Jurassic Park Comics discussion...

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: Redemption issue one from IDW Comics is out today
Jurassic Park: Redemption
Bob Schreck (w) • Nate Van Dyke (a) • Tom Yeates, Frank Miller (c)

It’s been 13 years since little Tim and Lex Murphy escaped from the island of Isla Sorna, and recent public opinion has reversed, with the world clamoring for authorities to re-open Jurassic Park! With the help of their controversial Granddad’s inheritance and their own sharp wits, a secret deal is struck to open a new park! This time they’ll get it right... right? Bob Schreck makes his writing debut on this all-new tale, under covers from fellow industry legends Frank Miller and Tom Yeates!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

More information:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25376
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wondercon-2010-idw-publishing-100402.html

Preview:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5527

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I know it's on the website as Isla Sorna, but it's Nublar. And it's an awesome comic book series.
  • edited June 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I know it's on the website as Isla Sorna, but it's Nublar. And it's an awesome comic book series.

Yep, they confused in the solicit the original island with the Site B one. :D
  • edited September 2010
    This series is pretty good. The art is a little spotty but it's great to have another entry in the Jurassic Park universe. Also, Dodgson is in it.
  • edited September 2010
    I am waiting for the third issue to arrive, but I agree that the art is a little spotty.

Also in January, after this mini is over IIRC, there will be another JP 4 part story with art by John Byrne.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35934&PN=56&TPN=1

2010-07-25_051958_JP.01.CvrA.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Yikes, I'm not sure I could get past that art... (not the Byrne art, the Van Dyke art). I'm definitely interested to see how the Bernie Wrightson cover turns out, though.
  • edited October 2010
    So, in January, a second JP series and a trade of the first one:
    Jurassic Park, Vol. 1: Redemption
    Bob Schreck (w) • Nate Van Dyke (a) • Frank Miller (c)

It’s been 13 years since little Tim and Lex Murphy escaped from the island of Isla Sorna, and recent public opinion has reversed, with the world clamoring for authorities to re-open Jurassic Park! With the help of their controversial Granddad’s inheritance and their own sharp wits, a secret deal is struck to open a new park! This time they’ll get it right… right? Bob Schreck makes his writing debut on this all-new tale, under cover from fellow industry legends Frank Miller, Art Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Paul Pope and William Stout!

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 120 Pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-850-1
    JurassicPark_Redemption_TPB.jpg
    Jurassic Park: The Devils in the Desert #1 (of 4)
    John Byrne (w) • Byrne (a & c)

The legendary John Byrne brings his talents to the world of Jurassic Park and the results have never been more terrifying! Sheriff Tobias suddenly has more on his plate than he can handle when he is confronted with numerous cattle mutilations and the disappearance of a local farmer. Tensions escalate as the Feds arrive on the scene and the mysterious predators make their presence known!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
    JurassicPark_DevilsoftheDesert01_CovA.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    The art is a little spotty

With all due respect, I find it hardly fair that TellTale can criticize any art work, after looking at ol' Doc "zombie face" Brown up there.

And this is really cool! :)
  • edited October 2010
    Well, what he means by spotty is that, it looks like some really amateurish artwork. Good story, and everything it's just the artwork for the dino's could be improved.
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »
    With all due respect, I find it hardly fair that TellTale can criticize any art work, after looking at ol' Doc "zombie face" Brown up there.

The artwork of Redemption is a piece of shit! Nothing looks like anything in the movie, and for a franchise like Jurassic Park with its strong visuals its just a bad joke. The story is good though, even more a shame!
  • edited October 2010
    I will say that the artwork seems to be getting worse with each issue.
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »

I didn't say 'Telltale thinks the art is spotty' I said I felt that way. Regardless, it's a personal opinion.

Anyway, I can't even bother with checking up on this series anymore. I LOVE Jurassic Park but the art in this series just doesn't fit with the type of story it's trying to tell. The sketchy art is a hard sell for something with such an established visual look to it already.
  • edited October 2010
    Hopefully they release a digital version of this on PSP.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, the first mini is over (the art got worse in the final issue), and this week the first issue of The Devils in the Dessert is out.

Preview:http://www.comicbookresources.com:8080/?page=preview&id=7483
  • edited January 2011
    I agree. The art in that first series was bad. I hope they do better with The Devils in the Dessert. Judging from the screens I saw though it looks more detailed. In Redmetion I couldn't even thell what type of dinosaurs they were.
  • edited January 2011
    The art is horrible.... I am having a really hard time getting through it... I wish it was a novel instead.
  • edited January 2011
    Digital copy for iphone/ipod touch please!!!!!
  • edited January 2011
    You can get digital copies using the free IDW Comics app. I think each issue is around $2 or something.
  • edited January 2011
    If you have a PSP you can get them on there.
  • edited January 2011
    Dodgson! We've got Dodgson here!!
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    The art is horrible.... I am having a really hard time getting through it... I wish it was a novel instead.

Wait, so the art is bad in the second miniseries too? :(
  • edited January 2011
    I was talking about the first.... from what I see from devils in the dessert the art looks fine.

But the first it looks like scribbles and a lot of the stuff is off model and Disproportionate..
  • edited January 2011
    I was talking about the first.... from what I see from devils in the dessert the art looks fine.

But the first it looks like scribbles and a lot of the stuff is off model and Disproportionate..

Oh totally! It was so hard to read and follow the visual storytelling that I had to stop. I never did find out what happened in the story and a synopsis will likely never make it to Wikipedia either.
  • edited January 2011
    Oh totally! It was so hard to read and follow the visual storytelling that I had to stop. I never did find out what happened in the story and a synopsis will likely never make it to Wikipedia either.

Peter ludlow, survived the attack after the lost world, and basicaly tried to gain control of INGEN, by killing time, his planned backfired, and he was killed by raptors. that's the jist of it.
  • edited January 2011
    Peter ludlow, survived the attack after the lost world, and basicaly tried to gain control of INGEN, by killing time, his planned backfired, and he was killed by raptors. that's the jist of it.

Wow really? That's it? Seems like a poor decision maker that guy.

To me, Jurassic Park stories should take place at...well...Jurassic Park. Luckily, our game does just that.

Having dinosaurs running around here and there just turns into Dinotopia. Ok, maybe it doesn't do that exactly, but still.
  • edited January 2011
    I think there is somewhere the story could go using Lex and Tim as adults.... if done correctly.
  • edited January 2011
    I think there is somewhere the story could go using Lex and Tim as adults.... if done correctly.

^ Agreed.
  • edited January 2011
    ^ Agreed.

Also agree. But probably not them (Tim) doing what he did in the series.
  • edited January 2011
    Jurassic stories have been Lackluster unless it's been something with Biosyn and Ingen going at it.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, I always felt that Lex and Tim would want nothing to do with dinosaurs after their first trip on the island.
  • edited January 2011
    I read the first book of Jurassic Park: The Devils In the Desert, the art is a huge step up from the last series but that is what you get when you have a comics veteran like John Byrne doing the art and writing the story.

It is too early to say what the story will be like.
  • edited January 2011
    I wonder if they have this for digital download on the PSP? Think I'll go check.
  • edited January 2011
    They have the first ones. Not sure if they have Devils in the Desart yet though.
  • edited January 2011
    This series is pretty good. The art is a little spotty but it's great to have another entry in the Jurassic Park universe. Also, Dodgson is in it.

Well as an avid comic book reader I have to say that art is really lazy done.
    It's not even consistent sometimes the art is good while other times its looks awful.
  • edited January 2011
    Wow really? That's it? Seems like a poor decision maker that guy.

To me, Jurassic Park stories should take place at...well...Jurassic Park. Luckily, our game does just that.

Having dinosaurs running around here and there just turns into Dinotopia. Ok, maybe it doesn't do that exactly, but still.

So just to set the record straight it's the Island from the first movie the game will take place in ?
  • edited January 2011
    Preview for JURASSIC PARK: DEVILS IN THE DESERT #2

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=41615
  • edited February 2011
    Thank Eduardo, not sure what to make of the preview.

It looks like it might be interesting but I think, given the price of comics these days, that I'd prefer to have a novel. If I do buy it, it will be a digital comic only.
  • edited February 2011
    I just got the first DEVILS IN THE DESERT issue. Did not read it yet but looked through it and the art is a lot better. Now to see if the story is any good.
  • edited February 2011
    So I read it. It's a huge improvement over the Redemption. Which is Ironic seeing how Devils in the Desert is Redemption over the Redemption comics.

The story is better and much more believable than the one Redemption had. It takes place after the Third film and explains what happens to the Pteranodons that fly off the island. The story does a good job of tieing it into the movies and it even mentions the San Diego attack and one of the characters even reference the scene in JP3 where grant call them "Theme park Monsters". They even point out that the Frog DNA may be the cause of the Pteranodons having teeth.

The artwork is also much better. You can tell what a dinosaur is and what a horse is without having to think to much on what is what. lol

So yeah, go buy it. lol But skip Redemption. I only got those to add to my collection. I won't be reading them again any time soon.
  • edited February 2011
    Just read the first issue of Devils in the Desert. I thought it was an improvement on the last series, Redemption, but the story is kind of boring in my opinion. I know, it's just the first issue, but I'm just not digging it...YET. I'll give it another shot, as John Byrne is one of my favorite comic artists. Check out his 70s and 80s Marvel work.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah the story seems pretty generic so far... I mean replace the dinosaurs with a biker gang or drug dealers and you pretty much have your self all the Lorenzo Lamas movies from the early 90's

But I too dig John Byrne and will keep reading.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.