Raptors

edited May 2011 in Jurassic Park
I just watched the first movie again and noticed that they said 7 raptors were bred. Then the large female raptor killed all but 2 of the others, leaving just 3 total. At the end of the movie 2 are killed by the t-rex. This means that there is only one raptor left on the island to appear in the game (plus any baby raptors from the lab). That's probably why they needed to introduce a "new threat."

Comments

• edited January 2011
    raptors will find a way
  • edited January 2011
    One of the Game Informer pictures shows a couple of Raptors hanging out by Nedry's jeep.
  • edited January 2011
    Spinky wrote: »
    I just watched the first movie again and noticed that they said 7 raptors were bred. Then the large female raptor killed all but 2 of the others, leaving just 3 total. At the end of the movie 2 are killed by the t-rex. This means that there is only one raptor left on the island to appear in the game (plus any baby raptors from the lab). That's probably why they needed to introduce a "new threat."

Raptors were secretly breeding in the novel and the footprints by the nest that Grant found in the movie looked like those of raptors IRC.
  • edited January 2011
    Raptors were secretly breeding in the novel and the footprints by the nest that Grant found in the movie looked like those of raptors IRC.

It's not based on the book franchise but the movie, but yes those were raptor footprints that were trailing off.
  • edited January 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    It's not based on the book franchise but the movie, but yes those were raptor footprints that were trailing off.

Yeah I know, but the book was often used in the past to add more story elements into movie-related stuff.

Like the raptors breeding in a cave or compys living on Isla Nublar, the river scene, and so on.
  • edited January 2011
    Dinosaurs were breeding in the movie too. Remeber the scene where Grant stumbles upon the nest? Who's to say the Raptors didn't have eggs before getting chomped on by the T-Rex?

Edit: I think the addition of a new dinosaur was to keep things fresh and interesting. Imagin what JP3 would have been like without the Spinosaurs. Would have been a tad bit boaring.
  • edited January 2011
    The funny thing about Spinosaurus is that it had a significantly lighter build than the T-Rex. How they portrayed that marine dieted animal in the lineage with dilophosaurus and baryonyx in JP3 was ludicrous IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    is the game going to be on ps3?!?!
  • edited January 2011
    Drevial wrote: »
    The funny thing about Spinosaurus is that it had a significantly lighter build than the T-Rex. How they portrayed that marine dieted animal in the lineage with dilophosaurus and baryonyx in JP3 was ludicrous IMO.

I beleive your thinking of Suchimimus

is the game going to be on ps3?!?!

Nothing has been confirmed as to which system it will be available for at this time.
  • edited January 2011
    nope, I'm specifically speaking about Spinosaurus
  • edited January 2011
    Spinosaurus aegypticius is in the same family as Baryonyx and Suchomimus if I remember correctly. I just love how everyone assumes Spinosaurus is huge when we've only found portions of its skull, a few ribs, and a couple of spines and maybe a couple of tailbones. This dinosaur could have a short tail and be hunched down on tiny legs.

As for the raptors, yes there were raptor tracks leading away from the eggs. And there's also this possibility. They might have bred before the events of the movie and the babies merely escaped. They might have been small enough to creep out of that pen.
  • edited January 2011
    Wasnt there a near complete Spino in a European museum that was destroyed from bombing during WWII? I thought I had read that somewhere.... Regardless you would be surprised how accurate they can guess size with just a skull and some ribs.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't know how complete it was, though we now believe that the skull they had was wrong.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, there was a lot of remains destroyed in Egypt during WWII, so who can say if it was the right skull or not. When it all boils down to ancestry, it's the ceolophysians that get all the credit for that family proliferation. Now, Giganotosaurus is a huge beast which is much more complete than Spinosaurus and is of a different genus of course, but rivals most Tyrannosaurus species in size!
  • edited January 2011
    Well, there was a lot of remains destroyed in Egypt during WWII, so who can say if it was the right skull or not. When it all boils down to ancestry, it's the ceolophysians that get all the credit for that family proliferation. Now, Giganotosaurus is a huge beast which is much more complete than Spinosaurus and is of a different genus of course, but rivals most Tyrannosaurus species in size!

Some Giganotosaurs are bigger than T-Rex. ;)
  • edited January 2011
    not all Tyrannosaurids are as big as Sue, which is a Tyrannosaurus "Rex" in particular to that group, meaning it is the biggest of that group. So, my comparison is based off of the diversity of both genus'.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Wasnt there a near complete Spino in a European museum that was destroyed from bombing during WWII? I thought I had read that somewhere.... Regardless you would be surprised how accurate they can guess size with just a skull and some ribs.

Yes, but there were no actual photographs of the animal.
  • edited March 2011
    This is something thats been nagging at me (and keeping me from sleeping tonight ><) since it just popped into my head after having a long look at the screenshot of the raptors around nedrys jeep, and after looking to see if there were any other threads on the matter this one just raises further questions.

The first thing thats bothering me could possible solved if we know if this game is going to end the same time that the movie ends when everyone gets off the island or not, anyway: we see the raptors around nedrys jeep at night, however it was my understanding that in the movie nedry turned the power off to all the main fences and not the raptor fences (muldoon asks to make sure about the raptor fences and arnold says they are still up) The raptor fences dont go down until after they do a total shutdown of the system which seems to be around either morning/early day at which point the raptors get free and head for the maintenance bunker/shed thing where arnold gets killed and elly turns the power back on, so they couldnt have been around nedrys jeep or anywhere really at night.

This next ones been buggin me since i read the thread but has more to do with the movie than this game. ok so apparently the raptors are breeding on the island (which i knew happend in the book but didnt know about the movie until now) But how exactly did they manage that? The raptors were kept under tight watch and in that smaller more secure pen and they certainly werent free long enough to go lay eggs and have them hatch, so if those were raptor eggs grant found at what point did they lose long enough track of a few raptors for that to happen?
  • TB3TB3
    edited March 2011
    There was a theory (quite a good one I think) explaining why the Raptors could have bred.

In short, they bred before they were moved into the pen.

To explain, during the 'fences shutting down' scene in the movie, Arnold's status display shows that there is a paddock in the Park reserved for the raptors.

The theory is that the raptors were originally introduced into the Park setting like the other dinos, but due to either the animals' viciousness (or more likely due to the introduction of 'The Big One') it was decided safer to relocate them - so the pen was built and the animals transferred. According to this, the opening scene of the movie shows the Big One arriving at the pen, not from Isla Sorna, but from the Raptor paddock in the park.

Following this idea through, the raptors may have had enough time while in their paddock to trans-gender, mate, incubate and lay at least one clutch of eggs. It may also explain how these new animals went unnoticed - with all three surviving raptors removed from the paddock, the JP staff may have stopped surveilance on that piece of land, because it was (in theory at least) empty, giving the juivenile raptors open space to go wild.

Then, when the park fences went down, the animals took their chance to get the hell out of the paddock.

On the pro side of this theory, it seems to nicely fit along with Muldoon's dialogue - his description of the arrival of The Big One and the subsequent events suggest a longish timescale (his cryptic 'they remembered...' line also implies that Jophrey the gatekeeper's death came some time after the Big One's arrival), but the timeframe after the initial accident with Jophrey suggests a short period - enough time for his family to sue and the investors to panic, forcing Genarro to round up the endorsement team.

On the con side, would there really have been enough time for the additional raptors to have grown to maturity (and possibly even got started on a second generation, as evidenced by the clutch of eggs Grant found)? Muldoon did say the animals were lethal at the age of eight months, but the animals we see in the trailer appear to be either late adolescants or full-grown adults.

Feel free to make of all that what you will :)
  • edited March 2011
    This is something thats been nagging at me (and keeping me from sleeping tonight ><) since it just popped into my head after having a long look at the screenshot of the raptors around nedrys jeep, and after looking to see if there were any other threads on the matter this one just raises further questions.

The first thing thats bothering me could possible solved if we know if this game is going to end the same time that the movie ends when everyone gets off the island or not, anyway: we see the raptors around nedrys jeep at night, however it was my understanding that in the movie nedry turned the power off to all the main fences and not the raptor fences (muldoon asks to make sure about the raptor fences and arnold says they are still up) The raptor fences dont go down until after they do a total shutdown of the system which seems to be around either morning/early day at which point the raptors get free and head for the maintenance bunker/shed thing where arnold gets killed and elly turns the power back on, so they couldnt have been around nedrys jeep or anywhere really at night.

This next ones been buggin me since i read the thread but has more to do with the movie than this game. ok so apparently the raptors are breeding on the island (which i knew happend in the book but didnt know about the movie until now) But how exactly did they manage that? The raptors were kept under tight watch and in that smaller more secure pen and they certainly werent free long enough to go lay eggs and have them hatch, so if those were raptor eggs grant found at what point did they lose long enough track of a few raptors for that to happen?

I thought of that too.
    Well we have no evidence that the eggs and the footprints were from Velociraptors. Following only the movie alone you can come to the conclusion that after the end there are NO raptors left.
    Why?
    Because in the high security pen there were three: "the big one" and it's 2 "girlfriends". One of them was locked in the freezer in the kitchen by Lex and Tim. The second one escaped the kitchen and followed the group into the control room and after that onto the skeletton in the rotunda. The third and last one appeared behind a canvas cover in the rotunda and well both got killed by the T-Rex.

BUT... there's always a but ;)
    Actually the raptor pen wasn't inicially meant to maintain the Velociraptors on Isla Nublar. As we can see on the screen in the control room when the fences went down there's one raptor paddock in the park:
    raptorpaddock.jpg

So I think we can assume that the raptors were primary thought to be contained in a usual holding pen until that happened what Muldoon was explaining: "We bred eight originally but when she came in...she took over the pride and killed all but two of the others [...] That's why we have to feed them like this. She had them all attacking the fences when the feeders came. [...] They were testing the fences for weaknesses systematically."
    I think the eight original raptors were held in the paddock for months (maybe years) until "the big one" has been brought over from Isla Sorna. During that time the eight raptors could have been breeding unnoticed. The pride's leader killed six of the other adults and there remained only three which were then taken to the high security pen (that's the opening scene of the movie).
    Yeah, and the raptor paddock remained empty - at least that's what the park's staff thought.
    When Nedry shut down the fences the rest of the bred raptors in the paddock got free. (Not the 3 ones in the high security pen).
  • edited March 2011
    They're Lethal at 8 months, and I do mean lethal.
  • edited March 2011
    TB3 wrote: »
    There was a theory (quite a good one I think) explaining why the Raptors could have bred.

In short, they bred before they were moved into the pen.

To explain, during the 'fences shutting down' scene in the movie, Arnold's status display shows that there is a paddock in the Park reserved for the raptors.

The theory is that the raptors were originally introduced into the Park setting like the other dinos, but due to either the animals' viciousness (or more likely due to the introduction of 'The Big One') it was decided safer to relocate them - so the pen was built and the animals transferred. According to this, the opening scene of the movie shows the Big One arriving at the pen, not from Isla Sorna, but from the Raptor paddock in the park.

Following this idea through, the raptors may have had enough time while in their paddock to trans-gender, mate, incubate and lay at least one clutch of eggs. It may also explain how these new animals went unnoticed - with all three surviving raptors removed from the paddock, the JP staff may have stopped surveilance on that piece of land, because it was (in theory at least) empty, giving the juivenile raptors open space to go wild.

Then, when the park fences went down, the animals took their chance to get the hell out of the paddock.

On the pro side of this theory, it seems to nicely fit along with Muldoon's dialogue - his description of the arrival of The Big One and the subsequent events suggest a longish timescale (his cryptic 'they remembered...' line also implies that Jophrey the gatekeeper's death came some time after the Big One's arrival), but the timeframe after the initial accident with Jophrey suggests a short period - enough time for his family to sue and the investors to panic, forcing Genarro to round up the endorsement team.

On the con side, would there really have been enough time for the additional raptors to have grown to maturity (and possibly even got started on a second generation, as evidenced by the clutch of eggs Grant found)? Muldoon did say the animals were lethal at the age of eight months, but the animals we see in the trailer appear to be either late adolescants or full-grown adults.

Feel free to make of all that what you will :)

As the novel suggests, when they did the population count, they scanned the environment for the known amount of dinosaurs they had released on their paddocks. The system would only alert if there were fewer than the tallied amount. If the population went above that number, nobody would notice, the machine would do nothing. I think Malcolm was the one to suggest in the novel to search not for a given number in the population, but to count all dinosaurs the system could detect, and that is how they found out they were undeniably breeding.
  • edited March 2011
    OMG!!!!!
    that is ..... UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

TB3 and me posted the same explanation at the same time!!!!!
    I was curious when I found the quote of TB3 in the last post because I didn't read it before BUT then I realized that he made the post DURING I was writing mine.
    Even more unbelievable is that the content is so similar!

Cheers to you TB3!!!!!!!!!!
  • TB3TB3
    edited March 2011
    I tip my hat to you Tope!

Qudos on finding the screencap - I find it interesting that although the onscreen display labels it as 'Raptor Paddock', the side-bar lists it as 'Reserve Paddock' - really suggests the staff didn't know what to do with that paddock once they'd moved the three adults out.
  • edited March 2011
    In the novel they had loose adults and juveniles running around. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing happening here. They've probably just been "under the radar" as it were because the network is programmed to looked for a specific number of animals, I'm sure.
  • edited March 2011
    TB3 wrote: »
    I tip my hat to you Tope!

Qudos on finding the screencap - I find it interesting that although the onscreen display labels it as 'Raptor Paddock', the side-bar lists it as 'Reserve Paddock' - really suggests the staff didn't know what to do with that paddock once they'd moved the three adults out.

Its interesting they would position the Raptors in the middle of the park...
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks everyone! those explinations make sense and are even supported by the movie, now i can rest easy xD

As a side note i love how everyone here in this forum loves jurassic park as much as i do and not ony wonders about the same things i do, but finds solutions for em, where ave y'all been all my life? xD
  • TB3TB3
    edited March 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »
    Its interesting they would position the Raptors in the middle of the park...

The more fences between them and the Vistors Center the better I guess - the other paddocks act like a barrier - it's the same with Rexy - he's right over on the eastern perimeter.

Little thought relating to the raptors - did anyone ever wonder what were the criteria by which 'The Big One' choose which of her kin to kill? It occurs to me that not all of the animals bred by InGen would have gotten the right amphibian genes which allowed for the trans-gender switch - as such, what if only two of the eight raptors originally bred became male - the Big One chose them as her mates/henchmen and killed off all the other females that might otherwise have competed with her for breeding rights.

As an offshoot of that, if there was breeding going on in the Raptor Paddock prior to her arrival, she seems to have let the offspring of her competitors survive to maturity, unlike in a lion pride where a newly dominant male will kill any infants not his own. Guess she was intelligent enough to recognise that the species needed a good litter of young, but still animal enough to wipe out direct opposition.
  • edited March 2011
    One whole problem/aspect to these whole theories...

Wouldn't Ingen scientist, constantly monitoring their creations, notice the gender change at some point when they tested them? I mean they didnt simply stop attending those million dollar dinos medically after they were released on their paddocks ...
  • TB3TB3
    edited March 2011
    One whole problem/aspect to these whole theories...

Wouldn't Ingen scientist, constantly monitoring their creations, notice the gender change at some point when they tested them? I mean they didnt simply stop attending those million dollar dinos medically after they were released on their paddocks ...

It depends - on JpLegacy I made a post on the subject after looking at some information on the famous West African genderbender frogs. It seems that in said instance, whilst the frogs reproductive system reconfigured, the mutation did not extend to body build, colourings, etc, because of insufficient 'energy' - i.e. metabolic energy to sustain all these changes.

This is quite possibly why the Jurassic Park staff missed it (and we know they must have) - the animals changed genders in the most basic way possible, but secondary gender characteristics (sexual dimorphism, alternate body-build, colouration, etc) did not occur.

This is supported by the fact that the raptors from JP all look identical, even though at least one of them is probably male. However, sexual dimorphism would be evident in any naturally-born animals born to these raptors, and we see this in Lost World and JP3, with male raptors being visually distinct from the females.

And coming at this from another track, why didn't regular medical exam note the new repoductive organs - it seems to me that medical treatment of the animals was a little slipshod, at least when it came to trying to understand their physiology. The novel mentions Hammond forbidding killing any of the Dilophosaurs in order to locate the venom glands via autopsy, and its entirely possible that once the animals reached maturity, invasive medical treatment was not allowed (given the expense each animal represents, and the number of failed births that occured at Isla Sorna for each successful hatching, understandable).

Also, even if they had suspected the gender-bender, would Harding have known what to look for? Does anyone have a reasonable idea of what a Dinosaur phallus would look like, or even if the animals fertilised the eggs internally, in which case there would be even less of a visable repoductive system.

Nb: Did some research - if the dinosaurs are as bird-like as Grant believes, they may have reproduced cloacally, like birds - this is where each animal, regardless of gender, has a single posterior orifice (the cloaca) which acts for explusion of feaces and urine, and for reproduction (both the laying of eggs and transfer of sperm) - the male and the female essentially perform a 'cloacal kiss' - pressing their hindquarters together long enough for sperm to cross to the female.

As such, no-one would have noticed the gender transformation because the change is entirely internal - only invasive surgery or post-mortem would have revealed the change.

Nbb: One final find - some birds (such as the very JP-relevant Ostrich) do possess a phallus, however when not in use it is hidden within the cloacal vent, and thus (if applicant to the JP dinos), hidden. The testes are also hidden internally.

Many reptiles also reproduce this way, so if we consider dinosaurs to have qualities from each, the theory of cloacal repoduction (and thus, limited, internalised gender-transformation) is a very valid model.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, I thought of some of the things you've mentioned, and I agree, but even though the dinosaur' s phenotype does not change and does make it hard for scientist (who also may have only a rough clue about the extincts animal's anatomy) to see a visible change, they do have a through research on their genotype, and the sex change would reflect on this.

Depending on how many chromosomes dinosaurs have, if they are indeed bird like, the chromosomes determining their sex would be their ZW chromosomes, analogous to our XY chromosomes. So scientist would indeed notice a change in their genetic makeup, something they do understand far more than their morphology and behavior. Unless sex-change does not modify genetic material, which I highly doubt given that in this case, it is the genetic material itself that provokes the change.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, I thought of some of the things you've mentioned, and I agree, but even though the dinosaur' s phenotype does not change and does make it hard for scientist (who also may have only a rough clue about the extincts animal's anatomy) to see a visible change, they do have a through research on their genotype, and the sex change would reflect on this.

Depending on how many chromosomes dinosaurs have, if they are indeed bird like, the chromosomes determining their sex would be their ZW chromosomes, analogous to our XY chromosomes. So scientist would indeed notice a change in their genetic makeup, something they do understand far more than their morphology and behavior. Unless sex-change does not modify genetic material, which I highly doubt given that in this case, it is the genetic material itself that provokes the change.

So does it make sense or not?? Guess I found another plothole in JP XD lol
  • edited March 2011
    As far as I can tell from re-reading the novel several times (one of my fav), they basically have no control over that island but believe that they have complete control over it, which is a bad combination. Now, I know this isn't based off of the books, but still, the film is based off of the books and they're using the film as a premise, so it's no that much of a stretch to say that raptors may have been out and about breeding for quite a while by the time the big one even comes along.
  • edited March 2011
    Spinky wrote: »

dont forget Lex locked one in the freezer...;)
  • edited March 2011
    DJGlitch64 wrote: »

Good point. I never realized that.
  • edited March 2011

I think that one escaped...kuz dont forget...Ellie left one in the maintenance shed.
  • edited March 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    I think that one escaped...kuz dont forget...Ellie left one in the maintenance shed.

but she was asked if it could get out and she replied " not unless they figured how to open doors". The raptor came in through the side of the visitor's center by walking under the plastic tarp.

remember this?
    4io9j7.jpg

after one got locked in the freezer, it was only ever two raptors after the one from the shed popped out
  • edited March 2011
    Though the movie doesn't really focus on this, there were different breeds of raptors made on the island. I would think this may slightly contribute to the equation.
  • edited March 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »

in theory he's right. it was mentioned in the movie. and since no one has the balls to go into the raptor enclosure they were probably breeding ever since they were introduced to the park, in essence there were more raptors in the cage than muldoon thought because they change gender. who knows how many raptors there could have been. tresspasser canon says the jurassic park project began in 1983, i am unaware of when hammond bought nublar (he owned isla sorna first) so we dont know how long the raptors were on nublar
  • edited March 2011
    but she was asked if it could get out and she replied " not unless they figured how to open doors".

Uhhh...Raptors CAN open doors. Hence, why the next immediate shot was a Raptor opening a door. :confused:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.