claw is not on the interior of the foot but on the middle toe, as taught by Alan Grant in the beginning of JP1 before we see that the raptor models used in the movies have the claw in the wrong; a decision I don't disagree with as it looks better, although it is scientifically incorrect. I also say no feathers. :-) But of course TellTale already made the decision concerning that as such.

Velociraptor mongoliensis is about the size of a house cat. That said, the "raptors" from the movie more closely resemble Deinonychus antirrhopus in size and general build.

And the movie got the claw right. Most therapod dinosaurs have four toes on their hind legs. One of them is almost vestigial and serves no purpose. The Velociraptor's claw is shown on what would be the third toe, going inwards. Same with Deinonychus, Utahraptor, and other claw-toed dromeosaurids.
  • edited March 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Yes, but if anything jurassic park taught us well...were all fans of the movie so we should know. I hate to say it but a dinosaur wouldn't survive todays conditions, the atmosphere the gravity change, the poor thing wouldn't last long or at all.

I promise you, when a scientist that is determined to succeed comes along to do it, they will. You guys are saying that a DINOSAUR will not be able to survive, but unless you have a time travelling DeLorean you will never be able to have a real dinosaur. What scientists will do is continue to change the DNA sequence until it can survive and until it looks like a true dinosaur.
  • edited March 2011
    I promise you, when a scientist that is determined to succeed comes along to do it, they will. You guys are saying that a DINOSAUR will not be able to survive, but unless you have a time travelling DeLorean you will never be able to have a real dinosaur. What scientists will do is continue to change the DNA sequence until it can survive and until it looks like a true dinosaur.

And how is genetically engineering creatures that look like what we think dinosaurs looked like but who don't live or behave how we think dinosaurs lived and behaved going to help us learn about real dinosaurs?
  • edited March 2011
    And how is genetically engineering creatures that look like what we think dinosaurs looked like but who don't live or behave how we think dinosaurs lived and behaved going to help us learn about real dinosaurs?
    Becuase it would be the closest we'll ever get.
  • edited March 2011
    What Icedhope was saying was true... the atmosphere today is completly different than it was in the Jurassic and the crustaceous periods... there was a much higher amount of oxygen in the air... therefore huge animals were able to breath easier and therefore grow so large.. it was ALSO a ton hotter so hot that some scientists have a hard time believing they were warmblooded at all... I am not convinced one way or the other... maybe they were lukewarm blooded...

the point though is there are too many variables to consider and we really wouldn't know unless someone actually cloned a dino... personally I think that it WOULD have a hard time breathing and would not be able to function well at all.... it would be like trying to run a marathon on top of Everest.... you would pass out pretty darn fast.

But Dinosaurs probably didn't have to exhale as we do... birds don't... the air they breath is released in their bones and muscles in sacs... it also uses less energy that way.
  • edited March 2011
    Becuase it would be the closest we'll ever get.

Thanks for taking that one for me man!! :)
    What Icedhope was saying was true... the atmosphere today is completly different than it was in the Jurassic and the crustaceous periods... there was a much higher amount of oxygen in the air... therefore huge animals were able to breath easier and therefore grow so large.. it was ALSO a ton hotter so hot that some scientists have a hard time believing they were warmblooded at all... I am not convinced one way or the other... maybe they were lukewarm blooded...

the point though is there are too many variables to consider and we really wouldn't know unless someone actually cloned a dino... personally I think that it WOULD have a hard time breathing and would not be able to function well at all.... it would be like trying to run a marathon on top of Everest.... you would pass out pretty darn fast.

But Dinosaurs probably didn't have to exhale as we do... birds don't... the air they breath is released in their bones and muscles in sacs... it also uses less energy that way.

Genetic power has an endless range of discovery my friend, during the process of cloning a dinosaur "successfully", we would learn a lot more. I promise you that we will have a dinosaur, or a good recreation of one not too far into the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.