Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls discussion!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Dammit ! , when it's realease to the psn ?
  • edited July 2010
    This was fantastic, and the cliffhanger... GOD DAMNIT A MONTH IS TOO MUCH

Major spoilers:
    I love how it could practically have ended there if Max hadn't gotten monsterized.
  • edited July 2010
    Is the delay on steam a Telltale problem or a Valve problem?
  • edited July 2010
    Is the delay on steam a Telltale problem or a Valve problem?

It's out already. Don't worry.
  • edited July 2010
    This was fantastic, and the cliffhanger... GOD DAMNIT A MONTH IS TOO MUCH

Major spoilers:
    I love how it could practically have ended there if Max hadn't gotten monsterized.

It probably won't even be out in a month from now, considering there was no definite date on the poster in the very very first trailer.
  • edited July 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    It probably won't even be out in a month from now, considering there was no definite date on the poster in the very very first trailer.

I think it will be out in a month but that 'finale' on the poster still puzzles me...
  • edited July 2010
    The finale is there on the poster just in case Telltale has to delay it like happened with Rise of the Pirate God, I think.
  • edited July 2010
    Hmm..maybe you've got a point there, Neelo. Still, I'm going to expect 2 months myself, and be pleasantly surprised if it's out in August.
  • edited July 2010
    Wow awesome episode (aside from a few bugs here and there)
    Best bits:
    - The one long camera movement right after the main titles, very nice.
    - The revelation that Yog-Soggoth isn't the bad guy.
    - UNHOLY THIS!
    - PULL THE CORD!
    - Charlie Ho-Tep. A few people saw it coming but I was totally surprised
    - The music, great job Jared! "GAR CHARLIE HO-TEP!
    - The Max monster design (Nice Cloverfield reference by the way). I'll bet there's some pretty cool concept art for that one :D?
  • edited July 2010
    ...I just beat it.

I gotta leave for work soon, so a few quick thoughts:
    -MAX IS A TOTAL BADASS AT THE END!
    -My brother's going to be ridiculously happy that he was right about Charlie Ho-Tep. I shouldn't have doubted him.
    -Did that count as a musical number?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm a bit annoyed that they
    stuck Charlie Ho-Tep in the villain line-up
    . It would have been a complete surprise otherwise.

EDIT: Do you guys at Telltale know if we will be seeing 305 next month or will we have to wait longer?
  • edited July 2010
    Just finished! Story was great, can't wait till next month. But I found it enormously short, usually it takes me about 2 hours longer to finish an episode.

Don't know if if this is an after-effect of playing Puzzle Agent or if I was just lucky, but most puzzles basically solved themselves after mindlessly fiddling around a bit.
  • edited July 2010
    Finished, brilliant, just brilliant! I have post my opinion here! I'm just lazy, or tired (it is 11:32 for me) to retype or type something similar...

Curse you Telltale! :mad: Why must you make the cliffhanger for the season finale so exciting! The next month (or two) will be looooooong.....
  • edited July 2010
    The entire episode was fantastic, plus it had a bunch of great references. Two of which come to mind are the Dispenser and the Disney's Haunted Mansion part during the seance.
    (At least I think it was a reference. Anyone at Telltale like to confirm or deny? The part that was like "Ghoulies and goblins from a Black Sabbath song, send us a message by banging the gong." sounded a lot like "Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourines" and "Rap on a table, it's time to respond, send us a message from somewhere beyond".)
    I'd say the ending was definitely the craziest/most awesome Telltale plot twist yet. Hopefully the next episode has one too.
    All in all, my favorite Sam & Max episode.

Last thing: You totally got the "Fonzi Scheme" joke from Psych episode 402. :p
  • edited July 2010
    Excellent episode, for once I can say that i did not see the plot twist coming! This really makes me excited for the next episode!
    I'd also like to say that the final puzzles, starting at the Statue of Liberty and until the epic showdown, are the best I've seen in a long time, rivaled only by the Rise of the Pirate God ending. Much, much better than what we've seen this season and it's also the first time my expectations have been surpassed in Season 3.
    No musical number though, dare we hope for one in episode 5?
  • edited July 2010
    I was hoping for a musical number too... :(

Only way that they could have made this episode any better, really.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, after the small lowdown with 303, 304 makes well up for it. Better thought out puzzles, a very nice and twisty plot, loads of humour. Best one yet.

And if the best is yet to come, we're in for a threat...!
  • edited July 2010
    Amazing episode. I was disappointed by 303 but my hopes were restored and strengthened in 304. I dunno how they'll top it but Telltale always does!
  • edited July 2010
    Just remembered

Where the heck did Superball go? He just...disappeared.
  • edited July 2010
    Just remembered

Where the heck did Superball go? He just...disappeared.

That's what I was wondering. Seemed kinda suspicious no? I'm more worried about who's running the nation!
  • edited July 2010
    i rember in the first game the future vision, if used on the newspapers, would say
    GIANT MAX ATTACK!
    so I saw that part coming, but I didn't think he'd become an
    eldritch abomination
    but i know he will come back to normal before the next episode is over because, I remember the future vision used on the pudding abe where it shows max
    sticking his hand up its nose
    and I still haven't seen that happen.
  • edited July 2010
    nahnah390 wrote: »
    I remember the future vision used on the pudding abe where it shows max
    sticking his hand up its nose
    and I still haven't seen that happen.

It's about something else, a bonus included in the first episode, that not available for PC users, still >_>
  • edited July 2010
    i rember in the first game the future vision, if used on the newspapers, would say
    GIANT MAX ATTACK!
    so I saw that part coming,

Actually, that particular vision just referred to his normal Tuesday night rampage. This is something completely different.
  • edited July 2010
    well, even so it was pretty obvious max was going to
    become giant
    in one way or another based on the biggest silhouette in the season banner.
  • edited July 2010
    Great job on this episode! I was a tad worried after playing Episode 3, but this episode is a brilliant return to form. The pacing is great, the puzzles are fun, and the ending sequence has to be one of the most visually stunning things in a TT game yet. There's just so many things to like about it, it's hard to imagine that the best is yet to come.

On top of that, I like how all the foreshadowing still managed to catch me off-guard. The ending in particular. Judging from the vision in the first episode, I knew it was coming, but not like that. And I just didn't want to blink when it happened because it was that awesome.

I can't wait to read a newspaper in the next episode:
    PRESIDENT WREAKS HAVOC ON MANHATTAN

Incidentally, I'm still wondering about the purpose of
    the Lincoln Pudding Head.
    Next episode, maybe?
  • edited July 2010
    Puzzles are the core of an adventure game, hell, they are an adventure game. When you have weak puzzles, you have a weak game. When you're playing a game and it solves itself, nothing can save it. Not great music, nor an excellently-written story, nor a beautiful score, nor stunning visuals nor atmosphere nor witty humor. In this regard, Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse, has been an incredible disappointment.

Until this episode, anyway.

I don't know what has happened, but this is the first episode of The Devil's Playhouse that didn't feel like it played itself. I breezed through, but that's because I didn't have to stop every half hour and wait half a week or so before I could muster up the interest to continue on again. I never knew exactly what to do next, and that meant it was actually an adventure, not a list of chores one after the other that I completed to hear quips.

I don't know if it comes down to fan feedback, the guy who did the puzzles for this episode(I didn't get a good look at the credits, who do I have to thank?), just the way my mind works compared to how the puzzles were set up or what, but the puzzles were a ton more satisfying here. Has all-around presentation taken a step or two up? That final battle was pretty damn impressive.

I really liked this episode. This is what I wanted when I heard that Season Three was planned for an Early 2009 release. :P
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if I missed this one...why exactly was it Sam clones? I love the layering and amount of continuity and back-story behind it, but I couldn't figure out why The Master chose this method?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if I missed this one...why exactly was it Sam clones? I love the layering and amount of continuity and back-story behind it, but I couldn't figure out why The Master chose this method?
    It's a dialog option between
    Charlie
    and Sam during the finale.
    Sam is the perfect straight man, and apparently that makes his mind good for following orders. The logic seems a bit thin to me, honestly, but I'll take it I suppose. Seems like an army of Sals would be far better for the task
    , but whatever. =P
  • edited July 2010
    Sparkles wrote: »
    That's what I was wondering. Seemed kinda suspicious no? I'm more worried about who's running the nation!

I don't think Superball's evil - he's just Superball. He's been like that since Season 2 as well.
  • edited July 2010
    well, even so it was pretty obvious max was going to
    become giant
    in one way or another based on the biggest silhouette in the season banner.

You did see
    the giant statue in Sammun Mak's reordered universe
    ...right?
  • edited July 2010
    Awesome episode! Loved it. Didn't see any of the big reveals coming. I was totally wrong in my guesses as to who Dr. Norrington was and who was behind the clones. :p There's no way in The Dark Dimension that I'm even gonna think about guessing what might happen in 305. :D

I agree with Rather Dashing on the importance of puzzles, and that this episode's were really good with more varied and meaty (peanut-buttery?) solutions that weren't just handed to you, though I thought 302's puzzles were pretty good as well. I'm very happy that the super-easy 303 turned out to be an anomaly rather than a trend.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, I still need to let it sink in (just finished it), but 304 is without a doubt one of the best episodes of all three seasons, and it's definitely the most beautiful game Telltale has ever done.

Looking at that final scene, I was amazed by what that engine can do. I even thought I was looking at a pre-rendered cut-scene at one point. Not because it looked on par with Crysis 2 of course, but because it looked way better than anything I'd seen in the season so far.
    Also, some pretty good camera work and nice little details overall (
    foreshadowing the final events by showing the Statue of Liberty for instance
    ).

If you fine Telltale folks find the time to fix some of the bugs for the DVD release, then I think I've found my favorite episode.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone notice when Max read's Flint's mind, there appeared to be an obscure Star Trek TNG reference? From the episode Darmok I think.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone notice when Max read's Flint's mind, there appeared to be an obscure Star Trek TNG reference? From the episode Darmok I think.

I don't know if it's that obscure; I noticed it, heh.

That episode seems to have something of a cult status on the internet.
  • edited July 2010
    Hubert wrote: »
    I don't know if it's that obscure; I noticed it, heh.

That episode seems to have something of a cult status on the internet.

Cult status you say? Had no idea. Just always liked that ep.
  • edited July 2010
    BANNNAAAANNNNNG!

Well, he's useless!
  • edited July 2010
    It's a dialog option between
    Charlie
    and Sam during the finale.
    Sam is the perfect straight man, and apparently that makes his mind good for following orders. The logic seems a bit thin to me, honestly, but I'll take it I suppose. Seems like an army of Sals would be far better for the task
    , but whatever. =P
    It's a little nod to the adventure game genre. He's always controlled (by the player), so it's like he's made for being controlled (which he is), making him easy to posses...
    :D I found it a funny explenation.
  • edited July 2010
    i liked the at least two banang jokes in this ep. we've been missing them. or at least i have.
  • edited July 2010
    By the way, I really liked the "Statue o' Libertay" setpiece in this episode. Seeing it in the distance from the harbor and then actually playing all around it gave this episode so much more sense of scale... something the other two seasons were missing, where the city never felt really big.

Also the camera angels at the statue were just fantastic... looking down along the torch or up at it was really great!
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, having the camera follow Max as he gets slapped into the air by the Samulacra in that location looked absolutely amazing. I never thought Sam slapped him that high up though, how come Max never went through the roof when he got slapped in an indoor location?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.