Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls discussion!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Wow. Not on this forum much but I just finished this ep and I felt compelled to say this episode was AMAZING.

Absolutely nailed the atmosphere. Some awesome reveals too. And great great dialogue throughout.

Way to go Telltale. Cannot wait to play the finale.
  • edited July 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    The docks, on Sam.

I see, I'll make sure to take a look
  • edited July 2010
    If Guybrush can get eaten by a manatee, then Sam can get eaten by Max.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, I've FINALLY Finished the game.
    Let's see how my questions have been answered.
    1. Is Sal the Roach in love with Stinky? And Vice Versa? - Yes.
    2. How is Papierwaite still alive?- The botched summoning of Yog-Soggoth left him attached to the immortal being.
    3. Who the Hell is Dr. Norrington?- A pseudonym for the all-powerful Yog-Soggoth.
    4. What or who is the source of the Samulacrum?- The Villainous Charlie Ho-Tep.
    5. What will be the setup for the last episode?- After Charlie's failed Summoning of Junior, the Toybox is destroyed, and through a sudden twist of fate, Max swallows what is left of Junior, and is turned into a hideous Cthulu-like being.
    (Just so you know, the reason I couldn't play it until now is because I was out of town.)
  • edited July 2010
    Okay Okay Okay Okay! Someone who is very well connected and informed, PLEASE tell me WHEN Sam and Max Season 3 will be available for the Xbox 360?!
  • edited July 2010
    Max swallows what is left of Junior, and is turned into a hideous Cthulu-like being.

I think everyone is jumping the gun here and assuming that that it what happened exactly. Sure, landing on the seed might have been part of it BUT I still think there's more to it.
  • edited July 2010
    Is the theft of Sam's hat a throwback to Culture Shock? Is that why Sam could be controlled by Charlie Ho-Tep, because he wasn't wearing his anti-hypnosis helmet?
  • edited July 2010
    Is the theft of Sam's hat a throwback to Culture Shock? Is that why Sam could be controlled by Charlie Ho-Tep, because he wasn't wearing his anti-hypnosis helmet?

A really great connection. But I don't think Sam was being controlled by hypnosis during the final battle, or... well, keeping a device made by household items under your hat for 4 years shouldn't be that comfortable, so I believe he doesn't have the device in the hat anymore.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Ho-Tep hinted why some people were able to resist hypnotism while some could not. He said that the reason why he cloned Sam to do his bidding that Sam "was the perfect straight man that's born to be ordered around, without him worrying about any glimpse of free will that may born and unable him to control the clones no more", meaning that he can't control the people that urges to resist being under control of someone to accomplish a better goal of himself/herself. Sam clones were much likely started being produced even before the Penal Zone, and in all seasons we're shown that he always has the goal of cracking a case while spending time on it and pretty much thinks of nothing else. As the Sam of past -who is the one whose DNAs are taken- had no goals so that Charlie Ho-Tep could just use the newly created Sams as if he plays thousands of Sam and Max games at the same time. The real Sam, Max (although he's already impervious to any type of hypnotism), and Momma Bosco (since she was already in the cloning chamber but Charlie couldn't hypnotize her. There is a possibility that he never TRIED to hypnotize her but it's inconsistent since he wasn't hesitant about hypnotizing a girl working at a diner or a man-sized cockroach so that he could use them for repairing-clearing his cloning room. I mean, why not hypnotizing an actual SCIENTIST?) were most likely unable to be hypnotized since they have the goal of cracking this case, and their will of achieving their goal (it's also worth noting that their goal opposes Charlie's goal or being used as a hypnotized slave in the end, in a direct way) is proven to be the reason why they weren't hypnotized. Girl Stinky and Sal are simple not-so-intelligent beings, they don't care much about everything around them except their love and Stinky's death for whatever reason, so they were easy to be manipulated since their free will was powerless under Charlie's.

I really should stop posting so long replies.
  • edited July 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    A really great connection. But I don't think Sam was being controlled by hypnosis during the final battle, or... well, keeping a device made by household items under your hat for 4 years shouldn't be that comfortable, so I believe he doesn't have the device in the hat anymore.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Ho-Tep hinted why some people were able to resist hypnotism while some could not. He said that the reason why he cloned Sam to do his bidding that Sam "was the perfect straight man that's born to be ordered around, without him worrying about any glimpse of free will that may born and unable him to control the clones no more", meaning that he can't control the people that urges to resist being under control of someone to accomplish a better goal of himself/herself. Sam clones were much likely started being produced even before the Penal Zone, and in all seasons we're shown that he always has the goal of cracking a case while spending time on it and pretty much thinks of nothing else. As the Sam of past -who is the one whose DNAs are taken- had no goals so that Charlie Ho-Tep could just use the newly created Sams as if he plays thousands of Sam and Max games at the same time. The real Sam, Max (although he's already impervious to any type of hypnotism), and Momma Bosco (since she was already in the cloning chamber but Charlie couldn't hypnotize her. There is a possibility that he never TRIED to hypnotize her but it's inconsistent since he wasn't hesitant about hypnotizing a girl working at a diner or a man-sized cockroach so that he could use them for repairing-clearing his cloning room. I mean, why not hypnotizing an actual SCIENTIST?) were most likely unable to be hypnotized since they have the goal of cracking this case, and their will of achieving their goal (it's also worth noting that their goal opposes Charlie's goal or being used as a hypnotized slave in the end, in a direct way) is proven to be the reason why they weren't hypnotized. Girl Stinky and Sal are simple not-so-intelligent beings, they don't care much about everything around them except their love and Stinky's death for whatever reason, so they were easy to be manipulated since their free will was powerless under Charlie's.

I really should stop posting so long replies.

Still, Charlie Ho-Tep did control Sam pretty well. Sam tried to resist, a lot, but he couldn't do so effectively unless Charlie's focus was broken. He couldn't even talk (outside of a quick "Sorry" to Max) without gesturing to Charlie. Sam's goal to crack the case was a huge one, one that directly interfered with being used by Charlie Ho-Tep, but he still fell under. It seems like there's more to fully resisting Charlie than just not wanting to be a puppet.
  • edited July 2010
    Still, Charlie Ho-Tep did control Sam pretty well. Sam tried to resist, a lot, but he couldn't do so effectively unless Charlie's focus was broken. He couldn't even talk (outside of a quick "Sorry" to Max) without gesturing to Charlie. Sam's goal to crack the case was a huge one, one that directly interfered with being used by Charlie Ho-Tep, but he still fell under. It seems like there's more to fully resisting Charlie than just not wanting to be a puppet.

I'm pretty sure it's NOT hypnosis. His will wasn't under control, but he wasn't able to move his body. I say Charlie also has the power of paralyzing the bodies he's touching. It's completely different.
  • edited July 2010
    We saw Charlie's hypnosis when it was used on Stinky and on Sal - Sam was clearly under something different. Charlie was simply paralysing most of Sam's body so that Sam could still witness the final summoning of Junior and for the typical irony in the fact that he was now effectively puppeting Sam. He was controlling Sam's body but hypnotism is about controlling the mind - Charlie had no control over Sam's mind.
  • edited July 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's NOT hypnosis. His will wasn't under control, but he wasn't able to move his body. I say Charlie also has the power of paralyzing the bodies he's touching. It's completely different.

That's part of why I mentioned Culture Shock. Sam was hypnotized into delivering videos, but he still had his free will. Certainly enough free will to have BTADS knock him out, and enough to get rid of all the Brady's in his dreams. The state Sam was in then is similar to the state he was in when Charlie Ho-Tep was controlling him: Charlie could control what Sam did and what Sam said (you see this when you click on Sam in Max Mode the first time), but he couldn't control what Sam thought.
  • edited July 2010
    That's part of why I mentioned Culture Shock. Sam was hypnotized into delivering videos, but he still had his free will. Certainly enough free will to have BTADS knock him out, and enough to get rid of all the Brady's in his dreams. The state Sam was in then is similar to the state he was in when Charlie Ho-Tep was controlling him: Charlie could control what Sam did and what Sam said (you see this when you click on Sam in Max Mode the first time), but he couldn't control what Sam thought.

What does he say if you click on him the first time in Max Mode? I think I missed that part.

What you're saying makes sense, though. Charlie didn't hypnotize him, he just paralyzed him. He wanted to emphasive the irony of the fact that Sam was a puppet, now, since we can probably assume that Charlie was in that same situtation most of his life. Outside forced controlled what he said and did, and although he had no choice, his thoughts were still free, so resentment was able to build up. He probably was thinking that this would be his revenge for having to go through decades of that.

Wow, examining the psychological profiles of fictional demonic ventriloquist dummies. Yeah, my life is totally where I thought it would be.
  • edited July 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    Wow, examining the psychological profiles of fictional demonic ventriloquist dummies. Yeah, my life is totally where I thought it would be.

And for that is why exists fan forums.
  • edited July 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    What does he say if you click on him the first time in Max Mode? I think I missed that part.

Max: C'mon Sam, stop screwing around and start kicking some sawdust!
    Charlie Ho-Tep: (To Max) Your dopey friend can't talk right now, bunny! He's too busy playing straight man to Armageddon! (To Sam) Isn't that right, binky?
    Sam: Yes, master.
  • edited July 2010
    Very funny and catching episode. Funniest part is Sam's wondering about "
    biological compatibility
    " when
    Stinky's and Sal's relationship is revealed
    . IMHO there is also a bug in the beginning act.
    The toaster doesn't open secret passage before Stinky's mind is read
    . The hardest part is in final act where
    there is only Max, Charlie Ho-Tep and Devil's Toybox floating in the sky. I didn't first realize to look down
  • edited July 2010
    Boscofan wrote: »
    IMHO there is also a bug in the beginning act.
    The toaster doesn't open secret passage before Stinky's mind is read
    That's... kind of the point. You do realise her mindread reveals what option to set to make said thing happen, right?
  • edited July 2010
    That's... kind of the point. You do realise her mindread reveals what option to set to make said thing happen, right?
    And why would you set a toaster to "Incinerate" otherwise? That wouldn't make good toast. :(
  • edited July 2010
    And why would you set a toaster to "Incinerate" otherwise? That wouldn't make good toast. :(

If you were making toast for someone whom you loasthed...
  • edited July 2010
    @james54-thanks for clearing that up.
  • edited July 2010
    I finally got all the S&M games for my birthday & just caught up. I REALLY liked this episodes :D This season is SO awesome that I'm kinda depressed that there's only 1 episode left & that we'll likely have to wait at least 18 months for another season. I also like this season so much, that I'd pay $20 per episode (if I had a job).
  • edited July 2010

This gives me a good reason to play it through again. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    War Wolves wrote: »
    Okay Okay Okay Okay! Someone who is very well connected and informed, PLEASE tell me WHEN Sam and Max Season 3 will be available for the Xbox 360?!

well i dont know if they are making for xbox 360 .... im guessing the sells didnt do that good .... thats why its not for 360

PS3 on the otherhand im guessing its doing good job making sells or something (i dont know) ....(first time getting sam and max on Ps3) (still it needs seasons 1 and 2)

PC ver (yeah we know) it sells good wat else lool XD
    Mac(yeah first time mac gets sam and max... (they ported Sam and max Season 1 and 2) WTF??? and now they get season 3 0-0
  • edited July 2010
    War Wolves wrote: »

It is coming out for Xbox 360 eventually. Be patient. For some reason, it takes some time for them to release for the Xbox 360, but they plan on trying to get all of their games released for as many platforms as possible. Season 2 came fairly recently, especially considering when Season 2 came out for the PC, so be prepared to wait.
  • edited July 2010
    Gogeta504 wrote: »
    Mac(yeah first time mac gets sam and max... (they ported Sam and max Season 1 and 2) WTF??? and now they get season 3 0-0

Not true. Sam & Max Hit The Road was on Mac 17 years ago. The classic LucasArts point-and-click games are just as beloved in the Mac community as they are among PC gamers. Adventure games have always been way more popular on computer than console, so I don't know why it's so surprising that Telltale would do Mac versions, and would want to do simultaneous releases going forward. (Of the back catalog, only Season 2 has been ported to Mac so far, not Season 1 yet.)
  • edited July 2010
    The strange thing is that everyone says it's the best episode yet, and then Adventure Gamers says it's the worst. Geez, tough crowd.
  • edited July 2010
    Worse puzzles than 303? Lol! :D
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Not true. Sam & Max Hit The Road was on Mac 17 years ago. The classic LucasArts point-and-click games are just as beloved in the Mac community as they are among PC gamers. Adventure games have always been way more popular on computer than console, so I don't know why it's so surprising that Telltale would do Mac versions, and would want to do simultaneous releases going forward. (Of the back catalog, only Season 2 has been ported to Mac so far, not Season 1 yet.)

really?? i didnt know that i tought it was for PC only (hit the road)
    Which i never played ....

yeah i know someone else told me that .. mac doesnt have season 1
  • edited July 2010
    I am actually wondering how sam and max sells on other consoles...... anyway fantastic episode. I can't imagine the ending beating it which I prey it can.
  • edited July 2010
    I am actually wondering how sam and max sells on other consoles...... anyway fantastic episode. I can't imagine the ending beating it which I prey it can.

yeah :p .. im pretty sure that PC is selling good
    im not 100% on 360 (im guessing the sales didnt do that good??) which im wondering why is season 3 not for 360 also??? .... yeah the sales XD

PS3 (im guessing the sales are getting good) (alot of people have a ps3) (well not alot) ...
    Mac (same as PC i guess)
  • edited July 2010
    yeah :p .. im pretty sure that PC is selling good
    im not 100% on 360 (im guessing the sales didnt do that good??) which im wondering why is season 3 not for 360 also??? .... yeah the sales XD

PS3 (im guessing the sales are getting good) (alot of people have a ps3) (well not alot) ...
    Mac (same as PC i guess)

It's only in North America that sales of XBox 360 have always been way up on the PS3. In the UK, it's a lot lot closer (but the XBox 360 still wins).
  • edited August 2010
    Finished it , it was a decent episode & it's overrated ! , I'm very disappointing for this episode ,the beginning was awesome but after that the episode was fail ! the final showdown was good but not good as 302 final showdown , the ending was so ridiculous but when sam & max say 'nooooooooooooooooooo " I really laugh :D...

I hope the next episode will make this this season to the top !

my rating to the The Devil's Playhouse episodes :

1 - The Tomb of Sammun-Mak : 8.5

2 - The Penal Zone : 7.9

3 - Beyond the Alley of the Dolls : 7.0

4 - They Stole Max's Brain : 6.8
  • edited August 2010
    Hi. Looks like I'm a little late to the discussion. Been playing Sam & Max since Season 1, but only now have I decided to post something in the forums here.

I just created my own gaming news and reviews site, and I just knew that one of the first few reviews I have to do would be one of Telltale's adventure games. I've written up my own full review on the episode on my website here. If anyone's interested in reading it.

I enjoyed Episode 4 and like everyone, looking forward to the season finale. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Okay, i've finally downloaded it and played it for a short while.

The cursor doesn't work in windowed mode anymore (OSX, my machine).
    Very nice intro sequence, the paper/old Sam&Max thing.
    Nice setting in the beginning but the riddles in the diner made no sense to me. Solved it by try and error as otherwise it was beyond me why it makes sense that you have to eat some peanut butter so that you can't eat an ice cream anymore. The whole way to the backup tunnel with the not clickable barrel, the toaster and how you had to use the psychic powers was way too constructed. I hope the game will improve as otherwise it's noticeable worse on the riddle side than the last episode.
  • edited August 2010
    It's only in North America that sales of XBox 360 have always been way up on the PS3. In the UK, it's a lot lot closer (but the XBox 360 still wins).

yeah i live in NA and some of the people are getting ROD which sucks .... my xbox 360 got ROD so i threw it away (instead i bought PS3 slim) which is really good system (my opinion)

so like in euro people buy 360's????:p:rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010

BTW devils playhouse is not on 360 or wii (good thing i got rod) i still dont know why they wont make season 3 for 360???

for me PS3 wins XD :rolleyes::p:p:p:p
  • edited August 2010
    BTW devils playhouse is not on 360 or wii (good thing i got rod) i still dont know why they wont make season 3 for 360???

for me PS3 wins XD :rolleyes::p:p:p:p

TT will but they only release for one console at time of original release. If they get even bigger, who knows.
  • edited August 2010
    TT will but they only release for one console at time of original release. If they get even bigger, who knows.

yeah who knows they might do for 360
    i give 50/50 chance ....:p

im still surprised they made season 3 for PS3 and not 360
    im happy for that :rolleyes: and PS3 people havent played season 1 and 2 yet (some of the people):p
  • edited August 2010
    Okay, so I FINALLY got to sit down and play this episode, and it was great. Easily my favorite episode and making me wonder just what Adventure Gamers is on.

My favorite parts...
    -The Dogglegangers ghost riding the Desoto
    -Bluster Blaster's future
    -Bluster Blaster in general ("THOSE ARE REAL!? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!")
    -How "Samulacra" switched to "Dogglegangers" during every conversation
    -Badgers! Ieeee!
    -The entire showdown at the Statue of Liberty, what with Glowing Psychic Lotus Max (tm) and all.

My least favorite part?
    I made Sam cry. :(
  • edited August 2010
    yeah who knows they might do for 360
    i give 50/50 chance ....:p

I think it's quite likely considering that they went to the effort of putting Xbox 360 controller icons in the game (you see them if you play the PC version with a 360 controller).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.