Massive Sam and Max Copyright infringement.

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
A friend and myself were surfing through the net when we found this http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4245498

Two people are using the Sam and Max characters unlicensed to create a side scrolling beat'em up game, and are charging people from the furry fandom $50 to add their characters to said game.

This is profiting off the Sam and Max character names and franchise and a blatent copyright infringement.

I didn't know where else to post this.
-Shawni

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Urgh. Somebody should get on them, stat.
  • edited July 2010
    woow this is really serious and they need to watch the intro credits because its steve purcell who created sam and max and not them !!!! ... woow EPIC FAIL ON THEM ON FURRAFFINITY !!!! =P
  • edited July 2010
    I hope TellTale takes it to them.
  • edited July 2010
    Dear God...there's a NSFW version. Why has He forsaken us? Why?!

Also, the teeth are all wrong. Why God, why?!
  • edited July 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Dear God...there's a NSFW version. Why has He forsaken us? Why?!

Also, the teeth are all wrong. Why God, why?!

The worst thing is that Sam wears no golden shorts in that NSFW version.

Plus, a link to FurAffinity in my Telltale Forum makes me sad :'(
  • edited July 2010
    Get the law on those furry asses.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, burn the furry bastards!

And 50 bucks? What the hell?!
  • edited August 2010
    :eek: SOB. Please, someone sue these idiots. They cant just use the characters willy nilly and make profit out of them. This better be solved quickly. :( For shame...
  • edited August 2010
    Using the characters for a non official game should be enough for sue them. Anyway, these kind of games are usually fan-made non-profit enterprises and the copyright owners use to be a bit lenient about them.
    But in this case, it obviously isn't a non-profit game. $50!!! They got a nerve...
  • edited August 2010
    I hope they sue them for all they're worth. Seriously? $50? That's just wrong.
  • edited August 2010
    Using the characters for a non official game should be enough for sue them.

Not exactly, I assume Telltale has it where you can make fan art and fan creations, just as long as you acknowledge the creators and don't make profit.

These people, however, are making profit.

Telltale could probably easily win this court case, though. As the post says, it's only 2 guys making it and if they'll need people's $50 then they must not be loaded.

However, I want the case in court to be filmed, or at least in a court that films all it's cases (Judge Judy, anyone?) :D.
  • edited August 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »
    However, I want the case in court to be filmed, or at least in a court that films all it's cases (Judge Judy, anyone?) :D.

That would be awesome.
  • edited August 2010
    http://legi0n.789chan.org/i/res/879.html

Not sure if this would help at all. (Or infact make everything worse...)
  • edited August 2010
    This is such an outrage, I'm not even going to ask why you were looking for Sam and Max on Furaffinity.
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    The worst thing is that Sam wears no golden shorts in that NSFW version.

I am so glad that when I try to click on the NSFW version it tells me I'm not allowed to view it. I thought it was because I don't have a furaffinity account, but now I think it is because my laptop values my eyes.

I hope telltale (or whoever) put a stop to this. they are going to make quite a profit off sam n max if they charge $50 a character. If it was all free, itd be a kinda neat fan game (minus the furries), but charging like that grrrrr.
  • edited August 2010
    Sue them!sue them!im gona beat the crap outta the people who made that game!the people who made the game had better give credit or else :mad:

now to make us more happy heres guybrush doing some type of dance
    :guybrush:
  • edited August 2010
    I suppose Sam and Max being around the furry comunity was a no brainer and I guess people would like to make a fangame at some point... BUT $50!?! Just to have so some smuck could have their poorly drawn, brightly coloured monstoriousty of a "character" in a probably generic game? Now that just an't right!
  • edited August 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    I suppose Sam and Max being around the furry comunity was a no brainer and I guess people would like to make a fangame at some point... BUT $50!?! Just to have so some smuck could have their poorly drawn, brightly coloured monstoriousty of a "character" in a probably generic game? Now that just an't right!

This post pretty much explains why I hate furries.
  • edited August 2010
    Geez, what are these people thinking? Didn't they realise that it's illegal? I agree with the 'sue them' idea. I can't believe some of those commenters are actually willing to pay the money.
  • edited August 2010
    DJYellow22 wrote: »
    This post pretty much explains why I hate furries.
    Because... we... eh... nope, not making any sense out of this.

So please explain, why DO you hate me? I am pretty sure I never made a S&M fangame and charged for it... :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    Because... we... eh... nope, not making any sense out of this.

So please explain, why DO you hate me? I am pretty sure I never made a S&M fangame and charged for it... :rolleyes:

Depends, either you stir up unwanted drama or you rape my childhood.

Of course, I only hate those kinds of Furries. :P
  • edited August 2010
    I don't know what's sadder.. that it's infringing or that the people who posted there ACTUALLY want to give in.

And knowing what crap there is from these people as well as the junk I've seen on deviant art... the game will suck.
  • edited August 2010
    Actually it's legal...

The fangame itself is free and non-commercial.

They're doing commisions for your characters. It's common in art sites. You pay x amount of money for a drawing. In this case, you pay 50$ for a full sprite sheet of your character.
  • edited August 2010
    DJYellow22 wrote: »
    Depends, either you stir up unwanted drama or you rape my childhood.
    I've seen plenty of unwanted drama here over nutri-specs, early Ipad releases and other stuff...
    Of course, I only hate those kinds of Furries. :P
    Well, then be more specific next time.
    Actually it's legal...

The fangame itself is free and non-commercial.
    I don't think it is in fact. Fangame, yes. Commissions, yes. Adding commissions to the fangame using copyrights, getting very edgy here.

For example I am a developer of a fangame for a gamefranchise, and the current owner of the IP made it pretty clear we are allowed to continue, but only if we make profit in NO WAY. So no selling booster packs, or custom avatars or wheter which would resemble what happens here, but would infact not have anything to do with the "real IP"...
  • edited August 2010
    Jesus Christ get that weak stuff off the interwebs PLEASE for the love of Sam & Max!!!! :(
  • edited August 2010
    Um....what were you doing on furaffinity in the first place?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Sam and Max attracts that kind of fanbase, but it's still creepy.
  • edited August 2010
    Don't look now, but bubbledncr (from Telltale) is looking at this Thread! (According to the Who's Active list.) Justice will be served!
  • edited August 2010
    To everyone who was wondering, I was on FA in the first place because I do have an account there. I like some of the art (most of it just creeps me out). I just stumbled on this issue while I was browsing. Good thing I guess, seeing as every other furry who's seen it is all about going along with it >>
  • edited August 2010
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that Lucas Arts still owns the copyright to Sam and Max, and TellTale just licenses the characters. That would make Lucas Arts the correct people to take any legal action, which is good since they have a much larger legal staff (I assume).
  • edited August 2010
    Shawni wrote: »
    every other furry who's seen it is all about going along with it >>
    I ain't.
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that Lucas Arts still owns the copyright to Sam and Max, and TellTale just licenses the characters.
    UTTER FAIL.
    No offense.
  • edited August 2010
    Isn't the furry thing kind of irrelevant to the actual issue? I don't think you need to be a furry to do something like this.

I think this is pretty copyright infringing. They didn't even put it in the fanart category. In fact, I see no acknowledgement that the characters aren't theirs at all.

And there is some good art on that site as long as you keep the filters on.
  • edited August 2010
    I've looked at this thread about 5 times now and I can't get the words out to express my dissapointment at this development.

I'll just call the developers a pair of wank lobsters and leave it at that
  • edited August 2010
    I agree, if only because "wank lobsters" made me giggle.
  • edited August 2010
    I hope I'm not the only one looking up if and where lobsters have genetailia, becuase of 'wank lobsters'.
    It shouldn't be an issue of seing them maybe just tell them to stop making money from their intellectual property and if that doesn't work they could choose to take legal action.
  • edited August 2010
    Actually it's legal...

Not if

a) it's correctly stated further up the thread that they claim to have created the characters themselves.

b) this whole "give me $50" thing is just a scam.
  • edited August 2010
    They didn't say that Sam and Max were their characters, but they gave no real indication that they weren't. Except maybe in the members only screenshot, and I was going to check that one, but I couldn't remember my name, my password, or the email address I used to sign up, so I didn't. Which is probably for the best.
  • edited August 2010

I am a developer of a fangame for a gamefranchise

What game franchise?
  • edited August 2010
    I want Hassat Hunter to explain who a "furry" is, if he'd like to do so. That way we can avoid confusion and stop jumping onto conclusions.
  • edited August 2010
    I tried going on that site this morning, and it led to a blank page.

I think justice might have been served...
  • edited August 2010
    Nope, still working.
This discussion has been closed.