"Get Tannen!" REVIEW thread

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I love the idea of the game, but episode 2 definitely seemed pretty short in comparison to the first. Maybe I just paced myself differently while playing, but I wouldn't have minded about an extra hour of gameplay.

Other than that, I LOVED the ending - I'm so excited to see episode 3 because the twist is so juicy this time around.
  • edited February 2011
    Recently i received an email from Telltale about my free BTTF episode, which is ep1. I started playing it today and i enjoyed it so much that i decided to buy the whole season for 18 euros. I mean..what is 18 euros?

I love how they 'cartoonized' the well known characters and they really have done a great job. The animations are brilliant too and those emotions are spot on. Story so far is very enjoyable and it's really a big 'feel good' game. We don't have enough of those and i want to support that.

Plus now that i get to game a bit on my laptop too, it's been years since i've really gamed on anything other than consoles. Anyway, anyone looking for a great adventure game , BTTF is the way to go!!!

When i have finished ep 1 and 2, i'm gonna see what other Telltale adventures are worth it for me. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Glad you are enjoying it :)

If you are looking at other Telltale games I'd personally recommend Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max season 2 (though you kind of have to play through the much weaker Sam & Max season 1 to understand the stories and characters in the later seasons, but it's totally worth it).

I also quite enjoyed Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, if you are a fan of the animated shorts or the film I'd quite recommend it.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I second Woodsyblue's suggestions of TOMI, Sam & Max Season Two and Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, though I think Woodsyblue is a little harsh on Sam & Max Season One.
    While it's not up to the level of the second season, especially the first few episodes, it definitely picks up steam in the second half and in my view, the last three episodes are every bit as good as anything from season two, especially Reality 2.0, which is definitely in my top 3 Sam & Max episodes.
    Also, once you're done with the first two seasons, you've definitely got to give The Devil's Playhouse (my personal favorite game of Telltale's) a spin.
    As for Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, I wasn't exactly looking forward to it (probably because before it was announced, I was hoping for a Monkey Island game that had yet to come), but it ended up being one of my favorite Telltale gaming experiences. The game feels just like the shorts (but then again, which Telltale game doesn't feel like the property it's based on?).
    Welcome to Telltale's world! ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Just remember that the other games are harder than this game, which is actually more of a reason to buy it.
    I believe sam and max season 2 is the funiest/hardest game they have.
    Oh, and Abe Lincoln Must Die is also a free game so try your hand at that.:D
  • edited February 2011
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    I second Woodsyblue's suggestions of TOMI, Sam & Max Season Two and Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, though I think Woodsyblue is a little harsh on Sam & Max Season One.
    While it's not up to the level of the second season, especially the first few episodes, it definitely picks up steam in the second half and in my view, the last three episodes are every bit as good as anything from season two, especially Reality 2.0, which is definitely in my top 3 Sam & Max episodes.
    Also, once you're done with the first two seasons, you've definitely got to give The Devil's Playhouse (my personal favorite game of Telltale's) a spin.

It is absolutely true that season one picks up about half way through and I probably should have mentioned that. The first episode is my least liked of all the Telltale episodes I've played.
    Brady Culture and The Soda Poppers, good lord no. And Max's voice is just wrong in 101. I'm so glad they changed voice actors; William Kasten is perfect as Max!
    Point is don't judge Sam & Max based on the first episode or two. Persevere, it gets better, a lot better!

The Devil's Playhouse (Sam & Max season 3) is also fantastic but I still have to say that season 2 is my favroite.
  • edited February 2011
    I always turn off the hints and popups , PNC games are becoming too baby friendly. Everything was Too easy, when there was a problem there was an instant comment on how to fix it.

The Flying Rocket Car was just pushing things too far!
    Lets not get Too Cartoony Please.

Apart from that I still enjoyed it. 4 out of 5 Im looking forward to the next ep, but im expecting some silly paradoxes
  • edited February 2011
    paulmccain wrote: »
    What puzzles would you do instead for Episodes 1 and 2 to make it more difficult?

Ah, sorry, just saw your comment.

I DID actually start to re-write the episodes, wanting to post a sort of walkthrough with more difficult puzzles... I soon gave up, figured "who would care, really?".

If it does help you picture the difficulty level... think of it this way. The old games took a few months to complete. As one classic said
    "Banging your head on the table until you found the answer" - Dominic Armato, "Words of Wisdom" Vol. II

Clever puzzles that actually took some thinking. Kind of like the door puzzle, but not only dialogue based. REally really hard stuff to figure out, but logical in the end! (not random). :)

Best way to show you guys this is to make a game.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah the story is starting to get crazy again just like the movies, i dare even say more crazy xD

Tbh i would not even dare time travel in real life even if i could, seriously if this is how time travel works,its amazing just how little it takes to litterly f*ck up youre life xD
  • edited February 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    Dear lord, I've heard of Shorthand but this is ridiculous!

Your being
    Typist!
  • edited February 2011
    I just don't understand why there is no combining of inventory items in BTTF. I think it would make the puzzles a lot more entertaining. Especially since the overall difficulty level is really low. BTTF episode 1 and 2 just don't seem to match the quality of Tales Of Monkey Island. Nevertheless, I still had A LOT of fun playing the game. Back To The Future has always been one of my favourite movies and the game is a worthy successor to the series. I just can't wait for episode 3 to be released!
  • edited February 2011
    The episode was short and very bland.

Lots of issues with the artwork, bad shaders, missing / generally poor textures and lots smoothing group issues.
  • edited February 2011
    I like this short stories this episode based games....it's nice not to get stuck anywhere !!! And the integrated hint system ... it's cool.... Just when you need it.... Well the 2nd part was better than the 1st... And the ending I could say could be foretold but that's the beauty of it.... To live the history, like it, and predict the future, or past, or present, or whatever....these world mechanics got me confused !!! Nice going Telltale staff.... But I really HATE Marty's voice.... It's a sorry excuse for a M.J. Fox imitation.. But I guess it was the best you could find...
    Keep up the good work ..
    Till the next episode...
  • edited February 2011
    I have a question, do you think the game is more annoying to the people that are complaning? Or are the people complaining more annoying to the people that respect what Telltale is trying (and accomplishing) to do? The latter in a landslide.
  • edited February 2011
    bmo1616 wrote: »
    I have a question, do you think the game is more annoying to the people that are complaning? Or are the people complaining more annoying to the people that respect what Telltale is trying (and accomplishing) to do? The latter in a landslide.
    "Accomplishing to do" isn't grammatically accurate.

And personally, I find people who have legitimate concerns based on a critical analysis of the product are far less bothersome than people who complain about "complainers" without any thought behind it other than "I don't like it when people say things that don't remind me of rainbows and sunshine". Now, I'm not sure where the actual product lies in this spectrum, but I certainly think that this is somewhat moot when what you have to say is a direct attack against expressions of a valid viewpoint and against a specific section of the community. Attacking people, rather than approaching them with respect and refuting or otherwise engaging their arguments with counterarguments of your own, is far more rude than any expression of dissatisfaction.
  • edited February 2011
    Most "complainers" who didn't like the game are actually being pretty nice about it. They are able to explain that they disliked/were dissapointed by the game and give reasons for why they feel that way. I'm just sort of annoyed with some people who choose to review the game in a Simon Cowell-ish sort of way, being unneccessarily rude in order to get their point across. But, like I said, most of the people who gave negative reviews were able to avoid doing this.
  • edited February 2011
    It was good, but what i like the best is the feeling that there is a bigger story behind this, and the part of doc as a president or dictator sounds appealing. Hope theres a story behind, an im sure that einstein came to 1986 from another time, not 1931, and doc thinks that he accidently got in the car and came to 1986.

Everything ok, hope to see more than hill valleys park, and 1931, please give me more locations, and more times...it seems like the idea behind the game is great, but the development is kinda mediocre... this second part had like two new locations...common...u can do better than that...over that love the game and dont need harder puzzles actually...love the story just would like to see more of 1986, martys house, high school, band, the soda, differente locations...i just saw doc garage, a bar, kinda mrs strickland house, and thats about it... damnn
  • edited February 2011
    Well judging by that post, seems you're being a bit hypocritical. You don't want people to be disrespectful and attack others, yet the first thing you write attacks my grammar. So people have the right to complain about the game, but I don't have the right to complain about the complainers? And let's face it, some of the complainers are not being respectful to the game creators. That's what I was accomplishing to do.

"Accomplishing to do" isn't grammatically accurate.

And personally, I find people who have legitimate concerns based on a critical analysis of the product are far less bothersome than people who complain about "complainers" without any thought behind it other than "I don't like it when people say things that don't remind me of rainbows and sunshine". Now, I'm not sure where the actual product lies in this spectrum, but I certainly think that this is somewhat moot when what you have to say is a direct attack against expressions of a valid viewpoint and against a specific section of the community. Attacking people, rather than approaching them with respect and refuting or otherwise engaging their arguments with counterarguments of your own, is far more rude than any expression of dissatisfaction.
  • edited February 2011
    An attack and a correction are entirely different things. Your grammar was inaccurate and I pointed it out, this is a fact. If I said your grammar was inaccurate, and thus you are an insipid fool whose very presence is a cancer to the community, then that would be an attack. It would behoove you to acknowledge the difference between these things.

And yes, people have the right to express a dissatisfaction with the game they have purchased, especially since they bought it as a package deal and may be wishing they didn't have to play through episodes 2-5. On the other hand, other users don't have the right to say other user's points are invalid. I should not be allowed to say nobody is allowed to praise the game. If I said that, then I would indeed be a hypocrite, because I would be denying others the right to express themselves that I myself expected from others. Everything I have said fits into a concise, polite ideology of forum behavior that is enforced by common forum etiquette and the past actions and statements of forum moderators: All opinions are okay, as long as they are not a direct attack on other people. You are free to find and post examples if you like, but I think it would be a daunting task to find a comment that is actually an attack against any person, including the game's developers. You may find people passionate about their content, which is entirely allowed, but not an attack against them as people. Feel free to prove me wrong on that count, though.
  • edited February 2011
    Well I apologize, I didn't realize I'd be arguing with someone who has the vocabulary of a Harvard English professor. However one wonders why someone as intelligent as you leaves over 500 comments on a computer gaming site. Have a wonderful evening.
  • edited February 2011
    Harvard English professors have a larger lexicon to draw from, I'm sure. Besides, vocabulary just affects the list of words you can draw from, not the arguments you can make. Those are based on logic and critical thinking. It's an entirely different skillset from what is used by memorizing words.

And what, intelligent people aren't allowed to like video games? Even if they aren't, I've never seen myself as particularly intelligent, anyway.
  • edited February 2011
    Besides, vocabulary just affects the list of words you can draw from, not the arguments you can make

But keep in mind that a lack of vocabulary can lead to easy misinterpretation of ones presented arguments or rather a mispresentation of what the person truly wanted to say. The larger your vocabulary the more specific you can translate thoughts and feelings to texts.
    This is what I have most trouble with being a non-native english speaker, I am just short of being on that level where I can truly express what I think. =(
  • edited February 2011
    Personally i was surprised that someone, somewhere, sometime dared to hit the release button for something like this but it was partly fun for the kids again. They mainly aren't interested in the puzzles, they just want to watch the story.
  • edited February 2011
    Origami wrote: »
    But keep in mind that a lack of vocabulary can lead to easy misinterpretation of ones presented arguments or rather a mispresentation of what the person truly wanted to say. The larger your vocabulary the more specific you can translate thoughts and feelings to texts.
    This is what I have most trouble with being a non-native english speaker, I am just short of being on that level where I can truly express what I think. =(
    Ah, I suppose it is different when you're a non-native speaker, but I think any native speaker that has reached fluency has all the tools needed to express themselves. I'm sorry, I never meant to make a slant against non-native English speakers. I have nothing but respect for anyone that learns even one non-native language, I know from experience that it's not an easy thing to do.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm playing Tales of Monkey Island for the first time while playing Back to The Future and i have to say BTTF is much easier, I'm fairly disappointed in the difficulty level and the length of each episode so far. Having said that, I love the movies, so really enjoy playing as Marty McFly, just wish the episodes were longer and the puzzles were a bit more difficult.
  • edited February 2011
    "RatherDashing

No, I wasn't offended at all. Although mostly correct, my own experience didn't agree with you on one point which is that a person doesn't need a respectable vocabulary to deliver arguments. =)
  • edited February 2011
    I loved the drunk officer in the speakeasy, I hope he turns up in episode 3!
  • edited February 2011
    ^
    'drunk officer'? You do know who he was right?
  • edited February 2011
    Just got round to completing episode two. Now I am a huge fan of Telltale, but this episode had a lot of issues for me. I have ran into so many aspects of the game that are very very unpolished, askew camera angles that clearly wern't mean to be, animations doubling over, audio lines being repeated, and a lot of very jerky animations. You would think with such a massive title, quality would be a top priority. This ruined the experience for me. Overall it just felt very...rushed.

I would much prefer having to wait 2-3 months between episodes if the end experience was a lot more polished than this (Anyone agree? Maybe we could start a poll here). Telltale are fantastic for meeting schedules and I know there will be budgets in place and targets to meet but it seems like the one month gap is not enough time for them.

I hope I havent come off too harsh, I do like the game and I have enjoyed all of Telltales previous games, but BTTF has to be one of my favourite film franchises and I really did expect more.
  • edited February 2011
    How times change.

-Source

So in December 2006 Telltale had released the two Bones games, Culture Shock, and Situation: Comedy. What you seem to be implying here is that what we're seeing with Back to the Future represents a big shift in Telltale's fundamental philosophy, for the worse. Contrasting what you've played of Back to the Future with the games Telltale had released at the time of the Grossman quote you chose to use, can you point to where they've betrayed themselves?

I ask this because, as much as Telltale has gradually refined themselves over the years, their vision for the particular type of games they make has always been pretty, even remarkably consistent at a broad level. Even when I play Out from Boneville, it's not that far removed from this year's stuff in the type of experience they're going for... it's so clearly "Telltale," for better or worse, in the same way their latest release is. My question is, did Back to the Future really sneak up on you? Has their approach really changed that much?
  • edited March 2011
    Petite intervention en français.
    J'ai été un peu déçue par le second épisode : trop court, trop facile, peu de nouveautés (décors, endroits à découvrir) et surtout... pratiquement pas de puzzles. C'était un peu frustrant d'être tout le temps confiné dans un tout petit espace (sous le bar, par exemple) avec trois points d'interactions...
    Quand même impatiente de voir le suivant.

//

I was a bit desappointed with this second episode : it was too short, too easy, there was too few new stuff (places to go, things to discover) and on top of that... almost no puzzle. It was also a bit frustrating to be often stuck into small places (like under the speak-easy countertop) with only two or three interaction points...
    I still look forward next episode, though :)
  • edited March 2011
    My main concern with the episode was, as so many people mentioned, the lack of difficulty. Often there's no thinking when it comes to puzzles and due to the limited interaction points in some areas, the decisions you're expected to make are obvious.

I found both Trixie and Parker to be likeable characters and I enjoyed interacting with them. They seem like very promising characters and I hope they have roles in future episodes. As mentioned before on another thread, often times I found myself visiting Doc in order to listen to Christopher Lloyd's voice acting.

Generally, a decent episode but I have higher hopes for Citizen Brown.
  • edited March 2011
    Well, disappointed with the first two episodes, due to the same reasons everyone else is saying. Short and easy as can be. Citizen Brown looks like it might be pretty interesting, here's hoping you don't spend the whole game back in 1931 trying to break up Emmett and Edna.
  • edited March 2011
    Finally finished Episode 2! Well...what can I say? I really love this game , but it was too easy. I finished the 2nd episode in 2 hours. :O TellTale please make the next episodes harder. :)
  • edited March 2011
    I enjoyed this episode a whole lot more than episode 1 (one of the main reasons being I watched episode 1 on youtube then played it.) There is a whole lot more drama and making it feel like your on the edge and feeling like your so close to getting caught. This was so exciting. Maybe have that many (or 1 less) times having to hide behind stuff to protect you from getting caught or protecting yourself. I found myself hiding behind items for several reasons at least 3 times. Maybe they should tone the drama down a bit (by bit tone it down by 1 - 10%.) I overall give this game an 8 - 9.5.

TellTale Games should definetly make more than 5 episodes!!!! I love this game!!!!! These types of games (science fiction) really make a person think. I found myself trying to figure a couple scenarios out.

SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW! SPOILER BELOW!

Like if Doc really did give up science back in 1932 (which he apparently did) then he would have never time traveled to the past and never save Marty, catch Kid Tannen, or have had Einstein there and Marty's life would return to where his Dad was a nerd. And Biff would have been the way he was in the first Back To The Future movie. But then again in the preview somehow its different and Biff is even more kind. Strange universe Marty lives in.

BTTF ROCKS!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Everyone is aloud there opinion but if im gonna be truthfull everyone seems to be exgaratting a bit of how good it is my reason:

I know that games are meant to be fun and all and not entirely realistic but I couldn't help feel it didn't fit with Back To The Future all that well, even with some help from Bob Gale. A lot of walking a round whilst combining things for a silly outcome doesn't fit all that well for BTTF. McFly's voice actor did a better job than Christopher Lloyd who now sounds like he's dying from dehydration. It could have been better.
    It seems too be lacking a certain 'Bttf' Charm, even thought they were easy I feel it concentrates a lot more on puzzles than back to the future which after all the game is about!!!

(I hope i didnt write anything to harsh but i want to be truthfull, it is ok but need a big improvment if telltale wants to serouisly impress fans.

(i copied a few lines from someone elses review :D)
  • edited March 2011
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    McFly's voice actor did a better job than Christopher Lloyd who now sounds like he's dying from dehydration.

(I hope i didnt write anything to harsh but i want to be truthfull, it is ok but need a big improvment if telltale wants to serouisly impress fans.

(i copied a few lines from someone elses review :D)

I'm a completely new guy around here - but I do hope the voice acting critique was one of the lines you copied from another source, because...well...but actually I thought the SAME thing until a friend of mine corrected me, heheh.

I'm actually enjoying this game immensely - maybe just because it takes me back to the 80s & all its glory (or the parts I consider glory, that is.) Sure, it's got its lil' problems here & there - & a few things have me scratching my head, but I'm staying positive & keeping the faith that everything will make complete sense in the end (well, sense for BTTF anyway.) Thanks for a great & fun game that my whole family is enjoying - can't wait for Citizen Brown!
  • edited March 2011
    HeroicJay wrote: »
    It's not random. Don't blame the designers if you couldn't solve it yourself.

You have to pick the answer that BEGINS with the same word or partial word as the doorkeeper's line ENDS.

*AHEM* Spoiler tags, please!
    Actually, I thought this was the easiest puzzle I've met in a Telltale game so far. You got a pretty big hint in the piece of paper on the bar desk. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    There is no "correct" choice. In episode 1, you could pick a name, and the characters called you that no matter which one you picked.

In ep2 Edna called me Mr. Crockett once, but otherwise I was Mike Corleone, which I guess was what I picked in the last game (I actually don't remember). If the game is actually remembering what you picked and playing specific lines to reflect that, then good on Telltale for doing it (even if it's occasionally glitchy). That's a neat detail that was probably a pain to implement.

And yes, it is actually doing that, and it works here. I picked Sonny Crockett and have never been called anything else. And I thought that was pretty nifty. :)
  • edited March 2011
    I lliked it. It was kind of harder. I like this episode more. It could be the setting (I liked the setting when Marty wore a mustache the most.) It was better. And at the end, I was like oh my goodness! When the whole thing with Doc happened. That was unusual. Normally Marty's life is at jeapordy, not Doc.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.