Most hilarious moments in Ep3 *Spoilers* (of course)

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Hey according to that Wiki article, this is the second time a Swordfish password reference has appeared in a Sam & Max thing (the article claims there was also a reference in the first episode of the cartoon show). Crazy times!
  • edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Hey according to that Wiki article, this is the second time a Swordfish password reference has appeared in a Sam & Max thing (the article claims there was also a reference in the first episode of the cartoon show). Crazy times!

If anyone is wondering, the cartoon's password turned out to be, "haggis."
    edited February 2007
    Oh yeah... I think it went something like

narrator: "the password is... haggis."
    sam: (shrugs) "... oil?"
    max: "haggis!"
  • edited February 2007
    actually Sam said "Boiled...." and Max said "Haggis!"
    edited February 2007
    Oh man, fair enough. It's been a billion years since I saw that episode.
  • edited February 2007

You can Google it and watch the whole 20 minutes of it, you know.
    edited February 2007
    The only computer I have up and running at home will implode if I try to view flash video on it. That said, I probably have that episode on VHS somewhere... though that would require plugging in a VHS player. So, I'll skip it :)
  • edited February 2007
    The only computer I have up and running at home will implode if I try to view flash video on it. That said, I probably have that episode on VHS somewhere... though that would require plugging in a VHS player. So, I'll skip it :)

Wow, crappy computer, no VCR? What are they paying you? =P
  • edited February 2007
    numble wrote: »

More like "How" are they paying you. Don't tell me that food stamp joke in Episode 2 is an in-company refferance to the payroll department.
  • edited February 2007
    Another good one:

One the workstation in the backroom: A hat for the FBI-Mafia Softball League.
  • edited February 2007
    I loved the No! cutoffs by Bosco when asked too many "Do you have.." lines, and the "Au reservoir" line.

But my fave is definitely Max's death speech. Hilarious.
  • edited February 2007
    Rosebud in video games
    # A password in Final Fantasy VI
    # A cheat code in The Sims
    # The last words of General Fettgesicht, the final boss of Wolfenstein 3D

- Also the intro password to the "hacking" game Uplink
    (Maybe the Citizen Kain reference spawned these)

Citizen Kane definitely spawned those. General Fettgesicht saying that before dying was the most direct reference to the film.

Anyhoo, my favorite quote has to be "Cathy may be married now, but she's still hot!" (That's not word for word, but close enough)
  • edited February 2007
    The Sam/Bosco "Do you have any..."-conversation was the funniest. Other than that:

Sam: "Are you okay, little buddy?"
    Max: "I can't hear you... I'm dead."

Sam: "I'm glad that you're not dead, Max."
    Max: "Me too. If being dead is as boring as pretending to be, I think I'll never do it."

And when Sam picks up the screw-driver in the factory, he says "Anybody got a screw loose?" and Max (still lying on the ground, playing dead) just lifts his head and gives Sam a thumbs-up for that silly joke... priceless! (and turning the silly joke into a hilarious one)
  • edited February 2007
    And when Sam picks up the screw-driver in the factory, he says "Anybody got a screw loose?" and Max (still lying on the ground, playing dead) just lifts his head and gives Sam a thumbs-up for that silly joke... priceless! (and turning the silly joke into a hilarious one)
    I was taking it as him pointing to
    the mole
  • edited February 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    the mole

Mmh... I thought it was obvious that Sam was referring to
    the mole
    , so I took Max' gesture as a thumbs-up.
    edited February 2007

I've got a PC that was state of the art last year (and is still therefore very nice) sitting here by my desk, but its on-board ethernet fried a couple weeks ago, and I haven't bothered to fix it lately since I do so little PC gaming at home. I'm on a PowerBook G4 from around 2000 at the moment :) I also have a pretty nice "prosumer" level SVHS player, but I haven't watched a video casette in so long that I unplugged it from my entertainment center.
    edited February 2007
    the mole

I'm pretty sure it was a thumbs up!
  • edited February 2007
    Looked like a thumbs up to me.
  • edited February 2007
    The "boiled..." "haggis!" joke was my favorite joke in the entire series.
  • edited February 2007
    I've got a PC that was state of the art last year (and is still therefore very nice) sitting here by my desk, but its on-board ethernet fried a couple weeks ago, and I haven't bothered to fix it lately since I do so little PC gaming at home. I'm on a PowerBook G4 from around 2000 at the moment :) I also have a pretty nice "prosumer" level SVHS player, but I haven't watched a video casette in so long that I unplugged it from my entertainment center.

You've ruined your chance to exaggerate your poor living conditions, which would have been seen by Dan, who would've given you a raise. We set it up perfectly for you...
  • edited February 2007
    I'm surprised more people didn't like the disturbing bear heads songs. They are, as far as I'm concerned, the apex of comedy in Sam and Max games, including the original. In fact, it's debatable if I've seen something funnier in anything else.

"We're just doing business legitimately!"

Pure gold.
  • edited February 2007
    Oilers99 wrote: »
    I'm surprised more people didn't like the disturbing bear heads songs. They are, as far as I'm concerned, the apex of comedy in Sam and Max games, including the original. In fact, it's debatable if I've seen something funnier in anything else.

"We're just doing business legitimately!"

Pure gold.

As much as I loved the song, I felt it was too short. It was still very nice to hear, but I would like to have had an extra verse and a very cheesy closing line to make it a full song, similar to More Than Jerks.
  • edited February 2007
    As much as I loved the song, I felt it was too short. It was still very nice to hear, but I would like to have had an extra verse and a very cheesy closing line to make it a full song, similar to More Than Jerks.

I think it needed a few more puzzles.
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah the song was too easy
  • edited February 2007
    Geez, you guys don't understand. If it was a harder song than casual players will not understand it and get stuck. What if, instead of spelling out "N-O-M-A-F-I-A," the bear heads said "T-H-E-R-E-I-S-N-O-M-A-F-I-A-H-E-R-E," some players would get stuck for days figuring it out, and the Latin and Hoover references are at just the right level between easy allusion and obscure reference.

:p
  • edited February 2007
    Geez, you guys don't understand. If it was a harder song than casual players will not understand it and get stuck. What if, instead of spelling out "N-O-M-A-F-I-A," the bear heads said "T-H-E-R-E-I-S-N-O-M-A-F-I-A-H-E-R-E," some players would get stuck for days figuring it out, and the Latin and Hoover references are at just the right level between easy allusion and obscure reference.

:p

You moron - read again my original reply, but this time - think hard about the context and the sentence structure! :D
  • edited February 2007
    matan wrote: »
    You moron - read again my original reply, but this time - think hard about the context and the sentence structure! :D

BAHAHAHAHA! I think I sense a running joke in the making at these here forums...

I loved the bear song, but I already forget exactly how it goes... whereas the Soda Poppers theme still finds it's way into my daily humming at times.
  • edited February 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I loved the bear song, but I already forget exactly how it goes... whereas the Soda Poppers theme still finds it's way into my daily humming at times.

That's true, but I think that will be corrected as soon as we'll get an mp3 of that song :)
  • edited February 2007
    And when OCRemix.org gets a hold of it and ends up producing a barber shop a capella version of the song.
  • edited February 2007
    That gives me an idea... I still have my music editing tools from my never-finished rap project, I should do a rap version of that song :p Anyone have the complete lyrics?
    edited February 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    The "boiled..." "haggis!" joke was my favorite joke in the entire series.

Yeah it's up there for me as well, even though I failed to remember the actual quote.

Also: this thread (especially the meta bits earlier on in this page), and the mega-plot speculation thread are two of my favorite threads on this forum.
  • edited February 2007
    Beside Max' death scene, I really liked the bullethole-silouette (sp?) on the officewall. Especially the bullethole in the middle :p
    (May have been used before, but I just noticed it this time around.. I don't know)
  • edited February 2007
    kjetass wrote: »
    Beside Max' death scene, I really liked the bullethole-silouette (sp?) on the officewall. Especially the bullethole in the middle :p
    (May have been used before, but I just noticed it this time around.. I don't know)
    If you want to know how that happened, play episode 1 again. You'll find out right away :D.
  • edited February 2007
    And when OCRemix.org gets a hold of it and ends up producing a barber shop a capella version of the song.

And then we can read the on-site critique of it. "This remix harkens back to a simpler time. The modal tone shifts and ostinatos are really quite luminous. I remember music like this from back when my grandfather was still operating his own business, a story which I will now describe in detail..."
  • edited February 2007
    I see someone else also visits the site on a regular basis!:D

It's a shame they don't have Sam & Max HTR Remixes up on there, but with Jared doing the music for Season 1 right now and the direction he is going, I doubt we will need it from OCR.
  • edited February 2007
    I really enjoyed
    "death" of Max
    . That little buddy sure cracks me up.
    edited February 2007
    I see someone else also visits the site on a regular basis!:D

It's a shame they don't have Sam & Max HTR Remixes up on there,

There's always the Sam & Max Disco... and a few other remixes floating around here.

Update: These are hilarious. I haven't listened to (or remembered) any of these MP3s in ages.

And a shady photoshopping made by me back when the very first Infinite Machine -developed Sam & Max sequel was announced circa 2001. Blast from the past!
  • edited February 2007
    Episode 3 contains the best Max line I've ever heard. If I remember it correctly, it goes like this:

SAM: By the way, Max, I'm glad you're not dead.
    MAX: Me too. If being dead is half as boring as pretending to be dead, I'll pass. :p :D
  • edited February 2007

Don't you see? It's the brevity that allows for the comedy! Without the shortness of it, it wouldn't be nearly as funny!

Are we still talking about the song, or the gameplay design? ;)
  • edited February 2007
    There's always the Sam & Max Disco... and a few other remixes floating around here.
    Yeah, but those aren't as good as The Ken Song, Cataclysmic Clash,Super Buck Jazz, and The Great Tentacle Pianist.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.